Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on what you think you have to have.

I have not had a car payment in 20 years.

Had a motorcycle payment a few years ago but I doubt I will ever have one again.

Same for a mortgage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time we were car shopping a young couple were trying to buy a car.  No money, no credit.  Salesman told them to call parents to co-signed.   First set of parents arrive.  No money, no credit.  Next set of parents arrive.  Same story.  Eventually looked like a family reunion at the dealership.  I asked our salesman what will happen to them.   They said they would eventually find a bank to give them credit.  Eventually.  Pay cash for your car then start making payments to yourself.  It’s not that hard.
View Quote

Could have done that, but at 1% interest it’s cheaper to let my money keep working while I make payments.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7kka40ZP7I
View Quote

I settled for a boring truck, but I have a 10 acre farm and live off the grid except for electricity, which will soon be solar. To each their own. Raise my own meat, grow my own veggies. Guys are paying $12 for a dozen eggs and have an $800 vehicle payment. I have 1000 pounds of prime beef in the freezer and more eggs more than enough eggs for 6 families. To each their own
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#4]
People use the word “need” a lot. I don’t need a couple hundred grand worth of vehicles in the driveway, and a boat to fish in, but I like it.  I don’t need a safe full of nice guns, but I like them. I don’t need to go see my son play at Carnegie Hall, but I’m going to do so because I want to.  I carry some debt, but the money I’ve saved makes more than I pay on interest.

I’ve worked my ass off for a long time to be able to afford to do stuff that I want, rather than subsist on what I need.  I’ve already done the subsistence thing plenty… I have decided that I enjoy doing stuff and having stuff just because it’s what I want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
So when reparations then
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My only car payment is a couple hundred bucks at 0% APR.

That's free money.
View Quote

So….how much money are you going to make investing that whopping $2,400 a year?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Hoping to have my 2020 Tacoma paid off by the
end of the year.  March '24 latest.  I agree.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Turned in a 2020 Tacoma lease last month and now drive a 2001 S10.

To tell you the truth I don't miss much. Biggest is the rear view camera I have found out. I can add that later.

Will probably buy a fun newer but not very new vehicle here in the Summer . Got this truck mainly to haul the GSD and not get hair and work mess in a nicer vehicle.

I usually have 3 or 4 vehicles at one time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only car payment is a couple hundred bucks at 0% APR.

That's free money.

2400 X .08 = 192

2400 X .1 = 240
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have bought a new Camry and a new Rav4 in 2019. We wouldn't be looking at another vehicle until 2035 or so if I had done that. Instead I'm trying to find what vehicles are actually going to be delivered for MSRP if I order months out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Free money?
No such thing as a free lunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
0%

Sorry about your credit rating

This doesn’t sound good, it sounds like slavery.    Also, you over paid, by at least $1500

You know what is also 0%?       Being debt free.    

Someone doesn't understand the concept of free money.

Free money?

The Federal Reserve exists to occasionally hand out free lunches.  

"Oh no!  The economy is going into recession.  Hurry up and get those free lunches shipped out boys!"

Don't fight the FED when they are handing out free lunches.  Of course, they aren't handing out free lunches today but one day again soon they will be.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Vehicles are expensive. With current production issues and the lack of production over the last two years, I expect used prices to remain high for several years.

Cars can last a long time if you work on them yourself. For years we drove older high mileage vehicles until they weren't worth repairing.  Now I keep an old high mileage vehicle as a spare and my wife drives a fancy new truck.  It's expensive but provides a lot of capabilities I wanted.  I plan to use it for 20 years, so I decided the expense was worth it.  It's far from slavery as I could walk away and go back to my old vehicle anytime.  But we like the new vehicle and I don't feel bad about letting the bank hold the note as it's below todays inflation rate.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh. 2013 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab. Got it in 2018 with 37k miles. Has lots of extras, paid 18.5 for it. ??????? financed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
A good rule in life is to not be average. There are tons of solid used cars for fuck loads less than 30k. Hell, while it might take longer to find one there are plenty of new cars available for less than 30k.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no free lunch op....I learned this the hard way over the years.

My wife especially cant keep a car for long and I get bored with cars quickly.

So I opened up a small independant dealer so I can make some money and also not lose my ass on cars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
We all die, plan accordingly
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Part of me 100% agrees and would never have a car payment again.

The retarded side of my brain says fuck that I want to use a company vehicle allowance to get a GT3.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Old people color lol
View Quote

Well, I am 65! Gotta problem skippy?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Why are people fascinated with what people spend or don’t spent?  It’s looking at the wrong side of the equation.  One should be more interested in what one makes and how they do.  You can only save so much.  You aren’t limited to what you can make, past time in the day.

