Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A truck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#2]
ZL1 1LE
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The nicest 911 bodied Porsche I could find. They all seem to really appreciate in value and I kick myself for letting my Red 72 Targa get away.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
New Mazda Miata RF.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a new Z
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I miss my 1982 Corvette.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd have to buy used and it's a sports car.
Never buy a used sports car.
View Quote

CPO 911s are exquisite. And come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a used hyundai and index funds
View Quote

When you are 75 and finally decide to do something fun, you won't be able to.

You only get so many days on this planet. Enjoy some of them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Lotus
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought an 392 challenger that has been a blast to drive. It's more car than I have decent road to drive 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Porsche maintenance is very reasonable compared to other foreign sports cars. Solid cars. The things that nickel and dime you are a few electronics and the plastic trim pieces. The majority of the cars are bulletproof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Porsche maintenance is very reasonable compared to other foreign sports cars. Solid cars. The things that nickel and dime you are a few electronics and the plastic trim pieces. The majority of the cars are bulletproof.

Quoted:
Both the 2.7L flat 6 and 3.4L flat6 have proven to be incredibly reliable.  

The pick is the 3.4L so 981 Cayman S - its a sweet engine, raucous sounding, revs to around 7,600.  As long as you do regular servicing they seem to run forever.  

Another point to note, the 981 and all modern Porsches are mainly aluminium with aluminium underpinnings which means they last well in all environments.  The factory rust warranty is 10 years.  

If you like the driving experience, fast corners and NA engines its really hard to beat Porsche. Keep in mind the following generation (718) went to turbocharged 2L and 2.5L 4 bangers and kept the body from the 981 (with minor cosmetic differences) for good reason.  Great looking and very genuine sports car.

As a point of reference, and with out going into it, I have quite a few very nice pieces of sheet metal.........one of them is a 981 GTS (with the 3.4L flat 6).  In other words, I followed my own advice

In terms of maintenance issues with Porsche sports cars - I have owned them for 20plus years and in that entire ownership history I have had only one failure, that failure was a water pump on a 991.2 GTS which was replaced free of charge (defective batch of water pumps that Porsche were aware of.

Another point to note, I read a statistic somewhere that 70% of Porsche sports cars ever built are still on the road.

Thankyou guys, will spend some time researching etc but so far I'm immediately feeling more enthusiastic than for an Aston :-)
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1976ish Vette...  Build it up real nice, save 25K for road trips.

T tops

Side pipes.

Crate engine/trans.

Really good two-tone paint, 70s throw back theme.

Drive it until the wheels fall off.  Travel.  See new shit.  

Hell, put a CB in it for kicks.

It ain't gotta be new to be cool.  It ain't gotta be expensive to be attractive.
View Quote
Pretty what I'll be doing this summer in this toy I picked up a few months ago.  Already big block/overdrive swapped.  Loud stupid cheap fun for the summer

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MP5
View Quote
This. Insurance won't bleed your accounts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cruising around, thanks for all the great ideas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends what you're going to use it for. Track days and carving canyons or just cruising around to enjoy yourself?

Cruising around, thanks for all the great ideas.
So you're really looking for a fun to drive chick magnet?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
911 is bullet proof. Corvette, not so much.

Get a 2007 911 turbo. That was the last year of the metzger motor that won 24 hr lemans. Just be safe. Couldn't keep my foot out of the floor and 200mph is not safe, even if the track is clear. At some point your luck will run out.
View Quote

The Metzger engine in 911s went until 2009 in the US until the 997.2 Turbo arrived in 2010.  For the 997.1 Turbos (996s have the aweful headlights no one wants), the US years were 2007 to 2009.  

The engine is solid once a few problems are fixed that Porsche should have issued recalls for.  
1.  Coolant pipes.  They will all come off and need to be pinned or welded.  Simple fix, but requires an expensive engine drop.
2.  Spun variable cam shafts.  The 2-peice design twists on each other.  Not inevitable like coolant pipes, but it's very common.  Again, requires an engine drop.  

On Rennlist, you see bills for those in the $13k range at independent shops at current fuck you pricing.  

911 prices are still over-inflated.  For fucks sake even a 2007 997.1 Turbo tiptronic automagic is a $90k car now.  $55k pre-Biden.  Thus, my high 7s 1/4 mile 911 drag car plans have been snuffed.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The C6Z06 weight 3100 pounds, 500 hp close to that in torque. Easy to work on and mod

Most cars weight in over 3500 pounds

Hand of GOD brakes. 9 out 10 in handling

202 mph stoc

I regret selling my C6 Z51 car.

I've driven tube chassis racecars

Porsche 930's. With BIG HP NUMBERS

Track prepped Mustangs

Shifter karts

Big block muscle cars

The Z06 does everything well and has air conditioning.

If I was given my choice to only own one car for the rest of my life.  And had 50k?

Z06
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top