Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few chains for each saw / bar combo that i have..     I swap them out as needed and sharpen them over the winter while tinkering in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
stihl sharpener is what you seek, its pricey at $54 but pays for itself
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

These rock.  I have all three common sizes.  Use them all the time.  Most of the time I use it every tank of gas.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I drop my chains off at the dealer.  They sharpen for eight bucks a chain.  And they do a great job.  I’m usually getting 10-12 done at a time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm able to get good results with just a round file of the correct size, a flat file, and a raker gage.  I'm slow, but I'm a perfectionist so it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to hand file an 18" .325 pitch or 20" 3/8" pitch chain.  (They have the same number of teeth.)  I also sharpen 3/8" LP chain.   It's so easy and the results are good enough that I couldn't see myself taking it in to have someone else sharpen them or buying a new chain before the old is worn out. (Not counting buying spares.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY

Pferd or Stihl sharpener takes most of the mystery out of sharpening as it handles tooth and raker at the same time.

Once a year use may be easier to just buy a chain but sharp chains cut way better so even touching up during light use is a good idea
View Quote

Just don't use it on a skip tooth chain
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Just sharpened 13 chains in ~2 hours from setup to breakdown.

Now I need to find wood to cut for fire wood for next year and the year after.

I am going to hit up some friends and neighbors to see if they need any chains sharpened.

Around here I believe the going price is 10, so 8 (off the saw) should be good.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top