Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The desert will snatch the life right out of you
View Quote

It can be done, but you really need to know exactly where the water sources are. Most of them (at least where I am) are year-round springs that require a lot of effort to get to. I spent a fair portion of my early 20s backpacking the SW, always with good topomaps, and 99% of the time I never found water with just a map alone.

That's really the only scenario I can see where bugging out for a week would be a good idea.
1) You know exactly where the water is.
2) It's extremely uncommon knowledge
3) It's hard to get to in an easily defendable location (steep mountains, etc.)

Waiting it out without much food would suck, but by the time you came back after a week or so, most people would be dead, even if they ran-sacked your house.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The interesting angle is - if you live semi-rural - will be the city folks that are would be panicked and clueless just showing up.

If an earthquake/civil disaster/chemical spill/nuke/etc. happened in a major to midsized city, the streams of people (sensibly) pouring out to go to some friend's place in the country, on their way to family across the highways, or wherever... and (unsensibly) don't make it all the way/run out of gas/hotels full/etc...
Then they're camping and knocking on doors for food and shelter.
]
View Quote

Good thing there aren't any cities like that within 50 miles of me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Owning land you visit on occasion and expecting the locals to treat you like one of them when you show up might not work, depending on the nature of the locals. I've had this conversation with people that have hay leases on land owned by Florida plastic surgeons who show up once a year or two to hunt, for example.

I don't actually think shtf will happen. Things will just continue to get worse and people will, by necessity, become less friendly to outsiders.
View Quote

Yeah, I would assume the worst.
No one will care about any paperwork with my name on it.  

Plus, I'm not dragging my family from our house to go try to live in a tent on 5 acres with neighbors we would barely know.  It is wet, windy, and snowing here today.  Being stranded outside with limited resources would make a horrible situation worse.   Unless there is radiation (or something like that) in the air, I'm staying put.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The interesting angle is - if you live semi-rural - will be the city folks that are would be panicked and clueless just showing up.

If an earthquake/civil disaster/chemical spill/nuke/etc. happened in a major to midsized city, the streams of people (sensibly) pouring out to go to some friend's place in the country, on their way to family across the highways, or wherever... and (unsensibly) don't make it all the way/run out of gas/hotels full/etc...
]

A gas tank will get someone 220 - 300 miles.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

Because the roads will be wide open and not blocked at all...
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

And coupled with the fact freebooters will be killing other freebooter for their looted items…. Sure they won’t be giving each other a free pass!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol.  

The locals are aware of your bug out location and will get to it before you do.  Free gear and supplies.

I know the shopping locations in my area.
View Quote
Good to see some of the "apex predator" types and thieves are still outing themselves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are definitely coming. Friends and family are coming first. That’s the plan. That has always been the plan.

I doubt anyone with a farm or property is really thinking they are going at it alone.
View Quote

You would certainly hope not.

My greater worry is: can everybody planning to come here actually make it here?

The biggest thing besides having a place to go is knowing WHEN to go.

Better a day, week or month early than a day late.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

No, but 50 miles from a city isn’t far at all.  A healthy person can cover that on foot in 3 or 4 days.

If you are 50 miles from a city, people WILL be showing up if you are anywhere near a main road.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My situation is kind of unique in that I live in downtown Tijuana.  IF I had enough heads up, I have property in CA and AZ that are well stocked for just such an event.  If I get caught on this side of the border my plan is to bug in.  I'm only a few miles from the San Ysidro border crossing.  I would wait for whatever u rest is going down before I hightailed it for the border.  I'm cool with my immediate neighbors so I figure I could last awhile buggin in.  But trying to make my way back to the US in a hostile situation is probably not a good idea especially on foot.  I would imagine the border would be an absolute shit show.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, but 50 miles from a city isn’t far at all.  A healthy person can cover that on foot in 3 or 4 days.

