Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Saps are total bullshit.

In 1985, I hit a guy with a roundhouse-strike with a sap.

Right between the eyes.

The lead piece in the sap was attached to a piece of spring steel.

The lead piece split the leather and came right through the leather.

So there I was, holding my busted sap, and looking stupid. With the spring-steel and lead-piece sticking out, sort of going "BOIINNNNGGGG!" - just like something from a cartoon.

The guy I'd hit with it was unfazed. He then hit me with a roundhouse knuckle-sandwich.

My bottom teeth came right through my lower lip. Just like that fucking lead piece.

Saps are useless.

After they stitched me up (crooked) at the hospital, I tucked the lead piece back into the sap (through the split in the leather), and carried it around for a few more months. I lost it (I think) when it fell out of my pocket when I was riding around in a snow plow one night. Good riddance. Fucking useless piece of shit.

Looked just like the big one on the right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saps are total bullshit.

Right between the eyes.

So there I was, holding my busted sap, and looking stupid. With the spring-steel and lead-piece sticking out, sort of going "BOIINNNNGGGG!" - just like something from a cartoon.

The guy I'd hit with it was unfazed. He then hit me with a roundhouse knuckle-sandwich.

My bottom teeth came right through my lower lip. Just like that fucking lead piece.

Saps are useless.

After they stitched me up (crooked) at the hospital, I tucked the lead piece back into the sap (through the split in the leather), and carried it around for a few more months. I lost it (I think) when it fell out of my pocket when I was riding around in a snow plow one night. Good riddance. Fucking useless piece of shit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/download__86__jpg-2341231.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[Deleted]
View Quote

Did you just edit yourself?

When a mod has a COC do they have to IM themselves?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The aluminum made brass knuckles are much lighter to carry than the brass ones. i have never used them so can't vouch for them, but have hit wood with them and they held up with no damage to them.

I would think that being light were mean a faster swing as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brass knuckles, saps, auto knives, gravity knives, swords, axes, Bowie knives, suppressors, machine guns, SBR, SBS, and ASPs all legal in Texas.
View Quote

Shit... that's going to cost me some money.

Pardon me while I track down a sap and blackjack....
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brass knuckles, saps, auto knives, gravity knives, swords, axes, Bowie knives, suppressors, machine guns, SBR, SBS, and ASPs all legal in Texas.

When did Saps/Blackjacks come off the prohibited list?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In some parts of Florida combining a sock and $5 in quarters is a felony.
View Quote

So... $4.75 is good to go?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the fox 599 karambit is the single most scary/lethal knife ive ever worked with.

for the regular person just picking it up it seems kinda useless but once you learn how to manipulate it and get a little training with it you realize the capability of it and how wicked it can be.

either buy a training version to go with it or make a copy of it out of wood (fun project).
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41oD8kcS3PL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
View Quote

That bottle opener work

@xLucidx
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My grandfather was Chief of police in the next town over.  Was a cop from the 50's to late 70's.  He spoke fondly of his blackjack which he called a name I won't mention here.
View Quote

My dad had a really nice blackjack. It was leather, filled with lead on one end, I think it was made by....Bianchi? Maybe?

My uncle had a short length of broom handle that had been dipped in molten lead then wrapped in tape. Same functionality.

Pretty sure I'd get banned for saying what my uncle called it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
To the OTF crowd I carried one in the 80s and one day too much lint got in it and it failed to open.

So my question is are they more reliable now?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know a judge who fined himself when he phone rang in court
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To the OTF crowd I carried one in the 80s and one day too much lint got in it and it failed to open.

View Quote

Nope, lint still fucks them up.  Had to send mine in the MT due to lint.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saps are total bullshit.

Right between the eyes.

Saps are useless.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/download__86__jpg-2341231.JPG
View Quote
You should have hit him with the side of it, not the flat part.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to carry a well-worn trucker wallet with a roll of quarters in the zipper pouch when I was younger and working in places where I couldn't carry a weapon.

Rolled up like a newspaper, it would make sure it was coloring books for Christmas
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure it is a sap, but a Convoy is the deal. Street tested. That is
assuming you can even find one. 15 oz of lead on a spring all wrapped in leather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuggit, I want one now. Who makes a good sap?
Not sure it is a sap, but a Convoy is the deal. Street tested. That is
assuming you can even find one. 15 oz of lead on a spring all wrapped in leather.

Convoy is a blackjack. Yes, they are quite mean.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've represented criminals who were caught with these or seen a few that were either possessed legally by police or out of NY or were just arguably illegal (auto knives are legal here while hunting and fishing). But no one ever admitted to using any of this stuff in a fight. Saps were prohibited by department policy before my time.

I know in old Batman comics everyone seemed to have them but still got their asses beat (course that's true of Thompsons)

Brass knuckles seem like you could break your fingers if you strike something hard like a skull (besides from also killing someone). Brass knuckles have seen to have made a come back as a fancy knife maker novelty. They are also making a come back as an illegal weapon bought off the internet from China or eBay, some are actually plastic.

