User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty fucking quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKIGT7EgSA

Remember that F-15 that had the nose fall of in flight a few years back?

Pretty fucking quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For you and anyone else who knows about this stuff, as I do not:  When you say structural failure, how quickly does that happen?  Is it something that should/could have been caught in maintenance?  Or is it a sudden failure?  I'm trying to wrap my head around how something like that happens.  Seems like it would take a whole lot of "failure" very quickly without some other factor(s)?

TIA from an aircraft dummy.
Pretty fucking quick.

Pretty fucking quick.
That was a CIA bird that was sold under the condition that the maintenance records were still classified, and wouldn't be released to the buyer.

The person that told me that is a former Marine who's father flew that very same C-130.  He was a L/Cpl in my platoon when he told us the story of the history of that Herc.  He went on to Mike Golf school and was the Master Gunner for my former tank company when they deployed to Iraq for OIF.  He left my beloved Corps as a SSgt w/ a Purple Heart to join the Guard and become an aviator like his dad.

He's a qualified AH-64D pilot, and now flies UH-60 Blackhawks as a CW3.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Regarding the wings falling off.  I highly doubt the reason behind the one in the video would happen in the military.  Their maintenance people basically repaired it with nuts, bolts, and bailing twine they bought at Ace hardware instead of aircraft grade stuff.
View Quote
No, fail.
It was a Military aircraft that had "a lot" of unaccounted for flight hours when it was flying (illegally) with the CIA.
It was also a C-130A, it was built out of a different grade of aluminum than the subsequent C-130's.

It never had an upgraded wingbox installed and it had never had any serious rework done since it had been "traded" to the USFS / Private Contractors.

Finally, it was "Wing Fatigue" that did it in.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/sep/25/local/me-walker25

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/952879/2-firefighting-plane-types-are-grounded.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
... excessive cycles on most all fuselages typically never mean anything good when bouncing on the edge of a structure's end-run lifecycle
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought I recollected that bird was on loan from the CANG???
View Quote
No.
It had been a USAF bird that was "bailed" to the CIA - Think "Air America".
It (along with other C-130's) were "traded" for vintage aircraft and money.

It involved the USAF, CIA, USFS and the Naval Museum.

http://www.vaq34.com/oldtacamo/stealing.htm
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That was a CIA bird that was sold under the condition that the maintenance records were still classified, and wouldn't be released to the buyer.
View Quote
It wasn't sold.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pax may not wear them, but flying aircrew do 100% of the time...

Also, from the video, it looks like everything from 245 forward is gone...
View Quote
No, they don't. Navigators especially.

I've been on especially long legs and walked into the cockpit to look at the idcu and see how much further we have to go and everyone up there was asleep.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The USFS, the USAF and the FAA played fuck-fuck for a couple years over this crash.

The USFS wanted control over the aircraft, the USAF was (and still is) the lead agency for C-130's and they said no, the FAA wanted to bring all fire fighting planes under their purview, the USAF said no.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't sold.

Interesting.  I'll have to hit the CW3 up again on the subject when I get back to work and talk to him again in person.

ETA:  I haven't seen them this year *yet*, but I often observe a two engined, WWII-era A-26 or B-26 fly over my hooch on it's way north to fight fires.  That thing just lumbers along low and slow, and I have to wonder how they survived missions when people actually shot at them....
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If true, that's a hell of an unusual failure mode for a C-130.  Could have been a catastrophic gearbox/prop failure, but there are a dozen safety features designed to prevent that from happening.
View Quote
What if a load came loose in flight and slammed forward into the 245.

I've seen and slept on some ISU90's that weighed enough that if they started rolling from the wing box forward it would be a genuinely catastrophic impact. Potentially damaging the fuselage enough that the entire nose from the hellhole forward could break off.

The one we brought to and from the deid in January and May was totally full and we had the engine change kit right behind it. I think I remember it weighing an absurdly high amount like 7000 pounds or some shit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
doubletap
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Regarding the wings falling off.  I highly doubt the reason behind the one in the video would happen in the military.  Their maintenance people basically repaired it with nuts, bolts, and bailing twine they bought at Ace hardware instead of aircraft grade stuff.
View Quote
That fire fighting tanker had an onboard fire that the crew was dealing with before the main spar/wing structure gave way.

