Quoted:
You know I wasn't talking to you. Lol
View Quote
Sometimes I have to just rub it in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a little disappointing. My V6 4-door sedan (really holds 4 adults, not 2 adults + 2 midgets) does 191 stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
194 mph stock?
That is a little disappointing. My V6 4-door sedan (really holds 4 adults, not 2 adults + 2 midgets) does 191 stock.
Alfa?

And your's still probably cost more as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People who buy a Mclaren aren't buying the car for it's performance.  The fact that a man of relatively modest means can own a C8 corvette, is why they won't buy a C8.

An oil change on a Mclaren F1 is around $8,000, and it'll cost you about $30k per year to maintain.  They're expensive as hell to buy, and expensive as hell to own, and everyone knows that.  That's why people buy McLarens.  
View Quote
The rub is that if the Vette has comparable/competitive performance #s & claims race victories, then the luster of that exclusivity starts wearing off a little, & it doesn't look so cool to blow essentially an order of magnitude more $ for what's supposed to be a performance car if it can't beat the nonexclusive "everyman" performance car.  For context, imagine if a Civic was able to equal or even best a Vette...

2020 IMSA series is going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You’re going to need to provide some evidence.
View Quote
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
505 HP, 443 LB-FT of Torque, 191 Top Speed, 3.8 0-60, $73,995

I expected the new mid-engine Corvette, a 2-seat sports car to break 200 mph.
I was wrong on one detail about the Alfa.  It technically holds 5 passengers, not 4.  I wouldn't put more than 4 full size adults in it though.

Click here for specifications

Mine is blue
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was wrong on one detail about the Alfa.  It technically holds 5 passengers, not 4.  I wouldn't put more than 4 full size adults in it though.

Mine is blue
https://i.imgur.com/MLQQmgt.jpg
View Quote
How long has it been in the shop?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
These are not the Alfa's of the 1980's.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio has had oil changes and a flat tire.  The Stelvio has had oil changes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is blue
https://i.imgur.com/MLQQmgt.jpg
Wasn't it Car & Driver that said they really wanted to love the Alfa but it was basically a POS?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wasn't it Car & Driver that said they really wanted to love the Alfa but it was basically a POS?
View Quote
Yep!

My friend’s Guilia with the lowly 2.0t made it roughly 30k miles before having a bottom end issue, warranty engine replacement. Took nearly 90 days to complete
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mine is blue
View Quote
So hot
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Rolled next to this one in traffic yesterday. Amazing looking vehicle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36516/25352C03-CFA1-44D8-B101-712FB89AE323_jpeg-1057466.JPG
View Quote
Kinda looks like a lightly camouflaged hard top convertible.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen one in the wild yet.  It does look pretty cool.

I wonder what upgrades they will introduce later.  You know the $60k base model is not all they have planned.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't seen one in the wild yet.  It does look pretty cool.

I wonder what upgrades they will introduce later.  You know the $60k base model is not all they have planned.
View Quote
I bet they can't let Ford be the only ones with carbon fiber wheels.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is fucking awesome!  

... the cynical side of me wonders if there will be a price hike next year.  Maybe they are willing to sell at a loss for a year, just to keep their promise and to get the buzz/hope out there.

Regardless, that is awesome.
View Quote
Probably. They’ll change and add a few things, and blame the price hike on those. But even at $65,000, they won’t be loosing any potential customers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Considering Koenigseggisengisenngggg patented the process of making Carbon fiber wheels, the process is licensed to make the wheel from them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36516/25352C03-CFA1-44D8-B101-712FB89AE323_jpeg-1057466.JPG
Good eye, I meant to mention that. Top was still camo’d, and there’s a mesh screen across that back window area.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#17]
The C8, with it's ME layout Looks great on paper and with promo cars popping up everywhere in public, but I won't be surprised if there are some significant issues when it finally lands in that hands of real customers in 2020.

