Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For what it is, very much so. The 992’s (current Gen) has a few known thing but not major, same goes for the 991’s. Even the dreaded IMS baring issue on 996/997 cars were overblown.
View Quote

I've had Mustangs and a Trans Am.

My son is turning 16, his daily is going to be a truck or sedan of some type. I'd love for me to get a fun sports car that you don't see everyday. I've looked at older 300zx, and Porsches//////so you're saying a 996/997 with paperwork of a repaired IMS bearing is good to go if it has been maintained....
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Subaru BRZ, some bolt-on upgrades, and track time.
View Quote

Im 50, similar life situation, and this has been my choice. The car is stupid fun. Not super fast, but the handling is telepathic. Really fun car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

About every Porsche should come with a roll of pigmat and a 50% discount coupon for common, yet exceedingly expensive repair bills, even if you DIY.
About every BMW should come with a turn signal upgrade and the disclaimer that you'll never get that platform-fatal recall approved.
About every Mustang should come with a tool that permanently removes the stability control button (or extracts light poles people from the front bumper).

We could do this all day!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Corvette shold come with free white New Balance shoes as a stereotype.  Get a classic car or motorcycle of somekind.

About every Porsche should come with a roll of pigmat and a 50% discount coupon for common, yet exceedingly expensive repair bills, even if you DIY.
About every BMW should come with a turn signal upgrade and the disclaimer that you'll never get that platform-fatal recall approved.
About every Mustang should come with a tool that permanently removes the stability control button (or extracts light poles people from the front bumper).

Mustang part fixed
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Im 50, similar life situation, and this has been my choice. The car is stupid fun. Not super fast, but the handling is telepathic. Really fun car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subaru BRZ, some bolt-on upgrades, and track time.

The second gens really woke up with that new engine. Kind like how the ND really perked up after the MY18 engine update. I wish I had cars like that when I was younger and actually autoxing and racing a lot. One of my friends picked up a new BRZ a few months ago and uses it for his track car down in Texas. He turns impressive times in it and it won't break the bank either for long term ownership.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Id go 2013 M3 (~30K) + Full Ti Exhaust ($~10K)+Nice wheel setup and any cosmetic fixes.

Would be a kick ass sports car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Db9.
Many available under 50k.
Started out as 150k.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That said, the new Supra is SMALL. It is not Miata small, but they feel very tiny compared to a Mustamaroallnger. The Supra also doesn't have the power of a new Vette, but it also doesn't have the New Balance and Jorts stigma... it has a different stigma (that of being a BMW).

View Quote

I told my wife the Mk. V was "a larger car" than my FR-S when I was considering the purchase. Technically correct, the best kind of correct!

Also, Nitro Yellow is the best color for the Mk. V, fact.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]
2012 Boss 302.  And have 10-15 grand left over for mods or hookers
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Today I learned there are age appropriate cars. I like the RS Audi cars, am I too old or too young? Can’t keep up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Today I learned there are age appropriate cars. I like the RS Audi cars, am I too old or too young? Can’t keep up.
View Quote

I don't buy into this. I'm 47 and daily my Supra. I saw a guy that had to be in his 70s hop out of a VW GTI at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago.

Drive whatever you want.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're a medium to not-large guy, and just want to cruise I'd opt for a 1969 to 1972 MB 280 SL roadster. It's the "pagoda roof" model. It's a personal preference thing, I loved them as a kid. Not much on the road that can touch it for class.

If you want something more modern, you're right in the ballpark for an F-Type Jaguar. There were two that ran around Hendersonville NC when I lived there. You could watch the people stop and heads turn as those cars came through the historic district. Gorgeous car, beautiful interior, coupe and convertible. Go with the V8...just for the lovely noise.

Bring a Trailer F-Type Jag auction record
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the sexiest cars out there, and has a big motor that is easily tunable if you want more power.

2016-2018 BMW M6.

Stage 1 (up to 720HP/900NM) - 91oct/95ron, 93oct/98ron, 95oct/102ron, for stock cars and cars with gasoline particulate filter.
Stage 2 (up to 780HP/950NM) - 91oct/95ron, 93oct/98ron, 95oct/102ron, for cars equipped with high-flow downpipe and no gasoline particulate filter.
Ethanol Mix Maps (up to 800HP/1000NM): Stage 1 and 2 Maps for ethanol blends of 30%+

Quiet, fast, every option, and turns heads everywhere you go.  You'll make excuses to drive it.  

I have the 640i, the inline 6 turbo version.  I absolutely love it, and I can only imagine how the twin turbo V8  would be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Corvette shold come with free white New Balance shoes as a stereotype.  Get a classic car or motorcycle of somekind.
View Quote

Don’t forget the red corvette hat and grey hair.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't buy into this. I'm 47 and daily my Supra. I saw a guy that had to be in his 70s hop out of a VW GTI at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago.

