Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Ill Leave this, I dont care either way but I have no plans of flying the flag despite my deep love for the south.

The Truth is what it is.

In what later became known as the Cornerstone Speech, C.S. Vice President Alexander Stephens declared that the "cornerstone" of the new government "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth".[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-10][11][/url] In later years, however, Stephens made efforts to qualify his remarks, claiming they were extemporaneous, metaphorical, and never meant to literally reflect "the principles of the new Government on this subject."[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-11][12][/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-12][13][/url]

Four of the seceding states, the Deep South states of South Carolina,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-13][14][/url] Mississippi,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-14][15][/url] Georgia,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-15][16][/url] and Texas,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-Thetext-16][17][/url] issued formal declarations of causes, each of which identified the threat to slaveholders’ rights as the cause of, or a major cause of, secession. Georgia also claimed a general Federal policy of favoring Northern over Southern economic interests. Texas mentioned slavery 21 times, but also listed the failure of the federal government to live up to its obligations, in the original annexation agreement, to protect settlers along the exposed western frontier.

Texas further stated:

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

And again:

That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-Thetext-16][17][/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"That flag means to me southern heritage. I love the  south. I've always lived in the south. Everything about the south, to me, is  great," Thomas said.

I'll drink a beer with that guy any day of the week

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
so what if they guy was white? would he have been allowed to hang it back up?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so what if they guy was white? would he have been allowed to hang it back up?

He probally would have been fined and expelled from school.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Some here don't know the difference between a Yankee and a Damn-Yankee
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to shake that young man's hand.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell Yeah, buy that man a beer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL... I always enjoy these threads. Like watching the Hatfields and McCoys and about as much intellectual stimulation as one would expect.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i'm a yankee.  i'm not offended by the stars and bars at all, but i've gotta admit i sure as fuck don't get this......

growing up in TX, i've seen plenty of blacks and hispanics that have had the flag on their cars/trucks...

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i'm a yankee.  i'm not offended by the stars and bars at all, but i've gotta admit i sure as fuck don't get this......

You sure don't get it. This is the Stars And Bars:

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome!

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
What an asshole, doesn't he know what that flag symbolizes for black peo... wait, what the fuck?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Wonder if he has a "Crackers for Cain" or "Honkies for Herman" bumper sticker?

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Thomas said he also dislikes the term “African American” because it makes him feel like a half-citizen.

“I was not born in Africa, I was born in Augusta, Georgia,” he said in the video.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

Yeah, I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with it flying at every fucking coward Klan rally since 1865..................................    
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

Yeah, I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with it flying at every fucking coward Klan rally since 1865..................................    

As posted earlier in this thread, the Klan burned crosses. Does that make a cross racist too?

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just to clarify:

A  "Yank"is an American to a Brit.
A "Yankee" is someone from above the Mason/Dixon line, often with strange personal views & habits by Southern standards.
A "Damn Yankee" is someone who moved down South and is still here. Many times they are "Crusaders" or people who try to change things here so it can be just like where they moved from.

I for one, welcome Yankees. How else are they supposed to learn proper manners & behavior!

Hessian-1

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Heritage.  Not Hate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As posted earlier in this thread, the Klan burned crosses. Does that make a cross racist too?

Don't you dare tread on their double standards.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm from the South and I'm not racist. The Rebel flag is a symbol of southern heritage and also means the same as the Gadsen Flag.

It's not a racist symbol.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those same Klan members also fly the American flag, guess that's a racist symbol now too.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless him.

To me it has ALWAYS meant States Rights and Southern pride.

NAACP? Oh really? And, I thought the KKK using it and people flying it in opposition to civil rights for black people made it a racist symbol to many.

This
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the Civil Rights movement, the Confederate Battle Flag was used to show disgust for desegregation. I can't recall people flying Confederate flags during the Civil Rights movement marching together with black people for equal rights. So, yea, it will come off has racist to many.

