[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go catless and get an e85 tune
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pour a concrete sidewalk down the center of the parking spot to take up the clearance under the vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at Cateye.
https://www.catstrap.net/product-performance
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Full skid plates also help with this converter theft.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did they tow them?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a video going around in my AO.  I'll have to see if I can find it again.  Thieves went to a church to steal the catalytic converters off the church busses.  They had been stolen in the past and a cage welded over each one.  One of the thieves crawls under one of the buses, sees the cage, comes back out and flips off the camera.  The fucking balls on some people...
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know a guy that kept getting his stereo stolen so he put in razor blades so it couldn't be grabbed. He ended up getting sued.
View Quote

That's another thing that's wrong with this country.  Who in the fuck would make it a crime to protect yourself from thieves in this manner?  

Anyone getting injured trying to steal something gets what they deserve.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I mean, shit man, if you somehow ran over razor wire and it got tangled up around your exhaust...........

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I would prefer that citizens be able to use cameras to catch the thieves in the act and fucking blast them without getting fucked with by the legal industry. Cat theft would stop in a hurry with the quickness.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pour a concrete sidewalk down the center of the parking spot to take up the clearance under the vehicle.
View Quote

This is so simple and brilliant. A cheaper version could be a metal frame in the same shape as the concrete filler that is bolted to the ground.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Remove it yourself
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's a video going around in my AO.  I'll have to see if I can find it again.  Thieves went to a church to steal the catalytic converters off the church busses.  They had been stolen in the past and a cage welded over each one.  One of the thieves crawls under one of the buses, sees the cage, comes back out and flips off the camera.  The fucking balls on some people...
View Quote

Fucking scum- "how dare you make it harder for me to steal your stuff".
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]

The shitty congo movie in the 90's is real!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems like hardly anyone has options for the tundra.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Take a look at Cateye.
View Quote

We had them cut our fences and steal cats off over 15 new bucket trucks. The company had cateyes installed when they replaced the cats. A month later they came back and took all the new replacement cats and left the cut up cateyes next to the trucks.  
The company finally installed a real security system.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Park in a garage
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Put a larger diameter tubing around the exhaust in front and behind the cats. Large enough so it spins freely.  Makes it next to impossible to cut out.
View Quote

Beat the thieves to the punch: Cut it out yourself, get better fuel economy along with more horsepower.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a business opportunity for some enterprising young roof koreans.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of them has been hit twice and it only has 700 miles on the clock.
View Quote

Lol WTF??

Where is this??

Set up a stand and put some 00 in their legs and then post tik-tocs and spit dip in their face while they bleed out
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
All my cars are too old to have cats, so its not a problem.  Well, except my 2007ish honda grocery getter.  But I dont really care about that one.  If they cut it off, it'd just sound like every other fart can honda out there.

I did help my mother in law sell her rice rocket eclipse not too long ago.  While I was getting it ready, I pulled the codes from the computer and it was throwing a code for 1 of the catalytic converters being bad.  Turns out that car had 4 of them.  You'd have to have the front 2/3 of the car skid-plated to block somebody steeling them all.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Tundra Catalytic Converter protection skid plate
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#25]
You can fool the rear (post cat) O2 sensor by using two anti-foul spark plug adapters.  Giggle it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can fool the rear (post cat) O2 sensor by using two anti-foul spark plug adapters.  Giggle it.
View Quote

Depending on the o2 sensor a simple resistor soldered between the two leads takes care of it.

You just need to know the ohm reading for normal operation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Cat thieves hit our church vans twice so far. Have them on video but the first time it was too far away. Second time their vehicle was in the way of the camera. High school camera got it but couldn't read the plates. Don't remember if they didn't have plates or they had something over them.

Wife saw a vehicle parked across the street a couple weeks ago taking pics of our vans. She took a pic of them and they took off. Had something over the plate that blurred the image on a phone camera though.

Cops know who's doing it. Ukrainians and it's organized. Not sure why they haven't done anything about it, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can I legally string razor wire back and forth underneath my truck?????

Had three Toyota Tundras towed in this week with the cats cut off. One of them has been hit twice and it only has 700 miles on the clock. OEM replacement with O2 sensors is about 6k. Keep your shit locked up…
View Quote

Burglar bomb with OC spray will do the trick as long as you don't have cats trying to hang out under there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#29]
9mm for catalytic converter theft.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know a guy that kept getting his stereo stolen so he put in razor blades so it couldn’t be grabbed. He ended up getting sued. Put a tube of Hastalloy around it with a very light tack weld. Just enough so it doesn’t rattle around. They will never be able to cut it with a saws all.
View Quote

The stereo lawsuit sounds like the makings of an urban legend that someone heard from a friend of a friend.  Do you happen to have a case name, newspaper article or some other verifiable reference?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depending on the o2 sensor a simple resistor soldered between the two leads takes care of it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol WTF??

