Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be a while before it is known what caused this.  

The T's have a CSFIR (black box) that records flight data.  There's also voice recording on a 30min loop IIRC.

I don't know what would have caused the cockpit to separate at the 245 but I would suspect that if that did happen, it would have been from massive yaw.  This would also explain parts of the aircraft departing in flight in a violent flat spin.  IIRC, years back an AC-130 had a 105mm round go off in the fuselage and the plane stayed pretty much intact after ditching too so who knows.  I wouldn't want to speculate.

I have hauled a lot of weapons, explosives, hazmat, you name it over the years.  Any number of things may have happened.  Theses planes were a bulk purchase by the DoN for the USN and USMC back in the early 90's.  They are old.  Lots of hours on the airframes.  We have over 20k hours on most of ours.  The USMC is slowly replacing all of theirs with J's I think.  We have "plans" to get J's sometime down the line but I would guess that the USN gives up the Herc mission altogether once these planes are worn out.  

I would imagine if this was a structural failure that this could start a quick retirement for the entire fleet of them DoN wide.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The T's have a CSFIR (black box) that records flight data.  There's also voice recording on a 30min loop IIRC.

I don't know what would have caused the cockpit to separate at the 245 but I would suspect that if that did happen, it would have been from massive yaw.  This would also explain parts of the aircraft departing in flight in a violent flat spin.  IIRC, years back an AC-130 had a 105mm round go off in the fuselage and the plane stayed pretty much intact after ditching too so who knows.  I wouldn't want to speculate.

I have hauled a lot of weapons, explosives, hazmat, you name it over the years.  Any number of things may have happened.  Theses planes were a bulk purchase by the DoN for the USN and USMC back in the early 90's.  They are old.  Lots of hours on the airframes.  We have over 20k hours on most of ours.  The USMC is slowly replacing all of theirs with J's I think.  We have "plans" to get J's sometime down the line but I would guess that the USN gives up the Herc mission altogether once these planes are worn out.  

I would imagine if this was a structural failure that this could start a quick retirement for the entire fleet of them DoN wide.      
View Quote
Gearbox failure sending a prop/prop hub combo through the aircraft and contacting ordnance on the floor inside causing a fuselage separation?  

There have been a few props blasting through C130's in their history,  But I cannot recall them causing structural failure on the scale of separating the fuselage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our lowest time H has more than 22K hours on it.  Some are approaching 30K, like our Es had when we retired them. That's why we have brand new Js, and are giving our Hs to the Guard.  They fly about 10% of the hours a year that we do so they can milk another two decades out of them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If true, that's a hell of an unusual failure mode for a C-130.  Could have been a catastrophic gearbox/prop failure, but there are a dozen safety features designed to prevent that from happening.
View Quote
Witness said he heard a loud BOOM then looked up and saw it on fire then corkscrewing into the ground.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When that was the case, we often, if not all the time, strapped in. I can't speak for other squadrons' aircraft, but we had small seats bolted to the troop doors, as well as seat belt hard points. We strapped in, because if they're gonna have to maneuver, we didn't want to get tossed around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most active duty 130's had a red line painted in the inside, showing the arc of the props. I never  sat near that line. You never know... Those props would go through the plane like it was butter.

Edit: Not applicable here but the load master is often one of the lookouts for AA fire/rocket trails over a combat zone, so rarely belted in.
When that was the case, we often, if not all the time, strapped in. I can't speak for other squadrons' aircraft, but we had small seats bolted to the troop doors, as well as seat belt hard points. We strapped in, because if they're gonna have to maneuver, we didn't want to get tossed around.
Same here. We made sling seats that would attach to the litter strap mounts on the ceiling, and hook to two points on the seat mounts so we wouldn't get tossed around while scanning.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That reporter in the OP link wasn't very subtle, "We are being kept 5 miles from the crashed plane due to airplane parts being strewn all over, and body parts."
View Quote
Couldn't tell for sure at first, but my buddy confirmed  the crash site is about 2 miles from where we duck and deer hunt every year.  A casual acquaintance of mine owns the farm where it impacted.  None of the locals are getting near anything there right now.  He said the whole area is locked down tight. 

Walking those woods and fields wont ever be the same.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If near Moorhead, MS there is a TFR in place.

