User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My wife found the company that made the glasses for the first Blade Runner movie, and surprised me with them around Christmas, and so I felt that I had to buy the new bottle as well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/AC1FF0B0-90F9-4C65-BA8A-1C8360DB79FF-395240.jpg
View Quote
COOL!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take a link to those glasses, @DK-Prof, if your wife is feeling generous enough to share.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Movie prop weapon - I'm referring to that.
while there were several providers of replicas for the blaster of the original movie, there isn't any (worthy of note) artist or company doing the new one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean? The new blaster wasn't based on any existing firearm. There's no gun to "replicate" it with.
while there were several providers of replicas for the blaster of the original movie, there isn't any (worthy of note) artist or company doing the new one
I honestly think the movie blaster was just a chunk of plastic. Eventually we should have a spot on replica. I mean, I can't see it being tough to make.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got to watch it.  This has to be one of the greatest sci fi movies ever made. Absolutely stunning. Incredible story telling.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, it's pretty clear he views himself as a God, as his line to Luv proves. "It is customary for an angel entering the presence of God to bring gifts." or whatever he says. (again, paraphrasing. I'll have to watch it a few more times.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes, it's pretty clear he views himself as a God, as his line to Luv proves. "It is customary for an angel entering the presence of God to bring gifts." or whatever he says. (again, paraphrasing. I'll have to watch it a few more times.)
The second of the short films really fill in the gaps.

Blade Runner 2049 - The Years Between | official short films (2017)
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
At a guess - I would think any replicas of the new blaster would fall under copyright or trademark or whatever, and need be officially licensed.

Whereas the old stuff at least falls under the radar or is perhaps common usage or whatever now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At a guess - I would think any replicas of the new blaster would fall under copyright or trademark or whatever, and need be officially licensed.

Whereas the old stuff at least falls under the radar or is perhaps common usage or whatever now.
View Quote
Yep, it must be something of that sort indeed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats to Roger Deakins, well deserved!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw it on a plane this week, so not the best viewing environment..... but I must say, the Luv character was amazing. She made the movie for me. I have a thing for hard, stone-cold women.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Saw it on a plane this week, so not the best viewing environment..... but I must say, the Luv character was amazing. She made the movie for me. I have a thing for hard, stone-cold women.
View Quote
You are in the same boat as me, almost. I wanted to see it on IMAX, but I missed out because I waited a couple weeks too long.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are in the same boat as me, almost. I wanted to see it on IMAX, but I missed out because I waited a couple weeks too long.
View Quote
I decided to see 2049 on IMAX opening night in Hollywood because I never saw Blade Runner in the theater
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Just watched it on the airplane, that movie sucked!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Her reaction is why I was wondering about the scene.  I didn't see fear as much as empathy, sorrow.  Even the most evil replicant has a touch of humanity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Luv character was outstanding! Small and thin, beautiful but hard edged, razor focused and yet emotional, and of course brutally lethal.

The scene when she kills the lab tech was powerful - as was her final interaction with Robin Wright's character. Luv makes it clear she despises not just lower Replicants but many humans as well. That actress is very good.

I hoped at the end she would turn (in the interests of her kind) but obviously her loyalty to Wallace was too great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30143/Sylvia_Hoeks_Luv-436077.JPG
Loyalty was not her motivation. She lived in absolute fear of her creator. Note how she trembled when he was inspecting/discarding the new model. The whole scene she was likely wondering if he was going to open her femoral too.
Her reaction is why I was wondering about the scene.  I didn't see fear as much as empathy, sorrow.  Even the most evil replicant has a touch of humanity.  
Note in the scene where the new model is examined, Wallace says: "Let's take a look inside." and Luv installs his "seeing" chip and the drone eyeballs come in for a look.  I say Luv was terrified because most of the drones are examining the new model, but one never leaves the right side of Luv's head.  BTW, the Luv character is interesting to me. She is physically flawless, apparently strong and as fast as a leopard, has a mind capable of total recall, is a slick saleswoman and her senses miss nothing, but her behavior in times of violence is almost childlike in maturity. Like when she shouts "Im the best!" to K. She wants to please Wallace, maybe like a child would if they had an abusive parent. I'm not a psychiatrist, but there is term for that unusual devotion abused children exhibit to monstrous parents.  Maybe Luv is actually only eight years old in reality and the programmed varnish can't cover that sometimes. The gal that played that part was excellent. I'm also not an Oscar judge, but that was some Oscar grade acting, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think it's too long, it could use some careful editing.

