User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got one of Gene's, and it is robust. Can hold a few dollars (probably like $5-7 as a rough guess) worth of quarters in it, I would not want to get hit with it.
View Quote

I've got around $10 in just quarters in mine.  Then some pennies dimes nickels and a few bills for good measure.

Only thing I cracked with it to date is a mattress/pillow.  Thump was pretty sobering.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used and abused my cheap ass Lightning OTF. Only time it’s failed was immediately after submersion when washing it.

Sure, I have to sharpen it weekly, but it’s far from fragile. Owning waves, flippers, folding autos, etc, I prefer OTF’s now. My only knock against them is there is no discreet way to open it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen someone hit with brass knuckles back in high-school.  Single punch to the high cheek/temple area. Not enough to knock the person out, but they were disoriented and there was enough damage to their face that an ambulance had to be called.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen someone hit with brass knuckles back in high-school.  Single punch to the high cheek/temple area. Not enough to knock the person out, but they were disoriented and there was enough damage to their face that an ambulance had to be called.
View Quote

Buddy Revell?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm pretty fast with my folding EDC.  The thought of carrying a spring-loaded blade near my junk has never appealed to me.  Call me paranoid.
View Quote

Single action OTF, I agree with you. OTOH, there is no way that a double action OTF is going to open accidentally. DA autos are not under spring pressure until you "cock" and fire it by a long, hard push/pull on the button, like shooting a DA revolver.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I worked with an older nutcase who carried one (major policy violation) sometimes at work, it was effective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen saps and handled them but don't know anyone who has clobbered someone with one. It seems like they were really talked up by the prior generation of police Officers

I worked with an older nutcase who carried one (major policy violation) sometimes at work, it was effective.

They were still giving us class A uniforms with sap pockets well after 2010.  No policy against carrying one.  Probably because even the old timers that had them at most left them in their car patrol bag.  I never saw one used.  I on occasion used the sap pocket for stashing my issue rechargeable mag lite.  I never maglited anyone either.  My career was mostly boring.  Holding a mag light over your shoulder at night or whipping out an asp baton or OC spray usually changed even drunk mouthy people’s minds.  Me and a partner had a guy with no ID getting a minor ticket that raised our level of spider sense suspicion vibes.  We ‘re sitting in the car writing the group a handful of tickets and it’s been ten minutes and I called the county dispatch back as to where my inquiry was.   Oh it’s still spitting pages on one guy but there are two active warrants and a note that he is combative with police.  When we went to  cuff him he starts to throw off my partner and I was already coming around with the OC can.   He sees that and instantly slams his wrists together behind his back shouting no no no not that again.   Someone got him good before, I suspect it was Buffalo PD where one of the warrants was out of.  Schenectady was the other.  Either one is was reputed to give better than they got.  

Never did much more than active take downs or assist in a pile up.   I suppose that is good.   Zero time out for being injured in a fracas.

I loved warrant arrests,......almost all the paperwork was done!  Deliver and leave!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmmm.... I know my dad carried, and used a sap on duty... I'm told that my maternal Grandad was a drunk Irishman who carried and used brass knuckles and an old black jack...

I occasionally carry a sap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
the fox 599 karambit is the single most scary/lethal knife ive ever worked with.

for the regular person just picking it up it seems kinda useless but once you learn how to manipulate it and get a little training with it you realize the capability of it and how wicked it can be.

either buy a training version to go with it or make a copy of it out of wood (fun project).

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I witnessed a fight between 2 school aged girls outside a 7-11. One girl was probably 5’ 11” and the other 5’ 4”. The taller girl punched the other a couple times and I saw the shorter one pull out a pair of brass knuckles and hit the taller one a couple times across the bridge of her nose. The fight was over instantly after that and there was lots of blood. Kids, lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Buddy Revell?
View Quote
Didn't he get kicked off the football team for pulling a knife on the coach?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an out of state address to mail stuff to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this was a thread about all of the stuff you purchased once you arrived in your new state.
I have an out of state address to mail stuff to

