Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pulling the trigger out of battery is the easy part.

You’re saying it’s an emotional support button after all.
View Quote

I see where you’re coming from. Still not blaming it all on the fa. Lots of wrong done in that video.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So was he forcing a round in that didn’t fit or pushing his emotional support button?
View Quote

He was an uneducated shooter misusing the weapon.

That doesn't invalidate the fucking premise of the FA.

Using something incorrectly is a result of stupidity or ignorance, not its existence.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How many of them see the extensive use in adverse conditions that the AR platform sees?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not useless! Pretty much every semi auto rifle on the market has one!

Oh... Wait...

How many of them see the extensive use in adverse conditions that the AR platform sees?

Don't most semis have a foward assist in one shape or another....

Off the top of my head....AUG, X95, Scar (new and old model), AK, Galil, ARX100, Daewoo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I never understood the hate for the FA ???????
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put your thumb there after a mag dump or three.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used the FA several times when I was in the Military.  I'll be keeping mine if given the choice, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Using something incorrectly is a result of stupidity or ignorance, not its existence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was he forcing a round in that didn’t fit or pushing his emotional support button?

Systematic user failures are engineering failures.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit...
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never understood the hate for the FA ???????
View Quote

I don’t either. Most guys here probably know way more than I do about the AR platform, some guys have forgotten more than I will ever know so for most discussions I am content to learn, but in this case I can’t see a logical reason not to have it. You don’t have to use it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
@Ryan_Scott

I get that you watch a lot of youtube videos and take the AF at it's word... but some other branches learned some shit.

Adverse conditions exist outside of AF conditions where you remove physical barriers to make a base look nicer despite the threat of adversary saboteurs, that require the necessity of things you might not quite understand in your sheltered life of reading many magazine articles by people hawking new receivers with no FA who only shoot competitions that they're always able to stand in.

However, an entirely frightening world to your kind exists out there. One where dust and dirt particles get into your gun while it's cycling that may necessitate a quick tab to the forward assist.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you’re shooting and have an issue rip the charging handle back and toss out the bad round.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was a squib. It wasn’t caused by the FA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was a squib. It wasn’t caused by the FA.

No shit Mr. Helper!  Like most people he didn’t understand how to employ the FA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Forward "assist".

It assists the bolt going forward.  How and when you apply that is up to you.  If you beat it each time you load a mag and after each and every failure making no effort to understand what has occurred then you can create a problem because you are not being very intellegent.  Same as you could by simply ripping the mag and reinserting it and slamming till you finally get it to go into battery.  That can leave you in a bad spot too.  

It's really quite comical the amount of argument and work people put into moaning about something that is entirely up to them to use or not use and that doesn't have to be included in their build if they don't want it.  It's not something that I would spend a moment worried about just randomly ruining my shooting day.  Don't just beat the damn thing without understanding whats going on.  Don't want one, don't get one.  "It's useless" is patently false.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No shit Mr. Helper!  Like most people he didn’t understand how to employ the FA.
View Quote

No reason to be a little cunt about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

BT,DT - it’s not like you are parking your thumb there for a full minute.
Have seen a forward assist break - it took a while and some tools to untuck that rifle…
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, compressing the live round in behind it was enabled by the forward assist.
View Quote

Right. Tracking now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t like to get my thumbs dirty…
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a good thread to say.

Hey.

Why didn't anyone tell me they make the M4E1 upper w/o forward assist.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-stripped-upper-no-forward-assist-anodized-black

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If the round cannot properly seat under normal spring pressure. It is unwise to force a cartridge in there that may be out of spec and thus dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]
C7 style uppers have them and C7 style uppers are the best uppers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Right. Tracking now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, compressing the live round in behind it was enabled by the forward assist.

Right. Tracking now.

That’s what I was getting at. It could have been high primers or excessive case length too but I’m going with stuck bullet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Ryan_Scott

I get that you watch a lot of youtube videos and take the AF at it's word... but some other branches learned some shit.

Adverse conditions exist outside of AF conditions where you remove physical barriers to make a base look nicer despite the threat of adversary saboteurs, that require the necessity of things you might not quite understand in your sheltered life of reading many magazine articles by people hawking new receivers with no FA who only shoot competitions that they're always able to stand in.

However, an entirely frightening world to your kind exists out there. One where dust and dirt particles get into your gun while it's cycling that may necessitate a quick tab to the forward assist.

View Quote

If by Air Force you mean Gene Stoner and almost all instructors.

There’s a very narrow window for dirt in an AR between not a problem and FA can’t save you now. Very narrow. We’re you still teaching people not to lube guns in the desert in 2008?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No shit...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit...
How hot do you guys think the outside of a BC gets?

