Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid, and the power company would turn our electricity off, I quickly learned how to cut the disposable lock off, pull the meter, and remove the plastic insulators off of the prongs to turn the power back on. For a while we even had a meter that would run backwards when inserted upside down, as long as we made sure not to let it run into the negative we'd get away with it. Nowadays the meters are electric, digital and usually the prongs are offset in such a way that it can't be inserted backwards.

Good thing I'm not a poor kid living with a single mom in Phx any more...
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i have no idea why people tolerate fucking HOAs. It's like voluntarily living in a totalitarian state....all you do is change the titles of the people 'in charge'. I don't even think the Nazis had laws about what color you painted your house, or what type of shingles you could use. They wouldn't ban flag poles / german flags either. HOAs do though. Fuck those MFers. I'd rather live in a 'hood that made 1980s Beirut seem calm than live in an HOA. I'd rather live in a Detroit hood with a whore house to the left and a crack house to the right. If every house in America was ruled by an HOA, I'd buy a motorhome. Fuck that shit with a rusty hatchet.
View Quote
LOL you say that.

Have you ever lived in conditions like that?  Based on your post, I'm guessing not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It's neat how few people seem to read before posting. Reinforces my belief that certain members are engaging in "social experiments" with their threads.

Not directed at you medicfrost, your good to go in my book.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, lets all water useless fucking plants in the middle of the biggest drought ever...

Sounds like a fine idea to me..

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the Association is paying for the water, that means that this must be condos or townhouses, not individual houses.

View Quote

Not true.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

It's not like they went to individually owned single family homes and padlocked the spigot.

I can't believe they even had that to begin with.

Every apartment complex I lived at didn't even have a common spigot, for the very reason this article points out:  if people aren't paying for it, they don't care about wasting it needlessly, or abusing the option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It says it had to borrow money from its reserves to pay a water bill that was $65,000 over budget.
Some examples it cites are over-washing cars, filling children’s wading pools and spraying down sidewalks. The association also claims 75 percent of the tenants are renters who are not conservation conscious.
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas

Good lockout.

This.

It's not like they went to individually owned single family homes and padlocked the spigot.

I can't believe they even had that to begin with.

Every apartment complex I lived at didn't even have a common spigot, for the very reason this article points out:  if people aren't paying for it, they don't care about wasting it needlessly, or abusing the option.

My condominium has spigots all over, but they are for the building/landscape.  The rules say not to use the water for washing cars.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the Association is paying for the water, that means that this must be condos or townhouses, not individual houses.

Not true.

It actually IS true.  Not only in this exact situation, but all others.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Why anyone would not do some research the bylaws of their HOA is beyond me.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup, I never return.    since you're so unhappy with my threads, stop visiting them.  You've been here for all of 2 hours, and act like you know me.  GTFO.

Oh, and welcome back.  In before you seem familiar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was suppose to be a CA hate thread!

HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!! HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!!

Yeah, this guy keeps posting threads with clickbait titles.  I said so in the one he made a couple hours ago, but it seems like he never even returns to the thread after he makes them.

Yup, I never return.    since you're so unhappy with my threads, stop visiting them.  You've been here for all of 2 hours, and act like you know me.  GTFO.

Oh, and welcome back.  In before you seem familiar

No shit.  

http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=434474

Seems pretty suspicious.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol, what lock? I don't remember seeing a lock.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from the article...
“There’s no water in there whatsoever. They turned the water off also,” he said.

Sounds like cutting the locks off might be a satisfying, but ultimately useless, FU gesture, since the HOA has had the water turned off. Not sure why they bothered with putting locks on the spigots, unless they wanted to deliver a satisfying FU gesture to the tenants.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, this guy keeps posting threads with clickbait titles.  I said so in the one he made a couple hours ago, but it seems like he never even returns to the thread after he makes them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was suppose to be a CA hate thread!

HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!! HAARRUMMMPPHHHH!!!!!

Will I get banned for saying Medicfrost thread?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#13]
That is hilarious, because Sacramento & surrounding ares are some of the worst water wasters in crap O' fornia.

Half of Sacramento has no meters at all, and pays a flat 42 bucks a month:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/04/10/nearly-half-of-sacramento-homes-have-no-water-meters/

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh this is in CA?  Don't care.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cause freedom??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not fill a watering can in your kitchen sink, then carry it to your garden?

