Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Pontiac Fiero was the worst car I’ve ever had.  
Rear engine with the radiator up front, horrible design.
Should have had a secondary cooling system.

And try that car in the snow.

Also, friggin engine was impossible to work on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pontiac Fiero was the worst car I’ve ever had.  
Rear engine with the radiator up front, horrible design.
Should have had a secondary cooling system.

And try that car in the snow.

Also, friggin engine was impossible to work on.
View Quote
Yet another fine General Motors product from the division that let you know "We build excitement!"..... such as whether your car was going to catch on fire.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's some kind of BS for sure.  A 2001 Civic didn't have TPMS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, try a 2001 Honda Civic; my Mom has has this thing for 18 years and just the other day a TPMS sensor broke!

What kind of BS is that !  

Nothing else has gone wrong in 18 years - but I'm so pissed about her having to pay $89 in unscheduled maintenance in 18 years!  POS!
2008 was the first Civic with tpms afaik.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
the Japanese and Koreans are the only people I'll buy my cars from currently... sorry to say it my friend, domestic is ass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, try a 2001 Honda Civic; my Mom has has this thing for 18 years and just the other day a TPMS sensor broke!

Nothing else has gone wrong in 18 years - but I'm so pissed about her having to pay $89 in unscheduled maintenance in 18 years!  POS!
Yeah! Thats why i'm sooo pissed.

She also replaced the 710 cap - cost another $49 .
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

-Who designs oil filters to be horizontally mounted?
View Quote
Someone who would like to minimize the mess.
I could probably clean up the mess from an oil change on my Civic with a single square of TP.

A vertically mounted one runs oil everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it was 22k otd. The only reason i still have it is because its paid for. And i have 2 kids that need a car to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anybody want to change your mind?

How much did you pay for it?
I think it was 22k otd. The only reason i still have it is because its paid for. And i have 2 kids that need a car to use.
Wait what??!!!!  You paid 22K for a 2011 Chevy Cruz? Are you kidding me?

You got raped and you deserve the continuing raping you are receiving. FFS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Cruze rental car for a ~5 hour drive (NYC to DC).  My flight was cancelled and the next one was a few days away, so I decided to just drive home.

It was a new car with a couple thousand miles on it. I obviously can’t speak to reliability. But the car seemed decent enough when I first got in. No nicer or worse than comparable cars. But holy crap it was zero fun to drive. There was just nothing enjoyable about the car. The transmission was so slow to respond with a downshift that it made highway driving frustrating.

That thing was just a soulless appliance on wheels. My beater 06 Focus is at least a little fun to throw around. But that’s Cruze... nope.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah! Thats why i'm sooo pissed.

She also replaced the 710 cap - cost another $49 .
View Quote
With that kind of mileage it might be due to have the buckle on it's timing belt changed as well.  Many people also neglect the transfer case service in those.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
2012 cruze 1.4 turbo auto. 292k miles did the first turbo at 260k. Amazing car got 38mpg avg.  loved it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the Cobalt and Cavalier were worse. But in a post-Cobalt world? Absolutely.
View Quote
I own a 05 Cavalier. Most dependable car I have ever owned. Bought it in oct. 05 with 22,000 miles on it, already 1 year old.

I had to put a battery in it 1 year later, installed a Optama yellow top that I bought from work (aerial lift rebuilding) that was a take out for $40. Lasted 10 years.
Now got a 6 year old red top that came out of my drag car.

Replace front brake pads and rotors once. About due again. Oil changes every 12,000-15,000 miles (use Mobil 1) if new oil.
I have run 5,000 mile used oil (Mobil 1) that comes out of my Vette (2010 Z06 LS7) for 7,500-10,000 miles.

The only thing that ever failed was the shifter cable broke and that happen at home in the driveway.

Paint looks like shit, interior plastic cracking around and across the dash.

But I will run it until it drops.  Now at 154K.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a few at work.

