Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having to point out that explaining yourself - and furthering the discussion of the thread, instead of making everyone play 20 questions to try to discern what you meant and not have to guess at it - is what I am "combative" over.
View Quote
I'm sorry, but as I pointed out, this kind of Christ imagery is very common in art, and people used to instantly recognize it without needing somebody to explain it.

I guess it's a symptom of the death of Christianity in the west.

ETA: Or maybe just art education.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay so earlier in the thread somebody mentioned how Sapper must have been a rich man, or I mean potentially rich because of the value of the authentic wood horse statue but..

Didn't Dekard carve the horse for his daughter as a gift and plaything way back when? I mean, I got that impression because of the carved wooden animal figures Deckard had there in his dwelling, in various stages of completion ....like he was the carver and still engaged in the activity to pass the time and perhaps remind him of his child.....?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The fact that the police department clearly purchased him from Wallace to work as a Blade Runner who specializes in killing/retiring replicants.

If he were the actual child, there is simply no way he could have been owned by Wallace and sold to the police department.
View Quote
Wanting something to be true can have a powerful effect on memory. People's desires override and edit their memory all the time.

It could also be that he doesn't believe he's that child, but he definitely has the memory and is compelled to find out why.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was my impression.  Later, when Freysa says Sapper "allowed himself to be killed", I was thinking whoa, it didn't look that way to me.  
View Quote
He'd have to make it convincing to have any chance at throwing pursuit off the trail. If he killed himself they'd just want to know what was so important for him to hide.

As an aside, one of the crappy aspects of the original short story is that replicants wouldn't defend themselves when attacked.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He drinks with his boss at one point, I think? I believe that is what Flamicane was referring to?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its also a reflection of her mentor, she is imitating Wallace. She kisses K after stabbing him like Wallace did as well.

K likes to drink whiskey like his mentor Joshi but I'm not sure if it is significant or not other than to humanize him (and her).
I think it's another device to interact with Joi.  Like the cigarette, except less 'real' because he has to drink her glass himself.

The only other time you see him drink in the movie is when Deckard offers him one.
He drinks with his boss at one point, I think? I believe that is what Flamicane was referring to?
Yes, I think he refuses it but she pours a drink right before Luv kills her as well. I just saw it as K imitating her, trying to be human and Joshi trying to cope with what she was ordering.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's harkening to an archetypal story.  K isn't Christ, and they aren't saying that he is Christ, but they are used that scene to show K's sacrifice for something greater than himself.  The greatest love of all (and thus what it means to be human) is to lay down your life for others.  It shows the humanity of the replicants, and the inhumanity of mankind which is doing the exact opposite - creating replicants and requiring that they lay down their lives for humans involuntarily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have it on iTunes and have watched it probably a dozen times.  (Though not often paying attention - it's on right now, actually, in the background while I work).

I just don't see it.  He is wounded, yes.   And in those places.  But comparing him to Christ using those is a large stretch.
It's harkening to an archetypal story.  K isn't Christ, and they aren't saying that he is Christ, but they are used that scene to show K's sacrifice for something greater than himself.  The greatest love of all (and thus what it means to be human) is to lay down your life for others.  It shows the humanity of the replicants, and the inhumanity of mankind which is doing the exact opposite - creating replicants and requiring that they lay down their lives for humans involuntarily.
Throughout his investigation and discovered revelations, K may have become more of a disciple then, maybe?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Throughout his investigation and discovered revelations, K may have become more of a disciple then, maybe?
View Quote
He became one of the rebel replicants. So in a way, yes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Loyalty was not her motivation. She lived in absolute fear of her creator. Note how she trembled when he was inspecting/discarding the new model. The whole scene she was likely wondering if he was going to open her femoral too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Luv character was outstanding! Small and thin, beautiful but hard edged, razor focused and yet emotional, and of course brutally lethal.

The scene when she kills the lab tech was powerful - as was her final interaction with Robin Wright's character. Luv makes it clear she despises not just lower Replicants but many humans as well. That actress is very good.

I hoped at the end she would turn (in the interests of her kind) but obviously her loyalty to Wallace was too great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30143/Sylvia_Hoeks_Luv-436077.JPG
Loyalty was not her motivation. She lived in absolute fear of her creator. Note how she trembled when he was inspecting/discarding the new model. The whole scene she was likely wondering if he was going to open her femoral too.
Her reaction is why I was wondering about the scene.  I didn't see fear as much as empathy, sorrow.  Even the most evil replicant has a touch of humanity.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John the Baptist if anything. At least he got to keep his head.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well he didn't care about her feelings he was pissed her uterus didn't work so he cut her. Notice how Luv kills Joshi the same way?

