Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
When we could not carry them anymore, I gave mine to my SIL's hubby.
I should be slapped for doing that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That bottle opener work

@xLucidx
View Quote

@Tommy2399

that aint a bottle opener

that little doodad can legit deploy the blade from your pocket as quick as you can blink.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

The issue with sap gloves is that if you straighten your fingers, they fall off.

Seriously, they tend to not fit into trigger guards easily.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The issue with sap gloves is that if you straighten your fingers, they fall off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wrist strap?  You are right but if/when I find mine, I'm sewing on a velcro wrist strap to keep them on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had to travel through the gates of Mordor to NYC from time to time, so he'd carry one of these "coin purses" so as not to be completely unarmed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/71fjVO271GL___AC_SX342_QL70_ML2__jpg-2340555.JPG

Never had an occasion to use it.  I suppose if it was full of quarters it would leave a mark.
View Quote

I have one. At my best friends wedding I smacked the fuck out of his MMA fighter brother with it just fucking around. Lets just say it works as advertised.  Better than you might think.  Also a good way to keep $10 worth of quarters on you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This reminds me of when a friend of mine's grandfather passed away.  He was a retired Northern Pacific/BN yard bull and Korean War vet.  His entire house was littered with a mix of home-made and professional made saps, clubs, truncheons- you name it.  Shit made out of RR scrap on a spring.  Dude spent a lot of time thinking about the dynamics of caving in someone's dome.

A few years later I started working for the RR and old timers would tell stories of when "real" bulls worked there.  The stories were hilarious, and the takeaway was they didn't put up with any shit and would happily beat someone to death or close to it.  And the local cops didn't seem to care much about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This reminds me of when a friend of mine's grandfather passed away.  He was a retired Northern Pacific/BN yard bull and Korean War vet.  His entire house was littered with a mix of home-made and professional made saps, clubs, truncheons- you name it.  Shit made out of RR scrap on a spring.  Dude spent a lot of time thinking about the dynamics of caving in someone's dome.

A few years later I started working for the RR and old timers would tell stories of when "real" bulls worked there.  The stories were hilarious, and the takeaway was they didn't put up with any shit and would happily beat someone to death or close to it.  And the local cops didn't seem to care much about it.

Attachment Attached File

Emperor of the North Pole..

Shack (Ernest Borgnine) is a merciless, inhumane, and sadistic conductor on the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern Railroad, during the Great Depression. He takes it upon himself to ensure that no one ever rides his freight train, the #19, for free, and that anyone who attempts, dies trying. Shack has an arsenal of makeshift weapons: several differently-sized hammers, a steel coupler pin tied to the end of a length of rope, a 4-6' chain, and a high pressure steam hose from the locomotive, all wielded with brute force. During the opening credits, he hammers a hobo on the head whom he's found riding between two cars, causing the "bo" to fall down under the cars and be cut in two by the train's wheels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So... $4.75 is good to go?
View Quote

475 dimes is gonna fuck some shit up.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Probably the reason my grandfather walked funny. Left home at a young age to find work & rode the rails.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Saps are total bullshit.

In 1985, I hit a guy with a roundhouse-strike with a sap.

Right between the eyes.

The lead piece in the sap was attached to a piece of spring steel.

The lead piece split the leather and came right through the leather.

So there I was, holding my busted sap, and looking stupid. With the spring-steel and lead-piece sticking out, sort of going "BOIINNNNGGGG!" - just like something from a cartoon.

The guy I'd hit with it was unfazed. He then hit me with a roundhouse knuckle-sandwich.

My bottom teeth came right through my lower lip. Just like that fucking lead piece.

Saps are useless.

After they stitched me up (crooked) at the hospital, I tucked the lead piece back into the sap (through the split in the leather), and carried it around for a few more months. I lost it (I think) when it fell out of my pocket when I was riding around in a snow plow one night. Good riddance. Fucking useless piece of shit.

Looked just like the big one on the right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/download__86__jpg-2341231.JPG
View Quote
those look poorly made, my grandfather carried a slap jack similar to the picture previously posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I carried a sap for several years.  I never got to use it but I have seen them used.  Those who were on the receiving end knew what was going to happen when they came out of the pocket and it usually changed their attitude.  Something like when the tazer comes out of the holsters. Only fools take it to the next level.  

The good thing (for the officer) was, when you are getting sapped, your hands are too busy covering your face and head to grab a gun or try to drive off.  It's called a street education.
kwg
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you carry them concealed though? Yes.

Pretty sure you guys need a license to carry a firearm concealed. Incorrect How about other deadly weapons concealed? Carry is carry, concealed or not

My state specifically says Death Stars are ok along with any knife.  Concealed.

View Quote

Can anyone give a good rundown of current Ohio laws?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The aluminum made brass knuckles are much lighter to carry than the brass ones. i have never used them so can't vouch for them, but have hit wood with them and they held up with no damage to them.

I would think that being light were mean a faster swing as well.
View Quote

Truth !