Heck, last time I visited my son in NYC, we went out for a walk and stopped in at a flea market that was being held in a church parking lot. All this stuff, and more, was being openly sold by dealers there.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Machetes are on the list now also, but they altered the law so the part that punishes illegals with weapons more harshly doesn't apply
View Quote

I stocked up at Harbor Freight back before they cheapened up their design.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Watching the 60's The Fugitive series and was a bit surprised when cops pulled out saps in a scene. No idea when it was banned. People went down pretty easy in the 60's... but gsw barely bled.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a leather sap. Never carried it, but ironically its sitting 2 feet from me on my desk right now. Found it in a box when cleaning out my grandfathers house after he died. No one except my uncle knew what it was and told me to get it outta there, so home it went. It seems very well made. Other than a few test strikes on inanimate objects, I've never used it (thankfully). But I have no doubt it would seriously ruin ones day getting a crack upside the noodle and leave some decent reminders if struck most anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like to think my states legislators watched too many 30's-40's gangster movies and 1970-1980's martial arts/ninja movies.
View Quote

I had a similar thought, that the author of the NY SAFE Act wrote that law in a panic, following a Die Hard movie marathon on TBS or something.

Ho Ho Ho, Now I have a machinegun...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’ve used and abused my cheap ass Lightning OTF. Only time it’s failed was immediately after submersion when washing it.

Sure, I have to sharpen it weekly, but it’s far from fragile. Owning waves, flippers, folding autos, etc, I prefer OTF’s now. My only knock against them is there is no discreet way to open it.
View Quote

Absolutely spot on. For a cheap OTF, the Lightnings are great. In 7 years, I have had to dissemble mine once to get it back on track. I have retired it and gone to carrying a side-opener for the very reason you present--it can be opened discreetly when needed. My Combat Troodon is carried strong-side and is strictly for emergency purposes.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As a teen we were always told they were illegal to carry in public in MS without a carry permit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/483179/988C30E7-E5C5-41CE-870F-687A025A9B86_jpe-2340663.JPG
View Quote

Shit...me and all my dumbass friends carried all kinds of deadly implements from knives to pistols when we ran the woods around Hattiesburg.

Most of us had Buck 110s in belt pouches on us as we attended middle school, and no one ever said a word. In high school I parked next to a kid who drove a VW Beetle, and he habitually left a holstered revolver on the dashboard in plain sight all day. Every other vehicle on the school lot had at least a single barrel shotgun or some flavor of .22 rifle in it.

I carried a concealed handgun for years before we even had permits in the state. My thinking was that since the criminals get to carry whatever they want, wherever they want, without any meaningful repercussions, I reckon I'll just carry mine, too. I still adhere to this philosophy, because I calculate that I am better trained, qualified and experienced to determine my self-defense needs than any timid, amateurish bureaucrat sitting in an office walled away from the real world the rest of us have to live in.

Seems to me that the absurd impulse to make millions of rules for everything is just a case of solutions in search of problems.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Some fellers call these cross knuckles.

I reckon I call 'em a plastic grocery bag carrier, yup.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#24]
A roll of quarters was much easier to explain back when I was a teenager.

Picking up the loose change was added insult to the injury.

ETA: Any tool requires practice to use well.

Most of the modern brass knuckles that I have seen ride on the knuckles not the flat of the fist that most martial arts train you to use.

When I talk about Autos being “delicate” I’m speaking about OTFs and utility use for things like cutting cardboard.

I’ve never lived in a place long enough where Saps were legal and thus became a viable option.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Carried these back in the day.  Perfectly legal and within department policy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25628/1577.JPG

View Quote

That is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I grew up in a very nice area.

Some kids actually did use brass knuckles. The smarter ones would stick their middle finger through the latch of a padlock and palm the hell out of the dial on the padlock. Cuz hey, nothing illegal about a padlock, that's for muh school locker, officer.

*I did NOT do these things - I just stayed home and played Nintendo, studied, and helped my mother with chores
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Carry this daily in waistband, hope I never use it.
They can do serious damage.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/D077AE7D-7C62-493A-91FC-466EE2C82796-2338539.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've represented criminals who were caught with these or seen a few that were either possessed legally by police or out of NY or were just arguably illegal (auto knives are legal here while hunting and fishing). But no one ever admitted to using any of this stuff in a fight. Saps were prohibited by department policy before my time.