The music was good, but only two pieces are memorable, "Mesa" and "All the best memories are her's".
The music is in no way as good or memorable as the Vangelis score for the original Blade Runner.  Virtually every piece of his sticks with you and stays with you since the original movie came out.

Of all the actors, "Luv" was the most vibrant.  In any scene she's in you can't take your eyes off her.  Just standing there draws your eye to her.

Questions....

Why is it necessary to make movies so dark that you can't see what the hell is going on?  I tried on both my flat screen TV and computer and can hardly make out much of the movie even with the brightness run all the way up.
The attack on Luv's limo and the fight in the water is mostly just a dark screen with a little shadowy movement.

Do you think it might be possible to somehow make the credits and beginning text smaller and harder to read.  I was almost able to read some of it so they need to do better next time.

The whole point of the two movies is, What is a human?  What is NOT a human.
If we can make an artificial human, not a robot or android, but a live human, limit his life span or force him to obey, does it make it alright that we've made slaves?
Because we make them does that absolve us of being slave masters?
If we manufacture slaves does that make us less human?
If our manufactured slaves have feelings, are they not human?
If they have feelings how do we justify keeping them as slaves?
Because the replicants have feelings, are they truly "More Human Than Human".
If you are manufactured do you have a soul?  Why not?

Apparently the humans of this future have fallen very far.  
The humans are no longer human and the Men of 1861 to 1865 were wasted.
View Quote
The earth, in this story, is dying.  The replicants are slaves, but not technically "human". The human race has a habit of vilifying anything to ensure it's own survival.  A rapidly dying planet and a chance to survive offworld are easy motivations to overlook moral issues like the abuse of replicants. Plus, Wallace is seen as savior of the world with his food production methods and creation of slaves.  Note that he openly admits to Luv that every civilization that ever existed "became great at the expense of other races". Bet he makes no such admissions in mixed company.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Note in the scene where the new model is examined, Wallace says: "Let's take a look inside." and Luv installs his "seeing" chip and the drone eyeballs come in for a look.  I say Luv was terrified because most of the drones are examining the new model, but one never leaves the right side of Luv's head.  BTW, the Luv character is interesting to me. She is physically flawless, apparently strong and as fast as a leopard, has a mind capable of total recall, is a slick saleswoman and her senses miss nothing, but her behavior in times of violence is almost childlike in maturity. Like when she shouts "Im the best!" to K. She wants to please Wallace, maybe like a child would if they had an abusive parent. I'm not a psychiatrist, but there is term for that unusual devotion abused children exhibit to monstrous parents.  Maybe Luv is actually only eight years old in reality and the programmed varnish can't cover that sometimes. The gal that played that part was excellent. I'm also not an Oscar judge, but that was some Oscar grade acting, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Luv character was outstanding! Small and thin, beautiful but hard edged, razor focused and yet emotional, and of course brutally lethal.

The scene when she kills the lab tech was powerful - as was her final interaction with Robin Wright's character. Luv makes it clear she despises not just lower Replicants but many humans as well. That actress is very good.

I hoped at the end she would turn (in the interests of her kind) but obviously her loyalty to Wallace was too great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30143/Sylvia_Hoeks_Luv-436077.JPG
Loyalty was not her motivation. She lived in absolute fear of her creator. Note how she trembled when he was inspecting/discarding the new model. The whole scene she was likely wondering if he was going to open her femoral too.
Both of you guys have really mind stimulating theories. Which again, is why I love films like this, that we all could sit in a single room together on couches and talk about this movie for a looong time.

