Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/16/2015 9:45:16 PM EDT
There is no fucking way.  I'd be cutting those locks off.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/north-highlands-neighborhood-says-hoa-abruptly-locked-water-spigots-citing-costs/

NORTH HIGHLANDS (CBS13) — Residents in a North Highlands neighborhood woke up to find locks on their water spigots after their homeowners association turned off some of its water without warning.
Mike Louden is retired and loves tinkering in his drought-resistant garden. But he says his roses are in jeopardy.
“I hate to see it die. I spent all these years keeping it going,” he said.
Louden and his neighbors woke up on Thursday to find locks on their water spigots. He says the HOA cut them off without warning.
“There’s no water in there whatsoever. They turned the water off also,” he said.
“If we’re supposed to limit our water use even more then let us know before you lock us out,” said resident Maritza Carouth.
But the HOA tells CBS13 the residents’ water wasting is sending the association’s utility bill through the roof. It says it had to borrow money from its reserves to pay a water bill that was $65,000 over budget.
Some examples it cites are over-washing cars, filling children’s wading pools and spraying down sidewalks. The association also claims 75 percent of the tenants are renters who are not conservation conscious.
“That’s absolutely nothing to do with me,” Louden said.
He owns his home and says he’s not a water waster. He feels he and his roses should not fall victim to irresponsible neighbors.
“I pay $200 in association dues, and they say not everybody pays,” he said. “I pay.”
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas and that water systems inside the homes are not affected.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If the Association is paying for the water, that means that this must be condos or townhouses, not individual houses.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the Association is paying for the water, that means that this must be condos or townhouses, not individual houses.
View Quote

This was suppose to be a CA hate thread!

HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!! HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Huh hard to believe the hoa agreements says they can do that  
View Quote

It's most likely a spigot in the common area that people use to water the plants and stuff that they have on their terraces.  It may have been allowed in the past, but with the water prices going up they put a stop to it.  The man in the article can use a watering can for his roses like everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol, what lock? I don't remember seeing a lock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what it looks like from the videos.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]

This...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, this guy keeps posting threads with clickbait titles.  I said so in the one he made a couple hours ago, but it seems like he never even returns to the thread after he makes them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does not sound like the residents owned the spigots.  It says that are in a common area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like some kind of mix of condos and standalones in a managed community.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.hardcasesurvival.com/bogota-ti-lock-picks-6pc/

Really easy to use

And that is a really chump lock
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not fill a watering can in your kitchen sink, then carry it to your garden?

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
its their new fundraising tactic. Shut off the water then fine everyone for dead lawns
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]

THIS
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, this guy keeps posting threads with clickbait titles.  I said so in the one he made a couple hours ago, but it seems like he never even returns to the thread after he makes them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half of the time this guy's threads report the news to me. I don't realize they are his until I click.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

He ain't that worried about those damn roses
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
California

HOA

ZFG
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
It says it had to borrow money from its reserves to pay a water bill that was $65,000 over budget.
Some examples it cites are over-washing cars, filling children’s wading pools and spraying down sidewalks. The association also claims 75 percent of the tenants are renters who are not conservation conscious.
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas

Good lockout.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Probably a PUD - claiming spigots are common area and HOA pays the bills. Given that, they may have the authority. Without the underlying...who knows.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]

This.......
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Or patio homes, I lived in one in Co. that had almost 40 acres of grass, and the HOA was responsible for all the landscaping.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

1)  HOA's suck.
2)  Never live in an HOA
3)  I live in an HOA
4)  I am the President of our HOA
5)  We have plans to do the same thing: put locks on the spigots around the complex to eliminate water waste by residents
6)  While it hasn't been tested, we (the board) believe this to be totally legal and within the rights of the board to take action.

ETA:  We're in the midst of a serious (no joke) drought here.  We have had numerous community meetings asking residents to curtail their usage.  They don't.  We see (mostly the renters) WASTING water like there is no end to it....washing their garage doors with a hose....having their kids have 'water fights'....washing their sidewalks with a hose (use a fucking broom, assholes...)....kiddie pools...washing cars (already prohibited in HOA CC&R's).  Our water bill last year was over 300% of our normal budget.  This put us into a higher tier for billing with the DWP, and our bill went through the literal roof.  The board pays the DWP bill.  We had to pay it from our reserve account and then were forced (we our obligated by our fiduciary responsibility) to make an assessment (paid by all the owners) to cover the shortage.  

I don't have kids.  I don't particularly want to pay more every month so some renter can have his kids have water balloon fights.

DON'T LIVE IN AN HOA...............this was my first home and I didn't know any better.  NEVER AGAIN.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I never return.    since you're so unhappy with my threads, stop visiting them.  You've been here for all of 2 hours, and act like you know me.  GTFO.

Oh, and welcome back.  In before you seem familiar
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's California.   That much movement would generate too much co2.     Carbon credits don't grow on trees!

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can....but people are lazy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Read the article; good lock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fail

not all states set HOA up the same way

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Molon Labe
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Read the article; good lock.
View Quote

Yep, HOA forked out 65k for common area water usage. With the drought, if you want water, get a plumper to put you a spigot outside your crib.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Yea, sounds like they did the "right thing".

Next it sounds like it's time for the HOA to collect all dues owed to it so the ones who are paying are not covering freeloaders.

Then, sounds like homeboy needs to buy a bucket and fill it up in the tub if he can't use the community water which has been abuse.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I would call up the maintenance people who handle fixing stuff outside the house, and have them cut off the locks.  Simple.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, fuck, since you "said so".......

What the fuck, Medicfrost?

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Derptastic "community water".
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because then they would have to pay for it,
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Just put a bucket in the shower and after you shower use the gray water to irrigate.  People are too lazy nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
The spigot and water don't belong to the homeowner.  It may sting a bit - but no real foul.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would call up the maintenance people who handle fixing stuff outside the house, and have them cut off the locks.  Simple.
View Quote

You mean the guys that put them on?  yeah that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Shim it open with a piece of sheet metal.  Water all of your shit, and then put the lock back on.  Play dumb with the HOA.

Or, just run a hose from an indoor faucet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Uh, noooooope.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:11:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It says it had to borrow money from its reserves to pay a water bill that was $65,000 over budget.
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas

Good lockout.
View Quote

This.

It's not like they went to individually owned single family homes and padlocked the spigot.

I can't believe they even had that to begin with.

Every apartment complex I lived at didn't even have a common spigot, for the very reason this article points out:  if people aren't paying for it, they don't care about wasting it needlessly, or abusing the option.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]
What we've got here is failure to communicate
Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it.

Well he gets it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause freedom??
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#50]
i have no idea why people tolerate fucking HOAs. It's like voluntarily living in a totalitarian state....all you do is change the titles of the people 'in charge'. I don't even think the Nazis had laws about what color you painted your house, or what type of shingles you could use. They wouldn't ban flag poles / german flags either. HOAs do though. Fuck those MFers. I'd rather live in a 'hood that made 1980s Beirut seem calm than live in an HOA. I'd rather live in a Detroit hood with a whore house to the left and a crack house to the right. If every house in America was ruled by an HOA, I'd buy a motorhome. Fuck that shit with a rusty hatchet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top