BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The C8.R is coming, and it will race at LeMans. Comparisons to the GT are natural given we are talking about Ford and Chevy here, but really there should be no comparison. You can't just decide to buy a GT, even if you have the $450k. You have to be deemed worthy by Ford. Once they go on sale late this year or early next, anyone with a few bucks and a decent credit rating will be able to buy a C8. You will see them everywhere.

C8.R in testing:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209554/c8r_camo_jpg-1028169.JPG
View Quote
Hmmm... will be interested to see how it does in IMSA/WEC type stuff.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://theluggnutt.com/2019/07/21/commentary-i-am-truly-sorry-the-new-corvette-does-not-appeal-to-our-core-demographic-which-will-all-be-dead-soon/

By Mary Barra

It is with great sadness that I must inform Corvette’s core demographic that the new C8 is not meant to appeal to them, but I can say we at General Motors also do not care, because most them of will be dead soon enough. When I first approved the new Corvette, one of my biggest worries was how this would play out with some of our most valued assets, our customers. Then I looked at their median age and realized a good portion would be taking dirt naps before the C8 was even rolling off the assembly line.

That is not to say the Corvette design is not iconic, but what I am saying is we needed to attract younger buyers who do not spend most their days sharing racist Facebook memes or spending hours at Costco taking all the free samples.

When the general public thinks of the Corvette, they think of open roads, throaty V8 engines, and old white men wearing those socks that prevent blood clots. You know just by looking when they climb out of their C5 that the Reaper is somewhere nearby. Once in a while one of them will trade in their C5 for a C7 but croak before the deposit is due, and as a successful business woman, I knew this was not viable for General Motors.

Porsche owners are pretty terrible but are not one step away from the pearly white gates, and Mustang owners usually have multiple felony convictions but are not worried Obama is using a microwave to read their minds. Have you ever seen either of them sitting around debating the finer points of the Eisenhower administration? Enough said.

In any case, it is my responsibly to position General Motors and Corvette for success far into the future and depending on a group of people who still bemoan the loss of Golden Girls was never going to workout long term.
So edgy.  What a fucking asshole.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://theluggnutt.com/2019/07/21/commentary-i-am-truly-sorry-the-new-corvette-does-not-appeal-to-our-core-demographic-which-will-all-be-dead-soon/

By Mary Barra

It is with great sadness that I must inform Corvette’s core demographic that the new C8 is not meant to appeal to them, but I can say we at General Motors also do not care, because most them of will be dead soon enough. When I first approved the new Corvette, one of my biggest worries was how this would play out with some of our most valued assets, our customers. Then I looked at their median age and realized a good portion would be taking dirt naps before the C8 was even rolling off the assembly line.

That is not to say the Corvette design is not iconic, but what I am saying is we needed to attract younger buyers who do not spend most their days sharing racist Facebook memes or spending hours at Costco taking all the free samples.

When the general public thinks of the Corvette, they think of open roads, throaty V8 engines, and old white men wearing those socks that prevent blood clots. You know just by looking when they climb out of their C5 that the Reaper is somewhere nearby. Once in a while one of them will trade in their C5 for a C7 but croak before the deposit is due, and as a successful business woman, I knew this was not viable for General Motors.

Porsche owners are pretty terrible but are not one step away from the pearly white gates, and Mustang owners usually have multiple felony convictions but are not worried Obama is using a microwave to read their minds. Have you ever seen either of them sitting around debating the finer points of the Eisenhower administration? Enough said.

In any case, it is my responsibly to position General Motors and Corvette for success far into the future and depending on a group of people who still bemoan the loss of Golden Girls was never going to workout long term.
So edgy.  What a fucking asshole.
Fake news. It's satire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
*EXCLUSIVE* ACCESS TO THE MID-ENGINE C8 CORVETTE... (Exhaust Sounds, and Full Review)
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's my issue with all Mid engine cars.  They all look pretty much the same.
View Quote
Perhaps, but this will be the first one that is within reach of most of the middle-class and modestly affluent people.  It's also the first one with less expensive parts and service support.  And hopefully, it's one that will require less maintenance.