Drive whatever you want.
View Quote

Sorry couldn’t hear you over those big ole cartoon boobies
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
You'd have to buy used and it's a sports car.
Never buy a used sports car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#16]
a used hyundai and index funds
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not for $50k...  More in the $70k range.

C7 Stingray yes, ZO6 not likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
C7 Z06.

Not for $50k...  More in the $70k range.

C7 Stingray yes, ZO6 not likely.

I assumed there was some wiggle room. If not, C6.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you're a medium to not-large guy, and just want to cruise I'd opt for a 1969 to 1972 MB 280 SL roadster. It's the "pagoda roof" model. It's a personal preference thing, I loved them as a kid. Not much on the road that can touch it for class.

If you want something more modern, you're right in the ballpark for an F-Type Jaguar. There were two that ran around Hendersonville NC when I lived there. You could watch the people stop and heads turn as those cars came through the historic district. Gorgeous car, beautiful interior, coupe and convertible. Go with the V8...just for the lovely noise.

Bring a Trailer F-Type Jag auction record
View Quote

Someone hasn't priced W113 280SLs lately. Do a quick search. It will blow your mind!

They are not relatively cheap used cars any more. They have become very collectable.

I do agree that they are wonderful little touring cars but picking up one cheap hasn't been an option for more than twenty five years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Db9.
Many available under 50k.
Started out as 150k.
View Quote

Reliability and maintenance cost?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Audi RS3
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Day dreaming a little.  I am 46 and a year out from a bad divorce and thinking of finally doing something for me.  I have found Corvettes that are a few years old, 7-8 year old Porsche, newer Supra, Maserati few years old, and some slightly used BMWs.  What suggestions does the collective wisdom of GD have?
View Quote

Either a used good condition Vette or M3. Most fun:$ ratio
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of the sexiest cars out there, and has a big motor that is easily tunable if you want more power.

2016-2018 BMW M6.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34767/m6-2756129.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34767/m6_interior-2756137.png

Stage 1 (up to 720HP/900NM) - 91oct/95ron, 93oct/98ron, 95oct/102ron, for stock cars and cars with gasoline particulate filter.
Stage 2 (up to 780HP/950NM) - 91oct/95ron, 93oct/98ron, 95oct/102ron, for cars equipped with high-flow downpipe and no gasoline particulate filter.
Ethanol Mix Maps (up to 800HP/1000NM): Stage 1 and 2 Maps for ethanol blends of 30%+

Quiet, fast, every option, and turns heads everywhere you go.  You'll make excuses to drive it.  

I have the 640i, the inline 6 turbo version.  I absolutely love it, and I can only imagine how the twin turbo V8  would be.
View Quote

That's a metric fuck-ton of power for just touring around, and the gran coupe isn't really a sports car. Actually, neither is the two door for that matter. I traded in my manual tranny 335i for a new 640i coupe to do a 90 mile commute up and down I-5 in WA. I drove the M6, it was way over the top for what I wanted/needed. You are right though, they're beautiful, powerful and incredibly well appointed. Kept me from losing my mind in a job I hated for three years. My boss followed me out the gate one afternoon, and the next morning he said, "I heard you had a nice car, but damn..."

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am 45 and have a deposit down on a new RS3.

I want something fun to drive that sounds frickin' amazing, and I won't feel like a douche parking it in front of the factory. Great sleeper cars that can do sub 4 second 0-60, and nice inside. I can also do some mods on it that are tasteful and have fun in that aspect as well.

I have also been looking at Porsche and R8s, but those are going to need to be later in life for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]
So many good options out there for around $50k. All personal preference.

If it's a cash deal, I'd lean towards a well done 60's muscle car of your liking.

I dig this

Aston Martin
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]
C6 Z06
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So many good options out there for around $50k. All personal preference.

If it's a cash deal, I'd lean towards a well done 60's muscle car of your liking.

I dig this

Aston Martin
View Quote

I looked really, really hard at an Aston Martin in WA before buying another BMW. There's a big(ish) dealership in Bellevue, and they had a good selection of late model, low mileage cars that were well in my range. There's a reason Jeremy C loves those things, they're just amazingly beautiful.

What killed it was the transmission setup. I was going to commute it, and needed an automatic. The sales guy told me it was designed to be driven with the paddles..."you can drive it in auto, but it wears hard on the internals". I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but it killed that car at that time for me. Hard to believe it's true, but I can't imagine why he'd make it up...he wanted to sell me a car, kept calling for quite a while.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought this last year for right about your budget
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I looked really, really hard at an Aston Martin in WA before buying another BMW. There's a big(ish) dealership in Bellevue, and they had a good selection of late model, low mileage cars that were well in my range. There's a reason Jeremy C loves those things, they're just amazingly beautiful.