I am repeating myself..
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i'll just throw this out here:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/IMG109.jpg

I took that picture a month or so ago here locally. He goes by the nick name "Black Cowboy" and he IS a cowboy.

His great great grand dad fought for the South in the war.

eta: oh and he predictably hates the KKK not only for what they stand for but also for corrupting his flags image.

This man is the biggest blackneck I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn-Yankees are the only ones offended by the Stars and Bars.

THIS,  southern man don't need them around anyhow.
Neil Young still sucks!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]
true story,dumptruck owner had a confederate flag tag on the back of his dumptruck,was told by contractor he was hauling for he had to take it off because of complaint from city official had a logger who had confederate flag painted on hood of his logging truck told by paper mill he hauled to he had to remove it or lose his contract both these things happened in virginia!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to clarify:

A  "Yank"is an American to a Brit.
A "Yankee" is someone from above the Mason/Dixon line, often with strange personal views & habits by Southern standards.
A "Damn Yankee" is someone who moved down South and is still here. Many times they are "Crusaders" or people who try to change things here so it can be just like where they moved from.

I for one, welcome Yankees. How else are they supposed to learn proper manners & behavior!

Hessian-1

Dont forget the carpetbaggers that rob everybody!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I saw a thug rap video a while back with rebel flags as their backdrop.  I think the southern rappers have begun adopting the flag.

Lil Jon did that back 2000
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#33]
That's awesome that he stands for the truth.

Like me, it's sad what the new KKK did to the image of that beautiful flag.

As always, "don't be shy, let it fly!"
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#34]
The karate instructor of my former karate instructors name was Hulon Willis. He was the first black student at William and Mary, and was the head of the Physical Education Department at Virginia State University a historically black college that I am alumni of.  He headed up the Virginia section of Mas Oyamas Kyoukushin organization before Oyamas death and was active with the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai.

There is a picture that hung up in our dojo of Hulon Willis posing in front of a confederate flag, he was a big supporter of it being a symbol of southern heritage. Picture was taken in the 70's I think.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the Civil Rights movement, the Confederate Battle Flag was used to show disgust for desegregation. I can't recall people flying Confederate flags during the Civil Rights movement marching together with black people for equal rights. So, yea, it will come off has racist to many.

I am repeating myself..

Reinventing history is fun - if you can make the war not about slavery, why can't you make the flag not about resistance to desegregation?  Reality sucks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i'll just throw this out here:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/IMG109.jpg
SNIP He goes by the nick name "Black Cowboy" and he IS a cowboy.SNIP

I wonder how they came up with that nickname?
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn-Yankees are the only ones offended by the Stars and Bars.

Not true at all. I am only disgusted by seeing someone up here whose ancestors probably fought for The Union sticking one on their truck to be "cool". People from the south would be surprised to see how many times that flag is on display up here. Southerners can and should fly this flag if they want to for the same reasons this kid is flying one. People from the North that fly it are idiots.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they're on fire, YES.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Those same Klan members also fly the American flag, guess that's a racist symbol now too.  

Then you don't know jack shit about US History in general & Southern History in particular....................  
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am repeating myself..

Reinventing history is fun - if you can make the war not about slavery, why can't you make the flag not about resistance to desegregation?  Reality sucks.

once again you show what a trouble making coward you are.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am repeating myself..

once again you show what a trouble making coward you are.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am repeating myself..

In your sad little mind.

The more I see posts like yours, the more I want to go out and buy a nice high quality rebel flag. Why? Because I can and it bothers folks that are stuck on stupid.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Black student wins fight to hang Confederate flag in dorm window

Posted: Dec 02, 2011 9:28 AM MST
Updated: Dec 02, 2011 11:17 AM MST

http://www.wbtv.com/story/16173687/black-student-wins-fight-to-hang-confederate-flag-in-dorm-window

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - 18 year-old Byron Thomas, a North Augusta, SC, native and  freshman at USCB, is African American. He wants the right to hang the flag in  his dorm room window.

After multiple complaints, Thomas was told the flag must  come out of the window.

