BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey dawg, I hear you like raw water...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you live on a major river Mississippi, Missouri, Chattahoochee, Rio Grand, Colorado, etc. you are already drinking water with recycled sewer water. When a water, in Atlanta objected to me drinking so much water/wasting it.  I told him, it came out of the 'Hooch after it passes through my kidneys and the sewage plant it will go right back into the 'Hooch, I'm not wasting any of it.  And I was right, too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Even if you live at the very top of a watershed, your treated wastewater is going back into the downhill stream and being recycled, over and over, until it hits the ocean.  Big deal.  I used to work at a wastewater treatment plant in the high country that drained directly into one of the lakes providing Denver with municipal drinking water.  Our effluent had to be treated to such a high standard that we were basically discharging drinking water into the lake.  We'd have a contest each 4th of July with our town's municipal water plant to see who put out better water.  We usually beat them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This type of process is not uncommon. City A discharges treated sewer water into river. Some miles downstream City B pulls river water into water plant, treats it, then sends it straight to your kitchen.
View Quote
This is far more common that the typical suburbanite realizes. Do you live near any running water than runs more than 100 miles? Bingo. Upstream intakes and treats, then collects treats and discharges to the next town in line.

Anybody who refuses to realize that is just kidding themselves. BTW - when things are flooded, those downstream plants are still taking in water, even if the upstream plants are dumping untreated sewage.

Now why would a sewage system get overloaded?

Because YOU and YOUR NEIGHBORS plumb your gutters, sump pumps, etc into the collection system. And how do I know? I have a line running across the back of my property and if it's a 2 inch rain I have, can, and will take photos of the manhole cover popped with toilet paper streaming out the overflow, all because WE DON'T FORCE OLDER HOMES TO UPGRADE TO CODE.

This is also why older neighborhoods have the most electrical fires. And those neighborhoods typically have the most rentals, which are actually being run as a business. If you would support rentals falling under a new commercial classification of code to be updated to at least the last twenty years, we would get gutters and rainwater disconnected from our sewers, and you'd pay less taxes running fire engines into neighborhoods that aren't upgraded.

But, noooooOOOOOOOooooo, we can't do that. OMG, homes that would not contribute to the sewage overload or burn down? It's our American right to be negligent and ignore common sense.

Which results in you get the tax burdens and recycled water you deserve.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s not just treated wastewater being discharged in the water upstream of municipal water sources.  You got all these little podunk communities and mobile home parks with shittily run little sewage treatment plants and failed septic systems discharging raw sewage into the water.

That’s what also closes a lot of oyster beds to harvesting.

Not to mention runoff from confined animal feeding operations.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Op doesn’t know what treated effluent water is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
If there’s an RO on the front end of treatment, there’s no issue.

My main concern is pharmaceuticals being flushed into reservoirs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If there’s an RO on the front end of treatment, there’s no issue.

My main concern is pharmaceuticals being flushed into reservoirs.
View Quote
A well run conventional surface water treatment plant is capable of treating some pretty nasty water with E.coli counts in the thousands of colonies per 100 ml level.  Also powdered activated carbon and the coagulation , flocculation and settling processes remove pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors along with many other chemical contaminants.

I doubt dumping treated wastewater effluent into the water will make it anymore challenging to treat than it already is with the existing sources of pollution already in the water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is what you get with complete and total Democrat rule and management. Suck it, Cali.
View Quote
That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even if you live at the very top of a watershed, your treated wastewater is going back into the downhill stream and being recycled, over and over, until it hits the ocean.  Big deal.  I used to work at a wastewater treatment plant in the high country that drained directly into one of the lakes providing Denver with municipal drinking water.  Our effluent had to be treated to such a high standard that we were basically discharging drinking water into the lake.  We'd have a contest each 4th of July with our town's municipal water plant to see who put out better water.  We usually beat them.
View Quote
It always bothered me that more people don't know about the incredible technology and science behind wastewater. As an Environmental Resource Manager for many years, it was the wastewater plant work out of all my various duties I really enjoyed, especially at the high level of treatment we were required to put back into our receiving streams. yes.....THAT clean.

But, Arfcom will tell you that doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So they want to take water that's cleaner than most water sources and put it into reservoirs. This water will then be treated again before it will be pumped into homes.

