BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our old F and R's did not have flight data/ voice recorders..there was an empty rack in the tail near the ramp/ after door for one..but the system wasn't installed. It's been a while, but I don't recall if the T's from NY and Tx has them installed.

This sucks.
View Quote
If it's a J model, they're there.

It's mandated.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There would have been a Loadmaster on board, it had pax and cargo on board.
Required for USN and USMC legacy Hercs when carrying pax and cargo, it's probably the same for the J's.
View Quote
We've had load's load and lock down a pallet and a few pax and NOT be on board when we're going from A to B and we got people to offload..

But now that I think about it, it was our own people..and was rare. They'd be on this flight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Reading the reports, it sounds like the cockpit separated from the fuselage before the plane hit the ground.  
View Quote
That would explain bodies being found miles away from the crash site.  But HOW TF does a C-130 cockpit separate from the rest of the airframe?

Wings still attached would seem to preclude turbulence, because they should break first.  Explosion?  Catastrophic engine failure that launched an entire prop through the fuselage like a buzz saw?  I had been wondering about the possibility of a cargo door blowout at altitude, but the crash looks like the doors are still there.

But the cockpit separating from the rest of the plane...  If this is actually a J model then the entire world is going to be screwed while the fleet is grounded.  If it's a T model, then they may have just seen their last flights.

Sad for the crews' and passengers' families, friends and squadron mates.  But a problem that grounds the entire C-130 fleet takes this beyond a tragedy within the USMC aviation community, it becomes a crisis riding on that tragedy's coattails.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That would explain bodies being found miles away from the crash site.  But HOW TF does a C-130 cockpit separate from the rest of the airframe?

Wings still attached would seem to preclude turbulence, because they should break first.  Explosion?  Catastrophic engine failure that launched an entire prop through the fuselage like a buzz saw?  I had been wondering about the possibility of a cargo door blowout at altitude, but the crash looks like the doors are still there.

But the cockpit separating from the rest of the plane...  If this is actually a J model then the entire world is going to be screwed while the fleet is grounded.  If it's a T model, then they may have just seen their last flights.

Sad for the crews' and passengers' families, friends and squadron mates.  But a problem that grounds the entire C-130 fleet takes this beyond a tragedy within the USMC aviation community, it becomes a crisis riding on that tragedy's coattails.
View Quote
The KC-135 out of Manas a few years ago tore itself apart in flight. Rudder boost malfunction I believe.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Any chance a rotor or blade flew off?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The KC-135 out of Manas a few years ago tore itself apart in flight. Rudder boost malfunction I believe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yaw damper issue that (with other issues) lead to dutch roll.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We've had load's load and lock down a pallet and a few pax and NOT be on board when we're going from A to B and we got people to offload..
View Quote
A Loadmaster was a requirement with VXE-6 for all flights where passengers or cargo was being carried.
A Loadmaster was also required for all polar flights.
The only time a Loadmaster was not required was no pax no cargo, then an observer or another crew member could perform the pre/in-flight/post checks/inspections that the Loadmaster would normally do.

Crazy not to carry a Loadmaster with pax or cargo since there are boldfaced emergency procedures that the loadmaster has to perform.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
IIRC we had a rudder hyd/ boost problem in late 90's..and flap screw issue's that dealt with bad welds. Guys walking back into the hanger dropped one and it broke clean at the weld. We were down for a while..both issues.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
MARSOC has confirmed 6 of the Marines and the Corpsman were theirs.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If this is actually a J model
View Quote
It's not a J model.
The Marine reserves out of New York fly KC-130T's.
The official Marine news release states it was a KC-130T.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not a J model.
The Marine reserves out of New York fly KC-130T's.
The official Marine news release states it was a KC-130T.
View Quote
Alan Stinar says this is probably the best article about the crash so far: HERE
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It wasn't a C-130J, it was a Marine Reserve KC-130T from New York.

They were transporting a MARSOC team.

The entire team may not have been on board the Herc, sometimes they send an ADVON out before the main DET.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was afraid of that but something aint making sense then .
C-130 J crew is 3

The entire team may not have been on board the Herc, sometimes they send an ADVON out before the main DET.
MARSOC's mission, and much of their unorthodox equipment, is frequently classified.

Their "cargo" would have been highly unusual, and the FBI has an interest in protecting the wreckage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. That was improperly handled yaw damp issue. Could have been survivable . One of my best friends was the IP for AC on that flight. Hit him hard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MARSOC's mission, and much of their unorthodox equipment, is frequently classified.