Garbage cars.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I reckon you never had a Vega.
View Quote
And, GM has never built a decent small car since the Vega, (The small Opel builts excepted)
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a new beater. Guess I'll go with a Focus.
View Quote
Yea, buy a Focus and get the Chitty shifting tranny like my brother did.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he meant TPS - Throttle Position Sensor? Did they have those?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the Japanese and Koreans are the only people I'll buy my cars from currently... sorry to say it my friend, domestic is ass.
View Quote
Sadly, the wife and I have come to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#17]
It sounds like almost every issue you've had is engine related. No transmission/drivetrain/interior issues?

Sounds like the Cruze Diesel might be the way to go. An Opel Diesel should be more reliable than the pile of garbage gas engine they sold you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Geo Metro
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a turbo 2001 Saab 9-3 convertible a few years back.

Trust me, it was worse.  It breathed its last with a mere 90,000 miles on the odometer.  When the power steering hose exploded and covered the engine bay with power steering fluid, which then short circuited every piece of electronica under the hood, I threw up my hands in defeat.  Mostly because it took out the transmission control module, which locked the tranny in safe mode.

It would be easier for me to say what didnt fail on that damned piece of shit, then what did.  So let me think about what didn't fail for a second.

The heated seats always worked, the tires never fell off while driving.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Worst vehicle I have ever owned was the only thing I have ever bought new.

91 Chevy S10. Base model 2wd fleet truck. Only option it came with was AC, no radio, no rear bumper, no carpet.
I wanted a base model Toyota 4x4 that cost $1,000 more but my dad was cosigning and was "buy 'murica only" so the Chevy is what I got.

In the first 10,000 miles.
ECU (twice)
Catalytic converter
TBI system
Engine pulleys had to be reshimmed, damn thing would chuck belts
Bed was manufactured improperly and was 1.5" wider then the cab. In looking at the other ones on the lot they were all this way.

In the first 20,000 miles
Door handles (2 interior, one exterior), passenger side mirror fell off, weatherstripping on the door failed, windshield leaked.

Wrecked it with ~25,000 miles on it (not my fault, car ran a stop sign in front of me). Was within $500 of a total, insurance repaired it.
I got it back my and my dad wanted it so he took over the payments and I bought a theft recovery toyota 4x4 for cash.

The S10 made it to like 60,000 miles before the engine ate itself and he junked it. I still have the toyota 4x4.

Never again GM, never again (except old musclecars).

I have owned a series of Toyota trucks/tacomas since. Only time any of them have been to the dealership was for recall work and when rats ate the engine harness (insurance pay).
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

"Hold my beer" -purple Plymouth Neon
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Honda avoided MAFs for a long time in favor of simpler TPS based air calculations... Could easily be it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wifes car is a 11 cruze with a 1.4 turbo. So far from the dealership, 2 new turbos, new turbo oil feed line and a bunch of other parts. All while under warranty.

Now it has 120k and so far its has had

New starter (expected)
New battery (expected)
New intake manifold after the plastic nipples cracked
New evaporator after some codes thrown
Head skimmed after broken return line (this return line has been replaced 4 times. Once by dealer and 3 times by me.they just seem to rot away at the plug
Turbo return line broke, new head gasket again and new head
New water pump
New thermostat
New water inlet housing
New front main seal since it was opened up
All new rubber
New coolant reservoir
New ignition
New plugs
2 sets of new head bolts
2 new main crakshaft pully bolt
New turbo oil feed pipe

Now for the second head job. Get it back together, after a few beers. Forget that the oil plug isnt tight. And have a broken turbo oil feed pipe and all my oil pissed out, then the return hose after the thermostat pops off and coolant everywhere and its starting to get up there in temp. 240* and i shut it off. Refill the coolant and bleed it, new oil.

Starts right up. No over heat. Drive a few miles at 25mph no issues.

Get back and see check engine light on, look up codes. P0016 and P0017.

I am hoping that they are due to no oil but am afraid my chain jumped a tooth. The car runs fine and starts fine.

This car was supposed to go to my oldest but am afraid to let her drive it while she is away at school. I dont want her to get stuck.
View Quote
I just sank $200 into my sons Cruze, because one of the PLASTIC coolant pipes/fittings succumbed to the heat of the coolant and cracked. Mechanic said it was a common problem. This time it was the thermostat housing, which is built into the water inlet.

