Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Watched a tv show that had some seal snipers try to make the shots and they could not hit the number of shots in the timeframe either. I’ve been to the location and looked out the window… first shot would seem easy, but the follow ups in the time he did with a shit Italian rifle seems a bit off… especially with the adrenaline he would have had pumping through him.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The issue is the absolute impossibility that one pristine bullet caused all that carnage while defying the laws of physics a couple three times.
The Swamp killed Kennedy because he was not going to cave to the military industrial complex
View Quote

Ain’t seen many people shot in the head with a rifle have you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Carlos Hathcock Couldn't Duplicate Lee Harvey Oswald's Feat
View Quote
I read Carlos Hathcock's biography, and don't remember anything about him recreating this event.

I was a Lieutenant at the Basic School when Hathcock was an instructor there. Ate some meals with him, too. I'll just say that he no doubt had some amazing combat experiences, but he was also a bullshit artist.

Decades ago, when you could still actually sit in the book depository's window, I visited it and didn't think it was an impossible shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mitchell Werbell delivered a suppressed rifle to a hotel room in Dallas a few days before the assassination and he recognized 3 of 5 individuals in the room as people he knew or previously worked with including E. Howard Hunt.  He told this to an investigator for the Select Committee on Assassinations in an interview at his home in Georgia.
View Quote

I have never heard this story before. Was this in the Warren Report?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You've never shot birds or game that is moving?

lol this dudes shooting trap with a fucking AR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7dfxk8bvM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.

Sure, that one shot, in a vacuum, on a stationary target.

But it wasn't one shot, it was three shots. It wasn't in a vacuum, it was on a president. And, he wasn't stationary.

I've never believed in the lone gunman theory and probably never will.
You've never shot birds or game that is moving?

lol this dudes shooting trap with a fucking AR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7dfxk8bvM

There are so many factors that you guys aren't including. This isn't a simple case of "Heheh, my buddies and I shot a paper target at 88 yards from an elevated position and we hit the X ring."

For example:

1. Oswald didn't know where the motorcade was going. It made a left turn and then a right turn to enter Dealey Plaza unannounced.
2. Building off #1, the motorcade, and obviously the target, was moving, and was moving in different directions within the span of seconds.
3. The target wasn't paper. It wasn't clay. It wasn't quail. It wasn't a deer. It was a human being who was also the President of the United States.
4. When you're "recreating" the shot in your deer stand, there aren't 30 different people all around you who you know are trying to kill you within seconds of firing your weapon.
5. It wasn't one shot. It was three shots at minimum (and some experts are convinced it was actually four shots that were taken).
6. Finally, Oswald himself said to the world that he was "a patsy" just hours before being killed himself while in police custody.

We're not talking about recreating those shots, because you can't recreate the circumstances surrounding those shots...unless you really are trying to shoot and kill the sitting President of the United States and all that goes with that.

It's like watching Steph Curry or Larry Bird taking (but not necessarily making) a 3pt shot to win game 7 of the finals and then saying, "Meh. Almost anybody with a little bit of skill could've made that shot" while ignoring it's at the end of an 82 game regular season and another 20 playoff games, at the end of game 7 where you've been playing your ass off for 40 minutes against the best players in the world and then having the pressure of the entire season resting your shoulders as you release the ball towards the net with one second remaining.

Standing in your backyard behind a 3pt line and taking a shot at the basket isn't recreating shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is the absolute impossibility that one pristine bullet caused all that carnage while defying the laws of physics a couple three times.
The Swamp killed Kennedy because he was not going to cave to the military industrial complex

More than I’ve cared to, actually, but the Magic Bullet was not the head shot.
The Swamp killed Kennedy and the head shot came from the front.
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was what... a miss, a head shot, and upper back, hit? That's a spread of probably... 12 inches or more? At ~80 yards?

He got lucky with the head shot. But that was one of three.
View Quote

The "upper back" shot was the back of his neck, which is an even smaller target than his head.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmY6HmR4fs&pp=ygUXSmZrIHNob290aW5nIHJlY3JlYXRpb24%3D

11 different shooters, all of them familiar with bolt actions but unfamiliar with the exact rifle (fitted with the same 4x scope as Oswald had)

Shooting tower at the correct height, target on rails moving away at the exact angle and traveling 11 mph. Shooters given 6 seconds to fire 3 shots.

Not only was it shown to be doable, but two shooters beat the time while scoring 2 out of 3 hits. One shooter beat the time and hit 3 of 3.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

_
View Quote

The head is a vacuum. It’s been my experience that when a human head is stuck with a high power rifle round everything inside of it tends to go outside and in a very rapid and violent manner. Not so much with a pistol round, but a rifle round is devastating. And it doesn’t have to deform the bullet to accomplish that. If the bullet had deformed or came apart it would have likely been a much more gruesome outcome.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re basing your sentiment on lies.

