Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/8/2018 8:42:01 AM EDT
California to add recycled sewer water to the state reservoirs

California’s water regulation agency approved new measures Tuesday that will allow recycled water – water that once ran through the sewers – to be added to the state’s reservoirs, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The new rules are expected to be implemented by 2023.

"This is a type of indirect potable use — it's not treated recycle water that goes directly to someone's house," said Miryam Barajas at the Water Board. "It's highly treated."

She says the new regulations could potentially affect all 36 of California’s reservoirs that serve as the main source of the state’s municipal drinking water.
View Quote
The term "It's highly treated." coming from their water board should be a red flag for Californians that you are about eat shit, well drink it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've said CA can eat shit
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
They will fuck up and dump E. coli into the reservoirs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You know if you have a septic and a well you're pretty much drinking and cooking and bathing with recycled gray water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]
So they'll be even MORE full of shit?

Land of fruits and nuts might get a little nuttier hahaha
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Been telling CA to eat shit for years. Looks like they're finally going to do it
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
By law, sewer effluent has to be safe.

Doesn't mean heavy rainfall can't cause bypasses resulting in untreated water being discharged into rivers and streams.

Bypasses are self-reported and you know utility operators will be completely honest.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Cali just needs to 'buy' even more water from out of state to relieve the need to use cleaned-up piss water. Problem solved...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#9]
You want zombies?  Because this is how you get zombies
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
All water is recycled water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
View Quote
I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't wait for 30 years to pass and the infrastructure to fail because it was never properly maintained or replaced. "Oh it's perfectly safe to drink shit water".....Uh huh, as long as EVERYTHING IS DONE EXACTLY RIGHT, all procedures are followed and the equipment is working as it should.....like in Flint, Michigan and the Oroville Dam.....

Enjoy your shit water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Literally Full of SHIT
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Non-issue.  The water leaving our sewer plants is much, much cleaner than the stream it goes into.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#16]
This type of process is not uncommon. City A discharges treated sewer water into river. Some miles downstream City B pulls river water into water plant, treats it, then sends it straight to your kitchen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With some of the new standards out there, in areas like the Chesapeake watershed or especially any of our protect trout streams (the effluent even has to be a certain temperature when it comes out to protect the trout), you could literally drink the effluent coming out of the sewer plants.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Non-issue.  The water leaving our sewer plants is much, much cleaner than the stream it goes into.
View Quote
Yep. Wastewater effluent is heavily regulated and monitored.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually agree with this decision. If properly treated there is no reason why not.
After all fish shit and fuck in it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Kali has been doing that for years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Short of anything that went into outerspace, this planet has the same amount of water on it that it did from day one.  Jeeez
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Well since every City that draws water for treatment for drinking from rivers or reservoirs fed by rivers what difference does it make unless you live in Flint?
Here in the KC area all our wastewater is dumped into the Kaw or Missouri rivers only to be picked up downstream by the water supply intakes.
In some cases less than a mile or two away.
I seriously doubt anyone is talking about not treating the water drawn from the reservoir before it reach's your faucets...

That said at our house we use a reverse osmosis filter and also have a couple of steam distillers for back-up for all drinking or cooking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Just wondering, do all the hundreds of cities on the Mississippi locate their drinking water inlet upstream of their sewer outflows?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically the water is cleaner than the discharge river.

But shit happens.

The aeration ponds or lagoons trap solids and allow it to fall out of suspension.  Aerators on top oxygenate the water promoting bacterial breakdown of solids, ammonia, nitrogen. As water makes its way from one side of the lagoon to the other (through baffle curtains), it's picked up for final chemical treatment and then discharged.

If the influent rate is too high (due to I/I caused by rainfall) or wave action prevents settling, the discharge water can be less than clean.

Operators must test weekly, but most don't report bypasses since the state regulatory agency can issue fines and/or moratoriums.

