Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

From my old Comair pilots.....

"It's possible to unlatch those red latches, but you have to hold those latches down while bringing the throttles back..."
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Run out of fuel.
View Quote

Not with that fire and massive smoke column.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A lot longer than they had at that altitude.
View Quote

Agreed. We had issues testing it on a CRJ and he did not like the cross bleed or single engine operation for taxiing. We had a nice trainer that wanted to try "his way" of testing in air restarts and would not accept the longer re-start time. He said the lengthy time put the entire aircraft at risk and there should be an emergency procedure and method to get a restart done in a faster time frame outside of the established procedures. He wanted to teach hot starts as a procedure without any understandings of the damage and not allow cross bleed starts.

He killed himself and 4 people about 2 years after due to his arrogance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long does a re-light take if that were to happen?

I’m guessing engines on the 604 are airstart. So even if they had a bit more altitude they wouldn’t have had the airspeed for a windmill start or a running apu for a bleed start. And to answer Wicks question, it takes almost a minute to start an engine on the jet I fly which uses a starter/generator. They had no time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn!

That’s one of East Shores Jets.

They got smacked by the FAA a few years back for unauthorized operations.
View Quote

My buddy flies Challenger 350s for NetJets. Glad it wasn't him.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m guessing engines on the 604 are airstart. So even if they had a bit more altitude they wouldn’t have had the airspeed for a windmill start or a running apu for a bleed start. And to answer Wicks question, it takes almost a minute to start an engine on the jet I fly which uses a starter/generator. They had no time.
View Quote

APU/leave #2 running/airstart cart.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"It's possible to unlatch those red latches, but you have to hold those latches down while bringing the throttles back..."
View Quote

The scenario is the pilot reaching across to interact with the flaps while the copilot throttles down.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure if there would be a reaction. ANFO (ammonium nitrate fuel oil) explosives are usually made with pelletized AN fertilizer which has a much higher level of AN than DEF. The mixture of AN and fuel oil is stable until an initiator like a blasting cap is used to set it off.

ETA: a bit of research indicates that Urea, the nitrogen component in DEF, is somewhat chemically different than the AN in fertilizer. Wish I had paid more attention to chemistry stuff in HS but maybe better that I didn't.
View Quote

Correct, DEF does not contain Ammonium Nitrate.  It is water and Urea.   Urea is essentially the same stuff in Urine and is chemically very different than Ammonium Nitrate.    About all they have in common is they do have the elements Nitrogen, Hydrogen, and Oxygen.  :)
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The scenario is the pilot reaching across to interact with the flaps while the copilot throttles down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah but the Comair pilots also mention that those 2 red latches are spring loaded, so it would have to be a deliberate effort for fuel cutoff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The pilot called in the emergency and said he lost his engines. He was given clearance to land, but he said he wouldn’t make it and was aiming for the interstate.
View Quote

He should have went for landing on  the water way along side of the interstate.
Poor truck driver.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah but the Comair pilots also mention that those 2 red latches are spring loaded, so it would have to be a deliberate effort for fuel cutoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, depending on a number of things, just having something sitting on the pedestal could lift those cutoff locks up when closing the power levers. Just need something to be underneath like a note book or folder and move the right way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Poor truck driver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pilot called in the emergency and said he lost his engines. He was given clearance to land, but he said he wouldn’t make it and was aiming for the interstate.

Poor truck driver.

Surprised there wasn't an F/A onboard, standups usually do, and they're usually stunners. Like 1-10 they're 500 plus in looks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly, depending on a number of things, just having something sitting on the pedestal could lift those cutoff locks up when closing the power levers. Just need something to be underneath like a note book or folder and move the right way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another pilot said it could be possible if those springs were weak.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Poor truck driver.
View Quote

When I saw that canal in the footage I said to myself that is what I would have gone for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I saw that canal in the footage I said to myself that is what I would have gone for.
View Quote

It's South Florida. Surviving a crash only to get eaten would suck

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/5ai2ou8txu931-2763443888__1__jpg-3125545.JPG

I can see it. Throttles are the levers in the middle and flaps are the lever to the right. The red switches are right under the throttles.
View Quote

We've got plenty or pilots here that have probably flown the CRJ or Challenger which is basically the same.  I'm the idiot that has 14,000 hours in them.  Most all of it in the left seat.  I'm telling you what was posted on Youtube is 100% incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's South Florida. Surviving a crash only to get eaten would suck

https://www.hindustantimes.com/ht-img/img/2023/09/24/550x309/fa_1695556368478_1695556373935.jpeg
View Quote

I would take my chances!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Went there today, all cleaned up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I was out walking the dog around 3:10-3:20. I saw a plane come over—being an aviation geek and in the bizav business, I looked up. At first I thought it was a Hawker. It looked kind of stubby and I thought it had a cruciform tail. As it was directly north, I could see it was a Challenger. Couldn’t see any striping or other paint on it.