Source

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/tiles/reg/scale7/tile_41_44.jpg
View Quote
it is
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
For you and anyone else who knows about this stuff, as I do not:  When you say structural failure, how quickly does that happen?  Is it something that should/could have been caught in maintenance?  Or is it a sudden failure?  I'm trying to wrap my head around how something like that happens.  Seems like it would take a whole lot of "failure" very quickly without some other factor(s)?

TIA from an aircraft dummy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not a J model.
The Marine reserves out of New York fly KC-130T's.
The official Marine news release states it was a KC-130T.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this is actually a J model  
It's not a J model.
The Marine reserves out of New York fly KC-130T's.
The official Marine news release states it was a KC-130T.  
News I was hearing at the time I posted was still saying J model.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers for the 16 servicemen and their families. This is too close to home, my youngest son flew 130s for four years, including three deployments. He is still an Air Force pilot.

In 1982 a 130 from Little Rock went down near Judsonia, Arkansas. Parts of it fell on my uncle's farm, most of it fell on the property just south of his. This happened just after dark and my aunt and uncle were sitting on their porch and watching 130s going, back towards Little Rock, one after another.

According to my uncle, one of them "blew up" with a massive fireball. Much like this one in Mississippi, there were parts and bodies strewn over a large area. I went over the next morning, my cousin and I found some aircraft parts.

The official USAF cause of the accident was failure of the wing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For you and anyone else who knows about this stuff, as I do not:  When you say structural failure, how quickly does that happen?  Is it something that should/could have been caught in maintenance?  Or is it a sudden failure?  I'm trying to wrap my head around how something like that happens.  Seems like it would take a whole lot of "failure" very quickly without some other factor(s)?

View Quote
Until we know more about what, where, and how "who knows?".
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gearbox failure sending a prop/prop hub combo through the aircraft and contacting ordnance on the floor inside causing a fuselage separation?  

There have been a few props blasting through C130's in their history,  But I cannot recall them causing structural failure on the scale of separating the fuselage.  
View Quote
The idea of a prop playing buzz saw hitting and setting off ordnance isn't something I had thought of.  It certainly bears a close look by investigators.

My thoughts were more along the lines of a pressurized C-130 airframe and the pressure differential increasing the damage caused by a prop going buzz saw.  I wonder would it be enough to cause the nose structure to separate from the rest of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didn't intend the detour either. But, which window were you in? Our doors were closed, as well. We'd typically sit sideways, facing aft, with the seatbelts on that jump seat secured loose. Wasn't very comfortable, but gave the best view out the door, facing down and aft.

*These were AF H-3 models.
View Quote
Honestly don't remember exactly, this was fairly early OEF. Somewhere near the wing box, facing relatively aft. Example: On comm, talking with crew and making fun of the very poor English from the various towers- "Hey, can you go help the load master  look out the window, reports of AA in this area." Load would pick a side and I got the other. I was only ever a strap hanger and rarely at that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely tragic. Rest in peace brothers.

Semper Fi.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a huge question and I am by no means the definitive authority on any of this.  I fly them and work on them sometimes..

A catastrophic structural failure can be witnessed as the doomed firefighting bird that lost her wings dumping fire foam on a wild fire, both wigs snapped off..  But it could also be something smaller as a failed pressure bulkhead or ruptured fuel tank.  I would say that the chances that the plane just came apart mid air while the crew was fat. dumb and happy headed to El Centro are very slim.  Again, I would guess, that in most cases, there would have been other in-flight issues that would preempt the mishap.  I don't know and won't speculate.

As far as maintenance finding problems before this, that is another huge question.  We inspect on hourly and calendar intervals.  The longer the interval, usually, the more invasive and in depth the inspection but still, there are places that just don't get looked at.  And, with any aircraft things just happen.  One day she's flying like the day she came off the line and the next, you can't even get two hours worth of engine turns done without ten hours of maintenance.

Everything has a limit.  Your heart has a certain number of beats that it will stop at.  We have a general idea that it will go for 75ish years but we also know that depends on a lot of things and it can go longer or much sooner.  Same with aircraft..
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Theses planes were a bulk purchase by the DoN for the USN and USMC back in the early 90's.  They are old.  Lots of hours on the airframes.  We have over 20k hours on most of ours.  The USMC is slowly replacing all of theirs with J's I think.  We have "plans" to get J's sometime down the line but I would guess that the USN gives up the Herc mission altogether once these planes are worn out.  