Most cars in each category and configuration look the same.  That's because government has boxed in automakers and their design flexibility and there is not a lot of leeway around the most efficient shapes for each configuration.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
First Corvette I've lusted after since the C6 Z06 and its 7 liter NA motor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First Corvette I've lusted after since the C6 Z06 and its 7 liter NA motor.
View Quote
This is the first new Corvette design in my lifetime that I've even considered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Perhaps, but this will be the first one that is within reach of most of the middle-class and modestly affluent people.  It's also the first one with less expensive parts and service support.  And hopefully, it's one that will require less maintenance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my issue with all Mid engine cars.  They all look pretty much the same.
If you don’t count the Fiero and MR-2/MRS
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, but this will be the first one with real power.  The Pontiac Fiero was killed just as they were starting to get that platform right.  The last GT model had 135 hp.  
The MR2 was more along the lines of the old Porsche 914.  A sporty, but not powerful mid-engine runabout.

The C8 looks to be an attainable supercar.  That makes it somewhat of a different animal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

Prices are directly from a GM rep
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

View Quote
Whoa.

After the first year, it should actually be possible to get a Z51 equipped car with a street price less than $60k. That's insane value there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whoa.

After the first year, it should actually be possible to get a Z51 equipped car with a street price less than $60k. That's insane value there.
View Quote
That's the bargain of the decade.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
True, but this will be the first one with real power.  The Pontiac Fiero was killed just as they were starting to get that platform right.  The last GT model had 135 hp.  
The MR2 was more along the lines of the old Porsche 914.  A sporty, but not powerful mid-engine runabout.

The C8 looks to be an attainable supercar.  That makes it somewhat of a different animal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll argue tangentially a bit, but not too hard.

The base naturally aspirated (NA) SW20 MR2 had 135hp (1993) out of the 2.2 5SFE Camry motor. The turbo 3SGTE was rated at 200hp.

The Fiero and MR2 were only competing on the same field during the AW11 years.

Corvette only obtained 350hp in ‘93 with the introduction of the LT1, before they were only 250 at best on a 3200lb chassis, compared to 2800lb SW20. Not a big split in the very early 90’s models. That said, the MR2 is forever hampered by the parts bin McStrut suspension they have.

What really did the MR2’s in (as well as the Supras, etc) was the $-yen rate that boogered up the pricing at the time.

Don’t disagree the C8 is bringing real exotic level performance to the masses. Exciting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

View Quote
Damn...Those prices are excellent!
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep in mind those prices are BASE. You all are gonna want your fancy add on shit and Chevy will make sure they get paid.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Keep in mind those prices are BASE. You all are gonna want your fancy add on shit and Chevy will make sure they get paid.
View Quote
The xLT levels are the fancy add on shit. A 3lt z51 is that price.  It'll have all kinds of gizmos and add ons as part of that trim level.  I'm sure you can custom order stuff that will push the price up but most people don't.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The xLT levels are the fancy add on shit. A 3lt z51 is that price.  It'll have all kinds of gizmos and add ons as part of that trim level.  I'm sure you can custom order stuff that will push the price up but most people don't.
View Quote
1lt with the z51 and hopefully the comp sports seats is what I'll be going for... at some point

Can't wait for the reviews to start coming in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
The supercar Trucoat is going to be really expensive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Comp seats, mag ride, CF exposed roof, CF exterior package, CF interior package, stripes, rims, special paint, navigation and the list goes on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

View Quote
2lt with z51 seems like the one to get, crazy strong prices

I do imagine those prices do not include destination so add $1000 to them to get the real price without the dreaded market adjustment
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whoa.

View Quote
I have a feeling they will getting at least full MSRP for quite sometime on these things unless there is some major issue that emerges. First year I would expect a solid $10,000 market adjustment on anything out there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a feeling they will getting at least full MSRP for quite sometime on these things unless there is some major issue that emerges. First year I would expect a solid $10,000 market adjustment on anything out there.
View Quote
There is no doubt in my mind, short of major economic downturn C8's will be sold at full price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.

But what features are they really going to be able to lock to the higher trims? Ventilated seats, different wheels, and...?

It’s not like the base Corvette is going to have steelies or a radio that doesn’t have ACP/AA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is no doubt in my mind, short of major economic downturn C8's will be sold at full price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Counterpoint:

This is a mass production car coming off a line that can crank out 35k+ units a year.

There is a limited number of people that are able/willing to spend $60k on a two seat sports car.

Within a year or two, supply will catch up to demand.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All the C7s are eLSD. Never heard of an issue with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
e-lsd.

I have a vehicle with one, they suck...
All the C7s are eLSD. Never heard of an issue with them.
Actually, eLSD requires the Z51 package. Or GS, Z car.