Auto knives seem to have a reputation here as fragile and no faster than wave or flipped knives. I'm still considering a Boker AK they seem to have an okay reputation and aren't $ 400. I realize I'm lumping together out the front and regular auto opening knives.

I've seen saps and handled them but don't know anyone who has clobbered someone with one. It seems like they were really talked up by the prior generation of police Officers

Even where legal or sort of legal they also seem like "you got some 'splainin' to do Lucy" items, particularly if you poke or wallop someone with one
View Quote

None of those are an issue in Texas
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've represented criminals who were caught with these or seen a few that were either possessed legally by police or out of NY or were just arguably illegal (auto knives are legal here while hunting and fishing). But no one ever admitted to using any of this stuff in a fight. Saps were prohibited by department policy before my time.

I know in old Batman comics everyone seemed to have them but still got their asses beat (course that's true of Thompsons)

Brass knuckles seem like you could break your fingers if you strike something hard like a skull (besides from also killing someone). Brass knuckles have seen to have made a come back as a fancy knife maker novelty. They are also making a come back as an illegal weapon bought off the internet from China or eBay, some are actually plastic.

Auto knives seem to have a reputation here as fragile and no faster than wave or flipped knives. I'm still considering a Boker AK they seem to have an okay reputation and aren't $ 400. I realize I'm lumping together out the front and regular auto opening knives.

I've seen saps and handled them but don't know anyone who has clobbered someone with one. It seems like they were really talked up by the prior generation of police Officers

Even where legal or sort of legal they also seem like "you got some 'splainin' to do Lucy" items, particularly if you poke or wallop someone with one

Can you carry them concealed though?

Pretty sure you guys need a license to carry a firearm concealed. How about other deadly weapons concealed?

My state specifically says Death Stars are ok along with any knife.  Concealed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not the knife's fault.  

Keeping it clipped in my pocket seems to have kept the lint out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

When auto knifes and swords and all the other stuff did.
Check TX penal code and you'll see they're gone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shurikens and throwing Death Star?  Because dat shit is called out as a ok in my state per statute.

Texas is pretty restrictive when it comes to carrying and banning weapons compared to KY.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone remember the Russian projectile knifes from the late 70's, early 80's?  

Wish I had bought one or two before they got banned.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had to travel through the gates of Mordor to NYC from time to time, so he'd carry one of these "coin purses" so as not to be completely unarmed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/71fjVO271GL___AC_SX342_QL70_ML2__jpg-2340555.JPG

Never had an occasion to use it.  I suppose if it was full of quarters it would leave a mark.
View Quote

And if you had to use it who is going to believe it is your change purse?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive got my grandfather's SAPS.. the black one a policeman carried. His tan one with name embossed gold lettering was what he carried as a detective.
He called then *slap jacks"
Lead is in them. Use the edge to realy take bad guy out, break arms, shin bones.
Flat side beat them to conform.

Both are very nicely made, stitched leather is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Shurikens and throwing Death Star?  Because dat shit is called out as a ok in my state per statute.

Texas is pretty restrictive when it comes to carrying and banning weapons compared to KY.
View Quote

No idea and don't give a shit about stars or state comparisons.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
If anyone wants one made from the finest English leather, give my buddy Andy a shout. He makes beautiful stuff.

Andy's Leather - Secret Menu
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]

The one all the way to the right…
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Virtually all of these devices are illegal in my state. Automatic knives finally being allowed in the last decade or so.

Brass knuckles are designed to cut your opponent on impact. Much like prisoners who allow their fingernails to grow, then use them in a face jab causing three or four bleeding holes in your face. The brass knuckles will split your skin wide open.

I have been legally carrying a concealed handgun for self-protection, so these options don't ever cross my mind. I am officially a senior citizen and as much as I would like to believe I could rock someone in a fist fight, mother nature has other plans. Some days I feel well, other days pretty pitiful. My ability to absorb punishment is probably non-existent.

I feel everyone should be able to defend themselves with whatever means they can afford, the problem with these items, saps, clubs, brass knuckles, etc. is they make the owner look like they are spoiling for a fight. If you insist, put a baseball bat, a glove and a baseball in your backseat. It's called plausible deniability.  

View Quote

Yep, Michigan sucks in that regard.

I can carry a pistol with my CPL, but none of those other items. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I can carry nunchaku and throwing stars. Concealed!  And a fucking Death Star!?  A weapon of mass destruction?   Ok in my state. Think about that. I can concealed carry a Death Star.

So neener neener!

Key op!  Haruken!  Yoga flame!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I killed a dog with a sap.
View Quote

You must be a BATFE (Canada subsidiary) member!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's the ARF favorite guardrail nut on paracord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also slungshot.

That's the ARF favorite guardrail nut on paracord.