View Quote
Old? LOL!
The C-130F's were old!

Again, I doubt that the USAF is going to get rid of all of their C-130H's because of this accident.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty fucking quick.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKIGT7EgSA[/youtube]

Remember that F-15 that had the nose fall of in flight a few years back?

Pretty fucking quick.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:But it could also be something smaller as a failed pressure bulkhead or ruptured fuel tank.
View Quote
It was a tanker, they did have that stupid fuse tank installed.

We had one in a LC-130F that had the fuse tank plumbing in it, it caught fire and "blew up" in flight after it had been reworked by Cherry Point.
This was in VXE-6 in 1992.
We sent that fuse tank and the rest to the boneyard and never saw them again.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a huge question and I am by no means the definitive authority on any of this.  I fly them and work on them sometimes..

A catastrophic structural failure can be witnessed as the doomed firefighting bird that lost her wings dumping fire foam on a wild fire, both wigs snapped off..  But it could also be something smaller as a failed pressure bulkhead or ruptured fuel tank.  I would say that the chances that the plane just came apart mid air while the crew was fat. dumb and happy headed to El Centro are very slim.  Again, I would guess, that in most cases, there would have been other in-flight issues that would preempt the mishap.  I don't know and won't speculate.

As far as maintenance finding problems before this, that is another huge question.  We inspect on hourly and calendar intervals.  The longer the interval, usually, the more invasive and in depth the inspection but still, there are places that just don't get looked at.  And, with any aircraft things just happen.  One day she's flying like the day she came off the line and the next, you can't even get two hours worth of engine turns done without ten hours of maintenance.

Everything has a limit.  Your heart has a certain number of beats that it will stop at.  We have a general idea that it will go for 75ish years but we also know that depends on a lot of things and it can go longer or much sooner.  Same with aircraft..
View Quote
I've done lots of phase inspections on KC-130T's, and sadly a bunch on this exact BUNO.

Everything following this is just more supposition:
IF the failure was stringers, ribs, longerons, etc at the 245 bulkhead, it started below the cargo deck, due to human urine. Some birds have piss cans, one of which was against 245 right at the CED. I dont remember if 000 did, but probably since most of ours did. Urine is extremely corrosive, or rather speeds up corrosion due to all the salts in it. That is not an area that is checked at I or O level. In fact, only one section of floor can be removed at a time due to it being structural. I can only assume it's a depot level check. I inspect aircraft in build process, so I'm no stranger to how planes are built. I don't see this being a structural issue at 245.  Maybe the LOX tank (under flight station in nose gear compartment) blew?? There just isnt anything else in that area that could pop. No hyd pumps, accumulators, etc.  If it started at 245, it was not an unaided structural failure
The preceeding was entirely my educated ramblings.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We had one in a LC-130F that had the fuse tank plumbing in it, it caught fire and "blew up" in flight after it had been reworked by Cherry Point.
View Quote
Who are you saying had the fuse tank installed?  000 that just went down?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Old? LOL!
The C-130F's were old!

Again, I doubt that the USAF is going to get rid of all of their C-130H's because of this accident.
View Quote
The infrastructure in place to maintain and repair them is considerably larger and far better funded than that of the DoN.  We have 25 Hercs in the USN, the USMC is down to one last squadron of legacy T's,  That 25 aircraft inventory includes Fat Albert, which, contrary to popular notion, is not a USMC owned plane but belongs to the VR wing of the Reserve USN.  

As the C2 Greyhounds are replaced by the V22's, and the P3 is replaced by the P8, our little wing of 25 planes becomes the only 4 blade H.S. prop game in town.  The DoN money needed to rebuild components, buy new off the shelf parts, the man power involved to keep the squadrons viable, is all becoming very hard.  And we beat the ever living fuck out of our planes.  I wouldn't drive a stolen rental as hard as we fly these things.  

So at the end of the day, $$ controls everything and this is a terrible tragedy that, given the circumstance, I could easily see it as the catalyst for something that curtails the community.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Among the first witnesses at the scene was David Habig, a crop-duster pilot who flew low over the wreckage. “Lo and behold, all I see are
bodies out in the bean field,” he said. “They were everywhere. It was
horrific. I’d never seen anything like it.”