Your health is the most valuable thing you have.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Youre not wrong, but Im forced into a market with a system I didnt have a say in creating. Im not a GD baller, so payments it is.
View Quote

really...

well, let me ask

I didn't buy a car with less than 100,000 miles until I was pushing 45

when I crested the "millionaire" status mark, we went out to celebrate in my pickup which had 245,000 plus miles on it and fenders held on by zip ties

so, what kinda cars have you had that you HAD to make payments on
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The retarded side of my brain says fuck that I want to use a company vehicle allowance to get a GT3.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why are people fascinated with what people spend or don’t spent?  It’s looking at the wrong side of the equation.  One should be more interested in what one makes and how they do.  You can only save so much.  You aren’t limited to what you can make, past time in the day.

View Quote

Yep, this gets left out of the conversation all of the time despite the fact that we live in a country where people make anywhere between $0 and $1 Billion per year.  There is no homogeneous wage or salary that that the majority of people make and there is not law limiting how much you can make, how many hours you can work, how many jobs you can hold, or how many income generating assets you may own.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep, this gets left out of the conversation all of the time despite the fact that we live in a country where people make anywhere between $0 and $1 Billion per year.  There is no homogeneous wage or salary that that the majority of people make and there is not law limiting how much you can make, how many hours you can work, how many jobs you can hold, or how many income generating assets you may own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned from my dad at a young age that you should have at least two sources of income. Plus your wife having an income.

My dad worked 7n7 and then worked on his days off.

I own two businesses and in the past have owned a business and worked for someone.

Same with my dads, dad, gramps would work 7n7 then days off commercial fish.

Both retired at 55
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tell me again that you can't find a used car for under $10k in cash.

Crown Victoria
View Quote

A 20 year old Ford. What could possibly go wrong
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I tell my kids' (12 and 16) these kind of stories all the time.  They are part of the larger lesson of financial responsibility and sacrifice for a comfortable future.  One thing my father in law said to me a few months back was that some young people in their 20's want to live the comfortable life of their parents without making those sacrifices.  I'm sure it's true for a lot of people.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#27]
It's cheaper to buy new now. I bought a new at 1.9% for 3 years. I get over twice that rate on my savings so no reason to pay it off.

Base 2023 Corolla LE
TOTAL PRICE (MSRP) (AS BUILT)$22,645

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
People use the word "need" a lot. I don't need a couple hundred grand worth of vehicles in the driveway, and a boat to fish in, but I like it.  I don't need a safe full of nice guns, but I like them. I don't need to go see my son play at Carnegie Hall, but I'm going to do so because I want to.  I carry some debt, but the money I've saved makes more than I pay on interest.

I've worked my ass off for a long time to be able to afford to do stuff that I want, rather than subsist on what I need.  I've already done the subsistence thing plenty  I have decided that I enjoy doing stuff and having stuff just because it's what I want.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A lifetime of auto payments each month. Used vehicles with over 50k miles for over $30k?!

Don’t even get me started on affordable housing that’s not in the ghetto!

I’ve got 5 years till my youngest is out of high school and I’m going to live down by the city dump in an abandoned boxcar…..

FREEDOM!!!!
View Quote

I haven't made a car payment since I got out of college 20 years ago.    With a little bit of common sense, and some mechanical knowledge.....nice used cars are easy to find, and will last you years.  Why people go out and spend $50K++ on new vehicles every couple of years blows my mind.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
84 month $75k borrowed master race
View Quote

Yeah, F all that…
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is one to mess with your head. Soviet Union, what did that name actually mean. You might see something like a Soviet being like a village group of elders, or a local communist committee. Here is another definition. When serfdom was abolished in Russia it was done like a sick joke. Your free now with a catch. Former serfs were in debt for more then they were ever expected to be able to pay forever as a cost for buying their freedom. You die, doesn't matter your children still pay. The Soviets were the local committees set up by the Tsar to enforce payment. All this freedom stuff didn't apply to the Soviets since they had authority to do whatever it took or make any rule as long as it was vaguely under the idea of getting the money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A lifetime of auto payments each month. Used vehicles with over 50k miles for over $30k?!

Don’t even get me started on affordable housing that’s not in the ghetto!

I’ve got 5 years till my youngest is out of high school and I’m going to live down by the city dump in an abandoned boxcar…..