Where is this??

Set up a stand and put some 00 in their legs and then post tik-tocs and spit dip in their face while they bleed out
View Quote

Sounds good to me Josey (Wales)
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]
In Kent, WA they found 800 stolen cats in a storage container last week.
Nearly 800 stolen catalytic converters recovered by Kent police

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Someone told me how to fix this... it's called "parking in your garage".
View Quote

So edgy, guess you bring your garage with you to work and out to eat.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Had my daughters 08 prius cat stolen last Thursday.  They took  in our driveway at 0400. Don't know what we are going to do. $2900 and the dealership doesn't  know when they are getting  any in. This has really bothered me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Had my daughters 08 prius cat stolen last Thursday.  They took  in our driveway at 0400. Don't know what we are going to do. $2900 and the dealership doesn't  know when they are getting  any in. This has really bothered me.
View Quote

A prius?????  They're expanding it seems like.  They were going after trucks and SUV's because they are east to get underneath but a prius, I would think, would require a floor jack at a minimum.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A prius?????  They're expanding it seems like.  They were going after trucks and SUV's because they are east to get underneath but a prius, I would think, would require a floor jack at a minimum.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently Prius cats have more precious metal then the others and because they are hybrid, the cats don't burn up as quickly. Gen 2 prius is the most sought after.

Most stolen:
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Prius
Toyota Tacoma
Ford F-250
Honda Element & CRV
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Smog techs in CA are failing vehicles with replacement cats and anti theft devices on them.
Cats have to be OEM or CA approved with visible approval numbers on them. If the cat shield blocks said number, they fail the vehicle, directing it to the smog ref for approval.
And CARB outfitting a late model truck with non approved cats, putting cat shields on it and sending it in as an undercover vehicle to trip up/fine smog techs sounds exactly like something CARB would do.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So edgy, guess you bring your garage with you to work and out to eat.
View Quote

Workout and eat in your garage, too.  Duh.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Thieves stole my daughter's cat two weeks ago at her work.  Honda Pilot.  It has two main cats attached to the manifold, then a Y, then a third cat after the Y but before the muffler.  They cut the third cat on either side of the flanges, so nothing to install a new cat to.  Since the O2 sensors are on the main cats, I said fuck it and just put a bypass pipe in.  We don't have smog checks here so we are not even going to replace it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Apparently Prius cats have more precious metal then the others and because they are hybrid, the cats don't burn up as quickly. Gen 2 prius is the most sought after.

Most stolen:
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Prius
Toyota Tacoma
Ford F-250
Honda Element & CRV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most stolen:
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Prius
Toyota Tacoma
Ford F-250
Honda Element & CRV

I have a sequoia and I'd bet the only reason it's not on that list is because it's a low volume vehicle compared to the Tundra about 10:1 if i remember.  I'd bet the people doing this would have no qualms hitting it though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Smog techs in CA are failing vehicles with replacement cats and anti theft devices on them.
Cats have to be OEM or CA approved with visible approval numbers on them. If the cat shield blocks said number, they fail the vehicle, directing it to the smog ref for approval.
And CARB outfitting a late model truck with non approved cats, putting cat shields on it and sending it in as an undercover vehicle to trip up/fine smog techs sounds exactly like something CARB would do.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
.... OEM replacement with O2 sensors is about 6k.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Take a look at Cateye.
View Quote

spam?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Garage
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Put a larger diameter tubing around the exhaust in front and behind the cats. Large enough so it spins freely.  Makes it next to impossible to cut out.
View Quote
The rattling would drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a garage or alarm with motions sensors under truck
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I sell parts for a living. Converter thefts are an epidemic right now. The exhaust jobbers can't keep anything on their shelves. Just in my quiet rural area, they've hit two school bus fleets, the local ag-chemical and fertilizer dealers, and a bunch of tree-trimmer trucks parked in random locations close to their jobsites, etc.  The parts alone for some of these repairs total in the $5-$6k range and for some of the older vehicles, the parts are obsolete and nearly non-existent.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In Kent, WA they found 800 stolen cats in a storage container last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew69ov_6zM0
View Quote

Where was the container going? China or what?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Seriously

Fuck smile and wave policing, bend these fucking ass hats over and literally shove the cutoff cat up their asses until they bleed out and solve the problem once and for all. Fucking with another man's vehicle should be a capital crime.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top