Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife and I spent a wonderful week in Naples three years ago.  The flight path for arrivals and departures was right over our hotel.

I loved watching the air traffic from the restaurant and pool.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vref in that thing is around 115
View Quote

That’s GS on the track, but vref is 1.3 x stall speed in landing configuration so they had speed to spare, around 88kts for stall.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Meh, no big loss for society. Sad people lost their lives but to care based on sportsy personalities is a misplaced life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Left Ohio State University this am on direct to Naples..... wonder who was on it...

Meh, no big loss for society. Sad people lost their lives but to care based on sportsy personalities is a misplaced life.

Yeah, because sports people are the only ones at Ohio State.  They don't have any professors or other employees.  

What an absolutely moronic statement.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, because sports people are the only ones at Ohio State.  They don't have any professors or other employees.  

View Quote

Some people dont think michigan fans be like it is. But it do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
75 will be closed for around 24 hours.  Thankfully it will be a  weekend.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The pilot called in the emergency and said he lost his engines. He was given clearance to land, but he said he wouldn't make it and was aiming for the interstate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 souls on board,  3 made it out.  

Crash was on landing, wasn't a contamination issue.  Fire says they had plenty.

The pilot called in the emergency and said he lost his engines. He was given clearance to land, but he said he wouldn't make it and was aiming for the interstate.
Looks like a water landing just to his right would have been better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ATC Audio   Start 8 minutes into it.
View Quote

Dang, pilot was cool as a cucumber.   Something tells me he was one of the victims.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Landed and overtook the truck from behind? That’s strange how the tailgate is clean.

Lucky three got out,  wow.

Rip
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously. And who knows who was riding with them. I was on a 604 last week so this is a bit unnerving.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure hope it wasn't DEF fluid contamination.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Both engines?
Sounds like a fueling issue.

View Quote

Would it be burning like that if there wasn't fuel?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

From the walls of the interstate, looks like the aircraft hit the walls and then ground looped.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like it was full of fuel due to the amount of flames. For a dual flameout the likely culprits are fuel starvation, contamination or fod injection like birds. I really can’t think of anything else.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like it was full of fuel due to the amount of flames. For a dual flameout the likely culprits are fuel starvation, contamination or fod injection like birds. I really can’t think of anything else.
View Quote

It's probably a stretch, but there have been cases of pilots shutting down the wrong engine during high stress situations. I know it has happened a few times.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Naples is in the middle of a major avian flyway, and lands to the east and south are swampy. Not much development south of Naples.

Lots of birds wintering in that area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
You know every time a little plane, not a twin jet, lands on a highway they try to land going with the flow of traffic cuz going opposite the flow of traffic you're bound to hit somebody and you might be able to find a clear space in between cars going with the traffic or at least they're doing 70 miles an hour when you land in the same direction
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
OP forgot to put BREAKING: in his thread title. and make it bold font.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those CL-30's get good range of 3300 miles and burn less than 300 gal/hr. No idea how they didn't fuel up for that flight... unless it was something stupid they did.
View Quote

At least in turboprops and piston twins one thing that you can do that's really stupid is you lose one engine for mechanical reasons and then you do exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do. You turn off the good engine thinking it's the bad engine
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I used to fly my single engine across Florida at night I would always look for the water in case I lost an engine, the only engine. Because I can swim better than I can retired fire
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

At least in turboprops and piston twins one thing that you can do that's really stupid is you lose one engine for mechanical reasons and then you do exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do. You turn off the good engine thinking it's the bad engine
View Quote

You can do that in a jet too if you aren't thinking
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure why, but news of plane crashes make me sadder than news of car crashes. I'm not even a pilot.

I guess it's because of the excitement and joy i feel every single time I'm in the air as a passenger. Even in coach. Same reason i don't hunt critters with wings. It'd feel like a crime denying something that flies the ability to enjoy one more minute of it.

I'd wager failing a pilot's physical after decades of piloting would be a devastating blow to a soul.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#23]
The three passengers that escaped weren't injured either,  They were seen walking around apparently uninjured.  The pilot & copilot bought the farm though.

The guy in the crushed truck also survived.

I-75 will be closed in both directions for "at least" 24 hours while NTSB does their investigation.  Traffic, normally very heavy this time of year, will be a mess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd wager failing a pilot's physical after decades of piloting would be a devastating blow to a soul.
View Quote

For me I just tried to stay in shape and hoped my genetics were good enough to get me to retirement which they did.

Left part 91 corporate after 25 years at age 52.

Still got my good health, need glasses for distance.

Still flying though just not full time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The three passengers that escaped weren't injured either,  They were seen walking around apparently uninjured.  The pilot & copilot bought the farm though.

I-75 will be closed in both directions for "at least" 24 hours while NTSB does their investigation.  Traffic, normally very heavy this time of year, will be a mess.
View Quote

Looks like the aircraft hit the wall nose first (nose looked crushed, and a section of wall was down).  Hopefully the crew went quickly before the fire.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks like the aircraft hit the wall nose first (nose looked crushed, and a section of wall was down).  Hopefully the crew went quickly before the fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Shit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's probably a stretch, but there have been cases of pilots shutting down the wrong engine during high stress situations. I know it has happened a few times.
View Quote

Add that one to the list! It’s a possibility, but in a jet if you have an engine failure you are increasing power in the good engine and continuing to the runway. There is no need to shutdown an engine unless it’s on fire. Even then I would wait until we had landed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Left Ohio State University this am on direct to Naples..... wonder who was on it...