I believe the test I read was about 120 degrees after 5 mags in FA.

So nothing crazy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
IF you need to use the FA, it is best to eject the problem round.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Helper!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've used the FA several times when I was in the Military.  I'll be keeping mine if given the choice, thanks.
View Quote

I am still working one in right now. This system is not as smooth as a Colt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Too bad there’s not something you can wear on your hand that protects it from things like heat.

Oh wait, people start accusing you of being a flat-range LARPer if you wear those…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad there’s not something you can wear on your hand that protects it from things like heat.

Oh wait, people start accusing you of being a flat-range LARPer if you wear those…

Right, because all you need is a now-thicker thumb to squeeze into an opening that was never designed for a thumb, just to avoid pushing a simple device.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Instead of a quick tap to insure the bolt slid home they are are insisting that if its there you’ll pound the maul on a double feed and wedge the bolt fast so the while rifle is locked up tight.  

The FA is great if the thing gets some grit in it or a cold rifle sticks up a bit, or you don't want the sound of a full rack/slam and you need the round in there.  Used it a couple times for exactly that purpose.  All you have to do is not be an idiot and just beat the thing like a Russian cosmonaut in Armageddon for every malfunction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the Malfunction Enhancement Button?

PRESS HERE TO FUCK YOUR SHIT

I see this trope being pushed more and more... please expound.

Instead of a quick tap to insure the bolt slid home they are are insisting that if its there you’ll pound the maul on a double feed and wedge the bolt fast so the while rifle is locked up tight.  

The FA is great if the thing gets some grit in it or a cold rifle sticks up a bit, or you don't want the sound of a full rack/slam and you need the round in there.  Used it a couple times for exactly that purpose.  All you have to do is not be an idiot and just beat the thing like a Russian cosmonaut in Armageddon for every malfunction.

To hear some people exaggerate things, you'd think any reciprocating charging handle weapon must have been a total disaster, with people inducing worse malfunctions left and right.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
DUST COVERS ARE USELESS!!!!

oh, wait wrong thread.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If by Air Force you mean Gene Stoner and almost all instructors.

There’s a very narrow window for dirt in an AR between not a problem and FA can’t save you now. Very narrow. We’re you still teaching people not to lube guns in the desert in 2008?
View Quote

Lube is a requirement in all environments. What's your operational experience and resume? @Ryan_Scott?

List the times you've utilized an AR in an adverse environment?

Or using a gun at all?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

To hear some people exaggerate things, you'd think any reciprocating charging handle weapon must have been a total disaster, with people inducing worse malfunctions left and right.
View Quote

The problem is that the ability of the FA to push things in exceeds the ability of the bolt and extra to to pull things out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#38]
How bored must somebody be to point out the fact they think the forward assist is useless.

Get a life dude
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why you never found a niche selling cool hats and "tactical" classes to civilians, man.

You gotta make a name for yourself by going against the mainstream, then speak derisively against "Big Army" or such, spitting right after you do.

People will line up for blocks to give you money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol!  Not my style...
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Push, pull, rack and roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rittenhouse would be dead if it weren't for the FA

Push, pull, rack and roll.

If you had watched the video of the attack, you'd know that there was no time for that:
Skater Boi's hand was over the ejection port when Kyle shot him. This slowed down the bolt enough that it didn't fully go into battery. Kyle had enough presence of mind to notice that, smack the FA, and engage Antifa Medic guy  (all in about 2 seconds) before he could get a shot off
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is why you never found a niche selling cool hats and "tactical" classes to civilians, man.

You gotta make a name for yourself by going against the mainstream, then speak derisively against "Big Army" or such, spitting right after you do.

People will line up for blocks to give you money.
View Quote

What malfunction exists that can be solved with a forward assist, but not the charging handle?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lube is a requirement in all environments. What's your operational experience and resume? @Ryan_Scott?
View Quote

Industry side bro, not operational.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol!  Not my style...
View Quote

I was looking forward to AZ5326X2 brand hair gel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What malfunction exists that can be solved with a forward assist, but not the charging handle?
View Quote

The AR charging handle is non-reciprocating. It does not assist the bolt into battery. It also, fortunately, doesn't cycle back while shooting. That would make things awkward for the shooter.

Thus the only way to push an out-of-battery bolt into battery is either to A) rack the thing all the way back and let the spring and physics do their thing or B) stuck your grubby thumb in through the ejection port. The latter is a technique, sure. It's just that a simple device allowing that to be done without sticking your grubby paw in there also exists. Many people have a bizarre hatred of said device, and many others eschew said device to prove how tacticool they are, since Trainer Ted told them it was for sissies.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you're here to sell shit and don't actually know shit?

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

LOL no.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top