The bullet wasn’t pristine, far from it in fact.

It never defied the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The head is a vacuum. It’s been my experience that when a human head is stuck with a high power rifle round everything inside of it tends to go outside and in a very rapid and violent manner. Not so much with a pistol round, but a rifle round is devastating. And it doesn’t have to deform the bullet to accomplish that. If the bullet had deformed or came apart it would have likely been a much more gruesome outcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

_

The pristine magic bullet was not the head shot.
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had never heard of that before either.

Back in the day I heard that the Warren Commission had used two if not more rifle experts in order to test the rifle and approximately the same conditions out.

Maybe Hathcock was one of those.
View Quote

Hathcock was a LCpl Marine MP at the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
How many books would he have sold otherwise?
Where's the Marine study? It has to be public domain or he wouldn't have seen it.
People think bolt guns are Fuddly slow but they can be manipulated with the off hand very fast while your eyes never leave the target and your finger the trigger.
Another no proof "what else could it be" conspiracy theory, take your place in line.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are so many factors that you guys aren't including. This isn't a simple case of "Heheh, my buddies and I shot a paper target at 88 yards from an elevated position and we hit the X ring."

For example:

1. Oswald didn't know where the motorcade was going. It made a left turn and then a right turn to enter Dealey Plaza unannounced.
2. Building off #1, the motorcade, and obviously the target, was moving, and was moving in different directions within the span of seconds.
3. The target wasn't paper. It wasn't clay. It wasn't quail. It wasn't a deer. It was a human being who was also the President of the United States.
4. When you're "recreating" the shot in your deer stand, there aren't 30 different people all around you who you know are trying to kill you within seconds of firing your weapon.
5. It wasn't one shot. It was three shots at minimum (and some experts are convinced it was actually four shots that were taken).
6. Finally, Oswald himself said to the world that he was "a patsy" just hours before being killed himself while in police custody.

We're not talking about recreating those shots, because you can't recreate the circumstances surrounding those shots...unless you really are trying to shoot and kill the sitting President of the United States and all that goes with that.

It's like watching Steph Curry or Larry Bird taking (but not necessarily making) a 3pt shot to win game 7 of the finals and then saying, "Meh. Almost anybody with a little bit of skill could've made that shot" while ignoring it's at the end of an 82 game regular season and another 20 playoff games, at the end of game 7 where you've been playing your ass off for 40 minutes against the best players in the world and then having the pressure of the entire season resting your shoulders as you release the ball towards the net with one second remaining.

Standing in your backyard behind a 3pt line and taking a shot at the basket isn't recreating shit.
View Quote

Sounds like an awful lot of excusing away an inability to do what Oswald was able to do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you agree that the Warren Commission is the swamp ?
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How did you duplicate the stress levels that would be induced by taking the shot in broad daylight with the intended target being the leader of the free world?

It's not a difficult shot when done on paper with range conditions.

I think the psychological aspect of the shot is often overlooked/rarely considered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS. Been recreated mnay times.  

My high school buddies did it with a deer stand shooting into a draw with paper targets. Rifle was an iron sighted #4 Enfield since none of us owned a Carcano.  

For the record, we also duplicated the MLK shooting with the same rifle.

This is the sort of thread that convinces me that a hell of a lot of GD has never touched a rifle outside a video game.

How did you duplicate the stress levels that would be induced by taking the shot in broad daylight with the intended target being the leader of the free world?

I think the psychological aspect of the shot is often overlooked/rarely considered.

You are projecting your own nervousness here.     According to your theory, Nobody could ever be shot.    

Not everybody is you.   For some people, extra pressure helps them focus.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Back in the day I heard that the Warren Commission had used two if not more rifle experts in order to test the rifle and approximately the same conditions out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have we been able to even confirm which of those two sources supposedly cited Hathcock?

If Hathcock were crying foul about how the Warren Commission captured his expert opinion, I think we'd have heard of that by now.

At this point, I remain highly dubious.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

_
View Quote

According to the Warren Commissions theory. In reality we really don’t know which one it actually was.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I had an Carcano just like LHO's. Made in the same factory (Terni IIRC) however I did not have a crappy scope, I had the crappy iron sights. At the range I set up three targets, 26yds, 50yds and 75yds (probably not the exact distances, this was long ago but I did set them up at the range LHO made his shots.
I made three good hits and beat LHO's time by 1 1/2 seconds. My targets were stationary, couldn't find a friend who would drive a convertible limo down range with a few watermelons on the trunk but the shots were not difficult. So either I am better than Hathcock (No freakin' way in hell) or someone is lying to you.
I bet any of our C&R guys with the same rifle (only a collector would have a M39 Carcano) and our good shooters could probably cut the time in half.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

_
View Quote

Deflection: a common tactic of conspiracy theorists when shown to be wrong.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.
View Quote
Same.  I always thought it was some crazy long range shot until I stood there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CBS recreated this in 1967 and an old man was able to get three head shots on 5.2 seconds.  What's the issue here?