What killed it was the transmission setup. I was going to commute it, and needed an automatic. The sales guy told me it was designed to be driven with the paddles..."you can drive it in auto, but it wears hard on the internals". I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but it killed that car at that time for me. Hard to believe it's true, but I can't imagine why he'd make it up...he wanted to sell me a car, kept calling for quite a while.
View Quote

Some of the older Astons (like the Vanquish) didn't have traditional autos; they had SMGs (sequential manuals). Those generally do want to be shifted using the paddles; they have an automated mode but it isn't great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Day dreaming a little.  I am 46 and a year out from a bad divorce and thinking of finally doing something for me.  I have found Corvettes that are a few years old, 7-8 year old Porsche, newer Supra, Maserati few years old, and some slightly used BMWs.  What suggestions does the collective wisdom of GD have?
View Quote

C5 Corvette or later is always the answer..
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Backseat...
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since the early Acura NSX is out of reach at this price point, I would also go with the Honda S2000...

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/59889719ec2fa_IMG_5020-1.jpg
View Quote

Excellent choice and there is one still available for an hour or so.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-honda-s2000-148/
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Mazda Miata. Try one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Need to know real estate assets…
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Here you go OP

Italian Vroom Vroom

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Save your money. Things aren't looking too good for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Brand new?

I would buy a manual Supra.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#39]
@SideCarGT
@44rdv4rk
@GroundhogOZ
@ColdboreDreamer

Wow lotta love for the 981 Caymans here, I've been getting ready to go on an Aston V8 Vantage but honestly shit scared of the maintenance burden (not so much the cost but the volume and niche/sparse network of folks that can work on them).

But the 981 looks a great car, really looking at those now. How safe a bet are these with, say 50k/60k miles on the clock ?

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
B8.5 Audi RS5 w/4.2 v8 available in coupe or cabriolet. I’d say manual 911 but think you’d need to up the budget.
View Quote

Stay away from audi especially used audi.  Worst POS car I ever owned and I once owned a Fiat and a Corvair.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Both the 2.7L flat 6 and 3.4L flat6 have proven to be incredibly reliable.  

The pick is the 3.4L so 981 Cayman S - its a sweet engine, raucous sounding, revs to around 7,600.  As long as you do regular servicing they seem to run forever.  

Another point to note, the 981 and all modern Porsches are mainly aluminium with aluminium underpinnings which means they last well in all environments.  The factory rust warranty is 10 years.  

If you like the driving experience, fast corners and NA engines its really hard to beat Porsche. Keep in mind the following generation (718) went to turbocharged 2L and 2.5L 4 bangers and kept the body from the 981 (with minor cosmetic differences) for good reason.  Great looking and very genuine sports car.

As a point of reference, and with out going into it, I have quite a few very nice pieces of sheet metal.........one of them is a 981 GTS (with the 3.4L flat 6).  In other words, I followed my own advice

In terms of maintenance issues with Porsche sports cars - I have owned them for 20plus years and in that entire ownership history I have had only one failure, that failure was a water pump on a 991.2 GTS which was replaced free of charge (defective batch of water pumps that Porsche were aware of.

Another point to note, I read a statistic somewhere that 70% of Porsche sports cars ever built are still on the road.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#42]
You could get a decent 911sc for 50k.   That's what I would get.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, broadly speaking. That said, like most German cars they are not very forgiving of delayed maintenance, and OEM parts are not cheap. You can bring costs down a bit by doing the work yourself or finding a reasonable independent Euro shop, but the Porsche tax is real and you do need to account for it.
As long as you keep up with maintenance they aren't going to leave you stranded.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would make me tired.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Audi RS3
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

No worries, you can get your Miata.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At a 50K price point this is a damned good choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A ZL1.

At a 50K price point this is a damned good choice.

All you need is a change of underwear, a good life insurance policy and you’re set!
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@SideCarGT
@44rdv4rk
@GroundhogOZ
@ColdboreDreamer

Wow lotta love for the 981 Caymans here, I've been getting ready to go on an Aston V8 Vantage but honestly shit scared of the maintenance burden (not so much the cost but the volume and niche/sparse network of folks that can work on them).

But the 981 looks a great car, really looking at those now. How safe a bet are these with, say 50k/60k miles on the clock ?

View Quote

Porsche maintenance is very reasonable compared to other foreign sports cars. Solid cars. The things that nickel and dime you are a few electronics and the plastic trim pieces. The majority of the cars are bulletproof.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Jaguar F-Type R
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am 45 and have a deposit down on a new RS3.

I want something fun to drive that sounds frickin' amazing, and I won't feel like a douche parking it in front of the factory. Great sleeper cars that can do sub 4 second 0-60, and nice inside. I can also do some mods on it that are tasteful and have fun in that aspect as well.

I have also been looking at Porsche and R8s, but those are going to need to be later in life for me.
View Quote

The latest RS3 is looking to be like an amazing send off for the 5cylinder engine.

I will forever be biased towards wishing they would sell the hatch here for all five of us who would buy it, but the sedan is pretty damn proper.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top