I know in old Batman comics everyone seemed to have them but still got their asses beat (course that's true of Thompsons)

Brass knuckles seem like you could break your fingers if you strike something hard like a skull (besides from also killing someone). Brass knuckles have seen to have made a come back as a fancy knife maker novelty. They are also making a come back as an illegal weapon bought off the internet from China or eBay, some are actually plastic.

Auto knives seem to have a reputation here as fragile and no faster than wave or flipped knives. I'm still considering a Boker AK they seem to have an okay reputation and aren't $ 400. I realize I'm lumping together out the front and regular auto opening knives.

I've seen saps and handled them but don't know anyone who has clobbered someone with one. It seems like they were really talked up by the prior generation of police Officers

Even where legal or sort of legal they also seem like "you got some 'splainin' to do Lucy" items, particularly if you poke or wallop someone with one

Carry this daily in waistband, hope I never use it.
They can do serious damage.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/D077AE7D-7C62-493A-91FC-466EE2C82796-2338539.jpg

I used one of those in police work in the late 90’s and they are very effective. I’ve also used the sap gloves and they work well too and look like a regular pair of leather gloves instead of a hand held weapon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never held a set of knuckles that fit my hand correctly. Always had the feeling I'd break a few fingers if I ever hit anything hard.
I'd rather have some kind of fist load - preferably one that protrudes from either side of my fist for hammer strikes.
View Quote

My step father taught me how to use a roll of dimes. They get the desired result but you run a substantial risk of breaking your hand.

Knucks are brutal but will flat bring a feller around to your way of thinkin in DAMN short order and you don't need to hit very hard.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Carried these back in the day.  Perfectly legal and within department policy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25628/1577.JPG

View Quote

You carried a colt too... so you needed the sap...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My grandfather was Chief of police in the next town over.  Was a cop from the 50's to late 70's.  He spoke fondly of his blackjack which he called a name I won't mention here.
View Quote

A “whitey whacker”?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I knew an officer that carried brass knuckles (along with a straight razor) and he
said the trick was to use them on body shots only. It was less injurious , but got
the point across.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#33]
My pop had a sap, a hickory stick, and a S&W Detective Special.  I got the gun, but I don't know what happened to the sap and the club.  Moms probably got rid of them before he passed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had to travel through the gates of Mordor to NYC from time to time, so he'd carry one of these "coin purses" so as not to be completely unarmed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/71fjVO271GL___AC_SX342_QL70_ML2__jpg-2340555.JPG

Never had an occasion to use it.  I suppose if it was full of quarters it would leave a mark.
View Quote

I keep one of those within easy reach in the consoles of all my vehicles. I figure it will be a decent deterrent against someone aggressively trying to reach through the window.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Buddy Revell?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy Revell?

lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some fellers call these cross knuckles.

I reckon I call 'em a plastic grocery bag carrier, yup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/grocery_bag_carrier_JPG-1964290.jpg
View Quote

If you are brave enough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Ever since I watched Jack Bauer pull a Microtech Halo off a guy during the first season of 24 way back when I was in college, I had to have one. Since then I've had a few other Microtech autos, but I've still kept my Halo to this day. I don't ever use it, though. An $80 Spyderco Delica 4 folder is more practical and has been my edc for years. Autos are fun to collect, but a simple folder is better to carry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A roll of quarters was much easier to explain back when I was a teenager.

Picking up the loose change was added insult to the injury.

ETA: Any tool requires practice to use well.

Most of the modern brass knuckles that I have seen ride on the knuckles not the flat of the fist that most martial arts train you to use.

When I talk about Autos being “delicate” I’m speaking about OTFs and utility use for things like cutting cardboard.

I’ve never lived in a place long enough where Saps legal and thus became a viable option.
View Quote

I thought you were just happy to see me.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My step father taught me how to use a roll of dimes. They get the desired result but you run a substantial risk of breaking your hand.