I had a pair back when I was shall we say younger …  

And yes they do work quite well !!
I carried a pair in my back pocket of my jeans back in the days of my youth !

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I carried a sap as a young patrol officer. Used it a handful of times in lieu of a baton. Same rules and training as a baton. Not great, not terrible.

ETA: should have just used a Pterodactyl femur instead
<------------
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#14]
A retired guy I know said they carried saps in the late 80s early 90s and they would carve their badge number into the leather. He said that way in a big bar fight they knew who they were arresting after the fight was done, you didn't want to have to write someone else's arrest report.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My dad had a really nice blackjack. It was leather, filled with lead on one end, I think it was made by....Bianchi? Maybe?

My uncle had a short length of broom handle that had been dipped in molten lead then wrapped in tape. Same functionality.

Pretty sure I'd get banned for saying what my uncle called it.
View Quote

Ah the good ol' day of policing, eh?  Where if they thought you were guilty of something they made damn sure you'd confess to it, whether you actually did it or not.  No body cams and no cameras in the interview rooms to help protect people from Johnny law

It is ironic that so many complain about police brutality now when, in fact, the golden era of police brutality and malice, corrupt DA's, judges and rampant racism was the time before cameras and phones were so prevalent.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From a realistic self defense perspective, well...it's laughable this stuff is "outlawed".  It's in the same category as ninja stars and wizard staffs.
View Quote
I believe it's useful today to trip up stupid criminals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ah the good ol' day of policing, eh?  Where if they thought you were guilty of something they made damn sure you'd confess to it, whether you actually did it or not.  No body cams and no cameras in the interview rooms to help protect people from Johnny law

It is ironic that so many complain about police brutality now when, in fact, the golden era of police brutality and malice, corrupt DA's, judges and rampant racism was the time before cameras and phones were so prevalent.
View Quote
The amount of retard in that post is beyond belief.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad had a really nice blackjack. It was leather, filled with lead on one end, I think it was made by....Bianchi? Maybe?

My uncle had a short length of broom handle that had been dipped in molten lead then wrapped in tape. Same functionality.

Pretty sure I'd get banned for saying what my uncle called it.

And yet, thanks to bodycams we get fresh examples of police brutality every day to bitch about.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure they've already been mentioned, but rolls of nickels or quarters, taped up so the coins don't get lost of course, and a thick gym sock used to be somewhat common. Carry them in different pockets. You can load your fist with the coin roll or drop it into the sock for an improvised sap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Texas legal.

I slapped a guy in the temple, breaking up a bar fight with a 2 oz sap. Dropped like a sack of potatoes
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/501718/Emperor_of_the_North-larger_2__1__jpg-2341910.JPG

Emperor of the North Pole..

Shack (Ernest Borgnine) is a merciless, inhumane, and sadistic conductor on the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern Railroad, during the Great Depression. He takes it upon himself to ensure that no one ever rides his freight train, the #19, for free, and that anyone who attempts, dies trying. Shack has an arsenal of makeshift weapons: several differently-sized hammers, a steel coupler pin tied to the end of a length of rope, a 4-6' chain, and a high pressure steam hose from the locomotive, all wielded with brute force. During the opening credits, he hammers a hobo on the head whom he's found riding between two cars, causing the "bo" to fall down under the cars and be cut in two by the train's wheels.

that was a really good movie. Lee Marvin rocked the hobo part.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mean Gene  

Your pic ain't his.  His are seriously well built.  Bought one specifically for travel to NYC.  Worth every penny!!!
View Quote

anyone got a link to the good ones, the ones I'm finding are all cheaply made on etsy and ebay.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those things were very rare.

In all my years of police work, I never saw any of that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those things were very rare.

In all my years of police work, I never saw any of that.

@Old_Painless

Come to think about it, in the department where I grew up a couple officers had a reputation of being hard on kids but never did I get reports of any real brutality of any sort.

Over the years there'd be a rare case where the perp wanted to fight. The would do what they had to do to take him down but when the perp was down it was game over. No serious game of catch-up, at least that I heard of.

Later when I left home and was wandering here and there I would get (somewhat) credible reports to steer clear of such and such a place because the cops (usually rural county deputies) were pretty handy with he hickory but while rumors abounded there were only a few places that there was any serious credibility to the stories.

Big cities (which I generally avoided) were a case of YMMV. Philly had a well deserved reputation for being generous with the hickory. NYC? Dependent on the precinct according to fairly reputable sources at the time.

I was cutting across town on foot and was about maybe a block away from a student anti-Vietnam rally which I was NOT a part of and for no reason other then maybe looking like a student of some sort got a sledge hammer handle across the back of my thighs once by a pig headed Boston Irish cop. I did hear his partner angrily tell him if he did that again he'd wind up walking a beat in Roxbury.

Still, looking back on it I can see there was a lot less brutality than some people think looking at the Big Picture. Actually that sort of thing ends up being a leadership problem because if leadership won't tolerate it then it seldom happens.