That said... We can be 99.95% confidant that this vehicle will end up being everything many of us have hoped for.

Has there ever been a Corvette that was a complete flop? For arguments sake, let's just look at from the C5 onward. Sure, there have been some bad years (push rods, cooling, etc), but GM has always engineered fixes that find their way into subsequent model years. So even if we see problems with the 2020 C8 base, I'd bet that the 2022-?? base models are going to be excellent vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Considering Koenigseggisengisenngggg patented the process of making Carbon fiber wheels, the process is licensed to make the wheel from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn’t it an $18,000 option (carbon track pack) on the gt500
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People who buy a Mclaren aren't buying the car for it's performance.  The fact that a man of relatively modest means can own a C8 corvette, is why they won't buy a C8.

An oil change on a Mclaren F1 is around $8,000, and it'll cost you about $30k per year to maintain.
 They're expensive as hell to buy, and expensive as hell to own, and everyone knows that.  That's why people buy McLarens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Oh yeah! I forgot. I’m gonna pay another hundred grand to get walked on the highway by some good ol’ boy named Cleatus and his fat brother Roy!”

An oil change on a Mclaren F1 is around $8,000, and it'll cost you about $30k per year to maintain.
 They're expensive as hell to buy, and expensive as hell to own, and everyone knows that.  That's why people buy McLarens.
you know those prices are just made up by the dealers right?

Just like the oil change on the bugattis.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The GT350r wheels are $4k a piece. Don’t curb them!
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Oh yeah! I forgot. I’m gonna pay another hundred grand to get walked on the highway by some good ol’ boy named Cleatus and his fat brother Roy!”

You do realize you can't pop into your local Jiffy Lube and get an oil change on one right?

99% of the people out there couldn't even do it themselves if they wanted to.  Have you actually watched the video's of what it takes on the Bugatti?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it's the first production car offered with them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there any video of this thing actually going down a road??? Or better yet, around a track?

So far, it's only been youtube thumbnails, and show pony static displays.

Does this thing even drive?

I wan't to see one doing what it do dammit!
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there any video of this thing actually going down a road??? Or better yet, around a track?

View Quote
Have you been living under a rock?

https://www.google.com/search?q=C8+track+footage&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR04Sgp4rkAhXxg-AKHWaABUoQ_AUIESgB&biw=2195&bih=1125
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is a guy who saw one and took a picture of it on this very page of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you been living under a rock?

https://www.google.com/search?q=C8+track+footage&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR04Sgp4rkAhXxg-AKHWaABUoQ_AUIESgB&biw=2195&bih=1125
And one's already been wrecked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the TFL episode comparing the GT to the GT500 and I thought Andre said it was an $18,000 adder. He also picked the GT500 at the end.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Source?  Carbon fiber wheels have been around the motorcycle world for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Source?  Carbon fiber wheels have been around the motorcycle world for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

https://www.koenigsegg.com/innovations/

https://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-reinvents-wheel/
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]
But can it do 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds and less than 800’?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Why does a patent from Koenigsegg apply to a US manufacturer? Honest question.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are absolutely right. I saw a YouTube video showing it and that’s it. Nice catch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why does a patent from Koenigsegg apply to a US manufacturer? Honest question.
View Quote
Apply your question the other way around. Is it fair for a U.S. company to spend the money and time acquiring talent and doing R&D on a product/ process and then have someone in Australia copy and sell it for a fraction of the investment, and undermine your ability to profit as you have to make up for the investment they don't by charging more.

Same thing.

Granted the Chinese just ignore all patient laws but that's China for you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Apply your question the other way around. Is it fair for a U.S. company to spend the money and time acquiring talent and doing R&D on a product/ process and then have someone in Australia copy and sell it for a fraction of the investment, and undermine your ability to profit as you have to make up for the investment they don't by charging more.

Same thing.

