Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/16/2021 11:44:07 AM EDT
Updated: Back from urgent care, Doc said likely BR bite.  

Wrote a script for Bactrim, said if the toe starts getting black go to ER cause they didn't do any cutting at UC.

Not the beetus,  my AC1 is around 3.  

Advise/advice yeah I know the difference,  just sometimes my fingers type without my brain fully engaging

Edit.  There is a wealth of informed information here at ARFCOM.  Many educated people and then there are those that posted in this thread.

Original post:

I got bit yesterday morning by what I believe was a Brown Recluse.  The bite was on the tip of my second toe,next to the big toe.

I first noticed a little irritation and thought I was developing an ingrown toe nail.

As the day progressed the toe continued to swell and by the end of the day the skin was mostly blistered.  I took Benedryl (50mg three times), so the histamine response was minimized.

Anyway this morning the toe is a little more swollen and a little more blistered.  Very sensitive to touch.   No throbbing or pain unless touched.

My question is at what point do I need medical attention?  From my research they really can not treat the reaction to the venom and can only excise the necrotic tissue, correct?

So go to the Doc when necrosis starts?  Or sooner?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
go to UC, are you 12 years old
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably should go to a professional medical expert.

I only come to General Discussion for financial advice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
See a doctor!
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a terrible itch. Is it normal to have a pimple on my...
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Get on heavy antibiotics as a precaution. Don’t fuck around with spider bites and MRSA. It’s a deep puncture wound and they’ve got nasty bacteria they just injected into your blood stream. That will fuck you up worse than the venom.

Personal experience here.  My forearm was the size of a football and I got cellulitis (deep skin bacterial infection, can progress to life threatening)

Buddy at work spent a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics from a damn spider bite because he didn’t seek medical attention.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Rub some dirt on it
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
GO TO THE DOCTOR JFC
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn’t be infected this quickly.

If it’s gonna become necrotic, either it will or won’t.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

I really wonder how our ancestors survived without an urgent care or ER on every corner to run to over every little thing
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. Get on heavy antibiotics as a precaution. Don’t fuck around with spider bites and MRSA. It’s a deep puncture wound and they’ve got nasty bacteria they just injected into your blood stream. That will fuck you up worse than the venom.

Personal experience here.  My forearm was the size of a football and I got cellulitis (deep skin bacterial infection, can progress to life threatening)

Buddy at work spent a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics from a damn spider bite because he didn’t seek medical attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Username checks out
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to ER.  Happened to my father.  Tissue under the skin got all necrotic.  Literally had a big hole about the size of a ping pong ball packed with gauze under the skin.
Not joking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably just cut off your toe.

It’s what I recommend for gout too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I was bitten by one a few years ago between the pinky and ring finger. The itch was terrible. I didn't go to the doctor until i felt nauseous and had a headache.I drained the blister several times. Doc said that was good to drain. Also said the less fatty tissue the better. Skin turned black and eventually healed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Medical questions are best answered by a physician.  Call your doctor and ask.
View Quote

This is what I don't get about the internet.

The person seems to know what a Recluse bite can lead to, but their first impulse is to start a thread and ask what to do.

Wouldn't a person, even if not totally sure, error on the side of caution due to the possible side effects ? My heart was racing one day, I didn't start a thread, I went to the ER lol

Maybe it's an age thing and people under 30 that have grown up with the internet are this idiotic when it comes to seeking medical attention.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Username checks out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Username checks out

But I didn’t get no super powers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]
How much do you need that toe?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#17]
What makes you think it's a brown recluse?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I really wonder how our ancestors survived without an urgent care or ER on every corner to run to over every little thing
View Quote

How did these people survive without the internet and cell phones is a better question.

It's almost like without the internet, a whole generation of people would be lying dead in the streets because it seems they can't make any decisions themselves without consulting the internet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Get to a doctor now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The same physicians pushing the vax, right?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Pics of toe?
Caddyshack - Well? We're Waiting
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#25]
It's all fun and games until losing a toe turns into losing a foot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn’t be infected this quickly.

If it’s gonna become necrotic, either it will or won’t.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

View Quote

I don't know when people became such pansies. Doctors these days seem to do nothing more than prescribe something that can be obtained over the counter, slap you with a massive bill, then tell you to have a nice day. Why bother?

These days "go to the emergency room!" is the default like it's synonymous with getting some gas. Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Go to the ER NOW. I had a friend several years ago that was bitten by one in the thigh and he waited until it was too late to see a doctor. He ended up having several surgeries and regrafts. The poison is a fleash eating toxin. He is still on blood thinners and can't drink alcohol. Don't be a fool.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#28]
You'll be fine

Or You'll die

50/50
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Many didn't and died of things we deem almost trivial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many didn't and died of things we deem almost trivial.

Google says that male life expectancy in 1900 was 46.3 years
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#30]
When I got bit on my trigger finger by one went to base hospital, dr’s there put my hand in ice gave me a bunch of antibiotics drew a line on the bite spot and that was all they could do.

Go get checked I was there in 30 min after getting bit and still had problems. Quick action made it a lot better then it could of been. It ate to the first joint but better then the whole finger or hand.

I still have trouble with that finger to this day. Those little bastards are some bad motherfuckers. Go get looked at sooner than later.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand your advise and agree, although there are Docs here and from what I have read there really isn't anything they can do except watch it progress and excise the necrosis.

Yes, antibiotics may be needed and a local Doc will be needed at that point. Although, I have a supply of antibiotics when necessary

For those saying go to the Doc, what exactly do you think they can do at this point?  Serious question.  