The non-e rear does have problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Unless your Audi is 20 years old or something, I find that very difficult to believe.

One of the things reviewers are ripping the new Silverado for is having a very cheap interior, even in the expensive luxury trims. The new for 2019 Silverado is being ranked behind the 2015+ F-150 in that category, and both of those have been completely overshadowed by the new Ram 1500.

GM cut corners and cheaped out on their single most important product. I wouldn't have high hopes here.
View Quote
The new interiors on the GMC and Chevy trucks aren’t terrible. The problem is they are just slightly better (and worse in the base gauge cluster) than the previous generation. So essentially you have 2019/2020 truck with a 2014 interior. They are going to have to do a mid cycle refresh on the interior because once Ford comes out with their 2021 F150 they will be last in terms on interior quality. As it sits right now Ram is 1st,  GMC/Chevy/Ford 2nd and Toyota 3rd. At least that’s how I see them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Base
1lt $58990 Z51 $63990
2lt $63445 Z51  $68445
3lt $68735 Z51  $73735

That's the model with heated and cooled seats.  A must have with leather for me
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Corvette look like a cheap Lambo kit car and NOT A CORVETTE.  Would you accept a FWD Miata?  or a Mustang SUV?  fuck no, they should have CALLED IT SOMETHING ELSE
Camaro is dead in 4 years (no surprise when to get into one you need $40+ grand
Silverado looks like a fucking helmet

Yeah good job GM, golf clap.
View Quote
Go do some research on the Corvette and Zora it’s chief engineer and then get back to us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don’t think Ford is exactly excited about the Z06 C8, I’ll put  my money on the Z06 being comparable if not better than the GT
View Quote
I can’t wait for the ZR1 (Hopefully called Zora)

Even at 115-125k I really don’t think there will be much that will be able to touch it sub 500k.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Both of you must be boomers and who this article is directed towards. It’s hilarious, because it’s true and you two just proved it’s point.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Go do some research on the Corvette and Zora it’s chief engineer and then get back to us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Corvette look like a cheap Lambo kit car and NOT A CORVETTE.  Would you accept a FWD Miata?  or a Mustang SUV?  fuck no, they should have CALLED IT SOMETHING ELSE

The Mid-Engined Corvette Wouldn't Exist without Zora Arkus-Duntov

"...Despite these improvements, Arkus-Duntov was well aware of the limitations imposed by the Corvette's front-engine, rear-wheel-drive setup. In 1960, he introduced the CERV (Chevrolet Engineering Research Vehicle), a test vehicle with a mid-engine V-8, rear-wheel drive, and an open-wheel body."

You might even say the C8 is a dream realized.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"...Despite these improvements, Arkus-Duntov was well aware of the limitations imposed by the Corvette's front-engine, rear-wheel-drive setup. In 1960, he introduced the CERV (Chevrolet Engineering Research Vehicle), a test vehicle with a mid-engine V-8, rear-wheel drive, and an open-wheel body."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what it is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That seems the route to go. My original "design" was a 1LT, as my interior setup is pretty simple, but the HUD, cargo nets, and a few other package standard features are pretty nice on the 2LT. Also, doesn't appear you can get the front lift on the 1LT. I'm afraid to see how they're going to nickel and dime me on the exact build I want with the few small options.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Good read of a reporter going on a ride along with GM engineers...

MacDonald fires off a battery of upshifts, pointing out that the new eight-speed Tremec dual-clutch transmission provides everything the engineers had hoped for in a DCT, namely shift speed and response time. More important, there's no observable reduction in acceleration between shifts, and MacDonald says they are quick enough to be invisible to a 100-hertz data logger.

What's more, each tap of the paddles is met only with a muted blat from the exhaust as the next gear is engaged. It's a monumental advance from the previous torque-converter-equipped eight-speed planetary automatic, which can now be retired to the museum where it belongs. He demonstrates the DCT's effectiveness by whacking the left paddle three times in rapid succession, triggering three boldly rev-matched downshifts.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28440111/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-first-ride/
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Looking at the aero... I can't wait to see track times by pro drivers and see what's getting it's butt stomped by a 65,000 Corvette.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
2LT Z51 plus MSRC should cover all the performance bases.

