Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s for egress.
View Quote

Those small birds would never be able to lift a manhole.  C'mon!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It makes sense that it could be for re-drilling a well from topside back yard in the future. The yard of the house is massive for the town, 1.2 acres when most lots are 0.1 acre. There is another concrete well vault out near the street (rectangular, with a rectangular steel hinged door that swings up) which has a wooden ladder down with a tank of some sort.

At first I thought it might belong to the city but it definitely does not, I checked.

There are three or four water faucets located around the periphery of the front lawn.

The house itself is on city water and sewer but it was on the very edge of town when built in 1946. It is now near the middle of town.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m guessing the cover is directly over the well head?  It’s so the well can be pulled to service the down pipe, check valves, wire, impellers and/ or motor.  The truck would be topside, droppind the cable and elevators down through the hole.  One dude would be in the yard stacking the pipe off to the side, and one dude down in the well room setting the elevators and coiling the wire.

Depending on how deep your well is, of course. If it’s a shallow well with flexible pipe, it would be different

It makes sense that it could be for re-drilling a well from topside back yard in the future. The yard of the house is massive for the town, 1.2 acres when most lots are 0.1 acre. There is another concrete well vault out near the street (rectangular, with a rectangular steel hinged door that swings up) which has a wooden ladder down with a tank of some sort.

At first I thought it might belong to the city but it definitely does not, I checked.

There are three or four water faucets located around the periphery of the front lawn.

The house itself is on city water and sewer but it was on the very edge of town when built in 1946. It is now near the middle of town.

Not for drilling, the crane for lifting the well pipe is mounted to the truck.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there any provision for ventilation? Be careful, because you may have a confined space with an atmosphere that may or may not be safe to breathe at different times. Is it dry? Does it look like it ever collects water? What kind of door do you have from the basement?

Based entirely on your OP, it sounds very strange. Possibly a DIY “fallout” shelter. When was the house built?
View Quote

I think the air in the well chamber is a mix of my basement air plus whatever leaks around the manhole edge.

It is about 10 feet from the basement HVAC and I could heat and cool it if I wanted but the ceiling of the chamber is uninsulated and concrete walls are bare.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Radon an issue by you? Without ventilation that could be a big problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Average manhole cover is 100 lbs flat surface my guess is storm shelter....  could be repurposed into a safe room if you disguise or build out inner door.  Kinda cool... waiting for pics (from inside?)
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Be careful.......

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did I mention that the basement came with a large antique safe???

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
And the disturbing lack of pictures continues.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It's so that you can invite people over for imitation crab meat and trains in the basement discreetly. I'll pass on the invitation OP, no judgment.

Quoted:
Who cares that sounds awesome
View Quote

...and also this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
How long is the hall way from the basement to the room? How wide is the hall?
For a shelter, tornado or safe room I would be adding a hidden steel door and working to have a nice safe room for the family

I wish I had found some thing this good to start with
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How long is the hall way from the basement to the room? How wide is the hall?
For a shelter, tornado or safe room I would be adding a hidden steel door and working to have a nice safe room for the family

I wish I had found some thing this good to start with
View Quote

If I was trying to make a tornado safe room there are several basement rooms which are GTG already.

If i were trying to keep out people I would harden the exterior and interior basement doors and maybe some basement windows. There are a few rooms in basement that are very secure such as the safe room and concrete cedar closet.

The best thing this room would have going for it is hide-ability as I could conceal the door from basement and probably the manhole cover as well. It would need a lift assist and maybe even a popup elevator to use as emergency egress. If some poor bastard were trying to breach the rear door to the exterior basement stairs, a popup turret at the manhole would be a rude surprise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ideal tornado shelter.
View Quote

With two exits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
No shit, I have one in my side "yard" about 100yds from the house. I was hoping it was to an unused cistern. Unfortunately, it was just some kind of exceptionally deep (18feet down) communal septic clean out for the failed subdivision.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which opens up into a 6'x6' poured concrete wellhouse room connected to the basement with a nice door.

My question:

If a person can easily and safely access this space from the basement, why does it need a manhole from surface?

I may reenact some ninja turtle stuff but other than that, seems a bit odd.
View Quote
tornado shelter with escape route?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Build a 12x12 Shed over it, with a removable roof and a floor hatch.
This way, 1. If you still need to access the well, you can. 2. Your hatch to the secret lair is more hidden.

Is the only thing in said concrete room the Pump head access and maybe the pressure tank?

Any pics of the room and door from in the well room and up at the manhole cover? (unless I missed them) sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Watch out for mole men...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Turtles in a half-shell…
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Remove the manhole cover, reseat it about 6" down, cover it with dirt and let the grass grow.  Turn the basement area into a hardened saferoom, harden the interior door, and you then have a one-way emergency exit from the house and saferoom.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Did it come with tunnel Jews?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Build a 12x12 Shed over it, with a removable roof and a floor hatch.
This way, 1. If you still need to access the well, you can. 2. Your hatch to the secret lair is more hidden.

Is the only thing in said concrete room the Pump head access and maybe the pressure tank?

Any pics of the room and door from in the well room and up at the manhole cover? (unless I missed them) sounds interesting.
View Quote

A shed over the top of it is a no go since that would block a back door from the kitchen and block a view from a rear window.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remove the manhole cover, reseat it about 6" down, cover it with dirt and let the grass grow.  Turn the basement area into a hardened saferoom, harden the interior door, and you then have a one-way emergency exit from the house and saferoom.
View Quote

Area around the manhole is currently 3” or 4” thick limestone paver. I think a doormat would be the way to hide it if that was the goal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Old coal room maybe for the coal furnace?
View Quote

This would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Id work out some way to latch the manhole cover from the inside and also a gasket of some kind to keep weather out.