Yup. And a one Arfcommer said, "One whack upside the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas."
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#33]

No saps on Mean Genes!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not the knife's fault.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35784/failed_to_maintain_your_weapon_jpg-2341468.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the knife's fault.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35784/failed_to_maintain_your_weapon_jpg-2341468.JPG

Nosir!  Can't block lint and can't take them apart.  Similar to my Datejust, I bought my Ultratech and UT-85 with the intention to EDC until the wheels fell off.  A few months later the Ultratech was being fixed by MT.  Been in the vault since I got it back.  Great looking, fast deployment, but not made for EDC use.  Now that I've said that someone will chime in about how theirs did 6 tours in the sandbox without blinking.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Not sure if you're serious.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a coin purse.
Mean Gene
View Quote

What does your husband use?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nosir!  Can't block lint and can't take them apart.  Similar to my Datejust, I bought my Ultratech and UT-85 with the intention to EDC until the wheels fell off.  A few months later the Ultratech was being fixed by MT.  Been in the vault since I got it back.  Great looking, fast deployment, but not made for EDC use.  Now that I've said that someone will chime in about how theirs did 6 tours in the sandbox without blinking.  
View Quote

I keep a Lightning OTF in my left front pocket. I'm an EMT (industrial setting) and it's handy to be able to open and close a knife with one hand and no juggling around or shifting my grip. And if I lose it it's cheap enough it doesn't hurt.  Boker Kalashnikov in the right side.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I keep a Lightning OTF in my left front pocket. I'm an EMT (industrial setting) and it's handy to be able to open and close a knife with one hand and no juggling around or shifting my grip. And if I lose it it's cheap enough it doesn't hurt.  Boker Kalashnikov in the right side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never carried an OTF on duty. But I will say my lightnings never failed to deploy.  Most likely because they have looser tolerances and aren't nearly as precise in their fitting/movement.  Leaves a LOT more room for lint or whatever to enter and exit.  Off topic but while I've been collecting weapons since 1st grade, I carry nothing but a Spyderco (various models) in my pocket and a Leatherman Wave+ on my hip.  I'll take my Matriarch/ring any day of the week and twice on Sunday over ANY OTF for defense.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a set that is part of my 1st NY Engineers impression. I can walk around with them when I'm doing that, but otherwise my understanding of Florida law is that I cannot conceal carry them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Had to Google saps.

Also never heard of brass knuckles being illegal.

View Quote

Brass knuckles in Vermont are legal to possess but illegal to use.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had to travel through the gates of Mordor to NYC from time to time, so he'd carry one of these "coin purses" so as not to be completely unarmed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/71fjVO271GL___AC_SX342_QL70_ML2__jpg-2340555.JPG

Never had an occasion to use it.  I suppose if it was full of quarters it would leave a mark.
View Quote

That and a pair of these and a guy could be just fine. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I was trying to get one for years but didn’t want to spend the money they bring. Found and bought this whole lot for $50 locally. There was a 4th sap that I already sold, and I kept the name brands.

They have a really interesting history and the guys who carried them professionally, swear by them.  They decorate my office now.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was trying to get one for years but didn’t want to spend the money they bring. Found and bought this whole lot for $50 locally. There was a 4th sap that I already sold, and I kept the name brands.

They have a really interesting history and the guys who carried them professionally, swear by them.  They decorate my office now.

https://i.imgur.com/xghtpTv.jpg
View Quote
This reminds me of when a friend of mine's grandfather passed away.  He was a retired Northern Pacific/BN yard bull and Korean War vet.  His entire house was littered with a mix of home-made and professional made saps, clubs, truncheons- you name it.  Shit made out of RR scrap on a spring.  Dude spent a lot of time thinking about the dynamics of caving in someone's dome.

A few years later I started working for the RR and old timers would tell stories of when "real" bulls worked there.  The stories were hilarious, and the takeaway was they didn't put up with any shit and would happily beat someone to death or close to it.  And the local cops didn't seem to care much about it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know a judge who fined himself when he phone rang in court
View Quote

I like that.

It shows respect for the Rule of Law.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Skull loses before your hand with brass knuckles

Also using correctly you punch slightly different. Almost as if you're trying to hit with your smaller knuckles
View Quote

Yep, brass knuckles are extremely effective but do require a bit of technique to use correctly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

lol

Literally just pulled these out of my pocket…
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#48]
It's not an expandable baton. Those are illegal.

It's a selfie stick!!!

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't know what that is.

I found a british guy who makes stuff like a sort of black jack brass knuckles

https://www.davidsonleather.com/home/saps/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also slungshot.
I don't know what that is.

I found a british guy who makes stuff like a sort of black jack brass knuckles

https://www.davidsonleather.com/home/saps/

Slungshot is a sap or blackjack that is filled with shot instead of a single piece of metal. The flat slappers usually have a disc of lead sewn into them. The spring handled blackjacks have a cylindrical piece of metal in them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you carry them concealed though? Yes.

Pretty sure you guys need a license to carry a firearm concealed. Incorrect How about other deadly weapons concealed? Carry is carry, concealed or not

My state specifically says Death Stars are ok along with any knife.  Concealed.
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top