If you are 50 miles from a city, people WILL be showing up if you are anywhere near a main road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

LOL, they better bring a lot of water.  And warm jackets.  And then they'd hit about three other towns first, which would thin the herd quite a bit because everyone has guns and in that scenario, would be not at all hesitant to use them.  But keep going.  It tickles my funny bone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My situation is kind of unique in that I live in downtown Tijuana.  IF I had enough heads up, I have property in CA and AZ that are well stocked for just such an event.  If I get caught on this side of the border my plan is to bug in.  I'm only a few miles from the San Ysidro border crossing.  I would wait for whatever u rest is going down before I hightailed it for the border.  I'm cool with my immediate neighbors so I figure I could last awhile buggin in.  But trying to make my way back to the US in a hostile situation is probably not a good idea especially on foot.  I would imagine the border would be an absolute shit show.
View Quote

Are you Anglo?  Because if you are, Tijuana wouldn't be my first choice for a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good to see some of the "apex predator" types and thieves are still outing themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  

The locals are aware of your bug out location and will get to it before you do.  Free gear and supplies.

I know the shopping locations in my area.

He probably had his wife birth their child in a barn.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you Anglo?  Because if you are, Tijuana wouldn't be my first choice for a SHTF scenario.
View Quote
Si, I'm a gringo.  It would probably be ok for a couple of days but depending on how things go, it could get sketchy fast.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Si, I'm a gringo.  It would probably be ok for a couple of days but depending on how things go, it could get sketchy fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If things get really desperate, imagine how cheap the hookers will get.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For PERSEC say, all I will say is that I didn't grow in the burbs of Chicago, and I didn't spend most of my time in the hood.  I'm not trying to imply I grew up on a farm or anything like that, but I have spent some time in the sticks.   It would be like me assuming someone rural has never spent time in the city or the burbs.  You don't have to currently live in the city to know that the city would be a mess.  I don't have to be in the sticks to know that there are problems there as well.   I'm assuming you have friends and family in the city and burbs.  The reverse holds true.

And it does not matter who you are or where you live. Everyone has some fucked up relatives, and someone's ex-husband is always a shitbag (or some times it is the other way around, and it your blood that is the shitbag, and the ex is the better person), and there always a niece or nephew or step-cousin who runs with some shady-ass "friends" you don't trust.  Someone is always cheating on someone, and that causes friction.

That isn't to say the city or the burbs are better for SHTF.   Come end of the world, most everyone is probably screwed, but rural folks at least have a fighting chance, and I would rather be remote rural with a small network than anywhere else.    

What is quite ironic is the comment about "inventing problems", which seems to stem from a response to a self-created problem of making a roadblock during the fantasy problem of SHTF.

Hell, when we were out at a birthday tent party a few months ago, it was on the 13 acres family in-law has out in the sticks. We really wanted to buy the 7 acres next to them, but it got "sold" without actually going up for sale.  (The father died, and one brother sold the land without first consulting the other....that type of stuff). But it is OK because I'm now looking at rural land just over the border (outside of IL and its fucked up laws), just so I have 5 or so acres to shoot on.  
I add this because even if we would have gotten the 7 acres to go with their 13 acres (so we are sitting on 20 acres), I'm trying to imagine what good a roadblock would do, and how or why would we would man it 24/7.   I guess I could call "x" up and ask him if SHTF, would he man a roadblock 24/7, but I'm guessing he would think I was drunk or something.  

Of just internally, how many friends and family would head there if it were really that bad of an event.  That carries its own problems, but again I don't see people leaving home and heading there unless they were already near by and actually lost their own home.

I get any of the rural land I am eyeballing, what kind of confrontation would someone will have created by setting up a roadblock to stop me from getting to my own land (not that I would head there unless I was truly forced to leave home, and even then I would probably go to an unaffected part of the country if possible.)
View Quote

Not sure why you’re fixated on manned road blocks.  I can take a skid loader, dozer or track hoe and make an impassable road block by destroying the road and creating a ditch.

It’s about limiting vehicular traffic to your immediate area.  You don’t cut every road, just enough to make it difficult to navigate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
im not going anywhere! These fantasies are silly but I digress
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL, they better bring a lot of water.  And warm jackets.  And then they'd hit about three other towns first, which would thin the herd quite a bit because everyone has guns and in that scenario, would be not at all hesitant to use them.  But keep going.  It tickles my funny bone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

Ah, you are in Wyoming.  Never mind.  No major cities in Wyoming at all.  Actually, I think Frisco + Allen + Plano has more people in it than your whole state.