Link
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are two types of paratroop doors, tanker doors and the non-tanker (porthole doors) doors.
Tanker doors have big square windows and mounts on them to install an observer seat (used during in-flight refueling evolutions).
Non-tanker doors have a small round porthole.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pax may not wear them, but flying aircrew do 100% of the time...

Also, from the video, it looks like everything from 245 forward is gone...
View Quote
Not in the Navy.   When I got to my squadron in 2008 there were 5 parachutes just aft of the crew entrance door strapped to a cot above head level.  Then around 2010ish they were removed from all of our aircraft.

They were never worn by crew and only removed for inspection.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:But it could also be something smaller as a failed pressure bulkhead or ruptured fuel tank.

If you are talking about the same one that is on the USAF HC-130, we had one develop a major leak once, that got into a real interesting IFE/emergency return.

Asshole pucker factor was off the scale that day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Up until now I didn't realize the T's were so worn.

When I was active duty in VMGR 352, VMGR 234 was just beginning to get the T's and 452 had just stood up.

Time flies.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@KA3B
View Quote
this was supposed to be an edit
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've done lots of phase inspections on KC-130T's, and sadly a bunch on this exact BUNO.

Everything following this is just more supposition:
IF the failure was stringers, ribs, longerons, etc at the 245 bulkhead, it started below the cargo deck, due to human urine. Some birds have piss cans, one of which was against 245 right at the CED. I dont remember if 000 did, but probably since most of ours did. Urine is extremely corrosive, or rather speeds up corrosion due to all the salts in it. That is not an area that is checked at I or O level. In fact, only one section of floor can be removed at a time due to it being structural. I can only assume it's a depot level check. I inspect aircraft in build process, so I'm no stranger to how planes are built. I don't see this being a structural issue at 245.  Maybe the LOX tank (under flight station in nose gear compartment) blew?? There just isnt anything else in that area that could pop. No hyd pumps, accumulators, etc.  If it started at 245, it was not an unaided structural failure
The preceeding was entirely my educated ramblings.
View Quote
Some of the commands have removed the portable piss cans, some have them safety wired shut.  Shear forces during a severe spin could rip the cockpit off I would imagine?

And just a guess, an in-flight explosion/fire would possibly have burned much of the fuel before impact or at least much would have been lost during the break up?   Seems this plane had a lot of gas on board when she impacted as it burned for quite a while.  For a cross country I would guess she had around 44-48k. depending on her GW, winds, etc..
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There are two types of paratroop doors, tanker doors and the non-tanker (porthole doors) doors.
Tanker doors have big square windows and mounts on them to install an observer seat (used during in-flight refueling evolutions).
Non-tanker doors have a small round porthole.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_080/1120966-large.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8698124-3x2-940x627.jpg
View Quote

We did a TCTO a couple years ago to put the square window doors on all of our H models.  Js all have the square windows too, better for spotter/observer use.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
While the plumbing is always there, I doubt that the fuse tank was installed.

They often aren't, and this was an in-CONUS crosscountry pax and cargo run. There is still plenty of fuel in the wings and external tanks to do an inflight refueling, even though tanking wasn't part of this flight's mission.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have 25 Hercs in the USN, the USMC is down to one last squadron of legacy T's,  That 25 aircraft inventory includes Fat Albert, which, contrary to popular notion, is not a USMC owned plane but belongs to the VR wing of the Reserve USN.  
View Quote
The Navy has bought into the NP2000 propeller system.

"Earlier this year, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) awarded Hamilton Sundstrand a contract for the procurement and installation of as many as 25 electronic propeller control system (EPCS) aircraft kits for the U.S. Navy Reserve’s C-130T aircraft and the U.S. Air National Guard’s LC-130H aircraft. EPCS kits replace 54H60 propeller mechanical controls with a system based on digital computer software and are part of Hamilton Sundstrand’s propeller modernization program, which can be applied to NP2000 propellers in the future."
http://www.utc.com/News/News-Center/Pages/Hamilton-Sundstrands-propeller-modernization-program-makes-strides-offers-opera.aspx

I don't think the Navy's C-130T's are going anywhere...yet.