As far as I know, all they can look at it and say yep, spider bite, come back in a couple days and we will take the toe off.  I am hoping they can save enough of the toe so I can still wear flipflops
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#32]
"hi guys I just got shot in the belly twice in a botched robbery.  the bleeding wont stop, but it doesn't hurt too bad.  should I make a dr appointment"

hyperbole for dramatic emphasis but fucking hell people.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, fellas......I just got bit by a black mamba.  Should I..........

*THUNK*

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Go to the ER NOW. I had a friend several years ago that was bitten by one in the thigh and he waited until it was too late to see a doctor. He ended up having several surgeries and regrafts. The poison is a fleash eating toxin. He is still on blood thinners and can't drink alcohol. Don't be a fool.
View Quote

Would have likely had the same outcome even with early care.  There is no anti-toxin.  Doctors that prescribe antibiotics for an early spider bite are only doing so to make you happy
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
my second toe,next to the big toe.
View Quote
Also known as your pointer toe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How much do you need that toe?
View Quote

Only to hold my flipflops on
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Go to doc or ER now.  Got bit three years ago on the back of my thigh.   I waited a week to go to the doctor.   The infection got into my bloodstream.  I had to go on heavy duty antibiotics that almost drove me to blow my brains out.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Google says that male life expectancy in 1900 was 46.3 years
View Quote

if memory serves that number is deceptive, most people didn't die at 46.3 years, the averages were dragged down by high rates of infant mortality.  

doesn't negate the point, but everyone seems to have this perception that a hundred+ years ago a dude in his 40s was considered an old man.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have $20 in my pocket. Should I tell my wife we need to introduce a hooker into our marriage?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I understand your advise and agree, although there are Docs here and from what I have read there really isn't anything they can do except watch it progress and excise the necrosis.

Yes, antibiotics may be needed and a local Doc will be needed at that point. Although, I have a supply of antibiotics when necessary

For those saying go to the Doc, what exactly do you think they can do at this point?  Serious question.  

As far as I know, all they can look at it and say yep, spider bite, come back in a couple days and we will take the toe off.  I am hoping they can save enough of the toe so I can still wear flipflops
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc can prescribe serious antibiotics that will prevent a serious infection before it gets bad.

It’s a deep puncture wound, not something to fuck around with. Their fangs have nasty bacteria on them they just put in your body. They defeated your body’s best defense…your skin.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is this some kind of parody thread? It's getting harder and harder to tell these days.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#42]
90% chance it’s MRSA (most reported “spider bites” are).

If the infection spreads to your lymph system there is a good chance you could die.  

Sit here and ponder this while you ask a bunch of goofballs for medical advice over the net.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Still no pics???

This thread sucks.

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a bite and went to the doc as soon as I recognized it. He prescribed a round of heavy antibiotics and I didn't get the necrosis.  If I touch that spot it is still tender but not mushy anymore.  I got bit in 2001.

Don't dick around, get medical attention now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Black widow bite for me hit me three times while I was sleeping at my grandmothers.  I ended up rolling on it as we found the spider in the bed.  I woke up drenched in sweat and my sheets drenched in sweat, back was in level 9.5 pain, muscles in my back felt like they were being stretched and wrenched apart like the worst Charlie horse ever, and the only way I could describe the pain was 10 people standing around me hitting me with sledgehammers all over my body.  Went to the hospital and they gave me morphine which kind of took the edge off but the muscles just hurt so bad for days afterwards.

Call your doctor and ask what you should do at the very least.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#46]
just kind of wondering, how do you know it was a brown recluse spider that bit you? and did you save it for positive identification?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What makes you think it's a brown recluse?
View Quote

You must not have gotten the memo, everything that can't be easily explained is a spider bite.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#48]
In the absence of antivenom (not available in the United States), we suggest that patients with dermal necrosis receive only symptomatic and supportive wound care; the use of dapsone should be avoided. Dapsone has been advocated by some, but there is no clear benefit from existing evidence and substantial risk of adverse effects including aplastic anemia, methemoglobinemia, and dapsone hypersensitivity [39,40]. In addition, adverse side effects may confound the monitoring of patients with possible systemic loxoscelism.

As discussed further below, early surgical excision and/or curettage of a necrotic lesion as the lesion is still evolving should be avoided. However, once the lesion is demarcated and clinically stable, debridement and wound care may permit better healing. In one series of eight patients, vacuum-assisted wound closure was used to promote healing of necrotic lesions [41] and, in one animal trial, this method was associated with more rapid wound healing [42]. A small minority of necrotic lesions later require surgical revision of scars, including skin grafting.

Several other therapies have been proposed or performed but are not recommended:

?Tetracycline – Application of topical tetracycline has been shown to reduce the progression of dermonecrotic lesions in rabbits exposed to Loxosceles intermedia venom but awaits further study in humans [43].
?Insufficiently studied treatments – Therapies which have not been adequately studied in humans include antihistamines, glucocorticoids, empiric administration of topical or systemic antibiotics, vasodilators, heparin, nitroglycerin, hyperbaric oxygen, dextran, and local electric shock [40,43-45].
?Early surgical interventions – Early surgical excision and/or curettage of a necrotic lesion is potentially harmful [44,46-48]. One retrospective study of 31 patients with bites affecting the upper extremity or hand concluded that painful and recurrent wound breakdown occurred more often with early surgical excision [47].
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#49]
antibiotic and steroid is what I have seen in time past. The latter seems to be the most important.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't know when people became such pansies. Doctors these days seem to do nothing more than prescribe something that can be obtained over the counter, slap you with a massive bill, then tell you to have a nice day. Why bother?

These days "go to the emergency room!" is the default like it's synonymous with getting some gas. Ridiculous.
View Quote

Seriously, if some of these guys were girls, they'd be in the ER a week every month cause they were bleeding to death........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top