Because like great master pieces of art, this can be seen from so many angles and each of us has our own biases on it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Both of you guys have really mind stimulating theories. Which again, is why I love films like this, that we all could sit in a single room together on couches and talk about this movie for a looong time.

Because like great master pieces of art, this can be seen from so many angles and each of us has our own biases on it.
View Quote
In my opinion the film is shot from a continental European mindset which many Americans can’t relate to. In any case the Director is now down on himself https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-director-denis-villeneuve-made-monster-wont/ Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At the end of the movie, was Deckers daughter watching Ks last memories of the snowfall as he died?

I sure think she was.  Beautiful, isn’t it.
View Quote
I wondered the same thing about the snowfall.  K was dying just a few yards from her enclosure. When she first read his (her actual) memory all K had to do was think about the memory and she was able to read it.  I guess it's a proximity thing.  He was fairly close, so maybe her equipment was reading a portion of what he was feeling/experiencing at his end.

Thought it was cool that they used the same music as Roy's death.  Both of them were programmed to be calculating, coldblooded  and merciless killers, but both granted mercies to Deckard at the end of life. K is supposed to be an improved model over Roy's generation. A similar end of life experience should not have happened with K. Tyrell and Wallace were not as brilliant as they thought. Some things cannot be totally eradicated.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
what it really did was to make her look like a drag queen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...they used CGI to de-age her...
what it really did was to make her look like a drag queen.
No,  drag queens copied Rachel. :) It was thirty years ago.

If you watch the original, Rachel, played by a young Sean Young, was made to look doll like. Heavy makeup (though she did not need any to look pretty) and looked like some weird contacts to make her eyes catch reflected light like that replicant owl. Guess they did that to hint early that she was a replicant.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got to watch it.  This has to be one of the greatest sci fi movies ever made. Absolutely stunning. Incredible story telling.
View Quote
I was a bored teenager and watched the original on a matinee to kill some time. Just on a lark.  The thing that hooked me was that I kept thinking about the movie long after I left the theater. Puzzlements, galore.  Few films I've sought to watch more than once.  I bought the original and rewatched it every couple of years.  Went into this one thinking it would be another let down sequel.  Damned if this one didn't stick harder in my mind than the first. Still does and I've watched it three times since on Blue Ray. They did a hell of a job. My only critique of both is damn flying cars.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you watch the original, Rachel, played by a young Sean Young, was made to look doll like. Heavy makeup (though she did not need any to look pretty) and looked like some weird contacts to make her eyes catch reflected light like that replicant owl. Guess they did that to hint early that she was a replicant.
View Quote
of course--dolls were a recurring visual motif of the original.  regardless, this looks like a woman:

Attachment Attached File

this looks like a man in drag:

Attachment Attached File

i respect the technical ability that the scene required, but the uncanny valley is still a thing.  could have been solved with one line of dialogue--something like "that a bad copy" instead of the green eyes line.  but as is, it just didn't work for me.  it was like they modeled sean young's current face, then tried to de-age it without understanding how a face changes as one gets older.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#27]
lol..$138 for two glasses?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Distance would prevent that, but I'll start in on another puzzlement that's been eating me....

Was Wallace a replicant built by Tyrell?  Maybe a secret "genius son" model of the same gen as Reproductive Rachel? He does look too young to have been around to snap up the remnants of Tyrell Corp after the old man's death. Tyrell was a higher level of smarts than Wallace. Maybe Tyrell added blindness to delay Wallace's accent to his throne...wouldn't want the kid putting him in an early grave to do so.  (Whoops, another son did it anyway, out of rage)  Roy murdered Tyrell by pushing his thumbs into the old man's eye sockets.  I don't think that is coincidence.