Never mind you live in Wyoming.  There no cities in Wyoming.  Much less large cities.  In fact, I think the 3 suburbs around me (Frisco, Plano, Allen) have more people than Wyoming does.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t you live near the reservation?   Have you seen Bone Tomahawk?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don’t you live near the reservation?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Not unless you consider 200 miles "near."
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If things get really desperate, imagine how cheap the hookers will get.
View Quote
If shit gets really bad I'm getting a couple of eight balls of coke and three girls and just go out in a blaze of pussy and blow  But yeah, the Venezuelan girls here are cheap as it is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Ah yeah, clean water (the kind most of us shit in everyday) is where the prepping fantasies fail. It’s hard to obtain, heavy and difficult to move, and requires infrastructure to store and filter properly. Algae and bacteria love it, and so does every insect, plant, and animal you can think of. Stray too far away….dead. Can’t filter….dead. Food and clothing become luxurious supplemental things to be acquired when not chiefly concerned with getting enough clean & fresh water to live through the day.

My pond. 15’ deep, aerated with a windmill. Zero mosquitoes, cleaner than any water nearby.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ah yeah, clean water (the kind most of us shit in everyday) is where the prepping fantasies fail. It’s hard to obtain, heavy and difficult to move, and requires infrastructure to store and filter properly.

View Quote

Or, you know...a well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or, you know...a well.
View Quote
I have a well, 200' of creek that runs on the property (that flows 365) and the North Platte River is less than 1/2 mile down the road, I think I have the water issue covered. Which if you think about it, it's kind of rare for Wyoming.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or, you know...a well.
View Quote

We’ll put one in if we can, think I’ll be able to run the pump with solar. Building a barn in ‘26 that will have rain catches to large tanks in the greenhouse. I also have room to add a cistern near the house if we’d like. Can’t have too much.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Obviously drinking from a stagnant creek isn’t a wise move. But in truth there is lots of water, at least in the east, that in a corner people will drink and likely be fine.

Our society has gotten very germaphobic. But we used to drink out of creeks and certainly swim in rivers and lakes all the time. Yea…every once in a while someone gets a brain eating amoeba but if we are being honest it is exceptionally rare. And yes, I realize there is more run off and etc. than prior to the Industrial Revolution. But regardless people will drink dirty water and they will survive. Most of them at least.

I will not be drinking dirty water however.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We’ll put one in if we can, think I’ll be able to run the pump with solar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know...a well.

We’ll put one in if we can, think I’ll be able to run the pump with solar.

Always good to have a backup hand pump, too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

C'mon man! The hungry hordes can walk that in no time!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

C'mon man! The hungry hordes can walk that in no time!
View Quote
I travel for work so I get to see people all over the Western US. A large percentage of the population gets gassed walking up a single flight of stairs. It'll be a pretty small horde that makes it all the way out to my place.

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Personally I'm bugging out to the mountains to assemble my squad then returning to recon the cities before assembling freedom fighters in week planning blocks. I'm trained to do it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet that "shopping location" aka location of stated intent to commit theft is somewhere the land owner was mean while booting his ass for trespassing
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not sure why you’re fixated on manned road blocks.  I can take a skid loader, dozer or track hoe and make an impassable road block by destroying the road and creating a ditch.

It’s about limiting vehicular traffic to your immediate area.  You don’t cut every road, just enough to make it difficult to navigate.
View Quote

It was one of the initial comments, and a catalyst for how far fetched the scenarios are.

The whole thing is comical.  Unless you can control a bridge or some type of canyon chokepoint, it is just mental masturbation, and even then, it becomes "why"?

Think it through.
"IF" there is an event so horrifically drastic in a city that it has forced thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people to give up everything the know and flee their homes, just to head somewhere else...anywhere else....do you think roadblock is going to stop them?  Why are you even slowing them down?

The bigger question would be...what is causing them to flee, and do YOU have to worry about it?  
Most people bug-in so what would this event be?  