Their "cargo" would have been highly unusual, and the FBI has an interest in protecting the wreckage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was afraid of that but something aint making sense then .
C-130 J crew is 3

And sometimes you just use what you have handy until the actual correct answer is available on scene.  I don't doubt that the FBI could get there before the NCIS agents could arrive.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And sometimes you just use what you have handy until the actual correct answer is available on scene.  I don't doubt that the FBI could get there before the NCIS agents could arrive.
View Quote

Peetty sure the FBI has a Field Office in Memphis and Jackson, MS.  I doubt NICS does.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup. That was improperly handled yaw damp issue. Could have been survivable . One of my best friends was the IP for AC on that flight. Hit him hard.
View Quote
I flew with the AC while he was going through UPT as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If it's a T model
View Quote
T models are H models.
The USAF is not going to retire their H models.

There are only 4 (lockheed) models of the C-130.
YC-130 = Model 082
C-130A = Model 182
C-130B = Model 282
C-130E = Model 382
C-130H = Model 382
C-130R = Model 382

Anything else is a subset of one of those models.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, and you worked on Air Force C130's?

They're hanging on the copilot's side just aft of the 245. If you worked on C130's, you know what the 245 is. Are you talking station numbers? I loaded cargo and pax, and had exactly zero reason to go into the cockpit, nor was it my job to give a fuck about what crew equipment was on board. I spoke to the load who was in the back.

You can open the doors regardless of the cargo load. I know that. My point was depending on cargo, getting to them may be difficult. Releasing cargo in an H is a lot different than in a J from what I remember. The Js have electronic cargo locks vs the mechanical once the previous models have. Though I never fucked with any of that shit either, aside from the manual pallet locks in position 6. It's also been a few years since I set foot on one, so I may misremembering.

You're right that they probably wouldn't have had time, and they were, from the looks of things, in a flat spin *AND* inverted, so there probably wasn't a lot of people standing.
The 245 is the wall at the front end of the cargo area where they store the stanchions and assorted shit. On the J model it's where the computer that controls the locks is located. In the cargo area, just aft of the 245 on the right side is where the parachutes hang. Right where you were setting the locks on E/H models just inside the crew door is the 245.

I don't think anyone was belted in. I'd say that close to 99% of the time I fly, nobody is wearing their seatbelt. If that was SOP in this instance, I'd be astonished if they could have gotten the plane righted and flying again as they ping ponged around the inside, much less get to and put on a seatbelt.

Scary shit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Truth.  That crash site looks to have had damn near 100% vertical airspeed.  Almost no forward component to it.   Damn...  

What's the typical cruise speed of a KC-130?
View Quote
~240 kts
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
What would MARSOC have on board that would blow the cockpit off of a C130 from the inside if it went screwy? Flight profile, no distress call, and reports of a midair explosion have me wondering if aerodynamic failure was not the case here. Granted you want to aviate before communicating, which explains no distress call, but that plane looks real intact for some sort of catestrophic failure at 20,000 feet caused by a structural failure.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I transported 15,000 lbs of good ole Dyno Nobel dynamite to an outcamp in Antarctica in 1995.
No passengers on board.

The next plane that came in was carrying 5,000 lbs of blasting caps and fuses.

When it was time to leave the camp the retarded pilot had them load the dynamite and the blasting caps together on the plane.  
I was not part of that clusterfuck evolution.
The Loadmaster and the pilot got in some deep shit over that one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The 245 is the wall at the front end of the cargo area where they store the stanchions and assorted shit. On the J model it's where the computer that controls the locks is located. In the cargo area, just aft of the 245 on the right side is where the parachutes hang. Right where you were setting the locks on E/H models just inside the crew door is the 245.

I don't think anyone was belted in. I'd say that close to 99% of the time I fly, nobody is wearing their seatbelt. If that was SOP in this instance, I'd be astonished if they could have gotten the plane righted and flying again as they ping ponged around the inside, much less get to and put on a seatbelt.

Scary shit.
View Quote
Pax may not wear them, but flying aircrew do 100% of the time...

Also, from the video, it looks like everything from 245 forward is gone...
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
10 years as a Loadmaster, and while I wore my seatbelt most of the time, it certainly wasn't 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#25]
NVM..read wrong.
Quoted:

10 years as a Loadmaster, and while I wore my seatbelt most of the time, it certainly wasn't 100% of the time.
View Quote
True..hell we'd be on ladders changing burnt out lights in flights along the hog trough if we were bored enough...we'd have walk arounds to do while in flight..

