Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/7/2021 6:42:30 PM EDT
Can I legally string razor wire back and forth underneath my truck?????

Had three Toyota Tundras towed in this week with the cats cut off. One of them has been hit twice and it only has 700 miles on the clock. OEM replacement with O2 sensors is about 6k. Keep your shit locked up…
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a larger diameter tubing around the exhaust in front and behind the cats. Large enough so it spins freely.  Makes it next to impossible to cut out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Does comp insurance cover that?    Dunno about Razor wire, but Fwiw-They make a protector for it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put a larger diameter tubing around the exhaust in front and behind the cats. Large enough so it spins freely.  Makes it next to impossible to cut out.
View Quote

How is this done?   Gotta pic?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a company (I forget the name) that sells plates you can bolt to the bottom to make theft more difficult, but they're a bit expensive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Remove it yourself
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Weld strips of wire rope fore and aft on the tubing. Put a few around the cross member too.

Make it a bitch to get the thing off basically, sawing wire rope while it's flopping around sucks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
De cat for the HP and the win
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How is this done?   Gotta pic?
View Quote

No pics readily available.

Cut off the cats 1-2" from the cats. Slip on a piece of Stainless Steel exhaust tubing that is 1/8th to 1/4" larger in diameter. Slide the outer tubing up. Reweld the cats in.

There is a shop that a buddy works at that charges $300 for it.

You cannot do it will all vehicles, and some you need to remove most of the exhaust up to and including the headers to do it.

But if the cat is easily accessible, it is a simple job.

If you try to cut it the SS tubing just spins or rattles around. Makes it next to impossible to cut off without taking a long time or royal pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah except that tubing will rattle to hell and back anytime the engine is running.

Also, whats to stop someone from simply holding the tubing in place while running the sawzall?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah except that tubing will rattle to hell and back anytime the engine is running.

Also, whats to stop someone from simply holding the tubing in place while running the sawzall?
View Quote

I am pretty sure they tack it in. And this has been a long known technique to prevent theft of other items. I have seen similar designs for bike locks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Full skid plates also help with this converter theft.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Landmine mounted to underside of vehicle, silicone block between cat and pressure switch on mine...
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
go catless and get an e85 tune
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Cat thieves suck. The shop I work in recently had a customer that had his cats cut off in a commuter lot. They also happened to cut the gas lines, so his Tundra instantly set on fire underneath from the fuel spraying directly on the flames coming out of the manifold.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Remove it yourself
View Quote

This.  I remember some years back buying a “racing catalytic converter” for my rice burner.  It was a piece of straight pipe with flanges.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Cut out your cat yourself, scrap it for $$$, install straight pipe for $. Anything else is gay
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Tagged.

My DD is a Tundra and cat theft is definitely an issue around Houston.

If anyone has found a good shield or other aftermarket solve that would work on a 2013 Tundra can you please share?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Grenades. Rig one up to blow the entire parking lot to Kingdom Come if someone touches your Cat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone in a similar thread posted about laying concrete pavers on the ground tall enough to fill the void under the vehicle and parking on top.  Drive pins through pavers into ground to prevent pullout.   Carefully park on top.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
A civilized nation would have dead thieves strung up from phone poles over this shit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Had three Toyota Tundras towed in this week with the cats cut off. One of them has been hit twice and it only has 700 miles on the clock. OEM replacement with O2 sensors is about 6k. Keep your shit locked up…
View Quote

Who came up with that number???

Checked with my toyota parts guy, he said $4500 for both cats now, back ordered like a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a guy here in S.A. who sells cat covers for Tundras for like $300 I think.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Someone in a similar thread posted about laying concrete pavers on the ground tall enough to fill the void under the vehicle and parking on top.  Drive pins through pavers into ground to prevent pullout.   Carefully park on top.
View Quote

That's the dumbest fucking shit I've ever heard.

Just put a skid plate below the cat.  You're not dealing with smart people, you're dealing with guys looking for an easy score.  A skid plate will confuse them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A civilized nation would have dead thieves strung up from phone poles over this shit.
View Quote

A free nation would have strung up the government prick that came up with the idea of making the fucking things mandatory anyway.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tagged.