Let me ask, what is this event that causes people to leave the city and go live out in the hills (instead going to a safer part of the country), but does not impact rural areas?   I can only see something like a biological that starts in multiple cities.  This is end of the world stuff where 75% of the population dies off.  I can see manning a roadblock at that point, but that would really be about keeping out an infectious contagion and people are heading to the hills and rural areas to get away from other people that could be sick.

Reality:
Bugging out from a city or the burbs means going to a hotel or a friend's place or family member's place a few hundred miles away (or however far they need to go) until whatever event caused them to leave blows over.  Maybe it means heading to an RV park for a week or two.  For some, it is a FEMA camp.
This is a temporary arrangement.
No one's first option or second option is to head to the hills and try to live off the land.  

I think a more realistic scenarios for manned roadblocks are actually after some localized event where people had bugged in/stayed behind, and are putting up signs that say "Looters will be shot on sight".
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#33]
That guy is pretty cool. This video is entertaining like most of his SHTF stuff. Though most of it is common sense.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was one of the initial comments, and a catalyst for how far fetched the scenarios are.

The whole thing is comical. It is just mental masturbation, and even then, it becomes "why"?
View Quote

That’s why these doomer/prepper threads become so useless. They become a never ending escalation of increasingly unlikely and ridiculous scenarios.

These guys living hours from civilization are much more likely die from some medical condition or emergency before they can get to an advanced medical care center far sooner than they will get the chance to live out their fantasies of setting up roadblocks and mowing down the invading hordes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm dead smack in the middle of low income, first Gen immigrant-ville.  If SHTF that bad that people are running for the hills; Peruvian, Afghan, and Ethiopian flavored long pork will be on the menu.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That’s why these doomer/prepper threads become so useless. They become a never ending escalation of increasingly unlikely and ridiculous scenarios.

These guys living hours from civilization are much more likely die from some medical condition or emergency before they can get to an advanced medical care center far sooner than they will get the chance to live out their fantasies of setting up roadblocks and mowing down the invading hordes.
View Quote

You know so much about people that you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#37]
When I lived in Indiana my goal in a SHTF situation was to get home.
I lived about 20 miles outside of Indy and had a route planned for walking to avoid all of the roads to my house if driving was not an option.
My route mostly following the right of way of high voltage lines to avoid private property.
To do this carried a 3 day GHB in my vehicle that was about 30 pounds and had all weather gear and winter clothing, water filtration and shelter.
Once home I had everything I needed for a prolonged stay of over 1 year.
The only access road to my home was about a mile long gravel road off an asphalt country road.
This gravel road could easily be blocked from vehicle traffic by using a chainsaw and dropping any of the hundreds of large trees along its route.
Doing this meant any traffic would then have to be on foot and they would have to first deal with neighbors who lived closer to the country road before getting to my house.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#38]
If and I mean IF SHTF it really depends. I plan on being home or getting home in the event of an emergency. If a nuke goes off 30 miles away I might want to ride out the 30 day storm at home knowing anything that moves outside will die quickly. I live on the city limits and lots of people live around me, but a 10 minute drive will put you in rural areas quick with a huge State Park to the North. If Marshall Law is announced and roving gangs are breaking down my door to loot and kill us for our things I might pack up and leave for safety as we are too few in numbers and fire is a concern. I expect people to burn everyone out if you are not shot or shooting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When I lived in Indiana my goal in a SHTF situation was to get home.
I lived about 20 miles outside of Indy and had a route planned for walking to avoid all of the roads to my house if driving was not an option.
My route mostly following the right of way of high voltage lines to avoid private property.
To do this carried a 3 day GHB in my vehicle that was about 30 pounds and had all weather gear and winter clothing, water filtration and shelter.
Once home I had everything I needed for a prolonged stay of over 1 year.
The only access road to my home was about a mile long gravel road off an asphalt country road.
This gravel road could easily be blocked from vehicle traffic by using a chainsaw and dropping any of the hundreds of large trees along its route.
Doing this meant any traffic would then have to be on foot and they would have to first deal with neighbors who lived closer to the country road before getting to my house.
View Quote
That's my situation today.  The other advantages are that I and my neighbors have been meeting for about a year or so as part of a Community Support Team (CST).
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If and I mean IF SHTF it really depends. I plan on being home or getting home in the event of an emergency. If a nuke goes off 30 miles away I might want to ride out the 30 day storm at home knowing anything that moves outside will die quickly. I live on the city limits and lots of people live around me, but a 10 minute drive will put you in rural areas quick with a huge State Park to the North. If Marshall Law is announced and roving gangs are breaking down my door to loot and kill us for our things I might pack up and leave for safety as we are too few in numbers and fire is a concern. I expect people to burn everyone out if you are not shot or shooting.
View Quote