And we're saying this is a bad thing?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That makes no sense.
View Quote
Sorry you are obtuse.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#13]
It'll probably work fine, maybe for years and years, or a boondoggle that could hatch in the first month. Maintenance of the infrastructure is where these things usually fail. Incompetence both technical and financial lead the way. Being in California it'll be full of affirmative action appointees and union nepotism, and last but not least corruption. Blame will get cast all over except where it actually lies, in this case they'll have to pawn it off all the way up to the federal level.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry you are obtuse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes no sense.
Sorry you are obtuse.
Obtuse for saying your entirely unexplained statement makes no sense?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I think discharging into reservoirs is a better idea than pumping into the ground, which is happening too.

Because many homes and communities still rely on untreated well water.  Whereas all reservoir, river water (e.g. surface water sources) are treated before being used as potable water.

Pumping wastewater effluent into the groundwater might also liberate or release natural contaminants, say if the effluent is slightly more acidic or less alkaline than the natural groundwater.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]
ALL of the communities here, in Fox Valley, do that with the Fox River.  I kayak in Elgin's shit.  And I like it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#17]
In 2014 the city of Wichita Falls, Tx started blending recycled waste water into the drinking water supply, and this year all treated waste water is piped into Lake Arrowhead, the main water supply for the city.  The recycle of waste water is not a new idea by any means...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#18]
We had a on site class on how the sewage treatment works and at the end the teacher had a glass of treated water showing us the clarity and telling us how clean/pure it is.  We were all saying "drink it" to him, he never did........................yah right
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The plant near me re-cycles water for 300,000 daily.....refills the aquifer.

The cool trick would be to recharge all the aquifers especially in the Central Valley that have been depleted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Still no plans for desalination?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
The recycled water has been purified for drinking but it's taboo to drink this water

I, for one, welcome this new shitty flavored water
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
It's highly treated until the tootsie rolls shows up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's highly treated until the tootsie rolls shows up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
California to add recycled sewer water to the state reservoirs

California’s water regulation agency approved new measures Tuesday that will allow recycled water – water that once ran through the sewers – to be added to the state’s reservoirs, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The new rules are expected to be implemented by 2023.

"This is a type of indirect potable use — it's not treated recycle water that goes directly to someone's house," said Miryam Barajas at the Water Board. "It's highly treated."

She says the new regulations could potentially affect all 36 of California’s reservoirs that serve as the main source of the state’s municipal drinking water.
View Quote
The term "It's highly treated." coming from their water board should be a red flag for Californians that you are about eat shit, well drink it anyway.
View Quote
Anyone that lives in a city that has other cities up stream are most likely doing similar. Look at New Orleans and all the cities up stream that dump there treated waste water back in the rivers up stream. But then again this may explain a lot about New Orleans.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
CA could save even more water by encouraging people to emulate more enlightened cultures such as India.

Instead of using so much water to carry away human waste from indoor toilets, Californians should be encouraged to just go outside and shit on the sidewalks, beaches, rail lines, etc., like the Indians do.

CA has apparently already made a good start on this idea in San Francisco, LA, San Diego where legions of homeless relieve themselves whenever and where ever the urge strikes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Bear Grylls approved
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Soylent green is coming next.
No more space for graveyards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This type of process is not uncommon. City A discharges treated sewer water into river. Some miles downstream City B pulls river water into water plant, treats it, then sends it straight to your kitchen.
View Quote
This. Folks don't usually understand the path their water takes prior to getting to them. Will be an expansion of water reuse projects.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
It's government. It'll fuck it up and people will die. Doubly so since it's California.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know if you have a septic and a well you're pretty much drinking and cooking and bathing with recycled gray water.
View Quote
LOL. No.

Stay in your lane.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
The state's a cesspool. I'm guessing that they don't bother to "treat" that sewage water before they recycle it into the reservoirs. Maybe they will even start bottling it and selling it to restaurants in their great state.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
CA could save even more water by encouraging people to emulate more enlightened cultures such as India.

Instead of using so much water to carry away human waste from indoor toilets, Californians should be encouraged to just go outside and shit on the sidewalks, beaches, rail lines, etc., like the Indians do.