ETA, at least that is what I read about it.
Thanks KA3B for more input on that crash.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For you and anyone else who knows about this stuff, as I do not:  When you say structural failure, how quickly does that happen?  Is it something that should/could have been caught in maintenance?  Or is it a sudden failure?  I'm trying to wrap my head around how something like that happens.  Seems like it would take a whole lot of "failure" very quickly without some other factor(s)?

TIA from an aircraft dummy.
View Quote
In a simple answer: It depends.

We find cracks all the time and fix them. Aircraft with LAIRCM invariably have cracks forming around the pods. Every unit has an NDI team specifically there to find and address cracks, and sometimes they find them in the weirdest places. Many times one guy will find a crack and then notify higher to get the word out, and like twenty other squadrons find cracks in important areas too, and we ground everyone until they inspect the hell out of everything.

One example of this was the firefighting 130 that went down in Colorado (I think) where the wings decided they wanted to go on their own path without the rest of the aircraft. Everyone started inspecting their aircraft and holy shitty balls of crack damned near every unit found cracks around the wing box. Some units lost all their aircraft in one shot. It was serious shit. I think my unit had one and it was a pretty significant crack.

So while we all try our hardest to go through our aircraft every ISO with a fine tooth comb and get the flyers the best possible product, we are only human and can't get to everywhere. This might have been a crack in the fuselage. There was a TAR to go through every engine a while back and inspect for a screw that was fucked up in the prop that could have dire consequences if not addressed. Dire as in it could throw a blade. Perhaps the Marines missed that one and it didn't get fixed. Shit like that happens. I thought there was another mandated fix regarding the locks a while back too.

It could seriously be anything. We will absolutely find out, especially those of us in the 130 community, and you can bet there will be a lessons learned and a how can we not ever have this happen again.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've done lots of phase inspections on KC-130T's, and sadly a bunch on this exact BUNO.

Everything following this is just more supposition:
IF the failure was stringers, ribs, longerons, etc at the 245 bulkhead, it started below the cargo deck, due to human urine. Some birds have piss cans, one of which was against 245 right at the CED. I dont remember if 000 did, but probably since most of ours did. Urine is extremely corrosive, or rather speeds up corrosion due to all the salts in it. That is not an area that is checked at I or O level. In fact, only one section of floor can be removed at a time due to it being structural. I can only assume it's a depot level check. I inspect aircraft in build process, so I'm no stranger to how planes are built. I don't see this being a structural issue at 245.  Maybe the LOX tank (under flight station in nose gear compartment) blew?? There just isnt anything else in that area that could pop. No hyd pumps, accumulators, etc.  If it started at 245, it was not an unaided structural failure
The preceeding was entirely my educated ramblings.
View Quote
On h3's the toilet is in the back just aft of the copilot side troop door.

I've never seen it anywhere else.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've seen and slept on some ISU90's that weighed enough that if they started rolling from the wing box forward it would be a genuinely catastrophic impact. Potentially damaging the fuselage enough that the entire nose from the hellhole forward could break off.

The one we brought to and from the deid in January and May was totally full and we had the engine change kit right behind it. I think I remember it weighing an absurdly high amount like 7000 pounds or some shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If true, that's a hell of an unusual failure mode for a C-130.  Could have been a catastrophic gearbox/prop failure, but there are a dozen safety features designed to prevent that from happening.

The standard USMC tie down ratings are for 9G's forward, 2G's rearward. If the aircraft were in straight and level flight at FL220, it would take a pretty massive event to exceed that 9G rating.

m
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Very sad. I haven't followed the story so I don't know if they know what happened yet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The standard USMC tie down ratings are for 9G's forward, 2G's rearward. If the aircraft were in straight and level flight at FL220, it would take a pretty massive event to exceed that 9G rating.

m
View Quote
Not if that cargo lock failed or wasn't fully engaged. Shifting loads bring down planes all the time. Remember that one in Afghanistan where I think it was a 747 had a load shift aft and bring the plane down?

