Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/14/2018 10:56:58 PM EDT
They aren't satisfied with the diverging timelines and minor demons that CERN is introducing, I guess.

Cthulhu 2032!  MEGA!

For about a decade, the biggest machine on the planet has been the Large Hadron Collider, situated on the border between Switzerland and France. The main body of the collider is a giant ring over 5 miles in diameter and the entire facility employs thousands of people. But according to a new announcement from China’s Institute of High Energy Physics, it might not be the world’s largest machine for long.

The Chinese institute announced plans to build its own particle accelerator over the next decade, and it’s designed to surpass the LHC in every way. According to the report authored by the institute, the upcoming collider will be over five times more powerful and over 20 miles in diameter.

The proposed collider is called the Circular Electron Positron Collider, and was first proposed back in 2012. At the time, the specs for the collider were vague. Proposals ranged significantly in terms of size and power, so it wasn’t clear exactly how big or how much science would be done with it. That all changes with this latest announcement, which is accompanied by a 500-page detailed proposal for every last inch of the collider.

Here’s how the plan is going to unfold: First, the CEPC will be built with its 20-mile diameter ring. If construction goes according to plan—which it very well may not, considering the scale of the endeavor—the collider should be finished by 2030. The CEPC will then go into full operation, where it will begin producing exotic particles like the Higgs boson. According to the plan, the CEPC should be able to make a million Higgs particles over a decade, along with millions of other rare particles like W and Z bosons.

Currently, only handfuls of these particles are produced in the Large Hadron Collider, and their rarity makes them difficult study subjects. If scientists could drown themselves in these particles—metaphorically speaking, of course—they could learn so much more about them. These particles might also be key to unlocking new physics, such as discovering the identity of dark matter.
View Quote
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp25101820/china-lhc-particle-collider-cepc/
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This will cause Mandela to be alive again.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The new physics it unlocks will be "what happens when the Three Gorges Dam fails?".
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess it beats building cities that no one actually lives in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have faith in the ability of the Chinese to dig a twenty mile tunnel. The rest not so much.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
why do they need a particle collider? ever seen them drive?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why do they need a particle collider? ever seen them drive?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, I have full faith in Chinese engineering.  They have such an outstanding record so far, especially when it comes to large scale projects.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So still not as big as the SCSC would have been.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Dolly will have Invisalign. Or maybe she already does. I just blew my own mind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This is how the earth is going to be ripped in half.

Built by the Chinese.....What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have faith in the ability of the Chinese to dig a twenty mile tunnel. The rest not so much.
View Quote
Would not underestimate the Chinese.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Dissident Disposal Unit
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True. They already have quantum stealth and quantum radar. How can America even compete?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I certainly wouldn't underestimate their propaganda.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it going to look all fucked up like their aircraft carriers?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
We used to be a pale blue dot. Then came Sum Ting Wong!

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
These  fuckers are going to oopen a porthole to anohter dimension that will bring a reign of fuck and hell upon us.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad installed some cranes at the Hedron Collider. Said it was pretty neat to wander around there.  If the Chinese really build theirs he will probably be there as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad installed some cranes at the Hedron Collider. Said it was pretty neat to wander around there.  If the Chinese really build theirs he will probably be there as well.
View Quote
Is he the particle collider crane guru?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I was at CERN when they first proposed this. They've been doing their best to steal people away from CERN, but only having luck with Chinese nationals as far as I can tell. The 2 biggest issues they are going to have is getting the people who are capable of designing and building a machine like this to leave CERN, and the fact that although they have money and desire right now, their demographics and thus their economics are not moving in the right direction for this kind of multi decade project.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No just installs cranes for companies that need cranes installed all over the world from dams, nuke plants, harbors, lock and dams, etc.  He is on some nuke plant in GA now, then probably back to Fukashima probably.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

On a serious note, those fucks got no reason to fart around with shit like that. They'll end up fucking it up for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was at CERN when they first proposed this. They've been doing their best to steal people away from CERN, but only having luck with Chinese nationals as far as I can tell. The 2 biggest issues they are going to have is getting the people who are capable of designing and building a machine like this to leave CERN, and the fact that although they have money and desire right now, their demographics and thus their economics are not moving in the right direction for this kind of multi decade project.
View Quote
Can they be trusted with that many magnets?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#26]
It either will not work or will break shortly after first use.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#27]
HO LEE FUK

SUM TING WONG

BANG DING OW
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a general rule I believe in not underestimating an enemy. Still, the only reason some consider them viable competition is because they overstate their capabilities while we understate our own. Like Russia, they’re all hat and no cattle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

True. They already have quantum stealth and quantum radar. How can America even compete?
View Quote
Joke all you want.

They were at the forefront of technology for eons.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope they like Pacific Rim because this is how you get Pacific Rim.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]
And as usual the media gets the details wrong, the LHC makes hundreds of thousands of Higgs per run cycle, the problem is distinguishing them from the QCD background. That's why an e-p collider is better for electroweak physics, much much lower QCD background so you can make precision EW measurements. For them it will also be easier to build before converting to p-p because it's so big they can probably have non-superconducting, or lightly superconducting magnets to start.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
We know how this ends...

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope they have a Chinese version of Gordon Freeman.

And crowbars......
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And as usual the media gets the details wrong, the LHC makes hundreds of thousands of Higgs per run cycle, the problem is distinguishing them from the QCD background. That's why an e-p collider is better for electroweak physics, much much lower QCD background so you can make precision EW measurements. For them it will also be easier to build before converting to p-p because it's so big they can probably have non-superconducting, or lightly superconducting magnets to start.
View Quote
I'm going with this.  Didn't understand about half of what was written, but with a username of MrHiggs, gotta go with it!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ironically magnet tech is the hardest part for high energy colliders. As you go up in energy you very quickly hit the limit of superconducting magnetic materials ability to provide field strengths high enough. The LHC turning magnets are nearly 8.5T and that was past the limit at the time of conception. I remember hearing from some of the magnet guys, if we wanted HELHC we would need to be investing significant time and money in new materials to get towards 16T, or you just make a bigger tunnel.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do the Chinese submit their work for western peer review? I honestly don't  know.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do the Chinese submit their work for western peer review? I honestly don't  know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes they publish in the typical high energy journals like PRL, PLB, PRC, etc
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#38]
They've done some amazing projects.  You can get a lot done with slave labor.

Not that they work, but they are amazing...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn't the US have a particle collider that is half built, IIRC in texas.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doesn't the US have a particle collider that is half built, IIRC in texas.
View Quote
The starter hole is half dug

eta Pic here

On a related subject it took me changing my line of work to become friends with Roy Schwitters
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm going with this.  Didn't understand about half of what was written, but with a username of MrHiggs, gotta go with it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He could be the Boson.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
These  fuckers are going to oopen a porthole to anohter dimension that will bring a reign of fuck and hell upon us.
View Quote
it wont be any worse than the shit the democrats are doing right now. I say bring it..
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#43]
So what have we gained by having the LHC?

Did we find new technology or inventions from this giant machine?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#45]
If the particles are so small, why does the tunnel need to be so big?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The real question is why didn't they just put the whole thing on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a Chinese dick joke in there but I'm not drunk enough.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Can someone explain the purpose of this research?

I'm not sure why we need so much research on bosun-higgs particles or why they are important
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the purpose of this research?

I'm not sure why we need so much research on bosun-higgs particles or why they are important
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#50]
In the original timeline this collider created a singularity that ended up consuming the earth.

It will be interesting to see how it works out this time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top