FREEDOM!!!!
View Quote

Awhile boxcar to yourself? Lucky.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Free money?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
0%

Sorry about your credit rating

This doesn’t sound good, it sounds like slavery.    Also, you over paid, by at least $1500

You know what is also 0%?       Being debt free.    

Someone doesn't understand the concept of free money.

Free money?

And yet there is.  You buy a new car with a 0 interest loan just before an inflationary period, you get an interest free loan and your car is under warranty for 3-5 years.  That's free money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tell my kids' (12 and 16) these kind of stories all the time.  They are part of the larger lesson of financial responsibility and sacrifice for a comfortable future.  One thing my father in law said to me a few months back was that some young people in their 20's want to live the comfortable life of their parents without making those sacrifices.  I'm sure it's true for a lot of people.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171305/how-teens-can-become-millionaires-graphi-2667259.JPG
View Quote
Sorry to break it to Jack but 2.3m ain't gonna be worth shit in 47 years
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is no free lunch op....I learned this the hard way over the years.

My wife especially cant keep a car for long and I get bored with cars quickly.

So I opened up a small independant dealer so I can make some money and also not lose my ass on cars.
View Quote

I thought you were a fan of scooters ;)
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The principle of "free money" is just an expression that describes 0% interest loans.  Basically, the interest rate on a loan is the "price" of the money, and so if someone is willing to lend you money at 0% then you are not paying anything to borrow the money - you can think about it as getting the money "at cost."  If you have opportunities to invest money to make a positive return (say 2%) and someone is willing to lend you money at 0% interest - then that is in fact "free money" - because you can borrow at no cost, and then invest the "free" money to earn interest.  The interest earned is revenue, and you had no cost.  Thus: free money (which you can use to buy lunch with ).

Obviously, it get a little more complicated when the 0% loan is used to buy a depreciating asset, which is what is being discussed here. But the logic is the same.  By using 0% interest money to finance a car, that frees up money you otherwise might have had to use, and you can use that money to invest.  

View Quote

Are you an MBA or a CPA? You are also very eloquent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some people crave and need the feel of a harness and some don't. Neither group can really explain themselves to the other.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you an MBA or a CPA? You are also very eloquent.
View Quote

What an interesting limit on what he or she could be...
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What an interesting limit on what he or she could be...
View Quote

I mean that is fair and I am making an assumption but it seemed like the person explained this before because they did a very good job of it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The principle of "free money" is just an expression that describes 0% interest loans.  Basically, the interest rate on a loan is the "price" of the money, and so if someone is willing to lend you money at 0% then you are not paying anything to borrow the money - you can think about it as getting the money "at cost."  If you have opportunities to invest money to make a positive return (say 2%) and someone is willing to lend you money at 0% interest - then that is in fact "free money" - because you can borrow at no cost, and then invest the "free" money to earn interest.  The interest earned is revenue, and you had no cost.  Thus: free money (which you can use to buy lunch with ).

Obviously, it get a little more complicated when the 0% loan is used to buy a depreciating asset, which is what is being discussed here. But the logic is the same.  By using 0% interest money to finance a car, that frees up money you otherwise might have had to use, and you can use that money to invest.  

View Quote

No one seems to factor in the cost of the free money, as one poster pointed out. How many thousands of dollars is the dealership tacting onto the final price to give you the luxury of borrowing their money at 0%?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Lol.

My wife bought another vehicle in May, she was just going to buy it outright but I asked her to see what the financing looked like. 60mo at 3.1% that = free money not slavery when the same credit union now has a jumbo CD paying 4.5%
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much is your company allowance
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#45]
My vehicles are paid for.  I do have a loan on my golf cart.  

I could pay it off, but it’d wipe out my emergency fund, and I have a very low interest rate.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
These threads crack me up. No way OP knows everyone’s situation. Many people have car payments that easily fit in their salary/budget.
View Quote

I'm driving a 95, wife drives a 96.  Our "good car" is a 2011.  We avoid car payments by driving a vehicle as long as possible.  When the inevitable breakdown occurs, I do the math and feel better about paying for repairs instead of interest on a loan...

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

And thanks to inflation, the asset isn't depreciating as quickly as usual.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No one seems to factor in the cost of the free money, as one poster pointed out. How many thousands of dollars is the dealership tacting onto the final price to give you the luxury of borrowing their money at 0%?
View Quote

And you aren't factoring in the benefits of a full warranty for 3-5 years.  Without it, you pay for everything that goes wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know about that. I have a couple years left on a note and the interest rate is lower than inflation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Find a used yellow school bus. Convert to home.
View Quote

Hope it's a short bus to go with that retarded idea
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top