Cause freedom??

Freedom to what?  Waste other people's money to water your own roses?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The clickbait thread title was to fool people into thinking that an HOA was going around and locking the spigots on people's free-standing houses that they own.  

The reality of it is that this is a condominium association and the owners of the units only own the "air inside" and the rest of the building is common element.  The spigots are supplied by the association.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol the residents use excess water to the tune of $65,000. Take action to prevent it and then the people bitch it could be worse they could have slapped them with a special assessment and jacked up the dues to pay for it. Don't get me wrong I Despise HOAs and would never live in one but they aren't wrong here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The clickbait thread title was to fool people into thinking that an HOA was going around and locking the spigots on people's free-standing houses that they own.  

The reality of it is that this is a condominium association and the owners of the units only own the "air inside" and the rest of the building is common element.  The spigots are supplied by the association.
View Quote

What's your other screen name?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
When condos become rentals they go downhill pretty fast.  Renters won't pay attention to rules because it's owners who are fined or otherwise sanctioned for their violations.  

Maybe some exceptions like luxury condos.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

from the article...

Sounds like cutting the locks off might be a satisfying, but ultimately useless, FU gesture, since the HOA has had the water turned off. Not sure why they bothered with putting locks on the spigots, unless they wanted to deliver a satisfying FU gesture to the tenants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

from the article...
“There’s no water in there whatsoever. They turned the water off also,” he said.

They may turn them on when crews are doing landscape work.  They're likely doing SOME irrigation and want to control it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol the residents use excess water to the tune of $65,000. Take action to prevent it and then the people bitch it could be worse they could have slapped them with a special assessment and jacked up the dues to pay for it. Don't get me wrong I Despise HOAs and would never live in one but they aren't wrong here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the CC&R's for most HOA's are rather a bit thick and dense for most people....If you're not a lawyer, at best most people just glance at them
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When condos become rentals they go downhill pretty fast.  Renters won't pay attention to rules because it's owners who are fined or otherwise sanctioned for their violations.  

View Quote

What do you base this off of?

In my experience, most condo associations allow the unit owners to rent their unit out.  I have never seen that effect the value of the condo.

Sure, if there is garbage all over the place and degenerate looking people all over, it will effect the value.  But barring that, the ability to rent out a condo will increase it's value, not decrease it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times are you going to ask me the same question?  It's not witty or funny.  It's already been proven that I have never had any other username here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In my experience, most condo associations allow the unit owners to rent their unit out.  I have never seen that effect the value of the condo.

Sure, if there is garbage all over the place and degenerate looking people all over, it will effect the value.  But barring that, the ability to rent out a condo will increase it's value, not decrease it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for one, mortgage companies will skew the value of a condo based  on the percentage of units that are being rented vs. units occupied by owners.

Two, 'pride-in-ownership'.......renters have none.  Renters often are the biggest rule breakers, and source of the most issues pertaining to "right to quiet enjoyment"
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well for one, mortgage companies will skew the value of a condo based  on the percentage of units that are being rented vs. units occupied by owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the mortgage company appraises the place for is pretty meaningless.  As long as you are putting enough down, it doesn't matter at all.

Two, 'pride-in-ownership'.......renters have none.  Renters often are the biggest rule breakers, and source of the most issues pertaining to "right to quiet enjoyment"
Again, this does not effect the value unless these lower class people are actually outside doing their dirty deeds when the perspective buyer comes to look at the place.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not fill a watering can in your kitchen sink, then carry it to your garden?

It's also really easy to hook up a split valve to a washing machine feed and run a hose outside from it. You can also put a threaded connector to almost any faucet inside your house. It's a small hassle, but, definitely an easy work around.

Edit: Worth repeating.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://www.hardcasesurvival.com/bogota-ti-lock-picks-6pc/

Really easy to use

And that is a really chump lock
View Quote
95$ for a 6 peice set? F that...

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 What the mortgage company appraises the place for is pretty meaningless.  As long as you are putting enough down, it doesn't matter at all.

Again, this does not effect the value unless these lower class people are actually outside doing their dirty deeds when the perspective buyer comes to look at the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter?  No, not unless you want to buy or sell.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You mean the guys that put them on?  yeah that's a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would call up the maintenance people who handle fixing stuff outside the house, and have them cut off the locks.  Simple.