CA has apparently already made a good start on this idea in San Francisco, LA, San Diego where legions of homeless relieve themselves whenever and where ever the urge strikes.
View Quote
Q: And just where does all that sidewalk shit go with the first rain?
A: Into the nearest river, stream or creek.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#33]
DUDE, does this mean Kel-Tec owners can safely drink that water?....'cause I hear you gotta drink piss to own one of their "rifles."

Fuck off, Jerry Brown....you have destroyed the place of my birth. The only thing golden about the "Golden State" is the color of all the piss on tje streets of your bumm-filled cities.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
It's government. It'll fuck it up and people will die.
View Quote
And the obvious result of that will be even more government to prevent that...  
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
View Quote
Just the building and running a desal plant is really expensive and they can't compete in costs vs treated or reservoir water.

Several places that built them during droughts shut them down long-term when the droughts ended. Lot of money to put up to shutter them a few years later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy shit!! I'm responsible for this, really. Or at least my company is. We do water disinfection, I just finished up a plant in CA that is right now taking the purified water and spreading it over the land where the  aquifers are. That water will trickle down through the earth into the aquifers.  It's happening now!

I'd drink it.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
News Flash. The water in your bottled water has been in the colon of another animal.

It's called the water cycle.

I am a retired Civil Engineer. It is the job of a Civil/Environmental engineer to make the perceived distance from one persons urethra and colon to another persons mouth as far as possible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
News Flash. The water in your bottled water has been in the colon of another animal.

It's called the water cycle.

I am a retired Civil Engineer. It is the job of a Civil/Environmental engineer to make the perceived distance from one persons urethra and colon to another persons mouth as far as possible.
View Quote
Yup.  The goal is to make the oral-anal route as long an circuitous as possible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That makes no sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you get with complete and total Democrat rule and management. Suck it, Cali.
That makes no sense.
It’s California derangement psychosis syndrome.

Any and all things related to California sets it off.

Let it go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So they want to take water that's cleaner than most water sources and put it into reservoirs. This water will then be treated again before it will be pumped into homes.

And we're saying this is a bad thing?
View Quote
Of course.

Logic and reason has no place in a GD thread that involves California.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#41]
This process is not uncommon, I've built shit plants all over the country that discharge to various bodies of water, be it streams, rivers, canals, reservoirs, etc.. that also feed intakes for drinking water plants.

Where else do you think the treated water goes?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
We have the largest desal plant in the country about 7 miles from where I’m sitting.

It produces 50,000,000 gallons of fresh water per day.  About 10% of the area’s water needs.

We need more, but the environmentalists and don’t spoil our ocean view people rabidly fight them every step of the way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Ah yes. Disease the population. Another control measure straight out of the communist play books.

Disease
Disarmed
Confused
Chaos
Disinformation
Lies
False Promises

Total control of an easily manipulated population.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe they have a de-sal plant in North San Diego County.
One in Santa Barbara is off line.  Proposals have a high regulatory bar.

"An official at a smaller desal facility told me it took $25,000 of electricity per month to produce enough water for 1,200 homes. In Cal Am’s case, they’re hoping to reach a deal to power the plant using methane from a nearby landfill."

https://www.kqed.org/science/28668/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-problems

$200 $20 per month per home to produce water.....just power costs...pushing water through membranes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
Cleaner, yes but not the same.  Most processes do not remove the pharmaceuticals and some of the other inorganics.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I believe they have a de-sal plant in North San Diego County.
One in Santa Barbara is off line.  Proposals have a high regulatory bar.

"An official at a smaller desal facility told me it took $25,000 of electricity per month to produce enough water for 1,200 homes. In Cal Am's case, they're hoping to reach a deal to power the plant using methane from a nearby landfill."

https://www.kqed.org/science/28668/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-problems

$200 per month per home to produce water.
View Quote
That's $20/month/home.
But then you add in all the other costs of building and maintaining the plant, and it's going to be more, of course.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#47]
They tried this on Miranda and ended up with Reavers
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cleaner, yes but not the same.  Most processes do not remove the pharmaceuticals and some of the other inorganics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are the only company that removes the pharmaceuticals right now as far as I know. That's the issue, the organisms and virus are easy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
+1    I'm not worried at all about the "natural" contaminants, but the pharmaceuticals, isotopes, and other things that would be present in the waste coming out of an urban area are something entirely different.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top