Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spend a lot of time reviewing hand written notes.

Fuck cursive. The variations in form make it fucking useless for record keeping. I spend more time deciphering inconsistent curves and bullshit swoops.

Records written in print do not require this extra effort. Further, cursive is for lazy people trying to write faster. Learn to type grandpa.

Or develop some work ethic and write in print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta41xU-tkFA

ETA: we homeschool, so our kids will know how to speak Latin and write in cursive.
View Quote

That just triggered a memory of something I hadn't thought of in a loooong time.

My parents had an old cursive typewriter. I remember classmates and teachers going, "Wow. I didn't even know there was such a thing".
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How are you with rithmetic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I absolutely can read and rite in cursive. There is some god-awful handwriting out there that is a challenge to decipher, however.
Personally I think it is important more so for developing fine motor skills than as a means of communication.

Dunno, but I'd bet he can rite in the rain
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Tear down the statues!  You can find pictures on the internet!

Erase history and rewrite it. Because people can’t read history.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes to both.

Went to a private school in the 80's. Theres lots of stuff we learned that was standard back then that hasn't been taught in decades.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cursive is on the upper slope as humanity rockets down the hill to "Idiocracy" and soon they will only be able to communicate using texting abbreviations
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes its a problem because kids can't sign thier name.   Some minimum level of cursive literacy is required.  

Discovered this a few weeks ago when my 13 year didn't know how to maintain his name.  And this is not a public school only issue.  
View Quote

Was just talking to a bank teller who mentioned younger people taking a painfully long time to sign their names.

While it's true that most signatures are cursive, practicing signing your name was something kids did over and over, refining their signatures while dreaming of the day they were old/mature enough to finally need to sign something. Do kids not do that anymore?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Easily read it . I used to write it all the time. A bit rusty but can do it.

I wrote a check today for 3995.65 in cursive. The letters don't flow like they used to but yes I can do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That just triggered a memory of something I hadn't thought of in a loooong time.

My parents had an old cursive typewriter. I remember classmates and teachers going, "Wow. I didn't even know there was such a thing".
View Quote
My handwriting is fucking horrible.  It's not for a lack of trying, I took after school help specifically to try to make it better.  It's just one of those things I think.  Like trying to teach someone who can't sing, to sing well.  Not gonna happen, I didn't come with that component built in.

I think it was somewhere in middle school my family got a dox matrix printer and I asked my teachers if I could use the ancient word processor program on our very early home computer, to do my reports and homework.  Talking black screen with green text here.  5 1/4 inch floppy disks and long before the internet.

At first they refused to accept it but after a while...I think they just got tired of trying to read my chicken scratch.  Finally relented and told me to turn it in, out of sight of my classmates.  They didn't want the idea spreading I guess.   From that day forward to high school graduation I just typed and printed out all my work.  Somewhere along the line it became more and more common, I stopped being the exception.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Im glad its not universally taught.  There needs to be something to help adults in the future tell the cultured, educated and well-off from the poor illiterate.  I wouldn't want my children, as adults, inevertedly inviting print only retards who can only check facebook to communicate to a social event and infecting their children with low class dirt living.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 46. I haven't written in cursive since I was in 5th grade and being graded on my handwriting. I can still read it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no chance I could write a proper upper and lower case cursive alphabet these days without looking it up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of you would be horrified to learn I still write letters by hand - cursive, although my chicken scratch is a hodgepodge of cursive and printing. Long letters. People write me back, too. It’s enjoyable, writing letters. I love my tech, but there’s just something about correspondence on paper. I write several letters a week.

I got D- for handwriting in third grade. LOL
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny how the schools stop teaching cursive when virtually all of the important historical legal documents this country was founded on are all done in cursive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't written in cursive in 25 years, but it is a now useless skill I still possess.

As for reading it, anyone can figure it out pretty quick. It's not like it's hieroglyphics or something.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes its a problem because kids can't sign thier name.   Some minimum level of cursive literacy is required.  

Discovered this a few weeks ago when my 13 year didn't know how to sign his name in cursive.  And this is not a public school only issue.  
View Quote

There is no law that says your signature has to be in cursive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I do once in a while. There's something nice about a good fountain pen and a couple paragraphs in strict cursive writing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Still get contracts that have spots for name (print) and name (signed). I guess people leave it blank.
View Quote

We are regressing to 100 years ago when people just " made their mark" to sign documents.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Funny how the schools stop teaching cursive when virtually all of the important historical legal documents this country was founded on are all done in cursive.
View Quote

If someone has been taught to read but can't decipher cursive, they're too stupid to understand those documents in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We are regressing to 100 years ago when people just " made their mark" to sign documents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still get contracts that have spots for name (print) and name (signed). I guess people leave it blank.

That's all a lot of signatures were for the last 100 years anyway. One or two legible characters and some scribbles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I have not written anything in cursive for 40+ years.
Read it.. sure.
Write cursive..now. Doubtful it would pass as writing.

The need disappeared long ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discovered this a few weeks ago when my 13 year didn't know how to sign his name in cursive.  And this is not a public school only issue.  

Most likely but given the amount of money I'm spending on their education they should be able to sign thier name.