C-sections for everybody!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To establish his indifference to his creations (and his danger as a villain).  Wallace sees them as things, to be discarded like a used tissue on a whim.   As to that particular scene, I took it as a "another failure... back the drawing board" moment.
Yeah. Sort of like a blemished part coming off the injection molding machine. It gets tossed.
It was a ritual. He soothed it's fear before he killed it. And he held her while she died. And the choice of how to cause her death wasn't a quick one.
Well he didn't care about her feelings he was pissed her uterus didn't work so he cut her. Notice how Luv kills Joshi the same way?

C-sections for everybody!
Ohhhh come on! He was nice about it! In a soothing voice and with a warm smile.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The characters telegraph a lot about themselves.

Lieutenant Joshi:
1.  Married to her job.  Her office suggests not much personal life.  Lonely.
2.  Copes/self-medicates with liquor.
3.  Her remark to K about getting by without a soul is more a reflection of her own existence than it is of his.

Luv:
1.  Reveals her self-perception through a remark she makes to K.  "Bad dog".  Luv may be humanoid in appearance, but in character she is a loyal dog.  A faithful pet, as opposed to a slave.
2.  As a favorite "pet", Luv desperately wants to please her master and preserve her status as his favorite.
3.  Her twisted, cruel actions are a byproduct of her master's influence.  With a benevolent master, Luv might have been very kind and gentle instead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I just watched this for the first time in 3D. looked and sounded great on my passive 3D tv.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie
As quoted from another site...

Superficially, one of the better detective stories in recent years. If you wanna dig deeper, it's an examination of what it means to be human in a world increasingly dominated by technology (among many other things). Which is basically what the original was about, too. But 2049 is more enjoyable on a story level IMHO, so it gets the edge in my book.

And

2049 actually puts the point for Deckard being a replicant front and center as the main premise of the story: replicants (K) are used to retire replicants because the job is too dangerous for humans.

Both of these quotes are how I feel about the film. Also, it also reminds me of the deeper sense of wanting to belong to something.  First movie was how they wanted more life, this one is how they want to belong to something bigger.
Both movies have Memories as a key theme.

As the photographer Pedro Meyer put it.... "I photograph to remember, the minute I die it all becomes obsolete."
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The characters telegraph a lot about themselves.

Lieutenant Joshi:
1.  Married to her job.  Her office suggests not much personal life.  Lonely.
2.  Copes/self-medicates with liquor.
3.  Her remark to K about getting by without a soul is more a reflection of her own existence than it is of his.

Luv:
1.  Reveals her self-perception through a remark she makes to K.  "Bad dog". Luv may be humanoid in appearance, but in character she is a loyal dog.  A faithful pet, as opposed to a slave.
2.  As a favorite "pet", Luv desperately wants to please her master and preserve her status as his favorite.
3.  Her twisted, cruel actions are a byproduct of her master's influence.  With a benevolent master, Luv might have been very kind and gentle instead.
View Quote
rewatched last night, and these inversions are woven all through the movie.  pay attention to how joe interacts with the hoverthingy from his car--it's powerfully similar to the way humans deal with replicants, and i don't think it's a coincidence.  i also noticed luv's reference to joi: "how do you like our product," she asks.  i think a lot of this goes back to the lieutenant's line about the "wall between kinds".
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Luv reminded me of some of the James Bond women...Fatima B. and Famke Janssen. Luv seemed to be flirting with K while they were reviewing the data crystals (K mentioned Rachel liked Dekard by trying to provoke him), then they said something about personal details, at that point Luv asks a personal question to K, which he ignores. Joi wasn't "real" to Luv or the female replicant prostitute (she called Joi hollow inside), but Joi was real to K (until the hologram called him Joe). Luv commented a few times on K being satisfied with the product...then at the end gave him a "real" kiss, almost as if she was jealous. Some interesting twists and turns in the story for sure. Even the name "Luv" must have been chosen by the writers for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to see a full length movie about Sapper.

He looks like he came straight out of the pages of Heavy Metal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the extras in the Blu Ray or digital releases is a short video which explains how Sapper drew the attention of the authorities.

Not a movie of course.  But it definitely brings more depth to him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One of the extras in the Blu Ray or digital releases is a short video which explains how Sapper drew the attention of the authorities.

Not a movie of course.  But it definitely brings more depth to him.
View Quote
All three short prequels are on Youtube.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
took me awhile to figure out that was the same actor from "Guardians". you figure someone that ginormous would be easily recognizable
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
took me awhile to figure out that was the same actor from "Guardians". you figure someone that ginormous would be easily recognizable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was also in the last Bond film.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Just watched it, not bad. Better than I thought it would be. You definitely need to watch the first one, to really get into the movie.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Just finished it in 4k with full Atmo.

Wonderful movie.  Almost perfectly done.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't think the thread would ever attract 11,000 views
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I think it's too long, it could use some careful editing.

The music was good, but only two pieces are memorable, "Mesa" and "All the best memories are her's".
The music is in no way as good or memorable as the Vangelis score for the original Blade Runner.  Virtually every piece of his sticks with you and stays with you since the original movie came out.