1. Are there any targets in NH worth a nuke?
2. Marshall Law sounds like a good name for a neo-western, but what you're looking for is MARTIAL law.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Better off reading Selco. He lived through it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1. Are there any targets in NH worth a nuke?
2. Marshall Law sounds like a good name for a neo-western, but what you're looking for is MARTIAL law.
View Quote

He asked IF SHTF do you bug out. Truth in that event I'm probably dead anyways by shear number of lunatics going crazy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#43]
A few posters mentioned that they live (or lived) 20 miles away from the city and there was a single road that could be blocked by a tree.   There is nothing wrong with that, but I would ask, what is the scenario in which you would drop a tree to block the road to vehicle traffic?  Doesn't that block out any medical or law enforcement vehicles?  Or what about people who lived there and are trying to get home?  Doesn't that also block you in?  

As for a nuclear bomb (which certainly qualifies as shit that has hit the fan), if you are 20 to 30 miles away from a nuke-u-lar blast, roving gangs will be the last thing on your mind.  Hope you are not downwind.

A nuclear bomb going off in a major city will have draw in the US military, the FBI, LEO's from everywhere and the Natty Guard.  The entire area will be LOCKED DOWN.    

I'll also go ahead and say it.  A nuclear bomb going off in the center of a city might reduce the number of gangs roaming around.  

If it is multiple cities hit by canned sunshine, and that turns into an all out nuclear exchange, well....it might have been better to be at ground zero.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Years ago I read some book about a guy trying to kill someone in the desert that gave me a new appreciation for survival in that environment.

But then I read several novels including Lights Out and said hey, let's game that where I live.

And the truth of the matter is it's going to suck wherever you are.  Bugging out has a lot of hazards associated with it.  The assumption that it will be better somewhere else is usually false.

Gaming that out in my neighborhood and talking with local emergency planners (and being a part of that where I worked for a while) gave me a new sense of what might/could/should happen depending on the cirucmstance.

There is not "good" answer for most people.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Or, you know...a well.
View Quote

We've got a creek that runs 9 months of the year through the corner of the property, and a 150' well.  We also have an 18kw solar system, but sadly its

A:  grid tied
and
B:  on a different meter than the well pump.  

I'm working on both.

Other than that we're near a city, but remote and in a poorly known about area of a mountain.  The only people walking out this way are those who feel like hiking over the coast range to hit the beach, and even then they'll have to go miles out of the way through "shoot-a-motha-fucka" woods.

Fruit trees, bordering great hunting land, lots of chickens and ducks, bee hives.  Got a lot going on here, but need to work on the solar system, water storage, and food preservation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A few posters mentioned that they live (or lived) 20 miles away from the city and there was a single road that could be blocked by a tree.   There is nothing wrong with that, but I would ask, what is the scenario in which you would drop a tree to block the road to vehicle traffic?  Doesn't that block out any medical or law enforcement vehicles?  Or what about people who lived there and are trying to get home?  Doesn't that also block you in?  

As for a nuclear bomb (which certainly qualifies as shit that has hit the fan), if you are 20 to 30 miles away from a nuke-u-lar blast, roving gangs will be the last thing on your mind.  Hope you are not downwind.

A nuclear bomb going off in a major city will have draw in the US military, the FBI, LEO's from everywhere and the Natty Guard.  The entire area will be LOCKED DOWN.    

I'll also go ahead and say it.  A nuclear bomb going off in the center of a city might reduce the number of gangs roaming around.  

If it is multiple cities hit by canned sunshine, and that turns into an all out nuclear exchange, well....it might have been better to be at ground zero.  