Lots of appearance options to add if you want to spend silly money.  Check out the ordering document I posted.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 93 (that I had) was 215hp but forgot the torque. For the package it was quick but not super fast, the MR2’s strength was agility. Quick and agile was the rule.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

MacDonald fires off a battery of upshifts, pointing out that the new eight-speed Tremec dual-clutch transmission provides everything the engineers had hoped for in a DCT, namely shift speed and response time. More important, there's no observable reduction in acceleration between shifts, and MacDonald says they are quick enough to be invisible to a 100-hertz data logger.

What's more, each tap of the paddles is met only with a muted blat from the exhaust as the next gear is engaged. It's a monumental advance from the previous torque-converter-equipped eight-speed planetary automatic, which can now be retired to the museum where it belongs. He demonstrates the DCT's effectiveness by whacking the left paddle three times in rapid succession, triggering three boldly rev-matched downshifts.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28440111/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-first-ride/
View Quote
Welcome to the 21st century Corvette, finally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Saw this wide body render on IG. Mother of god

The aftermarket for this car will be crazy

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Something for the ZR1 version to aspire to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder what the first model year problems will be.

You know there has to be some, especially with such a radical change in design.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wonder what the first model year problems will be.

You know there has to be some, especially with such a radical change in design.
View Quote
The new canbus' complexity alone makes it a prime candidate for bugs.  Then there's the functional peculiarities of ME design that GM may or may not be familiar with.  These issues are where the benefits of early adopters come into play.

I really look forward to the ZR1 variant, but it's going to be at least 1-2 yrs out, so it'll be a long wait.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That seems the route to go. My original "design" was a 1LT, as my interior setup is pretty simple, but the HUD, cargo nets, and a few other package standard features are pretty nice on the 2LT. Also, doesn't appear you can get the front lift on the 1LT. I'm afraid to see how they're going to nickel and dime me on the exact build I want with the few small options.
View Quote
I want the HUD so 2LT is the minimum for me.  Either that or a HUD retrofit after purchase.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Micah Muzio Talks Cars and C8 | Savagegeese Podcast EP2

C8 Corvette discussion starts @ 36min SG's main criticism is aimed squarely at reliability.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I want the HUD so 2LT is the minimum for me.  Either that or a HUD retrofit after purchase.
View Quote
You could retrofit the HUD in a C6 (I did it),  bought my C7 with it.  Don't think it will be possible in the C8.

2LT also has front cameras on the C7, not sure about the C8
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Cool video explaining the engineering.

How The 2020 Corvette Achieves Its Fastest 0-60 Ever
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting article. I too wonder how many exuberant new 'Vette owners, wanna-be supercar pilots (guilty!) will come to grief at the wheel of this beast! I've driven some sweet mid-engine exotics pretty fast, but I haven't HAMMERED them and pushed the (MY!) envelope. I left traction control on and drove someone else's $300K car with the care of someone entrusted with such responsibility. But when you own the car yourself, and get complacent with its performance (and start to overestimate your abilities)… what will happen then? I predict some carnage out there on America's roads, and I predict that law enforcement may be looking at these things with maybe a slightly sharper eye regarding speed infractions. But none of that is new.

The end of the article:

You'd Better Have Fast Hands

And that's the thing no one is saying yet: the point that not a single Corvette engineer or, for that matter, a single Chevy representative, is talking about. A mid-engined Corvette is probably a harder-to-drive Corvette. Moving mass to the middle means the need for faster hands is real and that catching a less stable car requires quicker reactions. It's the double-edged sword of physics, the potential burden of a nimbler Corvette. But it probably won't be. The reality is that the Corvette team is filled with capable, invested engineers armed with the massive technological might of The General. They will, no doubt, tune the C8's Performance Traction Management to eke every last bit of grip and balance from its newly athletic chassis. They will make it save the overenthusiastic asses of thousands of Americans while sparing YouTube viewers the hassle of millions of disparaging comments. The C8, in ways different and better than the C7 before it, will likely be a remarkable car. At least it seems so from the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You could retrofit the HUD in a C6 (I did it),  bought my C7 with it.  Don't think it will be possible in the C8.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I retrofitted a HUD in my C6.  But it's like Atari graphics.  You could also retrofit the C7 but it was a huge PITA.  It will probably be possible in the C8 as well but be an even bigger PITA, is my bet.

Usually the electronics are there just need the projector wiring harness and controls.  It's cheaper for GM to make one circuit board then to make multiple that are missing the required circuits.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top