Not the first time. Here's a thread where another fitting cracked earlier this year...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/GM-Guys-or-Other-Car-Experts---Help--RE--2011-Chevy-Cruze-Mystery-Part-/5-2106588/
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#24]
aveo

cheap European cars

no name Asian cars

but yes the cruze is pretty damn bad
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Knock on wood, my Cruze has been great.  2014 just rolled 100k. 6speed.  Average 43mpg in summer and 38 in winter.

Had the pcv problem that resulted in needing the entire intake assembly replaced along with the valve cover.  Fixed under warranty.

Eats spark plugs like crazy though.  The instant it starts breaking up on the low end when the boost comes up, I change plugs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I just had to fix a major power steering leak in my 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was a low pressure return pipe though, so I just stuck a hose on there. Outside of the windshield attracting rocks like a magnet and a couple rounds of brakes that was my first issue in over 11 years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I reckon you've never had a 2002 F-350, 7.3 Powerstroke.

OP, With the money I've put into my '02 F-350, 7.3 Powerjoke for repairs over the past 17 years
I could have bought many Chevy Cruze's.

Your complaint is lame and you should feel bad.
View Quote
The diesel tax is real. There's no escaping it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know dodge Durangos exist, right?
View Quote
I had an 04 Dodge Dakota, went 198k miles before I traded it in.  Great vehicle, way better than my last Chevy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Light it on fire
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Chevette

/thread
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yugo.
View Quote
this is the worst ever sold in the USA market....
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#32]
A Pinto or Vega come to mind.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Dodge Neon says hold my beer, and by beer I mean head gasket that will shit the bed at 30k.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Chevette

/thread
View Quote
I see one of those nearly every day I'm headed to work, driving under its own power.

It's easily the most exotic car I see on the road in Vegas.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
2010 Mazda 3 GT

Tiresx2
Batteryx2
Oil unknown number of times but has been synthetic and religious
Motor mount, the only unscheduled mx

It is nuts reliable

126k on the odometer and even the brakes are still fine.

$23k out the door.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a 2011 Cruze untill my wife totaled it with 60k on it.  It was not a turbo and we had zero issues to that point.

AAA wrote me a check for more than I paid for it so all is good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just sank $200 into my sons Cruze, because one of the PLASTIC coolant pipes/fittings succumbed to the heat of the coolant and cracked. Mechanic said it was a common problem. This time it was the thermostat housing, which is built into the water inlet.

Not the first time. Here's a thread where another fitting cracked earlier this year...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/GM-Guys-or-Other-Car-Experts---Help--RE--2011-Chevy-Cruze-Mystery-Part-/5-2106588/
View Quote
Same thing happened on my wife's Cruz (I have two 2014 models).  I really ought to replace the plastic crap on mine before I'm stranded in the ghetto to/from work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#38]
2006 Toyaota Prius. 88K miles.

2 X 12 volt battery - expected
1 X hybrid drive battery -  understandible.
Oil changes, filter changes, tires, wipers, bulbs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
FPMFNI

Came into the thread to post “1978 Vega wagon”
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Chevette

/thread
View Quote
had an 81 chevette thru college.   only had to put a starter on it.   was a good car.

upgraded to a 97 Corolla.  currently has 212,000 miles on it.  a few minor things thru the years, but it has been great for me.   2 synthetic oil changes a year.   still runs fantaatic.

I park my dodge pickup, 4runner, and TDI for the winter, to keep the salt off them, but my old beater Corolla just keeps going.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Clearly you're too young to remember the Yugo and the Lada?