Most of the time we were belted in, unless you were a load master sleeping on top of mail..Up front, we were belted in if not moving around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone was belted in. I'd say that close to 99% of the time I fly, nobody is wearing their seatbelt. If that was SOP in this instance, I'd be astonished if they could have gotten the plane righted and flying again as they ping ponged around the inside, much less get to and put on a seatbelt. Scary shit.
View Quote
When VXE-6 crashed an LC-130R in Antarctica the flight engineer was the only person on board who was strapped in.
The fuselage was twisted after the crash with the cockpit being upside down.

The engineer was knocked out, when he came to he was looking at the upper instrument panel, upside down, still strapped in his seat.
The panel was lit up like a Christmas tree.
His first words were "I think we have an engine out".
Before the crew had a chance to stop him he released his belts and fell out of the chair.
They could not get out due to the twisted fuselage and the cargo that had broke loose during the crash and was blocking the 245 "stairway".
They had to take the crash axe and chop out the side window.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
previous poster mentioned it would be difficult righting the airplane if not wearing the seatbelt... my point was the flying aircrew (pilots) always do, so no factor.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Their Confirming on the News here in NC 6 Marines and 1 Corpsman were from Camp Luejene.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scary shit.

No expert at all, but found this:

C-130 Damage from In-Flight Prop Separation
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No expert at all, but found this:

C-130 Damage from In-Flight Prop Separation
View Quote
Most active duty 130's had a red line painted in the inside, showing the arc of the props. I never  sat near that line. You never know... Those props would go through the plane like it was butter.

Edit: Not applicable here but the load master is often one of the lookouts for AA fire/rocket trails over a combat zone, so rarely belted in.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Big Update Confirms now what we thought

Linky

Military cargo plane that 'exploded at 20,000 feet' and crashed killing 16 was carrying an elite special forces-ops Marine unit, equipment and ammunition that may have contributed to the fatal accident

Officials are investigating whether ammunition and weaponry aboard the military plane that crashed killing an elite group of Marines, could have caused the mid-air explosion.

Seven members of the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) were aboard the Lockheed KC-130T on Monday, when it exploded at 20,000 feet and crashed into a soybean field in in LeFlore County, Mississippi.

The six Marines and one Navy sailor from MARSOC, all from the Camp Lejeune-based 2d Marine Raider Battalion, North Carolina, had been flying from the nearby Air Station Cherry Point, for pre-deployment training at the Marine Corps Air Station Yuma.

All seven members of the special forces were killed in the crash, alongside nine other military personnel and crew.

'Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire MARSOC family at this time,' the MARSOC chief of staff said in a statement. 'The incredible demands of this dangerous and demanding calling forge some of the tightest unit and family bonds found in the U.S. military. This loss impacts us all.'
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Most active duty 130's had a red line painted in the inside, showing the arc of the props. I never  sat near that line. You never know... Those props would go through the plane like it was butter.

Edit: Not applicable here but the load master is often one of the lookouts for AA fire/rocket trails over a combat zone, so rarely belted in.
View Quote
When that was the case, we often, if not all the time, strapped in. I can't speak for other squadrons' aircraft, but we had small seats bolted to the troop doors, as well as seat belt hard points. We strapped in, because if they're gonna have to maneuver, we didn't want to get tossed around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn. Carrying dangerous cargo is part of the life. RIP to all those dead.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Even then I would expect Navy criminal investigators to take the lead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have not read the entire thread, but I saw a news report saying the FBI is involved now. Any ideas on that?
Maybe someone here knows.  You never hear them investigating when a thunderbird or navy bird crashes.  Maybe because the amount of deaths?
If the FBI is investigating, it is probably because of the speculation of an inflight explosion and the possibility that sabotage (i.e. a bomb) might have been involved.  FBI doesn't investigate crashes unless some outside criminal activity is suspected.

Mike
Even then I would expect Navy criminal investigators to take the lead.
Gibbs is busy with the ever increasing body count in the DC area.  Dinozzo left.  

Those LA guys....well, I guess Deeks might be free.  The fella down in weeziana I think are all dead of something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any chance a rotor or blade flew off?
View Quote
It has happened before. There's a vertical line on the fuselage that indicates where the plane of the prop blades is. In the photo I saw, the #2 prop threw a blade through the fuselage, and it entered exactly on that line. Fortunately, it happened on the ground and nobody was in the way.

Edit:

Here you go. I don't remember it being an Arab Herc and it's #3, but it shows you where the prop blade hits, and you can see it's right on the line. If this happened in flight...

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Big Update Confirms now what we thought

Linky

Military cargo plane that 'exploded at 20,000 feet' and crashed killing 16 was carrying an elite special forces-ops Marine unit, equipment and ammunition that may have contributed to the fatal accident

Officials are investigating whether ammunition and weaponry aboard the military plane that crashed killing an elite group of Marines, could have caused the mid-air explosion.

