Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Dear fellow GD members,

I was out fishing the other day and I got nipped by a shark.  I am well stocked with fish meds but looking for other opinions on how I should treat it.  I'm hoping to avoid doctors because they are all democrats.
See picture of actual incident!
Serious answers only.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably should go to a professional medical expert.

I only come to General Discussion for financial advice.
View Quote

Or relationship advice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doc can prescribe serious antibiotics that will prevent a serious infection before it gets bad.

It’s a deep puncture wound, not something to fuck around with. Their fangs have nasty bacteria on them they just put in your body. They defeated your body’s best defense…your skin.
View Quote

Deep puncture wound? A mosquito proboscis is about 5 times longer then the fangs of a recluse.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
OP is going into the ABSSSI route and will need IV antibiotics
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Deep puncture wound? A mosquito proboscis is about 5 times longer then the fangs of a recluse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc can prescribe serious antibiotics that will prevent a serious infection before it gets bad.

It’s a deep puncture wound, not something to fuck around with. Their fangs have nasty bacteria on them they just put in your body. They defeated your body’s best defense…your skin.

Lol. Doesn’t matter how deep once it’s into fatty layer. A spider bite is nothing to fuck around with and getting on strong antibiotics right fucking now is the best way to prevent a serious infection.

My bite he penetrated the bursa sack in my elbow.  Cellulitis is no fucking joke. Possible limb losing or life threatening.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I work with a guy who was bitten by a BR.  He lost half his calf and had a gaping wound directly fed by IV antibiotics for weeks.  He could have lost the leg.

TL;DR: Don't sweat it.  Rub some dirt on it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

if memory serves that number is deceptive, most people didn't die at 46.3 years, the averages were dragged down by high rates of infant mortality.  

doesn't negate the point, but everyone seems to have this perception that a hundred+ years ago a dude in his 40s was considered an old man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google says that male life expectancy in 1900 was 46.3 years

if memory serves that number is deceptive, most people didn't die at 46.3 years, the averages were dragged down by high rates of infant mortality.  

doesn't negate the point, but everyone seems to have this perception that a hundred+ years ago a dude in his 40s was considered an old man.

Interesting.  I clicked on this thread to get some entertainment and actually got some edumacation, too.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got bit yesterday morning by what I believe was a Brown Recluse.  The bite was on the tip of my second toe,next to the big toe.

I first noticed a little irritation and thought I was developing an ingrown toe nail.

As the day progressed the toe continued to swell and by the end of the day the skin was mostly blistered.  I took Benedryl (50mg three times), so the histamine response was minimized.

Anyway this morning the toe is a little more swollen and a little more blistered.  Very sensitive to touch.   No throbbing or pain unless touched.

My question is at what point do I need medical attention?  From my research they really can not treat the reaction to the venom and can only excise the necrotic tissue, correct?

So go to the Doc when necrosis starts?  Or sooner?
View Quote

Need to post feet pics for further analysis.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, ok.  To make you guys and my wife happy, I called the Doc.  Waiting for a call back.

I have a few pics.  Who is the recommended photo host these days?

Edit.  I will update after the Docs tells me there is nothing she can do.  I fully expect to lose the toe, hopefully they can keep a stub.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
No one likes going to the doctor but this is one of those times that you need to go
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Based on your use of advise vs advice...I would say go to a Dr.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
go see a dermatologist

I got bit on the back of my leg and a marble size lump popped up with no pain but it became mushy and dark.

Dr. injected it with antibiotic and a steroid and it cleared up in about a week.

Go now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I witnessed at Ft Benning... Go get it looked at by a professional, ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Don’t wait .
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
ER, like RFN.
An old buddy of mine damn near lost his leg over a Brown Recluse bite.
Not to mention the fact that the septic shock nearly killed him
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The correct time is THE INSTANT YOU GET BIT

I got bit by a big one on the fucking neck with no real problems other than extreme pain on day 1 because I went to the freaking ER with the dead spider in a bag.

Hope your toe isn't too far gone
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Username checks out
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
My late namesake uncle was a waist gunner in the Pacific on a B-24 Liberator.
He survived many things but it was a BR bite that nearly killed him.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]
For the record, Benadryl is 1940's technology.

For home histamine blocking, try a combo of Zyrtec and Pepcid.

Yes Pepcid is marketed as an acid blocker for stomach problems, it works by blocking H2 histamine receptors.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn’t be infected this quickly.