After an appeal by Thomas, along with national  attention and a review by university lawyers,  Thomas was told Thursday morning  it had been recommended by counsel that he be allowed to put the flag back up.  

"It probably is an infringement of his First Amendment  rights," Oblander said.

"The college told me personally I could put the flag back  up and exercise my Freedom of Speech," Thomas said.

"That flag means to me southern heritage. I love the  south. I've always lived in the south. Everything about the south, to me, is  great," Thomas said.

Could we please adopt a new policy: If someone's flag, bumper sticker, Christmas tree, public crucifix or whatever offends a person so much that they feel compelled to complain the complainant  be referred to psychological counseling.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Could we please adopt a new policy: If someone's flag, bumper sticker, Christmas tree, public crucifix or whatever offends a person so much that they feel compelled to complain the complainant  be referred to psychological counseling.

Ain't that the damn truth. Amazes me how fast someone will lose their mind and get violent because you called them the N word, fat, fag, dyke, stupid, retard, etc. If you are seriously that unstable you need some fucking help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am repeating myself..

In your sad little mind.

The more I see posts like yours, the more I want to go out and buy a nice high quality rebel flag. Why? Because I can and it bothers folks that are stuck on stupid.

You can go do whatever you want.  You can have a collection of flags of all sorts of defunct nations if you want.  What you can't do is change history, such as the clearly espoused motives of the secessionists and the Confederacy being established in part as a refutation of the "all men are created equal" assertion in the Declaration of Independence, and the reappearance of the flag during the civil rights movement, such as on the Georgia state flag in 1956 and over the South Carolina state capitol (which some insist was only to mark the 100th anniversary of the American Civil War, in typical "piss down my leg and tell me its raining" fashion).  The thoughts, speeches, and writings of the men involved are still there to be seen, by anyone who cares to look.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ill Leave this, I dont care either way but I have no plans of flying the flag despite my deep love for the south.

The Truth is what it is.
<snip>

Four of the seceding states, the Deep South states of South Carolina,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-13][14][/url] Mississippi,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-14][15][/url] Georgia,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-15][16][/url] and Texas,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#cite_note-Thetext-16][17][/url] issued formal declarations of causes, each of which identified the threat to slaveholders’ rights as the cause of, or a major cause of, secession. Georgia also claimed a general Federal policy of favoring Northern over Southern economic interests. Texas mentioned slavery 21 times, but also listed the failure of the federal government to live up to its obligations, in the original annexation agreement, to protect settlers along the exposed western frontier.

<snip>

Guess what?  Over 100 years later and the Feds still won't secure the TX border
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Good for him! It's heritage NOT hate!
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good for him! It's heritage NOT hate!

+1

Good for the kid.

Now to see about a general lee horn for the truck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I agree with you 100%. Our family has admitted several Yankees into the family to help them assimilate into the Southern culture
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am repeating myself..

In your sad little mind.

You can go do whatever you want.  You can have a collection of flags of all sorts of defunct nations if you want.  What you can't do is change history, such as the clearly espoused motives of the secessionists and the Confederacy being established in part as a refutation of the "all men are created equal" assertion in the Declaration of Independence, and the reappearance of the flag during the civil rights movement, such as on the Georgia state flag in 1956 and over the South Carolina state capitol (which some insist was only to mark the 100th anniversary of the American Civil War, in typical "piss down my leg and tell me its raining" fashion).  The thoughts, speeches, and writings of the men involved are still there to be seen, by anyone who cares to look.

Who said anything about changing history? I have chosen to take a broader view towards the flag and not cherry-pick certain events where losers flew it.

The Confederate battle flag did not magically reappear during the civil rights movement. It has always been around since the 1860's. It is just that you choose to roll with the PC types and believe only what the MSM feeds you. It is the path of least resistance but doesn't present the whole picture.

I have never displayed the Confederate battle flag but if asked I will reply that it is a beautiful piece of Southern heritage. What it represents to somebody else is not my problem and I will not buy one and hide it for fear of hurting some ones feelings.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top