Seven members of the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) were aboard the Lockheed KC-130T on Monday, when it exploded at 20,000 feet and crashed into a soybean field in in LeFlore County, Mississippi.

The six Marines and one Navy sailor from MARSOC, all from the Camp Lejeune-based 2d Marine Raider Battalion, North Carolina, had been flying from the nearby Air Station Cherry Point, for pre-deployment training at the Marine Corps Air Station Yuma.

All seven members of the special forces were killed in the crash, alongside nine other military personnel and crew.

'Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire MARSOC family at this time,' the MARSOC chief of staff said in a statement. 'The incredible demands of this dangerous and demanding calling forge some of the tightest unit and family bonds found in the U.S. military. This loss impacts us all.'
View Quote
That's a pretty big piece of bang if an AD of something took down the plane.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We had a triple nuts at 234. Same one? I don't remember the first three, but pretty sure it the same

Edit:. Now I'm thinking it was 162000
View Quote
No, 165000 was assigned to 234 too. It was later transferred to 452, in 2015.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's a pretty big piece of bang if an AD of something took down the plane.
View Quote
Not going to play Monday Quarter back but Special ops  use all kinds of High Explosive From 40 MM Grenades to Regular nades to Rocket Launchers to C-4 and what not .

We may never know what Exactly happened only thing is now that truly matters is 16 Families are with out their loved ones.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When that was the case, we often, if not all the time, strapped in. I can't speak for other squadrons' aircraft, but we had small seats bolted to the troop doors, as well as seat belt hard points. We strapped in, because if they're gonna have to maneuver, we didn't want to get tossed around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They never belted me in(secondary lookout). We were up high, all doors closed and looking out windows. It was only occasional AA threats, not a highly active area, and not a special aircraft/pax. Enough said, sorry for the detour.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Interesting that this comment from the NYT article is the only time seen mention of someone attempting to parachute out:

Clarence Garrard was working at a cluster of commercial catfish ponds nearby when he heard a noise that at first he thought was thunder. He said he turned to see the doomed aircraft twisting and losing altitude, and saw one person jump from it and open a parachute.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Scary shit.
View Quote
OHHHH I know where you're talking now. Ok, I always figured those were EPOS bags. Thanks Turbo! Yea man I never dealt with that stuff, but I bumping into it occasionally when going in the crew door.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They never belted me in(secondary lookout). We were up high, all doors closed and looking out windows. It was only occasional AA threats, not a highly active area, and not a special aircraft/pax. Enough said, sorry for the detour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't intend the detour either. But, which window were you in? Our doors were closed, as well. We'd typically sit sideways, facing aft, with the seatbelts on that jump seat secured loose. Wasn't very comfortable, but gave the best view out the door, facing down and aft.

*These were AF H-3 models.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm guessing the fires have been put out by now. Have there been any newer images of the aircraft sans fire? It would be interesting to count engines and props.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A military safety board investigates military accidents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard the same report. Who would normally investigate a military incident? NTSB or Military? Prayers out to all involved. I've been retired since '85 - this shit still upsets me. I can't imagine how members here who worked on that aircraft or possibly knew the crew must feel. Stay strong brothers - RIP to the fallen.
A military safety board investigates military accidents.
This is correct.  The equivalent of what the USAF calls a SIB (Safety Investigation Board) and a separate AIB (Accident Investigation Board) will investigate the mishap.   The NTSB has zero jurisdiction, especially since there was no civil carrier or aircraft involved.  The FBI also has no automatic jurisdiction in the investigation.  The DOD is a federal entity and would conduct their own investigation, up to and until there would be some outside influence found that would necessitate the FBI getting involved to look into that influence.  Make sense?

Also, while it seems fun for some here to speculate on what the cause was, its pointless to even go down that route.  Let the investigation run its course.  There are very smart investigators and engineers at Lockheed who will nail down the cause in due time.  The DFDR (digital flight data recorder) and CVR (cockpit voice recorder) will yield some answers very quickly.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the fires have been put out by now. Have there been any newer images of the aircraft sans fire? It would be interesting to count engines and props.
View Quote
If near Moorhead, MS there is a TFR in place.

Source

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#48]
It was said the cockpit was found 1 mile away from the main wreckage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It was said the cockpit was found 1 mile away from the main wreckage.
View Quote

If true, that's a hell of an unusual failure mode for a C-130.  Could have been a catastrophic gearbox/prop failure, but there are a dozen safety features designed to prevent that from happening.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#50]

RIP Semper Fi brothers!
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top