View Quote
Granted that time and money was spent on R&D, yea, I see little issue with that. Should we uphold all claims to patents from every country in the world? We at least have laws to help regulate some of the issues that come from patents like with patent expiration, but who knows what other countries are doing.

I don't want to see carbon fiber stuff be locked behind incredibly expensive patents for the rest of my life, that's all. The wheels make a huge difference considering the rotational unsprung mass.

Though, my problem is probably more along the lines of there already being some sort of regulatory agreement between nations that I don't know about.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You do realize you can't pop into your local Jiffy Lube and get an oil change on one right?

99% of the people out there couldn't even do it themselves if they wanted to.  Have you actually watched the video's of what it takes on the Bugatti?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which seems like such bullshit. It’s oil. It is not hard even in a complicated car to make a drain plug and filler cap somewhere accessible............. except, bad shit can happen.

My friends Jaguar F-Type R got its oil changed at the dealer. Apparently there are warnings all over the car about not overfilling the oil. The dealership overfilled the oil. Engine blew in less than 100 miles. Jaguar replaced the engine since it was their fault. But damn.

My friend got rid of it because he said the new engine did not feel the same.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NIevo

Yes I have. It's a dry sump that has coolers all over the chassis on the Bug.

And yes I could do it....I've listed my creds before...but to give you an idea, by the time I was 12, I was machining my own high performance marine engines and rebuilding them and doing port work. I am lucky as I am a scion when it came to stuff like that.

Given that, they way they do it is fucking stupid.

They are literally unnecessarily removing very very expensive pieces of the car just to access the plugs.

What they should be doing is using a system that manually forces new oil through the system while the old oil drains out one plug.

Sure, they may go through a few gallons of oil, but you are not risking damaging pieces of CF that are thousands of dollars.

It's essentially is like flushing a trans....so after you take your calc of what came out and what you put in. You check the level and run the car. Then you take a sample.

Send it off overnight and by the next day you will get your TBN # telling you how much good oil you have versus old oil. If it checks out, your GTG.

You have saved labor and mitigated risks.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same thing.

View Quote
Well ford did that exactly. They contracted an australian company to make carbon fiber wheels for the gt350 for people who want them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@NIevo

And yes I could do it....I've listed my creds before...but to give you an idea, by the time I was 12, I was machining my own high performance marine engines and rebuilding them and doing port work. I am lucky as I am a scion when it came to stuff like that.

They are literally unnecessarily removing very very expensive pieces of the car just to access the plugs.

What they should be doing is using a system that manually forces new oil through the system while the old oil drains out one plug.

Sure, they may go through a few gallons of oil, but you are not risking damaging pieces of CF that are thousands of dollars.

It's essentially is like flushing a trans....so after you take your calc of what came out and what you put in. You check the level and run the car. Then you take a sample.

Send it off overnight and by the next day you will get your TBN # telling you how much good oil you have versus old oil. If it checks out, your GTG.

View Quote
It seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice it wouldn't work - if your goal is a complete exchange of oil or even a mostly complete exchange.

They have so many drain plugs because of the way the system is plumbed. If you were to hook up a pressure system to force fresh oil in and old out, there would be many, many areas where that detla V doesn't reach (and cannot reach) so no oil would be exchanged.

We use that technique on some race cars because it makes it simple and does well enough. But it wouldn't work on that specific car. They have a shit ton of drain plugs for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice it wouldn't work - if your goal is a complete exchange of oil or even a mostly complete exchange.

They have so many drain plugs because of the way the system is plumbed. If you were to hook up a pressure system to force fresh oil in and old out, there would be many, many areas where that detla V doesn't reach (and cannot reach) so no oil would be exchanged.

We use that technique on some race cars because it makes it simple and does well enough. But it wouldn't work on that specific car. They have a shit ton of drain plugs for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NIevo

Say that you can drain at max 50% of the oil volume from the best accessible plug.