Something like this

Then just sod over the top of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This would be my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old coal room maybe for the coal furnace?

This would be my guess.

I think the original boiler was natty gas, no sign of any coal.

There is an impressive concrete riser pad in the floor of the utility room where the old boiler went. The new furnace is now on the other end of that room.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So they can pull the pipe if they need to replace it. [or the foot valve] I take it you have a shallow well?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OSHA was involved somehow.

For exit routes, OSHA requires that at least two exit routes must be available in a workplace to permit prompt evacuation of employees and other building occupants during an emergency

2. Where two exits, exit access doorways, exit access stairways or ramps, or any combination thereof, are required from any portion of the exit access,

they shall be placed a distance apart equal to not less than one-half of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building or area to be served measured in a straight line between them 3.

or the over read the regulation.

I've worked in a lot of pump pits where I was dead meat if things went sour
View Quote

This.  Likely egress issue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

House was architected in 1941 and finished in 1946.

I think they had a bureau of mines and child labor but no OSHA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OSHA was involved somehow.

For exit routes, OSHA requires that at least two exit routes must be available in a workplace to permit prompt evacuation of employees and other building occupants during an emergency

2. Where two exits, exit access doorways, exit access stairways or ramps, or any combination thereof, are required from any portion of the exit access,

they shall be placed a distance apart equal to not less than one-half of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building or area to be served measured in a straight line between them 3.

or the over read the regulation.

I've worked in a lot of pump pits where I was dead meat if things went sour

House was architected in 1941 and finished in 1946.

I think they had a bureau of mines and child labor but no OSHA.

Ok, nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
You know the thing you are typing on probably has a camera OP?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
We’re the sellers Jewish?  Or Palestinian?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know the thing you are typing on probably has a camera OP?
View Quote

I haven’t moved in to the new place yet. I will snap some indoor pictures the next time I am over there.

The outdoor manhole cover is under a snowdrift and the high is below 5F all week.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We’re the sellers Jewish?  Or Palestinian?
View Quote

It has been owned by three german families since 1941. No known tunnelers, chuds, molemen, viet cong, or welsh miners.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Can you remove the manhole cover and put a fake tree stump in its place like on Hogan's Hreos?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m guessing the cover is directly over the well head?  It’s so the well can be pulled to service the down pipe, check valves, wire, impellers and/ or motor.  The truck would be topside, droppind the cable and elevators down through the hole.  One dude would be in the yard stacking the pipe off to the side, and one dude down in the well room setting the elevators and coiling the wire.

Depending on how deep your well is, of course. If it’s a shallow well with flexible pipe, it would be different

Kharn

6' x 6" is a bit large for a well pit but I'm thinking that was the original purpose. OP said he has city water but that may not have been the case when the house was built. OP has not said if there was any evidence of a well in the "bunker" but many municipalities require that wells be abandoned when city water is provided.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like you bought a serial killers.

Enjoy your future SWAT raid
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It has been owned by three german families since 1941. No known tunnelers, chuds, molemen, viet cong, or welsh miners.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
4 fukn pages and still no pics.

Troll thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Great name for a bar.

At any rate, I’d replace it with a multi-lock hydraulic hatch. One of those with a hand pump that will lift a shit ton of weight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
4 fukn pages and still no pics.

Troll thread.
View Quote

Still on the first page if you're setup like a normal person.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

6' x 6" is a bit large for a well pit but I'm thinking that was the original purpose. OP said he has city water but that may not have been the case when the house was built. OP has not said if there was any evidence of a well in the "bunker" but many municipalities require that wells be abandoned when city water is provided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Unbelievably, i now have the answer to this question, assuming the 1941-dated blueprints (drafted for first owner) match what was built in 1946 and it does look like a match.

I will post photos and prints when i figure out imgbb again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
My house has the same thing. It was a coal room and the manhole cover is where they dumped the coal through.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It gives you a way out of the basement if the house has collapsed.
View Quote

Put some sort of a hidden/bookshelf door and you have the ultimate bunker.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is a print.

It looks like 5’x5’ with 8” walls. Labelled “Pump Rm” and “to well by owner”

Annotation on same print shows that you could, in 1941, switch between city and well (so it was likely built with city water and the well)

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
good root cellar
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#44]
So you can get out when the house collapses while you’re in your storm shelter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that a staircase to the right of the manhole room?  If it is, looks like some good dead space there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is that a staircase to the right of the manhole room?  If it is, looks like some good dead space there.
View Quote

That staircase is solid concrete as is the wall, so it would be a lot of work to make “space” there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is a backyard staircase entrance that goes directly down to the basement.

Also, what good is escaping from a zombie just to flee into a C.H.U.D. lair?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because of the zombies attacking while you're in the yard and need to escape to safety

There is a backyard staircase entrance that goes directly down to the basement.

Also, what good is escaping from a zombie just to flee into a C.H.U.D. lair?
Dude, you really aged yourself with the C.H.U.D. reference.  Me as well since I understood it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Concrete staircase next to pump room:

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Pump room with view to underside of manhole cover:

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Well head, pump (i think), and pressure tank (i think)

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top