Knucks are brutal but will flat bring a feller around to your way of thinkin in DAMN short order and you don't need to hit very hard.
View Quote

@Piccolo for his roll of quarters story
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would love explaining to the cops why I used throwing stars in self defense.
View Quote

So there I was...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Otf knives have a bad rep, but get a quality one and you are good. Knock offs going count. You'll be spending $300+. Auto knives from the side are superior to flippers and waves in the self defense realm. Imagine one hand holding your gun in holster to retain it, and you get a sick second to reach for your knife. Do you think you'll have time and space to do a perfect flick of the wrist? I don't count on it. A big button press seems smarter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They’re not anywhere close to three pounds. Blackjacks like the ones pictured above are more like 8 - 10 ounces. That’s more than enough to kill someone if you don’t know what you’re doing.
View Quote

No temple shots.  Tthe Red Man knew that was a killing spot (for blunt instrument).  Some wytes among them Hannah Duston were kidnapped by them and after a few days, the Indians were convinced that they could not run away.  Having gained their trust, Hannah asked where to strike to do a quick kill and the Indian tapped his temple. Hannah and others feigned sleep and the Indians didn't tie them up.  She got up, took a tomahawk and silently killed them.  They then escaped and realizing that no one would believe them, went back and scalped them.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gruesome-story-hannah-duston-american-colonist-whose-slaying-indians-made-her-folk-hero-180968721/
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was talking on my phone at a 7-11 5 or so years ago in California and some vagrant approached me while putting on brass knuckles. I flipped out my knife and told him you better get a good shot because I’ll spill all your blood on the parking lot.

He stopped and stared at me for about a minute, turned and walked away.

Glad he did because that probably would have hurt no matter where he hit me.

Brass knuckles I believe are illegal in California. /shrug
View Quote

Yep. 12020 CA penal code.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does it include an arcade at the back of a convenience store that he stopped in to buy a soda in a glass bottle?

“Why do start your morning with a soda?”

Well you see I had to pass through some pretty sketchy neighborhoods by myself on my way to school until I was old enough for a driver’s license…

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had to travel through the gates of Mordor to NYC from time to time, so he'd carry one of these "coin purses" so as not to be completely unarmed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/71fjVO271GL___AC_SX342_QL70_ML2__jpg-2340555.JPG

Never had an occasion to use it.  I suppose if it was full of quarters it would leave a mark.
View Quote

Used to see brass knuckles advertised in biker mags as "paperweights".
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I knew someone who owned a sap. The goal is to knock a person unconscious without cracking their skull
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Virtually all of these devices are illegal in my state. Automatic knives finally being allowed in the last decade or so.

Brass knuckles are designed to cut your opponent on impact. Much like prisoners who allow their fingernails to grow, then use them in a face jab causing three or four bleeding holes in your face. The brass knuckles will split your skin wide open.

I have been legally carrying a concealed handgun for self-protection, so these options don't ever cross my mind. I am officially a senior citizen and as much as I would like to believe I could rock someone in a fist fight, mother nature has other plans. Some days I feel well, other days pretty pitiful. My ability to absorb punishment is probably non-existent.

I feel everyone should be able to defend themselves with whatever means they can afford, the problem with these items, saps, clubs, brass knuckles, etc. is they make the owner look like they are spoiling for a fight. If you insist, put a baseball bat, a glove and a baseball in your backseat. It's called plausible deniability.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was on my way to a now long gone laundromat with a roll of quarters in my barn coat pocket.

Some oversized teenager tried to kick Tokie (AKA the Seeing Eye Cat for some of you newer guys)

I guess I'm lucky I didn't kill him because he hit the ground like a sack.

That cat kept my sanity during a dark period and I would have murdered Mother Teresa herself in cold blood if she had harmed him in any way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would love explaining to the cops why I used throwing stars in self defense.
View Quote

IIRC until like 1991 nunchucks were an optional issue to LAPD instead of a PR24(L batton). I can see a cop with nunchucks who knew how to use them taking the fight out of a criminal simply by presenting, while a little fumbling and it would escalate to "i can take this cop" in the criminal's mind pretty quick.

" I almost nunchucked you, you dont even realize..."
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top