No, the issue in this thread is whether those shots were possible. Another issue common to any topic involving conspiracy theories is the inability to stay on subject.

We are looking at but one aspect of the claims rejecting the prevailing account. That aspect is whether the shots would have been possible by a semi-competent marksman, so equipped.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

_
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_

I’m willing to bet good money you’ve never read even the summary of the Warren report, let alone its entirety. And that you’re making all of these statements based on an amalgamation of conspiracy theories that have zero basis in fact, have already been debunked many times over, and are perpetuated repeatedly on this site every time this conversation comes up.  

The truth, as they say, is out there.   The best part is, were this to happen today, no one would question the shot came from the Texas School Book Depository.  Applying the technology that would prove that now to what happened on November 22, 1963 is never good enough for people, though, because they’ve been jaded and twisted by 60 years of conspiracies.  Even though this mystery has been easily solved for at least 10 of those 60 years now

Nothing I can say here will change your mind.  I stopped trying in GD several of these discussions ago.  

Now I just sit back with the popcorn like Michael Jackson

So, please continue….from the front, you were saying?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

According to the Warren Commissions theory. In reality we really don’t know which one it actually was.
View Quote

They recovered frag from his head and the "stretcher" bullet that is far from pristine. Unless you believe the evidence is falsified it's pretty obvious both of the recovered projectiles hit stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are projecting your own nervousness here.     According to your theory, Nobody could ever be shot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS. Been recreated mnay times.  

My high school buddies did it with a deer stand shooting into a draw with paper targets. Rifle was an iron sighted #4 Enfield since none of us owned a Carcano.  

For the record, we also duplicated the MLK shooting with the same rifle.

This is the sort of thread that convinces me that a hell of a lot of GD has never touched a rifle outside a video game.

He’s actually spot on as to why Oswald totally missed the first ( easiest ) shot. He scored a hit with the next shot and high tailed it outta there. The Swamp green lighted the frontal shot when it became instantly apparent that the peacenik Catholic President was still alive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

_

fair enough
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

_

Projection says “ hold my vodka “.
I’m trying to see where you’re coming from so I know how to educate you. Appreciate my time on this.
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He’s actually spot on as to why Oswald totally missed the first ( easiest ) shot. He scored a hit with the next shot and high tailed it outta there. The Swamp green lighted the frontal shot when it became instantly apparent that the peacenik Catholic President was still alive.
View Quote

So someone knew that Oswald missed and was not going to take another shot, radioed someone to take the shot, and they took the shot. They did all of this in four seconds?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, the issue in this thread is whether those shots were possible. Another issue common to any topic involving conspiracy theories is the inability to stay on subject.

We are looking at but one aspect of the claims rejecting the prevailing account. That aspect is whether the shots would have been possible by a semi-competent marksman, so equipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CBS recreated this in 1967 and an old man was able to get three head shots on 5.2 seconds.  What's the issue here?

With iron sights the shots were stupid simple. The cheesy optic probably made it less simple ( especially under the stress of totally missing the first shot )
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’m trying to see where you’re coming from so I know how to educate you. Appreciate my time on this.
_
View Quote

You’ve changed the subject.

The comment you made was on the condition of the bullet and the path it took.

I’ve informed you that the bullet wasn’t pristine(this is no mystery as there are pictures of it and an ACTUAL unfired one for comparison) and the “magical” path it took, again easily disproven.

Now, you want to switch gears.  That’s what you people do.    Fuck that, I’m not playing the conspiracist’s game.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They recovered frag from his head and the "stretcher" bullet that is far from pristine. Unless you believe the evidence is falsified it's pretty obvious both of the recovered projectiles hit stuff.
View Quote

I think you misjudged what I’m saying. I’m not saying it was pristine or that it didn’t hit anything. My point is that a rifle bullet doesn’t necessarily have to be severely deformed to cause such catastrophic damage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unannounced? That very series of turns was published in the newspaper, at least a day prior.  A map, and a text description of the route: ... At Main and Houston, it will turn to Elm and then go out Stemmons...