Maybe I'm being snotty but do we really want people signing documents in box letters? Seems like a step backwards
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most likely but given the amount of money I'm spending on their education they should be able to sign thier name.

Maybe I'm being snotty but do we really want people signing documents in box letters? Seems like a step backwards
View Quote
I can buy a car online by clicking a button.  I am entering into a very expensive contract that says I will give someone a lot of money, based on my electronic signature.  Which....is me just clicking a button.

I would argue that using ink and pieces of paper, at all, is a step backwards.

I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the low rates and I remember having to sign my name, legit at least 20 times.  I told the lady that kept handing me things to sign that this is fucking stupid.  She agreed.  I asked her if anyone actually checked the signature.  She said yes the borrowers signature must be there.  I said no, I mean does anyone actually sit around looking at all this shit, to make sure the handwriting matches. Ya know the whole point of a signature, to help make sure it's the actual person saying they agree.  She just laughed and handed me another piece paper to sign.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is you are not home schooling.  Most home schoolers make it mandatory
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I can write in cursive with both hands (not at the same time though) and taught my kids how to read and write it. Same with learning to drive a manual. They will probably never see one ever again, but I think it's a good skill to have just in case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I can read it and write it, but you can't read it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I write in cursive all the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I absolutely can read and rite in cursive. There is some god-awful handwriting out there that is a challenge to decipher, however.
Personally I think it is important more so for developing fine motor skills than as a means of communication.

I didn't get this at first.
My stupid keyboard on my laptop is dying. It either doesn't type some letters when I press those keys or it somehow bangs out a double or triple.
If I typee a sntenc wwithout looking back and proofreading befor posting it looks lik this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Me? Absolutely

My kids? Not so much
View Quote

Yea, I had to make it a point that the kids learned.  Without, it's a handicap.   Not in day to day life, but if they're unable to comprehend historical documents, I consider it a handicap
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I couldn't do my job if I couldn't read cursive.

The trouble is, so many people write so differently that it's really almost "decoding" to read it.

I work in title and all the old indices were written in cursive, and all the deeds were before the typewriter was invented.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I can.   I don't think reading in cursive is the problem.  

A metric ton of high school and college kids can barely read regular print.   Get one to read out loud.   Holy shit!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess I'm all weird.  I write in capital letters with some cursive and lower case letters sometimes lol.  It is really legible but now that I read the description I used it sounds like a kidnapping ransom letter lol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am hearing more and more about younger folks not being able to read/write in cursive.   I have not noticed this to be true....but I am not really in a situation where it ever comes up.    To me , cursive is normal.

What are your experiences with cursive?

Do you see that younger folks can not read and/or write it?

Do you think it matters?
View Quote

No…
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Lazlo Biro made it irrelevant in the 1940's and Marcel Bich drove the final stake into its heart in the 1950's. My parents weren't even born yet.

I was taught to read and write it, but outside of writing a check here or there, I never use it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#38]
sure

we learned that in school and I write that way still today

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#39]
One of my hobbies is researching my family tree. Read some documents (wills, deeds) from the 1700’s and tell me cursive is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#40]
In my opinion people who have good handwriting appear more professional. Someone who's writing looks like a 2nd grader just gives a bad impression.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I still pay most of my bills by check.  I write cursive.  The shitty school system out here did not teach my boys cursive, so we did it at home.  Is it a problem?  yes.  The constitution is written in cursive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I’d say it’s mostly pointless. Kids now should Spend the time learning to type and properly use word /excel / email and general pc usage instead.  New grads are really not served well by mostly only knowing phones and apps and not being so well versed in actual computer skills.

As far  as “sign your name”.  One can teach that without the whole rigamarole or full on cursive writing or reading. First letters and some squiggles will do.

And digital signatures are much more common.

Sort of like we don’t teach everyone typewriter usage or how to get around on a horse.

Calligraphy can still be an elective. Or taught if your career field needs it. Like say you are a history major.

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Constitution and declaration are cursive. Most of our governing historical documents are.  

That's why it's not taught anymore.  Erase peoples ability to read.
View Quote
Spend much time learning Hebrew and Aramaic?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can read it and write it, but you can't read it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I absolutely can read and write in cursive. There is some god-awful handwriting out there that is a challenge to decipher, however.
View Quote

I switched to block lettering decades ago so I could read what I wrote.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a client who has the most perfect cursive writing ever. It really is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, I can, though it is not the neatest.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Out of curiosity I just tried. I remembered most letters. I wrote a few sentences and the letters I thought I didn't know I did know once I wrote. It was still as barely legible as it was 25 years ago too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tear down the statues!  You can find pictures on the internet!

Erase history and rewrite it. Because people can’t read history.
View Quote

I do think it's important to have several copies of documents that you know have been rewritten correctly. I also think that about the Bible, it just usually requires several different versions.

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Johnson & Johnson is changing its company logo because they’re concerned that too many people are now too retarded to be able to read it.

https://apnews.com/article/johnson-logo-change-cursive-7236463751d2ba89a7a8858c3accf162

I’m half surprised they didn’t ditch the mysterious ampersand too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top