Sometimes Fat Albert was a USMC Herc, sometimes it was a USN Herc.
Don't forget about Ernie and Christine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@KA3B
Talking to the USMC Aircrew here on ARFcom, they have told me (and others) over the years that the Marine KC-130's have the fuse tank installed most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They often aren't, and this was an in-CONUS crosscountry pax and cargo run. There is still plenty of fuel in the wings and external tanks to do an inflight refueling, even though tanking wasn't part of this flight's mission.
View Quote
That's exactly why I asked for clarification.

I only ever put a fuse tank in one singular time. September 12, 2001.  It didnt stay in long.  We ran lots of refueling without the fuse tank.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Talking to the USMC Aircrew here on ARFcom, they have told me (and others) over the years that the Marine KC-130's have the fuse tank installed at all times.
View Quote
that is patently NOT true.  Fuse tank is huge and takes like 3/4 of the cargo compartment. Which means no seats next to it, which means limited pax and even more limited cargo, like 1 pallet on the ramp.

See GunnyG's post also
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#35]
How sad.  I bet the majority of them were barely in their 20s.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#36]
The Fuse Tanks were always installed on the F models.

The R models usually had them. The external wing tanks carried enough fuel for refueling but we liked having the fuse tank installed due to it's more powerful pumps. It made refueling the receiver aircraft much quicker than using the transfer pumps in the external tanks.

We had first generation R models in 352, about two thirds of our A/C had the fuse tanks installed. For cargo frags we coordinated the non fuse tank airframes for the mission. Refueling hops and general training flights we usually flew a fuse tank equipped bird.

I never crewed T models, so I have no experience there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Navy has bought into the NP2000 propeller system.

"Earlier this year, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) awarded Hamilton Sundstrand a contract for the procurement and installation of as many as 25 electronic propeller control system (EPCS) aircraft kits for the U.S. Navy Reserve’s C-130T aircraft and the U.S. Air National Guard’s LC-130H aircraft. EPCS kits replace 54H60 propeller mechanical controls with a system based on digital computer software and are part of Hamilton Sundstrand’s propeller modernization program, which can be applied to NP2000 propellers in the future."
http://www.utc.com/News/News-Center/Pages/Hamilton-Sundstrands-propeller-modernization-program-makes-strides-offers-opera.aspx

I don't think the Navy's C-130T's are going anywhere...yet.

Sometimes Fat Albert was a USMC Herc, sometimes it was a USN Herc.
Don't forget about Ernie and Christine.
View Quote
IMO, EPCS is a nightmare.  The EVH's are great "much" of the time but, in reality, the switch to the solid state valve housings hamstrung the community and we are still struggling with it.  The system has a lot of merit but we aren't getting the composite props ever, that much I know.
Right now, we are throwing 20mil a plane at an avionics upgrade that is probably gonna get yanked early anyway.  I give the community five years tops.  A class alpha doesnt help, regardless of the causal factors.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Up until now I didn't realize the T's were so worn.

When I was active duty in VMGR 352, VMGR 234 was just beginning to get the T's and 452 had just stood up.

Time flies.
View Quote
 352 was my parent squadron. I was in HMS-13 (6414 circa 84-86) Ts were just standing up when I got out. This sucks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
6 Marines 1 Sailor from 2d Marine Raider Bn on NBC.com
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not in the Navy.   When I got to my squadron in 2008 there were 5 parachutes just aft of the crew entrance door strapped to a cot above head level.  Then around 2010ish they were removed from all of our aircraft.

They were never worn by crew and only removed for inspection.
View Quote
i was talkin seat belts, not chutes....
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No expert at all, but found this:

C-130 Damage from In-Flight Prop Separation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 245 is the wall at the front end of the cargo area where they store the stanchions and assorted shit. On the J model it's where the computer that controls the locks is located. In the cargo area, just aft of the 245 on the right side is where the parachutes hang. Right where you were setting the locks on E/H models just inside the crew door is the 245.

I don't think anyone was belted in. I'd say that close to 99% of the time I fly, nobody is wearing their seatbelt. If that was SOP in this instance, I'd be astonished if they could have gotten the plane righted and flying again as they ping ponged around the inside, much less get to and put on a seatbelt.