Of all the actors, "Luv" was the most vibrant.  In any scene she's in you can't take your eyes off her.  Just standing there draws your eye to her.

Questions....

Why is it necessary to make movies so dark that you can't see what the hell is going on?  I tried on both my flat screen TV and computer and can hardly make out much of the movie even with the brightness run all the way up.
The attack on Luv's limo and the fight in the water is mostly just a dark screen with a little shadowy movement.

Do you think it might be possible to somehow make the credits and beginning text smaller and harder to read.  I was almost able to read some of it so they need to do better next time.

The whole point of the two movies is, What is a human?  What is NOT a human.
If we can make an artificial human, not a robot or android, but a live human, limit his life span or force him to obey, does it make it alright that we've made slaves?
Because we make them does that absolve us of being slave masters?
If we manufacture slaves does that make us less human?
If our manufactured slaves have feelings, are they not human?
If they have feelings how do we justify keeping them as slaves?
Because the replicants have feelings, are they truly "More Human Than Human".
If you are manufactured do you have a soul?  Why not?

Apparently the humans of this future have fallen very far.  
The humans are no longer human and the Men of 1861 to 1865 were wasted.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Unwatchable. Totally put me to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://totallyadd.com/do-i-have-add/
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://totallyadd.com/do-i-have-add/
Lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#33]
At the end of the movie, was Deckers daughter watching Ks last memories of the snowfall as he died?

I sure think she was.  Beautiful, isn’t it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One effect I was pleasantly surprised about was Rachael. She didn't look fake like Princess Lea in "Rogue One". Excellent job by the effects team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw it in the theatre (something I rarely do) and this weekend i rented it to watch again (something I've seldom ever done).

I would agree. I actually like it as much as the first and that is saying something. The CG was well integrated without being overwhelming like Transformers 7. The story was there, but left bits for you have to actually think on.
One effect I was pleasantly surprised about was Rachael. She didn't look fake like Princess Lea in "Rogue One". Excellent job by the effects team.
Well, to be fair, it wasn't 100% a CGI character. It was the actual actress - Sean Young - filming the scene and they used CGI to de-age her. Same thing was done to Michael Douglas in Ant Man, and Robert Downey Jr in Cap America Civil War.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...they used CGI to de-age her...
View Quote
what it really did was to make her look like a drag queen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:47:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because he can. It's a sacrifice. To his godliness. A bringer of life and death.

Before, Tyrell was still under the coercion of the government. He had a healthy respect for it. Perhaps more of an equal footing outlook since  he provided a useful service to the state. More of a cooperative effort.

In this one, it seems to have flipped. Wallace is allowed indulgences. For things he's done to keep things going since the revolution. one of the shorts goes into it a bit. He came up  with  solutions. The government provides.

It also can explain his ability to escape any retribution when Luv kills the Police Chief. And also the coroner tech death without repercussion. Allowances are made as long as Wallace doesn't go too far. Little people are disposable. Luv knows this well.

The government's perception is a willingness to allow things because of what the corporation provides. Wallace's outlook is more of a contempt. He exercises a certain latitude of control with the government.

As was suggested a little earlier, this might be reflected in the personas of the two replicants who are  closest to their makers. Tyrell and Rachel. Niander and Luv. Reflections of their deeper selves.

My take on it.
View Quote
Wallace said that the inability to make enough skinjobs to meet demand was hampering mankind's expansion. Wouldn't surprise me if the govt didn't care what he did as long as he figured out replicant procreation.

Of course this type of thing is what led to the destruction of the 13th Colony.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
never heard of Geostorm.

I need to buy a copy of BR49
View Quote
Do you do streaming? Computer, etc?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Just ordered a limited edition Blade Runner 2049 Johnnie Walker bottle of scotch from eBay.  Will post pics when it comes in.  Very excited!  ??
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just ordered a limited edition Blade Runner 2049 Johnnie Walker bottle of scotch from eBay.  Will post pics when it comes in.  Very excited!  ??
View Quote
Glasses too?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Ticket sales were better overseas than in the USA. Over in Europe, British DVD sales results Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Villeneuve delivered a cult film, as a sequel to a cult film. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

This will have big legs in video and streaming sales and rentals, and will see a lot of play on premium cable for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Follow K's cigarette right as he gives her the Emanator...it goes from his mouth to his hand inexplicably.....whoops
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd just like to know why the newer blaster is not being proposed by anyone (worthy of note, that is) as a replica.

It's all crappy 3D models.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd just like to know why the newer blaster is not being proposed by anyone (worthy of note, that is) as a replica.
It's all crappy 3D models.
View Quote
I'm not sure what you mean? The new blaster wasn't based on any existing firearm. There's no gun to "replicate" it with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean? The new blaster wasn't based on any existing firearm. There's no gun to "replicate" it with.
View Quote
Movie prop weapon - I'm referring to that.
while there were several providers of replicas for the blaster of the original movie, there isn't any (worthy of note) artist or company doing the new one
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top