I swear I remember a TCTO that came out a year or two ago about the locking rod being made from the wrong stuff and was failing, so they replaced every single one of them on all our aircraft. Something regarding the locks was fucked up. Chairborne might have better recollection considering he is what he is.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, fail.
It was a Military aircraft that had "a lot" of unaccounted for flight hours when it was flying (illegally) with the CIA.
It was also a C-130A, it was built out of a different grade of aluminum than the subsequent C-130's.

It never had an upgraded wingbox installed and it had never had any serious rework done since it had been "traded" to the USFS / Private Contractors.

Finally, it was "Wing Fatigue" that did it in.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/sep/25/local/me-walker25

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/952879/2-firefighting-plane-types-are-grounded.html
View Quote
Tanker 123.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not if that cargo lock failed or wasn't fully engaged. Shifting loads bring down planes all the time. Remember that one in Afghanistan where I think it was a 747 had a load shift aft and bring the plane down?

I swear I remember a TCTO that came out a year or two ago about the locking rod being made from the wrong stuff and was failing, so they replaced every single one of them on all our aircraft. Something regarding the locks was fucked up. Chairborne might have better recollection considering he is what he is.
View Quote
To be honest, most of the cargo I hauled was on F models with a metric assload of chains. There was no way any of my loads were going to shift. It was more work, and took longer, but my load was not going to shift. Yes, I suppose it's possible, but I think it's unlikely a load shift caused a USMC KC-130T to crash.

I may be proven wrong...

m
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It has happened before. There's a vertical line on the fuselage that indicates where the plane of the prop blades is. In the photo I saw, the #2 prop threw a blade through the fuselage, and it entered exactly on that line. Fortunately, it happened on the ground and nobody was in the way.

Edit:

Here you go. I don't remember it being an Arab Herc and it's #3, but it shows you where the prop blade hits, and you can see it's right on the line. If this happened in flight...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180826/thrown-blade-251582.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance a rotor or blade flew off?
It has happened before. There's a vertical line on the fuselage that indicates where the plane of the prop blades is. In the photo I saw, the #2 prop threw a blade through the fuselage, and it entered exactly on that line. Fortunately, it happened on the ground and nobody was in the way.

Edit:

Here you go. I don't remember it being an Arab Herc and it's #3, but it shows you where the prop blade hits, and you can see it's right on the line. If this happened in flight...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180826/thrown-blade-251582.jpg
I never noticed that line before, but looking again it seems to be on most C-130s. Is there a rule to stay forward of the line when the engines are running on the ground or such?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I'll have to hit the CW3 up again on the subject when I get back to work and talk to him again in person.

ETA:  I haven't seen them this year *yet*, but I often observe a two engined, WWII-era A-26 or B-26 fly over my hooch on it's way north to fight fires.  That thing just lumbers along low and slow, and I have to wonder how they survived missions when people actually shot at them....
View Quote
I thought the A-26s had pretty much been retired from fire duty. It's cool to see some of the equipment that goes in and out of NIFC.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Old news coverage of the Walker Fire Air Tanker crash.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Txl
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Prayers and thoughts are with those of you who may have lost friends and colleagues, and prayers to the families and friends of our Marines.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very sad. I haven't followed the story so I don't know if they know what happened yet.
View Quote
Nobody else does at this point .

When I first saw this I thought about the "Whirl mode" failures that the Lockheed "Electra"
Airliners experienced in the late 50's and early 60's (Wings coming off resulting in the death
of everyone aboard).

This isn't the same thing at all (The wings were still attached) but damn.  Godspeed to all
involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoZ_5M6Gck
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty fucking quick.

Pretty fucking quick.
View Quote
A lot of people in Northern California were very upset when that C-130 went down in 2002, myself included. That was a C-130A retired from the USAF in 1986, picked up by the U.S. Forest Service in 1988, they flipped it 3 months later to Hemet Valley Flying Service, and they sold it to Hawkins & Powers, which was the final owner. It had 21,863 hours when it went down.

2002 was a bad year for Hawkins & Powers. They lost a PB4Y-2 Privateer one month later to a similar problem, loss of a wing during flight at the end of a long day making several drops of fire retardant. This aircraft had 8,346 hours.

Both aircraft were found to have extensive stress fractures near the root of the wings, for lack of the proper technical term.

Wiki details here

A sad day for the USMC and families. They have my prayers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On h3's the toilet is in the back just aft of the copilot side troop door.

