[#3]
The nuns taught me many decades ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can buy a car online by clicking a button.  I am entering into a very expensive contract that says I will give someone a lot of money, based on my electronic signature.  Which....is me just clicking a button.

I would argue that using ink and pieces of paper, at all, is a step backwards.

I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the low rates and I remember having to sign my name, legit at least 20 times.  I told the lady that kept handing me things to sign that this is fucking stupid.  She agreed.  I asked her if anyone actually checked the signature.  She said yes the borrowers signature must be there.  I said no, I mean does anyone actually sit around looking at all this shit, to make sure the handwriting matches. Ya know the whole point of a signature, to help make sure it's the actual person saying they agree.  She just laughed and handed me another piece paper to sign.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely but given the amount of money I'm spending on their education they should be able to sign thier name.

Maybe I'm being snotty but do we really want people signing documents in box letters? Seems like a step backwards
I can buy a car online by clicking a button.  I am entering into a very expensive contract that says I will give someone a lot of money, based on my electronic signature.  Which....is me just clicking a button.

I would argue that using ink and pieces of paper, at all, is a step backwards.

I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the low rates and I remember having to sign my name, legit at least 20 times.  I told the lady that kept handing me things to sign that this is fucking stupid.  She agreed.  I asked her if anyone actually checked the signature.  She said yes the borrowers signature must be there.  I said no, I mean does anyone actually sit around looking at all this shit, to make sure the handwriting matches. Ya know the whole point of a signature, to help make sure it's the actual person saying they agree.  She just laughed and handed me another piece paper to sign.

Even digital signatures require a physical signing at least initially (such as docusign etc.)  whether you're using a mouse, ink pen, or digital pen it's still a signature and by definition still need to know how to write.  

Or we could just go back to make your mark?

Option 3 is biometrics and I think we saw that movie/documentary.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure. It was mandatory when I was growing up.

But we  no longer use quill pens that make blotches everytime they are picked up and pur back down on paper. Its an archaic and outdated form of writing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive forgotten how to write in cursive. I can still read it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I can. When I went to private Catholic school for junior high, penmanship was a full class complete with textbooks and a nun armed with a ruler.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I can. When I went to private Catholic school for junior high, penmanship was a full class complete with textbooks and a nun armed with a ruler.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Was just talking to a bank teller who mentioned younger people taking a painfully long time to sign their names.

While it's true that most signatures are cursive, practicing signing your name was something kids did over and over, refining their signatures while dreaming of the day they were old/mature enough to finally need to sign something. Do kids not do that anymore?
View Quote

Most signatures are not in proper cursive form and are barely Legible. I could just put some squiggly lines down and it would cover for most signatures. This is true even among the older generation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most signatures are not in proper cursive form and are barely Legible. I could just put some squiggly lines down and it would cover for most signatures. This is true even among the older generation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was just talking to a bank teller who mentioned younger people taking a painfully long time to sign their names.

While it's true that most signatures are cursive, practicing signing your name was something kids did over and over, refining their signatures while dreaming of the day they were old/mature enough to finally need to sign something. Do kids not do that anymore?

Also true. My signature is illegible

I was watching some movie (last movie of a franchise) and the credits showed their signatures/autographs, and I remember thinking, "Hey, I can actually read most of those. I wonder if actors/famous people either changed their signatures/autographs, or specifically worked on making their signatures legible? Because I've seen plenty of signatures that are simply illegible squiggles (like my own)".
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#14]
My clinical notes are in cursive. The intern cannot read them. I transcribe them into the emr system anyway, but until then they cannot review the chart due to lack of cursive. Apparently their school switch to computer lab from cursive. I don’t have a problem with it, but I’m not changing how I write my notes. Only downside is they have to come in early or stay late to review the record.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of course I can. I don’t see how anyone couldn’t read it. It isn’t that much different from print.

Now writing it…I could see that being an issue. Lower case “Z” yea, that isn’t exactly instinctual.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This reminds me.....

They hadn't taught cursive in our district since the early 2000's.
My oldest son learned, my second through fourth did not, and then they put it back in the late 20 teens, so #5 learned.

My daughter, (#4) taught herself (artist type), then taught herself calligraphy, then, taught herself cursive with her non-dominant hand.
She started filling notebooks on facing pages with both hands. Like left and right copies. She never said a word to anyone.
I found one of her books laying around, I was blown away. It was a remarkable thing to find and see.
Cursive can be quite beautiful to read.
View Quote

I had a coworker that took very nice looking cursive notes. She was relatively quick too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top