My DD is a Tundra and cat theft is definitely an issue around Houston.

If anyone has found a good shield or other aftermarket solve that would work on a 2013 Tundra can you please share?
View Quote

I dd a 2013, DM me if you find anything and I'll do likewise.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a guy here in S.A. who sells cat covers for Tundras for like $300 I think.
View Quote

Imagine that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Checked with my toyota parts guy, he said $4500 for both cats now, back ordered like a bitch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently did an '02 Highlander in my shop due to theft.  I installed a factory Toyota cat converter and the bill came to $1972.  It didn't need any O2 sensors but still expensive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Fully Automated Paintball Sentry Gun (video 17 of 18)
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Just straight pipe the trucks
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Rig a vibration sensor on your exhaust system that collapses your suspension when it senses the exhaust system vibrating with the engine off.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Imagine that.
View Quote

You want one or not???

What's your deductible???

Cats are backordered weeks or months up to a MONTH now.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Had three Toyota Tundras towed in this week with the cats cut off. One of them has been hit twice and it only has 700 miles on the clock. OEM replacement with O2 sensors is about 6k. Keep your shit locked up
View Quote
Kind of related. The homeless tore down the wire that we had on the fence tops at our business.

We shored up the top and patched the voids.

They dug under the fence. We filled in the voids and put razor wire there.

We had a visit from the police. Apparently, we were not allowed to put razor wire on the ground sections of the fence.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I would probably do a sting operation after getting hit more than once.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#34]

That was awesome.

ETA: Can't stop laughing. Ow! Fuck!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#35]
If I straight pipe, should I hang onto the OE parts for resale, or pocket the $6K?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Camp out under the truck every night, nude.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Go catless or go home!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd have to cut the politicians down to make room for the petty thieves
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Offroad Desert Eagle has cat cover for tundra and sequoia for $300

Contact Kent at (214) 287-8960
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Remove it yourself
View Quote

This
Make a bypass that fits in place of the cat. There are other details that will allow you to no get a CEL.
If you know how to to the first part, you should know how to do the second.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I know a guy that kept getting his stereo stolen so he put in razor blades so it couldn’t be grabbed. He ended up getting sued. Put a tube of Hastalloy around it with a very light tack weld. Just enough so it doesn’t rattle around. They will never be able to cut it with a saws all.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not familiar with the layout of a tundra exhaust but Normally they are not nice enough to leave the flanges on the the pipes. So they cut the flanges out you need the pipe the flanges is on too.

$6k is the average bill for asshats stealing cats on Honda’s. Atleast the ones I’ve dealt with at work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This
Make a bypass that fits in place of the cat. There are other details that will allow you to no get a CEL.
If you know how to to the first part, you should know how to do the second.
View Quote

Know the 1st part

Please IM link or intel to 2nd part

TIA
@JRCmx

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Had an employee have one stolen from our parking lot in an industrial park in Aurora CO last week. We were able to find the incident on cctv, took the thieves less than 4 minutes from getting out of their vehicle to taking off.  They posted a lookout, the getaway driver was wearing a collared white shirt, honestly looked like a sales rep.  They parked next to the victims vehicle and used their getaway car open doors to screen from vision.  The thieves definitely had an organized operation.

Tried to get a response out of the police, but they weren't interested. Told them I had pretty good video, desk clerk asked if I had plate numbers for the criminals, I didn't, the thieves had no plates on the new Ford Explorer they were driving. Cops said no need to get us video, file an online police report.  We got an automated reply back. Very frustrating when police are disinterested in organized theft.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Offroad Desert Eagle has cat cover for tundra and sequoia for $300

Contact Kent at (214) 287-8960
View Quote

Yup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Bag your truck and drop it to the frame when you park.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Trunk Monkey with a hatchet to chop the perps feet off or let the floor jack down while he's underneath.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Oooh, thought of another idea. Just put it up on Harbor Freight jack stands, might as well be a booby trap.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oooh, thought of another idea. Just put it up on Harbor Freight jack stands, might as well be a booby trap.
View Quote

Hunting over bait is illegal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top