Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The manhole is probably there in case you need to pull the pump out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Pump room from basement entrance:

marmalade login
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Obligatory basement safe (empty)

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for those who helped solve the mystery - manhole is there not for public utility access, but for easy service of long vertical components of the well.

I have a giant stack of the blueprints. In the past if I wanted a digital model of a house it was a lot of laser and tape measure but this one will be easier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know the thing you are typing on probably has a camera OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bump for those who helped solve the mystery - manhole is there not for public utility access, but for easy service of long vertical components of the well.

I have a giant stack of the blueprints. In the past if I wanted a digital model of a house it was a lot of laser and tape measure but this one will be easier.
View Quote

What did you buy that needs a 2 inch waterline?  That is a good sized service...
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Looks like you’ve been hooked up to city service anyways
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Considering the drawings show the room with notes "well by owner", it seems the room was to be in place before the well.  Perhaps the manhole cover was access for the drill rig.  If in an area where a successful well was a sure bet this might make sense.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]
That room is missing a Snap-on pin-up calendar from the 90's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there any provision for ventilation? Be careful, because you may have a confined space with an atmosphere that may or may not be safe to breathe at different times. Is it dry? Does it look like it ever collects water? What kind of door do you have from the basement?

Based entirely on your OP, it sounds very strange. Possibly a DIY “fallout” shelter. When was the house built?
View Quote

This. And the atmosphere may become unsafe over time.  If you're going to use it, I'd recommend installing some form of ventilation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What did you buy that needs a 2 inch waterline?  That is a good sized service...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they were planning to do a lot of yard sprinkler irrigation.

There is another concrete well vault out near the street. Big lawn, 1.2 acres.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since 1946 i believe. The prints somewhat answer the question of whether it has city water when built.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. And the atmosphere may become unsafe over time.  If you're going to use it, I'd recommend installing some form of ventilation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any provision for ventilation? Be careful, because you may have a confined space with an atmosphere that may or may not be safe to breathe at different times. Is it dry? Does it look like it ever collects water? What kind of door do you have from the basement?

Based entirely on your OP, it sounds very strange. Possibly a DIY “fallout” shelter. When was the house built?

The bottom panel of the five panel wood door is a wicker mesh so I think the air in this room is the same as the air in my basement.

I think it is vented mainly to keep the temperature up in the pump room.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering the drawings show the room with notes "well by owner", it seems the room was to be in place before the well.  Perhaps the manhole cover was access for the drill rig.  If in an area where a successful well was a sure bet this might make sense.
View Quote

It is western KS. If you go deep enough there is aquifer water. In this area of town most big houses had wells for lawn irrigation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Drill/pump access.

How would you service it without access?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think they were planning to do a lot of yard sprinkler irrigation.

There is another concrete well vault out near the street. Big lawn, 1.2 acres.
View Quote

You know what you need to do now?  You need a tunnel between them!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#17]
neat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you remove the manhole cover and put a fake tree stump in its place like on Hogan's Hreos?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The manhole is probably there in case you need to pull the pump out.
View Quote

There it is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Drill/pump access.

How would you service it without access?
View Quote

Makes total sense. I guess I am not used to seeing well designed homes that anticipate service.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top