Scary shit.
Pax may not wear them, but flying aircrew do 100% of the time...

Also, from the video, it looks like everything from 245 forward is gone...
No expert at all, but found this:

C-130 Damage from In-Flight Prop Separation
I recall seeing a Guard 130 at an airshow that had a prop come off in flight and chop the fuselage almost all the way through, they landed it and ultimately refurbished it and put it back in service, an E if I recall correctly the damage occurred in Vietnam during the war, and the aircraft was refurbed in Japan. They had photos of the aircraft on the ground in Vietnam and in Japan, Before repairs... was a cool display.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Some of the commands have removed the portable piss cans, some have them safety wired shut.  Shear forces during a severe spin could rip the cockpit off I would imagine?
And just a guess, an in-flight explosion/fire would possibly have burned much of the fuel before impact or at least much would have been lost during the break up?   Seems this plane had a lot of gas on board when she impacted as it burned for quite a while.  For a cross country I would guess she had around 44-48k. depending on her GW, winds, etc..
View Quote
VXE-6 removed the forward urinals from their Hercs.

We had a Work Center 320, the Loadmasters were in charge of the cargo compartment, dual rail system, cargo deck, lights, ICS, just about everything in it.
I worked with a P&E guy from Cherry Point NADEP, they were doing a pre-induction inspection on one of the Hercs.
I pulled up the dual rail and floorboards on the ramp and cargo floor section to get at FS 737.
Holy crap there was a lot of piss induced corrosion there!
It was fucking NASTY.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
OK, I was under the impression that Marine KC-130's didn't on/off load the fuse tank.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

VXE-6 removed the forward urinals from their Hercs.

We had a Work Center 320, the Loadmasters were in charge of the cargo compartment, dual rail system, cargo deck, lights, ICS, just about everything in it.
I worked with a P&E guy from Cherry Point NADEP, they were doing a pre-induction inspection on one of the Hercs.
I pulled up the dual rail and floorboards on the ramp and cargo floor section to get at FS 737.
Holy crap there was a lot of piss induced corrosion there!
It was fucking NASTY.
View Quote
I bet, the area below the head is coated in some heavy duty greenish looking gel paint stuff to cut down on the urine damage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looked to me like the fuel from the wings burned first and what was feeding the fire were the externals and fuse tanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Talking to the USMC Aircrew here on ARFcom, they have told me (and others) over the years that the Marine KC-130's have the fuse tank installed most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@KA3B
I flew on the KCs from '82 through '89, and usually the tanks were installed. It was not rare for the tanks to be removed, however. I don't know what (other than mission requirements and availability) drove swapping tanks in or out. We drove a lot more cargo around in WESTPAC, so more often than not, we had more cargo configurations than tankers. My recollection was that it was and 8 to 12 hour job depending on whether it was an F or an R model. (R models had the rail system.)

m
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 IIRC, years back an AC-130 had a 105mm round go off in the fuselage and the plane stayed pretty much intact after ditching too so who knows.  I wouldn't want to speculate.

View Quote
It didn't go off in the fuselage.  They fired the 105.  However there was a flare in the barrel.  It detonated the round as it left the barrel due to the flare.   The shrapnel from the blast being so close to the outside is what damaged the plane.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty fucking quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKIGT7EgSA

Pretty fucking quick.
View Quote
Regarding the wings falling off.  I highly doubt the reason behind the one in the video would happen in the military.  Their maintenance people basically repaired it with nuts, bolts, and bailing twine they bought at Ace hardware instead of aircraft grade stuff.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Regarding the wings falling off.  I highly doubt the reason behind the one in the video would happen in the military.  Their maintenance people basically repaired it with nuts, bolts, and bailing twine they bought at Ace hardware instead of aircraft grade stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty fucking quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKIGT7EgSA

Pretty fucking quick.
I thought I recollected that bird was on loan from the CANG??? Nope my bad, was an A Model operated by H&P, but nothing in the incident report stating improper fasteners or bailing twine used for improper repairs, Cracks in Wing doublers were noted in the logbook, and repairs were detailed, other items requiring detailed inspection by the FAA were documented and the FAA signed off on it. but the incident report doesn't mention any of the stuff talked about here...
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top