I've never seen it anywhere else.
View Quote
Not the crapper with curtain, stand up stainless steel pissers.  Had to be removed to empty. Not even drain out the bottom like some in the aft did.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#27]
As a Plank owner of VMGR 452 and  as a retired Loadmaster,  with 452 being the unit I retired from,  this tragedy hits home, like when the Raider ship crashed in the Stan. The community is so small that it truly tragic situation.  God Speed to all The families involved in this loss. Semper Fidelis!

I am surprised at the large number of VMGR folks on ARF.  

Mongo checking in...
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#28]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<Edited>
View Quote
Lead paint chips are not snacks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Neither this site nor this thread are places for that retarded truther bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#31]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#32]
RIP
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#33]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#34]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<Edited>
View Quote
I don't know if you are joking or not but I can assure you that there is plenty of aircraft debris at the Pentagon. I saw it first hand.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know if you are joking or not but I can assure you that there is plenty of aircraft debris at the Pentagon. I saw it first hand.

https://www.metabunk.org/attachments/outsidedebris-jpg.1344/
View Quote

Yes and I can have you speak with my sister about United 93 because she was part of the anthropological group that worked with the FBI recovering evidence.  There were indeed large pieces left but when you nose dive a plane into the dirt at 500 MPH physics tends to take over and things get smashed/crushed very quickly in ways you can't begin to imagine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#37]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#38]
<Edited>
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes and I can have you speak with my sister about United 93 because she was part of the anthropological group that worked with the FBI recovering evidence.  There were indeed large pieces left but when you nose dive a plane into the dirt at 500 MPH physics tends to take over and things get smashed/crushed very quickly in ways you can't begin to imagine.
View Quote
A 737 augered in on approach to Colorado Springs.   I saw the smoke from many miles away.  Look for pictures from that terrible event.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted: <snip to remove ignorant shit>
View Quote
Flori-DUHH!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#41]
The load and the FE names.

GySgt. Brendan Johnson - Loadmaster

SSgt. Joshua Snowden - Flight Engineer

A/C was BUNO 165000.

Links:

http://www.wcax.com/story/35860276/marine-from-vermont-killed-in-military-plane-crash

http://www.fox4news.com/news/267268631-story

These are NOT official released names from the US Marines.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A/C was 000.
View Quote

USMC VMGR-234
NAWC
VMGR-452

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Marine Sgt. Julian Kevianne, 31, who was stationed at Stewart, was identified as one of victims.
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/07/11/stewart-based-military-squadron-killed-crash-mississippi/468677001/
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Names of those killed in the crash are expected to be released late this afternoon.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Officials-Marine-plane-crashes-killing-at-least-5-aboard-433722293.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Names of those killed in the crash are expected to be released late this afternoon.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Officials-Marine-plane-crashes-killing-at-least-5-aboard-433722293.html
View Quote
Maybe the OP can post them in OP.

RIP, Marines.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Marine Sgt. Julian Kevianne, 31, who was stationed at Stewart, was identified as one of victims.
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/07/11/stewart-based-military-squadron-killed-crash-mississippi/468677001/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Dan Baldassare (pictured), aged 20. He was originally from Colts Neck, New Jersey and his friends describe him as a 'patriot'

Sgt. Julian Kevianne (pictured), a Detroit, Michigan native, died in the crash Monday. He joined the Marines in 2009 because he wanted to protect and defend the country, his brother Carlo Kevianne said

Staff Sgt. Joshua Snowden (pictured) originally grew up Dallas, Texas, his family said. The 31-year-old worked as a flight engineer on the KC-130 that crashed and was preparing to celebrate his 32 birthday on July 22

Gunnery Sgt. Brendan Johnson (pictured) joined the Marines shortly after graduating from Johnson State College, his father, Kevin Johnson said

First 4 Id'ed the NC based guys will be Released later this after noon

Updated
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

<Edited>.
View Quote
Lol, who was responsible for 9/11? What hit the towers and the Pentagon if it was not multiple fully fueled passenger planes?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#50]
165000Lockheed KC-130T Hercules
165000 (MSN 382-5303) damaged in storm at Fort Worth NAS JRB, TX Jun 1, 2004.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top