One interesting thing to note is the time I was wandering through an area with a terrible reputation. I met a farmer and asked if he had a couple of days work. He did. I worked for a few days and he was fairly generous AND his wife was a damned good cook. AND gave me a haircut AND washed my clothes!

After a few days I left and was not a mile down the road with my thumb out and a deputy sheriff stopped and started in on me telling me the county didn't like bums hanging out.

I said I had just finished working for so and so and was leaving town headed to wherever.

"You worked for so and so?" Hop in!" Not only did the deputy take me well over the county line but gave me the brown bag lunch his wife had made for him saying he wanted the meat loaf special at the local diner instead.

Now here's the part that floored me. In casual conversation he told me that passing through hippies quite often got roughed up to keep the riff-raff and troublemakers out.

Did it exist? Yeah, in places but it was pretty rare.

I KNOW the CLEO in your department didn't tolerate any of that kind of crap.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I sometimes think there should be a decrepit old man exemption for carrying these "less-lethal" options.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a 14 ounce sap from J&L Self defense products, just came in. Surprisingly nice for under $21.  Leatherwork is clean and tight.  

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/police-supplies/impact-weapons/
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
"I have a sore ankle and need my cane"

Heavy canes
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I only drink at home, alone, in the dark, the way god intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have sap gloves. dont carry them
Baton. sits in box
auto knives. in a drawer.

always have a g 29 and syderco on me

I carry a baton and OC when I've been drinking. Can't carry a gun here if you even just sipped a beer.

I only drink at home, alone, in the dark, the way god intended.

It's if I'm outside in the garage or if I decide to take two shots of bourbon and take a leisurely walk. If I'm soused, I stay indoors.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine are just everyday useful items

My custom coin sap is a brute.  I can carry 10 dollars in quarters...I like vending machine snacks officer!

Improvised saps can be as simple as a bandana with a corner pocket sewn in.

Best defensive tools I've trained with are the unbreakable umbrellas. The collapsible one is really only for international carry; the full size is a legit weapon.

Can't comment on brass knuckles.

Auto knives? Their illegality was solely manufactured from movies. I'm ambivalent about them and I own several. I started with the original Benchmade AFO in the mid 90's when I was a paratrooper. It was cool, but nothing special. I still have it and it still works.  I like OTFs, but only for a very niche, backup knife option. A quality auto will last with minimal maintenance, but even the cheaper Lightening  autos are as fun as hell and can take a beating (literally, pounded through a hardwood door without anything but cosmetic damage).

Autos are nice, but for a folder you want out and deployed fast, nothing beats the Emerson Wave or variations, nothing. I've carried folders for duty over 30 years and recently (2020) in Afghanistan as an Advisor. For the purpose of one hand, fast opening, no auto is even close.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Back in the day you could really get tightened up in Texas. It was all the rage for cops to carry saps and black jacks all the way up until the early 90s.  

I have seen a few being carried from time to time, but nothing like the old days.

I prefer a black jack over a sap, better striking ability and energy transfer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And they are hot as hell to wear in the summertime.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/17MqIxO.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/17MqIxO.gif
You are correct Sir about the amount of retardation in his/her/it statement.
All I know criminals back then where a whole lot less mouthy because they knew mostly to keep their mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Don't be a sap, Mean Jeans coin purses are only coin purses for saps; they're COIN SAPS

Mine is actually from Mean Jean's and it's tough as snot built. While you can overload it with coins, it can be bulky, but if kept minimal, it's a great way to carry coins since I hate loose change in my pockets.

None of these should be classified as weapons. They're all basically less-than-lethal compliance tools for self-defense

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#34]
my grandpa was a cop in NYC back in the day, had an issues sap and hickory. he was called to help with a riot (aggressive union march I believe) and the leader would make anti-irish remarks every time he walked by my grandpa in his dress blues. So GP slips a sap into his gloves, and the guy walks by and spit on him. one open handed smack dropped him "like a bag of wet shit" and the others in the group got the message.

he'd always tell that story with a hell of a wry smile. miss him
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Stumbled across these the other day. "Emergency window breaker with a carbide insert" marketed as the "Glass Jaw"

https://f5mfg.com/product/glass-jaw/

F5’s latest addition to everyday use products, the Glass Jaw. Developed to be carried in the edge of a pocket, for rapid access. The CGB is made from 6061 T6 billet Aluminum, and CNC machined with ergonomics in mind as well as a sleek profile. To ensure maximum energy transfer and a hard glass breaking element, a 3” Tungsten Carbide rod is embedded in the strike face. Keep this emergency tool in your pocket, enabling one-hit glass breaking for emergency personnel and civilians alike.

Available in:

Black
Gold
FDE
White Cerakote

Manufacturers pic files are clearly labeled "/uploads/2021/08/brass_knuckles_web_5-1500x1125.jpeg" ...

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a police issue blackjack,Brass knuckles and a switchblade. All given to me by my father. The blackjack was department issued, the switchblade was found next to a man that he arrested. Interestingly the switchblade is made by schrade and and not junk Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top