I agree that his statement is moronic. That being said, the jet wasn't affiliated with OSU. It just took off from there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dang, pilot was cool as a cucumber.   Something tells me he was one of the victims.
View Quote
Assuming pilot/co-pilot? Very sad.

Maybe made a successful emergency landing, passengers got out, crew still in the cockpit trying to shut everything down and it went
up in flames? I don't know, just speculating how 3 could have survived but not the other 2.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe fuel on the truck burning.  Jet fuel and diesel smell exactly the same.

ETA it probably had fuel on the aircraft, just too open minded to dismiss the possibility entirely
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s that ray of sunshine!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Assuming pilot/co-pilot? Very sad.

Maybe made a successful emergency landing, passengers got out, crew still in the cockpit trying to shut everything down and it went
up in flames? I don't know, just speculating how 3 could have survived but not the other 2.
View Quote

Looking like it may have had a nose first impact into that wall on the edge of the interstate.  Wondering if that prevented egress due to cockpit damage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow. Truck driver killed too Im assuming?

Imagine driving that truck. My first thought would be swerve to the shoulder without even checking your mirrors.
View Quote
Saw a semi take a brand new grill to the grill at an on ramp one time. Dude in a taco was getting on the interstate and it's a pretty short ramp. I moved into the left lane to give him room. Right as I got over I could see his new grill start to slide because the tongs and whatnot were swinging. I punched it and got ass end up about his drivers door and saw the grill hit the tailgate. Over it went and right into the semi behind him. I'm sure he thought "it'll ride like that".
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn. There’s a video of a ragged, flaming corpse falling out of the plane onto the road. Most horrific video I’ve seen in a while.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn. There’s a video of a ragged, flaming corpse falling out of the plane onto the road. Most horrific video I’ve seen in a while.
View Quote

Where? I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm expecting that it was captured by a couple FDOT cameras.

In VA, on the website VDOT claims their cameras are not recorded.  That's a complete lie. The cameras are maintained and operated by Transurban and they are recording.  There was a fatal hit and run wreck captured on video and recorded near me last summer by one such camera. The video was made public.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is DEF the fluid used in diesel vehicles....probably for an EPA mandated reason?  If so, how would it get into Jet-A fuel (assumed fuel for that plane)?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assure you, it is. What was worse, the amount of hoops, time, and galactic bullshit I had to go through to get it back. We are an order of magnitude behind Europe with regard to medicals. It is fucking embarrassing.

RIP flight crew.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Someone cropped and zoomed one of the twitter videos posted up top.

On Reddit, r/crazyfuckingvideos you’ll see it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

On Reddit, r/crazyfuckingvideos you'll see it.
View Quote
That looks much more like a portion of the aircraft falling away as it burns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That looks much more like a portion of the aircraft falling away as it burns.
View Quote

Yea a person shaped and sized piece of burning aircraft debris that is falling from from the cockpit area where two people sit and happens to have the same silhouette of a human body is definitely not a human body.

I only crewed an ARFF truck for three years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yea a person shaped and sized piece of burning aircraft debris that is falling from from the cockpit area where two people sit and happens to have the same silhouette of a human body is definitely not a human body.

I only crewed an ARFF truck for three years.
View Quote

It that's a person they are either 2 feet tall or they are falling from a 747.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

"DEF" mentioned several times ITT. What is "DEF" in aircraft usage? Rather doubt if it is diesel DEF.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like someone failed with the fuel calculation.
View Quote

Looks like plenty of fuel to me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"DEF" mentioned several times ITT. What is "DEF" in aircraft usage? Rather doubt if it is diesel DEF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same DEF. Used for the vehicles like fuel trucks. But FSII - Fuel System Icing Inhibitor - is added to aviation fuel. Both are colorless and there's been mishaps where DEF was added instead of FSII to the fuel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's the same DEF. Used for the vehicles like fuel trucks. But FSII - Fuel System Icing Inhibitor - is added to aviation fuel. Both are colorless and there's been mishaps where DEF was added instead of FSII to the fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prist is a common name for the icing inhibitor.  

There was an incident...5-10 years ago?  Someone mixed the two.  The DEF was supposed to go into the fuel truck.

However, the plane flew 850 miles.  It wasn't fuel contamination.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/certalerts/part_139_certalert_23_04
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's an overhead view from a news helo that shows 2 blue tarps in the ditch well away from the remainder of the aircraft, I think those are the bodies. If so, that video doesn't jive as being a body, unless there's more fatals than currently reported.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It that's a person they are either 2 feet tall or they are falling from a 747.
View Quote

It's not sitting level, it's nose up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than a few times. Engine malfunction on #1, while scrambling thru checklists in stress, select shutdown for #2. Now what was once a slight issue has become a greater issue
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Survivors run from plane wreckage on I-75
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's an overhead view from a news helo that shows 2 blue tarps in the ditch well away from the remainder of the aircraft, I think those are the bodies. If so, that video doesn't jive as being a body, unless there's more fatals than currently reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video shows something that appears very consistent with human form. The overhead images show tarps, one of which is relatively near where the nose of the aircraft was. Those aerial photos were clearly taken after rescue and firefighting were complete. It’s plausible.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top