California could do this and it could work, but the treatment system would need additional safeguards and lots of testing.  Might be fine for a large water district, but the cost would be too high for smaller systems.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just wondering, do all the hundreds of cities on the Mississippi locate their drinking water inlet upstream of their sewer outflows?
View Quote
They pull from wells in west tn.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
The morons in california dump hundreds of millions of gallons of treated waste water into the ocean every day. They could conserve more water like the rest of the states by putting it inland instead of into the ocean. That alone would help some the states water issues
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Short of anything that went into outerspace, this planet has the same amount of water on it that it did from day one.  Jeeez
View Quote
True in the larger scheme.

Wells drawing from aquifers that are not greatly replenished (such as in AZ) are steadily drawing down the water table as the water takes a lot longer to replenish than it was believed in the past.  I look forward to the days when we have to limit ourselves to showering once a week and re-using the bath water for the dish water and then for the toilet (if we haven't gone to some type of waterless composting toilet).

AZ has too many people for the amount of water available in the end, especially with the population still growing here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Bear Grills will be the official monitor.

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Discharging into lakes is common around here. I thought that was just what they did.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Am I first with.....????

"The solution to pollution is dilution."

Or as my buddy says, when we are out fishing...

"Pee over the side of the boat, you're floating in a toilet anyway."
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Jeez, the one time CA does something that's not retarded and you bitch.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whew.  I really don't have the space to neckbeard shitloads of water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Groundwater recharge. It's been done for years.

If one would ever go to a plant that discharges into Classified waters, you probably would not know you are in a treatment facility if run correctly. The ones I used to run were the showcase of the state and the Sanitarians for the state would give tours at my one facility.
We had sand filtration and "polishing" equipment, in addition to the other methods of treatment that would treat the water to a very high degree. I won't bore you with the details, but our receiving waters were classified for trout habitat and we also ran three trout fishing clubs on company land and waters below the discharge.

It CAN be done. But, can it be done right? Can it be done with a level of proficiency? Do the people around it really care? Those are the factors that matter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only if you got a Freeman Stilsuit
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Discharging into lakes is common around here. I thought that was just what they did.
View Quote
One single water treatment plant in san diego dumps 180 million gallons of treated water into the pacific a day.

https://www.sandiego.gov/mwwd/facilities/ptloma/ptoutfall

“The Point Loma Ocean Outfall was built in 1963 for the discharge of treated wastewater into the ocean. In 1993, the Outfall was extended from a length of two miles off the coast of Point Loma to its present length of 4.5 miles. Twelve feet in diameter and operating via gravity-feed, the Outfall ends in 320 feet of water and splits into a Y-shaped diffuser to ensure wide dispersal of effluent into ocean waters.

The Point Loma Outfall is one of the longest and deepest in the world. Approximately 180 million gallons of wastewater treated at the Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant are discharged through the Outfall each day
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Happens here, just change reservoir to great lakes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't tell that to believers in the Noachian Flood hypothesis.  Water spontaneously appeared from nowhere and went back there after flooding the Earth for a year.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#40]
They couldn't even maintain a dam.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Been telling CA to eat shit for years. Looks like they're finally going to do it
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Well shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

California’s water regulation agency approved new measures Tuesday that will allow recycled water – water that once ran through the sewers – to be added to the state’s reservoirs, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

"This is a type of indirect potable use — it's not treated recycle water that goes directly to someone's house," said Miryam Barajas at the Water Board. "It's highly treated."

She says the new regulations could potentially affect all 36 of California’s reservoirs that serve as the main source of the state’s municipal drinking water.
View Quote
The term "It's highly treated." coming from their water board should be a red flag for Californians that you are about eat shit, well drink it anyway.
View Quote

Uhm, you know every other state does this right? Where do you think all that water coming out of the sewage plant goes?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Uhm, you know every other state does this right? Where do you think all that water coming out of the sewage plant goes?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, and it causes problems for the stream ecosystem when you dump that water into the stream.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Just about every drop of water on earth has passed through somethings body. Hell most modern sewers run to water bodys or rivers which are also the supply for the next town downstream.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#48]
They will fuck up and dump E. coli into the reservoirs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
The head of the Agency used to live in Flint...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#50]
This is what you get with complete and total Democrat rule and management. Suck it, Cali.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top