View Quote
People out here have the ability to move heavy logs and trees:

I'm not saying it's the end-all be-all, but it's a crap-ton better than being in in a city or even suburbia.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I am staying put unless I have no choice but to leave. if I leave I am loading up my motorhome and moving to a relatives place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem a bit overly emotionally invested in this. That wasn’t even directed at anyone in particular. It was just a broad generalization based on experience and observation.

But I mean yeah, I don’t know a whole lot about you beyond you being a suburban guy from Florida who recently moved to Wyoming, you write and like to take photographs at Yellowstone. And are apparently now country boy extraordinaire.

I have also been around Wyoming a time or two. I don’t know if your particular community is a mini Jackson Hole full of ex-pat Florida men working their hobby farms or something where everyone is flush with resources, but try getting around to some other communities. Wheatland, Kemmerer, Guernsey, Pinedale, Gillette, etc. I assure you that there are a lot of people living at a more or less paycheck to paycheck existence without large stores of food. While you’re at it, you might also gauge how some of those same native Wyomingites feel about being priced out of their communities.

The comment about medical facilities is reality for an acquaintance who has to drive more than an hour to Cheyenne for chemo treatments. Well, when I-25 isn’t closed in the winter. But have fun getting older without any medical concerns or emergencies, I suppose. I guess Jackson Hole is only an hour and a half away when the weather is good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You seem a bit overly emotionally invested in this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You seem a bit overly emotionally invested in this.

No, that's just you making assumptions about people you don't know.  Again.  I find it amusing watching people who rightly, probably, think that things are gonna be rough near the city trying to say "well, that's okay, I'm just as well off as anyone in a rural area because they might have problems, too."  Whether you believe that doesn't affect me, but its repetition among several posters here is genuinely funny.

But I mean yeah, I don’t know a whole lot about you beyond you being a suburban guy from Florida who recently moved to Wyoming, you write and like to take photographs at Yellowstone. And are apparently now country boy extraordinaire.

I have also been around Wyoming a time or two. I don’t know if your particular community is a mini Jackson Hole full of ex-pat Florida men or something where everyone is flush with resources, but try getting around to some other communities. Wheatland, Kemmerer, Guernsey, Pinedale, Gillette, etc. I assure you that there are a lot of people living at a more or less paycheck to paycheck existence without large stores of food. While you’re at it, you might also gauge how some of those people feel about being priced out of their communities.

The comment about medical facilities is reality for an acquaintance who has to drive more than an hour to Cheyenne for chemo treatments. Well, when I-25 isn’t closed in the winter. But have fun getting older without any medical concerns or emergencies, I suppose. I guess Jackson Hole is only an hour and a half away when the weather is good.

There you go.  You don't know where I live, but you're sure ready to tell me all about it.

I'll tell you, so you can stop throwing darts at the board.
I live in a county of 30,000 people, ten miles outside a town of about 6,000.  The nearest "city" is 35 miles away and has 10,000 people.  Beyond that, the nearest actual city of 100,000 is 90 miles away across the mountains in Montana.  There are no interstates connecting my area to anywhere.  There's not one but TWO hospitals within driving distance, one in my town, one in that town of 10,000.  And if it was critical, I suppose they'd fly me or drive me the 90 miles to Billings.  
In a SHTF scenario, I'm not especially worried about the horde of zombies from Billings making the rough trip down to me when there's a hell of a lot of farmland and ranches a lot closer to them.  
This town has a good police force and the county has a sheriff's dept and though there are a few shitbags in the city limits of the town, there are not enough of them for me to worry about them.  Particularly when the next house down is owned by a LT in the police force.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
* * * Everyone will lose weight and be in much better shape. Don't worry about your health.
View Quote

The die-off in the first 6-months from lack of medicine or immediate medical attention for the elderly, the infirm, the insulin-dependent, cripples, sick children, cancer patients, and a rapidly growing amount of gunshot wound victims, et al, will actually benefit survivors over time who are dug in and hid.

Eventually, when the smoke clears, they’ll enjoy twice the resources and there’ll be many less mouths to feed and folks needing medicines. The dead and the nearly dead aren’t needful in that way.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top