We are on the downwind to base for RW23 at Naples so I see a lot of patterns. He didn’t look abnormal at all. The engine/s were running and the gear was down. You could tell he was descending but not at an abnormal rate.

Here was his track and my position is the red dot…

Attachment Attached File

Sucks to think they only had a few seconds to live when I saw them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The pilot was a close friend of some close friends of ours.

Homeschool dad.

RIP.

View Quote

Sorry for his family.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How long does a re-light take if that were to happen?
View Quote

A while.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Poor truck driver.
View Quote

Truck driver survived.

Quoted:

Surprised there wasn't an F/A onboard, standups usually do, and they're usually stunners. Like 1-10 they're 500 plus in looks.
View Quote

There was a flight attendant on board.  The F/A and two passengers evacuated successfully.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Does the 604 have FDR/CVR?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does the 604 have FDR/CVR?
View Quote

It should have both although depending on what type (regs) of trip it was it may nit be a required item.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Went there today, all cleaned up.
View Quote

@Iamhere really? You can’t see anything on the wall or the on the grass?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was out walking the dog around 3:10-3:20. I saw a plane come over—being an aviation geek and in the bizav business, I looked up. At first I thought it was a Hawker. It looked kind of stubby and I thought it had a cruciform tail. As it was directly north, I could see it was a Challenger. Couldn’t see any striping or other paint on it.

We are on the downwind to base for RW23 at Naples so I see a lot of patterns. He didn’t look abnormal at all. The engine/s were running and the gear was down. You could tell he was descending but not at an abnormal rate.

Here was his track and my position is the red dot…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/IMG_3120_jpeg-3125747.JPG

Sucks to think they only had a few seconds to live when I saw them.
View Quote

I live a few blocks from you. Howdy neighbor. @AA717driver
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I live a few blocks from you. Howdy neighbor. @AA717driver
View Quote

Hey!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe the 604 has fuel jettison capabilities.
Possibly after a dual engine out, on approach the checklist has you dumping fuel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:17:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Meh, no big loss for society. Sad people lost their lives but to care based on sportsy personalities is a misplaced life.
View Quote

You’re kinda fucken stupid aren’t ya?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I think there are a few of us that flew .mil and others are civs. It is easy to get complacent and assume the guy in the right seat thinks the way you do. It sounds like standard procedures were neglected, if not available.

No professional pilot is going to fuck up fuel management in the terminal phase unless in an emergency.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Read on a pilot group that fuel contamination could have played a roll. Curious what the final NTSB report will say. RIP pilots. Congrats on saving the three lives and not taking a y on the ground. That could have been much worse.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Read on a pilot group that fuel contamination could have played a roll. Curious what the final NTSB report will say. RIP pilots. Congrats on saving the three lives and not taking a y on the ground. That could have been much worse.
View Quote

Hearing that a lot.  Why would it show up on short final after flying several hours that day already?  Not questioning to say you are wrong, I'm seeking to understand.   Would there be something about the contaminants being not mixed with the fuel itself but rather some how stratified in the tanks to where once it was at a certain level the fuel pick ups finally consumed it and it was just horrible bad luck it was on final?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy fucking shit
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Just watched the dashcam video, that is nuts!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. It’s amazing no other vehicles were hit. The pilots did a great job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wow. It’s amazing no other vehicles were hit. The pilots did a great job.
View Quote

Yeah, wow they almost had it.  Almost looks like maybe they landed on that white truck and that spit them out to the right and into the wall.  The had a decent amount of velocity still towards the East so maybe still would have skidded off the right side but man they were close.  Looks like a bounce to the right right after touch down making me think that.