Oh, and ... The car, a blue Lincoln Continental, is an open air convertible ...
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Moving?
No. Lol

Edit: if I did, then mostlikely not consistently.
View Quote

You seriously cannot hit a target moving slowly away from you at 60 yards? That's roughly the distance from my kitchen door to the trash can  and I routinely kill coyotes with a .22 Magnum bolt gun from a standing position.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’ve informed you that the bullet wasn’t pristine(this is no mystery as there are pictures of it and an ACTUAL unfired one for comparison) and the “magical” path it took, again easily disproven.

Now, you want to switch gears.  That’s what you people do.    Fuck that, I’m not playing the conspiracist’s game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

_

You know where I’m going with this and no amount of verbiage is gettin you outta checkmate.
Is the Warren Commission the swamp ?
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have to protect the hubris and jingosim that people woke up with on 12-7-1941,11-22-1963, and 9-11-2001. Pretending it can't happen fosters the attitude that leads to it happening again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Unannounced? That very series of turns was published in the newspaper, at least a day prior.  A map, and a text description of the route: ... At Main and Houston, it will turn to Elm and then go out Stemmons...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. How else would ALL those people be out there and ready to watch him go by?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The "upper back" shot was the back of his neck, which is an even smaller target than his head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was what... a miss, a head shot, and upper back, hit? That's a spread of probably... 12 inches or more? At ~80 yards?

He got lucky with the head shot. But that was one of three.

He wasn't aiming at the neck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#40]
A bit of Carcano trivia.
They were originally all 6.5mm, eventually the Italians decided they needed more power and came up with the 7.35mm however war was coming and there wasn't time to rearm so they went back to the 6.5mm. Later in the war ammo and gun shortages forced the axis into rebarreling the Carcanos to 8x57mm, the standard german rifle cartridge. Apparently it worked well enough though today folk are warnd this conversion is a bit on the unsafe side.
Oh, the Carcano held one of the Italian militaries secret weapons. Gain twist rifling. Yes it also worked but later the general consensus was it was not worth the effort.
The rifles were strong and accurate enough but in my opinion the fixed sights sucked.

I know the rifle could do it but have no clue on what the truth might be. This last decade+ has taught me to not believe a damn word the .gov says.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

the Carcano is nowhere the crap rifle it was made out to be. It had huge numbers for foreign nation buys. It's a pretty decent rifle.
View Quote

I don't think any nation adopted a crap rifle as standard issue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't think any nation adopted a crap rifle as standard issue.
View Quote

Let me introduce you to the 1888 Chinese Mauser.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes, but you're looking at it from a single-shot perspective.  You are quantifying this by thinking, I could easily be here in this window, aim and fire one shot with a rifle at that X and get a hit at that distance.

Things you aren't taking into account:

- It was 3 shots in just under 6 seconds on a bolt action rifle.  Two have to be hits.
- Target was moving.  Albeit slowly, it was moving.
- Stress (time, cover, ensuring you're not seen/stopped by others in the building, etc)
- Tree and foliage in the way (at the time).
- Crappy rifle and crappy ammo.

I'm not saying that Oswald didn't do it - just pointing out the absurdity of simply going to Dealey Plaza, into the TSBD and looking out the window thinking, "wow - what an easy shot".
View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The route was published in advance. And I think it was a 10 mile route in the open air convertible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#46]
In a way it's two shots in six seconds because the timer starts with the first shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You seriously cannot hit a target moving slowly away from you at 60 yards? That's roughly the distance from my kitchen door to the trash can  and I routinely kill coyotes with a .22 Magnum bolt gun from a standing position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moving?
No. Lol

Edit: if I did, then mostlikely not consistently.

I mean this little girl is hitting pieces of wood throwing with a BB gun lol. This other guy is plugging moving clay with a pistol to include a 60 yard one handed static shot.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vaiRbx4W6Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rqtLrXk_U

Even under duress this isn't a difficult shot with a supported and scoped battle rifle.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You know where I’m going with this and no amount of verbiage is gettin you outta checkmate.
_
View Quote

No I actually don’t, and I don’t care.  You’ve moved the goalposts.  There’s no checkmate, because I’ve left the table after you’ve decided to make your own rules.  Argue your falsehoods with someone who is dumb enough to fall for them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You know where I'm going with this and no amount of verbiage is gettin you outta checkmate.
_
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projection says " hold my vodka ".
I'm trying to see where you're coming from so I know how to educate you. Appreciate my time on this.
_

You've changed the subject.

I've informed you that the bullet wasn't pristine(this is no mystery as there are pictures of it and an ACTUAL unfired one for comparison) and the "magical" path it took, again easily disproven.

Now, you want to switch gears.  That's what you people do.    Fuck that, I'm not playing the conspiracist's game.

You know where I'm going with this and no amount of verbiage is gettin you outta checkmate.
_
WTF does that have to do with anything?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top