Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2023 9:24:39 PM EDT
I am hearing more and more about younger folks not being able to read/write in cursive.   I have not noticed this to be true....but I am not really in a situation where it ever comes up.    To me , cursive is normal.

What are your experiences with cursive?

Do you see that younger folks can not read and/or write it?

Do you think it matters?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I absolutely can read and write in cursive. There is some god-awful handwriting out there that is a challenge to decipher, however.
Personally I think it is important more so for developing fine motor skills than as a means of communication.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure 100% of people here can.

I think the schools around here just stopped teaching it in grade school a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course I can. I don’t see how anyone couldn’t read it. It isn’t that much different from print.

Now writing it…I could see that being an issue. Lower case “Z” yea, that isn’t exactly instinctual.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Me? Absolutely

My kids? Not so much
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to be able to but haven't in probably 15 years.  I likely forgot how some.  Honestly other than signing my name, I probably write something on paper once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fine with current-style cursive handwriting (I have some difficulty with older styles , ie >400 years old, though).
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Still get contracts that have spots for name (print) and name (signed). I guess people leave it blank.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I never learned block letter writing. It’s weird and strange to me. A lot of signs are in block letters and it’s hard to get around.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I write in cursive almost daily.  But it is difficult to read my ancestors cursive writings unless I force myself  cursive has changed over the last couple of centuries.  I once was able to read the old German style, but alas I have lost most of that.   I assume the next generation will not be able to read this post.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you started school in the last 10-15 years?  Nope. My two teenagers can’t write it or even barely read it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Like on paper?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had more than one person be confused by my writing in cursive.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still get contracts that have spots for name (print) and name (signed). I guess people leave it blank.
View Quote
My Father couldn't read or write.  Not just cursive, anything.  I knew what common words were though, by how the word looked.  Like on the highway, he knew that Exit meant exit because of the way it looked.  He just didn't know the mechanics of letters as we are taught.  In the same way, he could sign his name fine, in cursive. He just learned to draw it.  Like learning to draw a picture.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes and shame on you if you cannot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know that they even teach that nowadays.  Outside of signatures I have not done much writing in cursive in some time, but I can certainly still do it, as well as read it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
If schools don't teach something anymore and it's falling out of use in society as a required skill...you are going to shame the people whom we didn't teach?  Seems backwards.

You might argue that it is then the responsibility of that person who wasn't taught, to seek lessons or to teach themselves.  I would argue that if I was never taught to read and write in cursive, I wouldn't bother.  It would be of little actual use anymore, to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned cursive and used it regularly until about half way through college. I found I could print faster and more legibly when taking notes. Other than signatures, I haven’t used cursive in close to 40 years. I can read it fine but might struggle a bit writing it.

My 18 year old daughter was taught it to some degree in elementary school but has a very difficult time reading it.

I rarely write anything anymore other than grocery lists and “to do” lists.

I’m sure there is an app somewhere that will read and translate cursive
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I can. The schools stopped teaching it years ago so I taught my kids myself. My older son loves it. He's 25 now, just got out of the Marine Corps and still practices it. He's also into calligraphy, learning Japanese (spoken and all the written characters). His work is really beautiful.

ETA: One benefit my boys have found is that the girls are impressed by it. They see it as a sign a guy is educated and intelligent, since so many can't these days.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do people need to know how?  I do because I learned in school, but haven’t used it since.

Nobody needs to write in cursive anymore.  Almost everything is typed.  Cursive was to created to make writing quicker and more efficient.  

Almost nobody writes a multi page letter by hand anymore.  You send an email.

Kids are better served by learning how to type well than to learn an archaic handwriting method they will never use in their professional lives.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes/no/yes
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I spend a lot of time reviewing hand written notes.

Fuck cursive. The variations in form make it fucking useless for record keeping. I spend more time deciphering inconsistent curves and bullshit swoops.

Records written in print do not require this extra effort. Further, cursive is for lazy people trying to write faster. Learn to type grandpa.

Or develop some work ethic and write in print.

ETA: we homeschool, so our kids will know how to speak Latin and write in cursive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Sure can.

We had a new hire at work a couple years ago, young man right out of college so he’d probably be 24/25 today. He couldn’t read a word of cursive. Very conveniently he also hated when people left him post-it notes. So being the assholes we are we all took to leaving him all of his messages & several just for fun notes on his desk written in cursive on post-it notes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Touch typing is a more practical skill IMHO…..
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I can do both. But I won't lie and say I don't struggle at it though. It's been a long, long time since I had to do either with any regularity.

Does it serve purpose anymore? Probably not. I rarely write things beyond fill in the blank stuff in my job, but it also requires block lettering so it can be read.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I am 56, I learned it in school but haven't used it since.  I write out each letter or number without using cursive.  
Cursive is old and outdated and has no use today.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Read it? Yes.  Write it? Mostly.  Do I think it's stupid? Yes.  Should it continue to be taught?  Also yes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except for it's now obvious benefit as encryption script for older people.  