1) drain
2) fill
3) run engine for a few minutes to mix old and new oil
4) repeat

In eight volumes of oil (which is only four full oil changes), you have 0.4% of the old oil left.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Say that you can drain at max 50% of the oil volume from the best accessible plug.

1) drain
2) fill
3) run engine for a few minutes to mix old and new oil
4) repeat

In eight volumes of oil (which is only four full oil changes), you have 0.4% of the old oil left.
View Quote
I mean you could do it that way. Might end up being even more costly than the standard factory approved method, that's even if you could get 50% of the volume out by draining one plug.

Luckily I don't have to concern myself with a veyron oil change. Lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#41]
A month after the release and we're still talking about this car on a site that is firearm-centric is news in an of itself.

The car sites/blogs are still running stories, youtube goons are still talking about the C8. When was the last time any manufacture generated this much (mostly positive) press with the release of a design?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A month after the release and we're still talking about this car on a site that is firearm-centric is news in an of itself.

The car sites/blogs are still running stories, youtube goons are still talking about the C8. When was the last time any manufacture generated this much (mostly positive) press with the release of a design?
View Quote
The early/mid 80s were the same way with the C4, I know most dont like that one but it was really ground breaking at the time and the sales went through the roof for a couple years. Thats really the last time I remember any car generating this much excitement.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and they are.  They look and feel like a base model Mitsubishi rental fleet car, and rattle like on too.  It’s really bad.  It’s really really bad for an $80,000 car. I like their style inside and out, but going from pictures to an in person experience was a let down for me.

The new SUV and sedan are fast as hell though in full loaded trim.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Conv test mule

In comments
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#45]
C8 dealer tour list by state

Looks like GM is continuing the chopped look. Not so good for 6+ footers

(Not me, some random guy from above link)

No idea on headroom specs, but 15-20 odd yrs ago had truck in for svc, sat in vette in showroom and negative headroom (I'm 6'3"). Sales guy said "oh just lean the seat back". Neat. I want to look at the ceiling when I drive. No idea if C8 is better or worse, but seeing the GM Camaro styling mindset, not optimistic.

ETA: that pic screams, no, howls "midlife crisis".
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm 6' 2" and had no issues with headroom in my C5. Daily drove it for 8 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm 6' 2" and had no issues with headroom in my C5. Daily drove it for 8 years.
View Quote
I'm 6"4" and daily drive my C7

On the C8 note, while I have a deposit (refundable) and a place in late 2020 production I've decided to hold out for the convertible and will likely be picking up a 2019 Z06, new, for $69K next week.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
C8 dealer tour list by state

Looks like GM is continuing the chopped look. Not so good for 6+ footers

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/968x750/img_1777_f9fb8279f174594db96bc13e8be3a907ab6fadc9.jpg

(Not me, some random guy from above link)

No idea on headroom specs, but 15-20 odd yrs ago had truck in for svc, sat in vette in showroom and negative headroom (I'm 6'3"). Sales guy said "oh just lean the seat back". Neat. I want to look at the ceiling when I drive. No idea if C8 is better or worse, but seeing the GM Camaro styling mindset, not optimistic.

ETA: that pic screams, no, howls "midlife crisis".
View Quote
There is a video where a reviewer who claims to be 6'6" sits in one with the top on and has room to spare.  Legs are a little cramped but his head doesn't hit.    I think the C8 is an improvement over the C7 in head room, the C7 is tight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is a video where a reviewer who claims to be 6'6" sits in one with the top on and has room to spare.  Legs are a little cramped but his head doesn't hit.    I think the C8 is an improvement over the C7 in head room, the C7 is tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the guy who posted the pic, when asked about it:

I'm 6'3' 255. It does look tight, but I wasn't able to adjust the seats since the battery was disconnected. The passenger seat was lower. Supposed to have more room than the C7, and over the last 5 years, I never felt that I was brushing the rooftop.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#50]
They patented a specific process. CF wheels have been out a lot longer.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top