If it’s gonna become necrotic, either it will or won’t.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

I really wonder how our ancestors survived without an urgent care or ER on every corner to run to over every little thing
View Quote

This.  I woke up with a BR bite on my thumb that had been a little red bump the day before and was now a blister.  My back was killing me and my thumb felt like it had a cigar being put out on it.  Doc confirmed suspected BR bite and told me to monitor it for signs of necrosis and he would refer me to a plastic surgeon.  Gave me no scripts.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Try to catch any spiders you can in the house and interrogate them, pulling legs off until they give up the one that bit you.

Seriously though, good luck, hope the doc can help you and it doesn't get worse.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]
MRSA spider
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Man the fuck up...grab a hatchet and chop that stubby little thing off...problem solved
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#29]
If you have to ask ARFCOM if you need a doctor... nevermind. You'll be just fine. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a family member that has a PHD in entomology. I told him about this post and he replied that the guy (OP) is a fucking retard for not going to the doctor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
GO TO THE DOCTOR JFC
View Quote

I'm not saying that's bad advice but how did people survive for eons without urgent care? The panic in this thread is reminiscent of the tic bite panic threads.

OP, I would say watch the bite for sure and if you don't see improvement, save yourself $600 and make an appointment with your GP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
See a doctor!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Not every brown recluse bite turns into a rotten mess
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
4 weeks into treating my 75 lb dog for a recluse bite, he went to the vet 24 hours after the bite. . He has wounds from the spreading venom on 30 % of his body, some  1/4 inch deep. He's taking 12 pills a day to fight the infection. We expect he will survive at this point but may still loose his tail, and will be months before his back heals.  From now on I will kill any spider I see.... Go to a doctor now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
4 weeks into treating my 75 lb dog for a recluse bite, he went to the vet 24 hours after the bite. . He has wounds from the spreading venom on 30 % of his body, some  1/4 inch deep. He's taking 12 pills a day to fight the infection. We expect he will survive at this point but may still loose his tail, and will be months before his back heals.  From now on I will kill any spider I see.... Go to a doctor now.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Lance the blister, cut away the dead skin, put neosporin on it, then wrap it in gauze.

This is what the doc did for my first BR bite, and I just had to do this for myself and my son this week.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#37]
ADVICE

ADVICE

ADVICE is different than ADVISE
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Told this story a couple times now in recluse bite threads:

At basic training, a guy got bite in the lower back while sitting on the shitter at the grenade range. He had no idea.

It started as a small red bump.
By the time it was all over with, the hospital cut a fist size chunk out of his back.
He was rolled back to reception to heal, and as far as we knew, he was still there when we graduated from AIT months later.

BR bites aren't something to fuck with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Probably should go to a professional medical expert.

I only come to General Discussion for financial advice.
View Quote

Me too, and now I have no money worries cause I have no money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I really do not understand some of you people. You have a serious / potentially serious medical condition and you post on here instead of seeking professional help? I’ve seen it time and time again and I just have to ask what kind of person does this?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
go to UC, are you 12 years old
View Quote

Yep, hit up your local urgent care facility. Don't wait for doctor appointments. Go now
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Not a spider bite. Unless you saw it happen of course.

People claim spider bite for every single MRSA infection.

What OP needs to do is go to the UR and get checked for the beetus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mrsa/symptoms-causes/syc-20375336

Unless you saw the spider chomp. It wasn’t a spider.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a hole in the back of my calf from one. Go to the doctor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#46]
If this is an emergency please hang up and call 911.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not every brown recluse bite turns into a rotten mess
View Quote

True, same goes for venomous snake bites too
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Two weeks turn black fall off.

Call us or post results in a week
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Seriously, if some of these guys were girls, they'd be in the ER a week every month cause they were bleeding to death........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know when people became such pansies. Doctors these days seem to do nothing more than prescribe something that can be obtained over the counter, slap you with a massive bill, then tell you to have a nice day. Why bother?

These days "go to the emergency room!" is the default like it's synonymous with getting some gas. Ridiculous.

Seriously, if some of these guys were girls, they'd be in the ER a week every month cause they were bleeding to death........

Ya, you guys are he-men of the universe, most men tremble in fear as you walk into a room.. if I ever got bit by a Recluse, I'll be a little faggot ass bitch and go to urgent care.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top