Wanna say what's on your mind to fellow peers that'll get you cancelled with the younger generation? Just write it in cursive!  They'll all wonder what we're howling with laughter about and be unable to read what we've written.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
That’s real retarded Sir.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am 56, I learned it in school but haven't used it since.  I write out each letter or number without using cursive.  
View Quote

Cursive is kind of dumb. I don't know why some older people are so obsessed with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Yepper
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't heard if it's true, because cursive doesn't exist in the world I work in. Handwriting hardly ever shows up at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I do a hybrid cursive print. I'm a trendsetter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I do a hybrid cursive print. I'm a trendsetter.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Constitution and declaration are cursive. Most of our governing historical documents are.  

That’s why it’s not taught anymore.  Erase peoples ability to read.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I absolutely can read and rite in cursive. There is some god-awful handwriting out there that is a challenge to decipher, however.
Personally I think it is important more so for developing fine motor skills than as a means of communication.
View Quote

How are you with rithmetic?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Of course I can.  It's becoming a real problem already with people who can't hand written (cursive) legal documents from just 40 or 50 years ago, like deeds and property boundary desciptions.  I'm not joking when I predict globalists and Democrats will start changing the (typed) text of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to teach in schools, and the students won't be able to even question it because they can't read the actual documents.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Constitution and declaration are cursive. Most of our governing historical documents are.  

That's why it's not taught anymore.  Erase peoples ability to read.
View Quote

While I can read cursive just fine, I can use one of about 8700 freely available apps to take a picture of any common language or writing style and it will instantly translate it to any other language or writing style that I want.

In addition, if you don't want to trust an app, you can just look at a paper legend of cursive to block letters and do it old school.  Might take a minute...but a 10 year old could read the constitution in this manner, just fine.

The idea that cursive is somehow now cryptic code to young people as...dumb as fuck frankly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes.

I haven't actually written anything in cursive in decades, though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I was taught cursive in school in the late '90s/early '00s. I haven't used it since but can read it. I'll be honest, I had to look up a couple letters when writing something in cursive recently .
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That’s why it’s not taught anymore.  Erase peoples ability to read.
View Quote

I have heard this many times and it does not make sense to me.  These documents exist, everywhere, in print. There is no translation issue. There is no discrepancy. It is everywhere, in plain printed text.

I would argue that it is FAR...FAR more available now, in print, than it ever was before the internet, in ANY guise.

I think in order for such a claim to be valid, one would have to show it is hard to find in printed text and the printed text is not accurate, which is not the case.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've had more than one person be confused by my writing in cursive.  
View Quote

Calling mine "writing" is pushing it pretty hard. My penmanship sucks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I can read it well. They stopped teaching it when I was in 6 grade I think.

Can't write very well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

While I can read cursive just fine, I can use one of about 8700 freely available apps to take a picture of any common language or writing style and it will instantly translate it to any other language or writing style that want.

In addition, if you don't want to trust an app, you can just look at a paper legend of cursive to block letters and do it old school.  Might take a minute...but a 10 year old could read the constitution in this manner, just fine.

The idea that cursive is somehow now cryptic code to young people as...dumb as fuck frankly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why it's not taught anymore.  Erase peoples ability to read.

While I can read cursive just fine, I can use one of about 8700 freely available apps to take a picture of any common language or writing style and it will instantly translate it to any other language or writing style that want.

Maybe I should have said erase peoples ability to read without somebody else translating it for them?

If one can’t read, one is by definition illiterate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope. Last I was taught cursive was in the 2nd grade, I think.

When I was deployed, my grandmother would send me letters written in cursive that I could barely, if at all, read Told my mom and she was appalled, but the only time I ever use cursive is to sign my name.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why do people need to know how?  I do because I learned in school, but haven’t used it since.

Nobody needs to write in cursive anymore.  Almost everything is typed.  Cursive was to created to make writing quicker and more efficient.  

Kids are better served by learning how to type well than to learn an archaic handwriting method they will never use in their professional lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of kids can type/text on their phones with just their thumbs, faster than someone can write in cursive.

Learning cursive nowadays is really an optional skill, much like learning to read Olde English (i.e. in order to be able to read old stuff).

The other skill that also seems to be disappearing is reading analog clock/watch faces (and driving manual/stick shift).
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe I should have said erase peoples ability to read without somebody else translating it for them?
View Quote
That would require that we stop teaching people who to read anything.  Completely.

Technology has brought us the opposite.  Where our parents (yours, as I said, my dad couldn't read at all), might have been stonewalled by something written in Spanish maybe.  Now technology will instantly translate it for me.  Language barriers have gone from a hard stop to more of a...slight pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I can read and write in it. It's a pointless skill.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I learned how in school. I'm 28. Can still read it.

My handwriting is mostly print with some of the cursive letter connection style in it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes its a problem because kids can't sign thier name.   Some minimum level of cursive literacy is required.  

Discovered this a few weeks ago when my 13 year didn't know how to sign his name in cursive.  And this is not a public school only issue.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top