You mean the guys that put them on?  yeah that's a good idea.

It is actually, Every time they ever do anything for me, I slip then a hundred.  Some of those guys would happily do damn near anything I asked of them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
id solder a spigot under the kitchen sink, and get a hose.  run hot water too.  more energy wasted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Interesting.

Are residents' yards defined as common areas in this HOA?

If so, GD should consider the implications of that.  These people bought houses in a place where their yard is not their property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no fucking way.  I'd be cutting those locks off.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/north-highlands-neighborhood-says-hoa-abruptly-locked-water-spigots-citing-costs/

NORTH HIGHLANDS (CBS13) — Residents in a North Highlands neighborhood woke up to find locks on their water spigots after their homeowners association turned off some of its water without warning.
Mike Louden is retired and loves tinkering in his drought-resistant garden. But he says his roses are in jeopardy.
"I hate to see it die. I spent all these years keeping it going,” he said.
Louden and his neighbors woke up on Thursday to find locks on their water spigots. He says the HOA cut them off without warning.
"There’s no water in there whatsoever. They turned the water off also,” he said.
"If we’re supposed to limit our water use even more then let us know before you lock us out,” said resident Maritza Carouth.
But the HOA tells CBS13 the residents’ water wasting is sending the association’s utility bill through the roof. It says it had to borrow money from its reserves to pay a water bill that was $65,000 over budget.
Some examples it cites are over-washing cars, filling children’s wading pools and spraying down sidewalks. The association also claims 75 percent of the tenants are renters who are not conservation conscious.
"That’s absolutely nothing to do with me,” Louden said.
He owns his home and says he’s not a water waster. He feels he and his roses should not fall victim to irresponsible neighbors.
"I pay $200 in association dues, and they say not everybody pays,” he said. "I pay.”
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas and that water systems inside the homes are not affected.

Interesting.

Are residents' yards defined as common areas in this HOA?

If so, GD should consider the implications of that.  These people bought houses in a place where their yard is not their property.

That's what makes me think these are townhouses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
One well placed cigarette butt will end that policy in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, you are talking in circles.

For the last time, the ability to rent a condo increases the value, it does not decrease it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How many times are you going to ask me the same question?  It's not witty or funny.  It's already been proven that I have never had any other username here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just signed up yesterday and you have already posted 95 times?

Yeah, suuuurrrrrrrrre.........

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I would be hard pressed not to respond violently to folks padlocking any goddamn thing on my home.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would be hard pressed not to respond violently to folks padlocking any goddamn thing on my home.
View Quote

It's not their home.  Read the fucking thread.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/Variable556/7d293a747a197ba9f4cab600d489bad3_zpsvzpev18r.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/Variable556/7d293a747a197ba9f4cab600d489bad3_zpsvzpev18r.jpg

You don't believe it?  Are they fake posts?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He owns his home and says he’s not a water waster. He feels he and his roses should not fall victim to irresponsible neighbors.
“I pay $200 in association dues, and they say not everybody pays,” he said. “I pay.”
The HOA says the locked spigots are in the outdoor common areas and that water systems inside the homes are not affected.
View Quote

Welcome to socialism!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what was your previous username?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, John.  But that was a different forum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For the last time, the ability to rent a condo increases the value, it does not decrease it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a promise?  Because you post like a troll.  I don't suppose you deal much in the LA real estate market?  Regardless, while the the ability to rent a unit may make it more desirable to a buyer, the fact remains that condos with an over abundance or units occupied by renters LOWERS the value of the property, and can adversely effect not only a buyers ability to acquire financing, but also a sellers ability to maximize their profit.  That's life in the real world.  I'm not sure what world you live in, but thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Double post.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is that a promise?  Because you post like a troll.
View Quote

His other screen name is probably more polite.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#48]
LOL.  California.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL.  California.
View Quote

Said the guy living in the desert of Arizona?  Seriously??

ETA: Glass houses, and how they work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I cannot blame the HOA for doing this.

They are working in the best interest of the Member/unit owners.

The renters dont give a shit. Biut the local water company along with county and state officials can fine the HOA up into the hundreds of thousand and combined into the millions of dollars.

Worst case scenerio is they shut off the water as they are doing to other private communities and small towns.

Lets face it. The State needs the water for their public buildings lawns since they are exempted from laws..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top