Smoke on that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

of course--dolls were a recurring visual motif of the original.  regardless, this looks like a woman:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26435/rachel1-472264.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26435/blade-runner-2049-sean-young-mpc-vfx-13-hero-472265.JPG

i respect the technical ability that the scene required, but the uncanny valley is still a thing.  could have been solved with one line of dialogue--something like "that a bad copy" instead of the green eyes line.  but as is, it just didn't work for me.  it was like they modeled sean young's current face, then tried to de-age it without understanding how a face changes as one gets older.
View Quote
I Always thought her hair, the texture, waviness, and all, made it look just like a doll's hair too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26435/blade-runner-2049-sean-young-mpc-vfx-13-hero-472265.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right. In CG stuff I recall reading something about texture mapping.  It's like peeling off the skin of another's face and CG taxidermy that hide onto a form.  If they used the real Sean Young for the form, well, the lady was a stunning beaut young, but she did not age well. The face did CGy, but it won't be long before they won't even need real "face" actors. Just voice folks.  You won't be able to tell.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I Always thought her hair, the texture, waviness, and all, made it look just like a doll's hair too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called that style "the Joan Crawford".  Kind of 40's looking outfit too.  Always hated Crawford. Now that thing looked like a tranny.  I much preferred the scene when Young had her hair down. Lawdy, she was an easy on the eyes. Gratuitous pic, just for reference....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tN-Ngo9SdN8/TwhxcZQvU5I/AAAAAAAAJBg/u6zkrPC2C-4/s640/piano+robe+sean+young+Blade+Runner.jpg
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Very cool but damn, $138.  Hate to drop one of those.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My wife is very nice.    Also, for a crystal tumbler, that’s not actually too outrageous.

Interestingly, they LOOK very fragile, but we discovered they are pretty robust when our asshole cat knocked one of them off a bookcase, and it fell about five feet onto a hardwood floor ... and survived without any chips or cracks or anything.
View Quote
Stop it damnit!  My will power is holding on by a thread!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
That sucks, It looked incredible. When theaters started pulling it two weeks after release, I knew I had to hustle. Not a week after I saw it, the IMAX theater near me pulled it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Congrats to Roger Deakins, well deserved!
View Quote
And a LONG time coming, too, after 14 fucking nominations!

He is THE MAN!

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Roger Deakins wins Oscar for Best Cinematography - Oscars 2018 - Full Backstage Interview
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#38]
So Vegas is radioactive. The humans they set after Decker had to wear gas masks. But the replicants were just fine in it... ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So Vegas is radioactive. The humans they set after Decker had to wear gas masks. But the replicants were just fine in it... ?
View Quote
I guess you missed it when K ran through the wall.  Straight through it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm getting them!

I can drink whiskey from them as I feel around inside my mouth for loose teeth while spitting blood into the sink.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife is very nice.    Also, for a crystal tumbler, that’s not actually too outrageous.

Interestingly, they LOOK very fragile, but we discovered they are pretty robust when our asshole cat knocked one of them off a bookcase, and it fell about five feet onto a hardwood floor ... and survived without any chips or cracks or anything.
View Quote
"...asshole cat..."

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"...asshole cat..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"...asshole cat..."

Isn't that redundant?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They missiled the room before landing. Debris in the air would make me want to wear a respirator too.did they gas the place as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They missiled the room before landing. Debris in the air would make me want to wear a respirator too.did they gas the place as well?
Ah, makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That sucks, It looked incredible. When theaters started pulling it two weeks after release, I knew I had to hustle. Not a week after I saw it, the IMAX theater near me pulled it.
View Quote
Yeah. Hopefully when I can get a 75inch or 80inch UHD TV, I can experience it somewhat like IMAX.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was under the impression that the radiation had significantly decreased since Vegas was abandoned, as signified by the bees surviving there.  Also suggests that there is thriving flora somewhere in the area to support the bees.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm getting them!

I can drink whiskey from them as I feel around inside my mouth for loose teeth while spitting blood into the sink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm getting them!

I'm so weak. Ordered both the glasses and the Johnny Walker directors cut. Since it isn't available in GA, I had to phone a friend, and it is now shipped.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Sigh...........
This place costing me money yet again............
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm debating on buying the Blu-Ray or a digital copy. I've owned close to a half-dozen versions of the original film, from VHS to DVD plus Director Cuts. I may just a buy a copy on Youtube if I ever see a sale.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top