If you're going to buy a cheap car, buy a Honda or a Toyota.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#42]
1991 gmc sierra z71.
Engine
Transmisiion
2 rear ends
More ujoints then i can count
Starter
Alternator
4x4 wiring underneath

This truck almost ruined me financially, when i was just out of the Marines, trying to go through college.
My entire GI bill check would go towards keeping it on the road.I went without food many times trying to make payments, and keep it running.Never again GM.
I am on my 5th toyota since then, and couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got rid of my Daughters POS 2015 cruze....
60,000 miles on it
it would randomly overheat and go into limp mode "turn off A/C and idle engine"
I replaced every cooling line and fitting on the exterior trying to get it to stop using antifreeze.
had the antifreeze tested for a blown headgasket...nope it passed the HG test. passed pressure testing too
no coolant in the oil.
funny thing it after changing out the water inlet it would be fine for a couple of days then act up.
same whan I changed the thermostat housing, and the water pump and the temp sensors and the little POS return line.
every time it would be fine for a few days then BAM "turn off A/C and idle engine' I wore out the bleed screw on the top of the radiator!

my daughter was driving it back and fourth to school over an hour each way. and the other funny thing was it never did it on her way to school it would do it randomly on her way home.

the last time I worked on it I did the thermostat housing and I drove the hell out of that car at this point I didn't care if I blew it up I tired my damnest to get it to act up....
I even took it to work my commute is an hour each way and on my way home I drove it for an extra 30 minutes up and down the interstate..it never acted up...

she drives it to school the next day and guess what....

I finally had enough and traded it off. I took a beating on the trade in but that piece of shit car is gone!

FWIW 2 guys at my work have a cruze, both have had issues with turnos failing and overheating...
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just got rid of my Daughters POS 2015 cruze....
60,000 miles on it
it would randomly overheat and go into limp mode "turn off A/C and idle engine"
I replaced every cooling line and fitting on the exterior trying to get it to stop using antifreeze.
had the antifreeze tested for a blown headgasket...nope it passed the HG test. passed pressure testing too
no coolant in the oil.
funny thing it after changing out the water inlet it would be fine for a couple of days then act up.
same whan I changed the thermostat housing, and the water pump and the temp sensors and the little POS return line.
every time it would be fine for a few days then BAM "turn off A/C and idle engine' I wore out the bleed screw on the top of the radiator!

my daughter was driving it back and fourth to school over an hour each way. and the other funny thing was it never did it on her way to school it would do it randomly on her way home.

the last time I worked on it I did the thermostat housing and I drove the hell out of that car at this point I didn't care if I blew it up I tired my damnest to get it to act up....
I even took it to work my commute is an hour each way and on my way home I drove it for an extra 30 minutes up and down the interstate..it never acted up...

she drives it to school the next day and guess what....

I finally had enough and traded it off. I took a beating on the trade in but that piece of shit car is gone!

FWIW 2 guys at my work have a cruze, both have had issues with turnos failing and overheating...
View Quote
Did you ever ride with her to analyze her driving style?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife's burnt a valve at 80K.  There was another in the shop with the same issue.

Dumped that fucking POS for a Toyota a couple of months ago.

She bought it before we were together.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I reckon you never had a Vega.
View Quote
or a Rabbit or a LeCar
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
1991 gmc sierra z71.
Engine
Transmisiion
2 rear ends
More ujoints then i can count
Starter
Alternator
4x4 wiring underneath

This truck almost ruined me financially, when i was just out of the Marines, trying to go through college.
My entire GI bill check would go towards keeping it on the road.I went without food many times trying to make payments, and keep it running.Never again GM.
I am on my 5th toyota since then, and couldnt be happier.
View Quote
I joined the Marines with a ‘90 Chevy Beretta.  It about ruined me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Should have bought a Corolla OP.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#49]
It's funny you post this. I spent a day and a half this holiday weekend replacing the water pump and then the thermostat/housing on my 2012 Chevy Sonic with the 1.4L with 110k. I also had to replace a leaky heater core outlet connector, though that was easy once the GM dealer tracked one down. I thought the front main seal was leaking but it was good. I replaced it anyways since I was there. I replaced the battery about two weeks ago too. It's been one thing after another since it got colder out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I could probably clean up the mess from an oil change on my Civic with a single square of TP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Who designs oil filters to be horizontally mounted?

No, my 2015 Taco with the 4.0 has a built in funnel under it, put a hose on the end, pull filter, all the excess drains into the oil catch pan. Very simple.

I have a 2016 Honda, you are right, it is VERY clean and simple to do an oil change on it. Takes more time to let the oil drain and fill then actually get to it and replace the filter and pull/replace the plug.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top