Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

iirc javelins don't take down flying aircraft?  

Only helicopters within the max effective range, which isn't too unrealistic for an attack helicopter
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the different tail rotors? Couldn't decide which design to copy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/WZ-10_helicopter.png/800px-WZ-10_helicopter.png

Kinda looks like the vehicle blueprints from M.A.S.K.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They seem to like copying our shit.  One can only hope that they start trying to copy the F-35.

Way ahead of you there.
http://i.imgur.com/FWpmr.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/6xxl4m.jpg

That's remarkable. You can't even see the wires.

This is what I was thinking with the Attack Choppers. After a very close look at all of the photos that I could find of them in flight. I think the inflight photos are Shopped.
I'm sure they can lift off a couple of feet. But the whole nape of the earth flight loos BS to me. You can see the Chi-Coms inside nice and clear. But nothing on the other side. No foliage from the trees of ground. Just an opaque view.
Now I could understand some type of sun/radar/laser blocking coating on the windows. But I would hope it would not block the view of the crew members looking out.
Of course I could be wrong and talking out of my ass. Okay that is a very good bet.
But it still looked strange to me.
Ed

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
they stole the designs from Erectronic Arts software company
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That doesn't look like our Comanche at all.

eta:
What's up with the two different tail configs?

Looks like an Augusta A129 to me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
News reel of the Z-10 flying at the Air Show China 2012 in Zhuhai
珠海航展 - Z-10正在进行飞行表演 - Part 1/3
珠海航展 - Z-10正在进行飞行表演 - Part 2/3
珠海航展 - Z-10正在进行飞行表演 - Part 3/3

CCTV News segment on the Z-10 helicopter doing aerial stunts at the air show
珠海航展 - 多家飞行表演队空中献技 歼-10大仰角上升拉开表演序幕

CCTV News segment showing both the WZ-10 and WZ-19 doing military maneuvers and firing missiles
中国陆军 - 沈阳军区 陆航部队在辽南某空域开展Z-10和Z-19高难课目训练

The Z-19 is an updated modified version of the Harbin Z-9W (similar to the development of Bell AH-1 Cobra from UH-1). It is a twin-seat tandem helicopter with a similar mechanical layout to the Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin series as the Z-9 series are licence-built versions of the Dauphin.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Great. Just fucking great. If I didn't have enough shit to be paranoid about......

I really hope we don't ever go to war with them. I will probably get shot by a piece of stolen American tech....

Fuck. I need a beer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If I recall correctly we have some apache dudes here. I'm just saying I really would like to have something from one. Maybe a spent shell casing, a broken tool you used on one or something. I love Ah64s.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Why beat around the bush.  Let's manufacture Comanches and sell them to China...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for shitting on my parade.

I knew I was more than likely wrong. Their flight photos just looked strange to me.

I'm more a fan of the Миль Ми-24. Don't get me wrong. The AH-64 is Great. But the MI-24 is damn sexy.

Ed

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Boo Thundarr?  

<golfclap> Well played Sir, well played!</golfclap>
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it made in America?

Pentagon Contractor Caught Illegally Selling Military Technology to China

A six-year U.S. probe found that Pratt & Whitney, a key military hardware supplier to the U.S., sold China the software and engines needed to make its first-ever modern attack helicopter.

The Canadian arm of the aircraft engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney closed a six-year U.S. government probe last week by admitting that it helped China produce its first modern attack helicopter, a serious violation of U.S. export laws that drew a multimillion dollar fine.

At the same time it was helping China, the company was separately earning huge fees from contracts with the Pentagon, including some in which it was building weapons meant to ensure that America can maintain decisive military superiority over China's rising military might.

The Chinese helicopter that benefited from Pratt's engines and related computer software, now in production, comes outfitted with 30 mm cannons, anti-tank guided missiles, air-to-air missiles and unguided rockets. "This case is a clear example of how the illegal export of sensitive technology reduces the advantages our military currently possesses," Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John Morton said in a statement released on June 28.

The events are once again raising questions about the circumstances under which major defense contractors might be barred from government work. Independent watchdogs have long complained that few such firms have been barred or suspended, even for egregious lawbreaking, such as supplying armaments or related equipment to a hypothetical adversary...

The Atlantic Monthly Group

How US software ended up powering Chinese assault helicopters
Why spy or steal when Western companies will sell you the tech you need?

In 2002, United Technologies Corporation was coming off its most profitable year ever. The various units of UTC, which owns businesses ranging from helicopter manufacturer Sikorsky to Otis (“the world’s leading manufacturer, installer, and maintainer of elevators”), had a net income of $1.9 billion off $27.8 billion in sales in 2001. Pratt & Whitney, the aircraft engine unit of UTC, was poised to bring in billions more from defense contracts, supplying the engines for Lockheed-Martin’s F-22 Raptor, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program, and the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III cargo plane.

But there were still opportunities to make even more money. One of the most promising came from Pratt & Whitney’s Canadian subsidiary, which had a plan to open up an entirely new market—China. Large risks were involved, however: the program was shrouded in secrecy, for one. It also involved working with partners who had a reputation for ripping off technology.

And it just happened to be illegal.

Ars Technica

And China's response

China’s attack helicopter not pirated: spokesman

A defense ministry spokesman Thursday rejected reports that China's Z-10 military attack helicopter pirated US technology.

Defense Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun made the remarks at a monthly press conference when asked to comment on United Technologies Corp (UTC) of the United States admitting last month to selling China software that helped Beijing develop its first modern military attack helicopter, and agreeing to pay more than $75 million to the US government for the export violation.

"China's attack helicopters and their engines are all self-developed, and have proprietary intellectual property rights," he said, adding that the so-called piracy "is far from the truth."

Yang said the development of China's military equipment has always followed the principle of independent innovation, and relied on its own capability in research and production.

Huang Jun, a professor at the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, told the Global Times that the rationale of building engines is universal, and it is not an exclusive technology owned by the US.

The Z-10 helicopter, whose design was initialized in the late 1990s, was China's first independently developed modern attack helicopter. Designed for both military and civil use, the Z-10 made its maiden flight in late 2004.

Xinhua contributed to this story

The Global Times

You know, when you read things like that, taking the CEO, a few Sr. VPs and a couple of Program Managers out back and shooting them seems like a really, really good way to send a message as to how the U.S. views such shenanigans.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Spy pic released of WZ-10 flight controls.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the different tail rotors? Couldn't decide which design to copy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/WZ-10_helicopter.png/800px-WZ-10_helicopter.png

Kinda looks like the vehicle blueprints from M.A.S.K.  

I give you 1000 internets for the M.A.S.K reference!

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I was somewhat sort of responsible for this ...

BELL HELICOPTER BRINGING TWO CUSTOMER SERVICE FACILITIIES AND A TRAINING FACILITY TO CHINA
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Where will China be in 5,10,15 years and 100's of billions of dollars later.  

I'm guessing O and his pack of stooges are going to slaughter the MIL. budget here shortly.   Where will we be?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]
paid for by foxconn
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top