I think that impact and immediate fire answers a lot of questions about fuel starvation as there as an immediate fireball.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Was he trying to make the median or the roadway? What do those of you who fly think? He sure had a lot of speed left at touchdown.

edit: I finally watched that last video a couple of times. What a shame as it looks like they almost pulled it off. To answer my own question I think the road was what he/they were going for.

RIP to both pilots.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
That wall fucking killed them. If it hadn't been there, that just might have been survivable for the crew.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hearing that a lot.  Why would it show up on short final after flying several hours that day already?  Not questioning to say you are wrong, I'm seeking to understand.   Would there be something about the contaminants being not mixed with the fuel itself but rather some how stratified in the tanks to where once it was at a certain level the fuel pick ups finally consumed it and it was just horrible bad luck it was on final?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If its DEF contamination it's not always something that apparent soon after fueling.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2020/Mar/FY_2020_NPP_41_DEF_Contamination-Notes.pdf

There have been at least 9 civilian
aircraft and several military aircraft that
were fueled with contaminated fuels,
three of those aircraft had engine failures
in flight, two had dual engine flameouts
(one Falcon 50 with 3 engines, the other
was a Cessna Citation 550 with 2
engines). Fortunately all of the aircraft
involved landed safely on airports with
no further damage or any injuries

May 9, 2019 Two Cessna Citation 550’s, both
operated by the same 14 CFR 135 operator,
received 480 and 440 gallons of jet fuel at Punta
Gorda Airport (PGD). An Eclipse Jet was also
fueled that morning with FSII from the same truck.
It has been confirmed that a pail of 2.5 gallons of
unmarked DEF was mixed with a container of FSII
prior to servicing the FSII reservoir on the refueler
truck.
Both Citations flew from PGD to Naples (APF) that
morning. They received another 195 and 168
gallons respectively, picked up their passengers and
departed on separate flight to different destinations.
One aircraft was headed to Chicago Executive
Airport (PWK), the other to Niagara Falls
International Airport (IAG).
The aircraft Enroute to IAG experienced an engine
flameout at 35,000 feet, descended, then at 8,000

feet on approach to Savannah/Hilton Head Airport
(SAV), experienced the second engine flameout,
then landed without either engine, fortunately
without damage or injuries.
The aircraft Enroute to PWK experienced an engine
flameout at 36,000 feet, descended and landed with
one engine operative at Louisville International
Airport (SDF) without damage or injuries.
The FBO at APF placed their refueler and storage
tank out of service until it was determined that the
fuel was not contaminated with DEF.
There were no reports of operational or maintenance
issues with the Eclipse Jet at this time.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Video is a little clearer

New Dashcam video of the Challenger business jet Crash Landing on I-75 in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We've got plenty or pilots here that have probably flown the CRJ or Challenger which is basically the same.  I'm the idiot that has 14,000 hours in them.  Most all of it in the left seat.  I'm telling you what was posted on Youtube is 100% incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/5ai2ou8txu931-2763443888__1__jpg-3125545.JPG

I can see it. Throttles are the levers in the middle and flaps are the lever to the right. The red switches are right under the throttles.

You are the SME here. It sounded like an elegant theory to this layman, with a few previous examples cited, but if it's not possible, it's not possible.

What else though could explain shutdown of both engines, several hours into flight, with still fuel in the tanks?  Pilots didn't declare a fuel emergency, AIUI, just that they've lost both engines.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You are the SME here. It sounded like an elegant theory to this layman, with a few previous examples cited, but if it's not possible, it's not possible.

What else though could explain shutdown of both engines, several hours into flight, with still fuel in the tanks?  Pilots didn't declare a fuel emergency, AIUI, just that they've lost both engines.
View Quote

Didn't read the whole thread... birds?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Contamination does that. They didn't have a fuel emergency since the fire shows there was still plenty left.

The contaminates are usually microbial, particles, water, or other incorrect or incorrect ratio of petroleum additives. Microbial is basically a slime that will build up and contaminate and clog every filter assembly. Pretty common in 3rd world places or for planes that sit for awhile with high water content.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Was he trying to make the median or the roadway? What do those of you who fly think? He sure had a lot of speed left at touchdown.
View Quote

At that point the crew were out of options. See Southern Airways DC-9 crash, they lost 2 engines too and had to land on a 2 lane highway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got several ideas, but I'll just leave it to the investigators.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have gone for the canal that paralleled the highway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Utah.......Skywest? Whole lotta CRJs with CA made it out there.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top