Site Notices
Page / 86
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Presumably they were tracking it the whole way and it wasn't just first detected by some one who went out side looked up and said, 'hey, whats that?"  If that's the case, we have a lot of problems on our hands we need to start addressing.
View Quote
Exactly. It needed to cross into our border to me made more of an issue. Very safe bet they knew it was coming.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Or.......we released it to make it look like China did to get people on board for a conflict. FJB needs support.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see what the big deal is.  We have satellites over China, Russia has satellites over us, why is this balloon so important? Just because it's not in an orbit?
View Quote
Would it be important if it dispensed 10 glide bomb nukes over Montana to cripple our ability to retaliate as we would have no time to react? In strategic value it seems far worse than the threat posed by the Cuban missile crisis which posed the greatest threat to our coast, much like the threat a ballistic missile submarine poses. This threat is different, it could strike the heart of the country with no missile launch warnings. This is no different than a Chinese stealth bomber flying over the United States.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would it be important if it dispensed 10 glide bomb nukes over Montana to cripple our ability to retaliate as we would have no time to react? In strategic value it seems far worse than the threat posed by the Cuban missile crisis.
View Quote

Legit question, how much does something like that weigh?  And what can a balloon carry?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Legit question, how much does something like that weigh?  And what can a balloon carry?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would it be important if it dispensed 10 glide bomb nukes over Montana to cripple our ability to retaliate as we would have no time to react? In strategic value it seems far worse than the threat posed by the Cuban missile crisis.

This.

I am more worried about what it could drop / spread / disperse than spying - they have more than enough satelites and human sources for that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or.......we released it to make it look like China did to get people on board for a conflict. FJB needs support.
View Quote

I wonder what China is going to say about it, if anything at all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
So where is it now?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Not Roswell?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know size of this Chinese balloon but something like the Stratocraft balloon could lift a single w48 nuke.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder how the U.S. government would react if a group of civilian engineers got together and launched a weather balloon to do Balloon Battle® with it.
View Quote

Like battle bots.... but in the troposphere.

That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

I am more worried about what it could drop / spread / disperse than spying - they have more than enough satelites and human sources for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm not saying your wrong, not all comms/data/whatever can be picked up from LEO. Plus, if you're looking for a way to break our encrypted comms, the more data you have the better. A loitering balloon can relay that much easier that a LEO sat that is only on station for a few minutes a day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your .gov is literally fucking retarded. And you lost your country.

Shameful.
View Quote
it’s true, but laughable coming from someone who elected Trudeau

Didn’t it fly over Canada to get here?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
What great fucking logic--if we shoot it down debris falls down. That's like the army logic of: "If I issue you that, ill have nothing to inventory."
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably has a detection unit looking for all the low energy telemetry units embedded in chinese plastic pistol braces.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I was talking about this with my kids last night, and my 14 year old said. "Dad, what if the Chinese are spreading COVID or something else all over the U.S.?"
He has more common sense than the current administration.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#18]
It's transmitting the newest version of Tik Tok.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Just go up there with a huge fan and blow it across the border into Canada.

They deserve it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#20]
China showing the world they can piss on our lawn
and Biden Admin can't decide who's Chicom balls
to gargle first.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Is there a SECOND balloon being tracked by the Canadians , on the same track ???
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
it’s true, but laughable coming from someone who elected Trudeau

Didn’t it fly over Canada to get here?
View Quote

My .gov is also retarded.

And we elected Trudeau; I did not. Did you, singular, elect Biden?

I look to the US as a bastion of hope for the free world, but that bastion is shrinking rapidly.

Everywhere are these little hints that we have slipped farther into the darkness.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is there a SECOND balloon being tracked by the Canadians , on the same track ???
View Quote

Possibly.

I love the way China is "looking into whether it is theirs".

Like they really do not know who to call or it might take a while as they have many and its not easy to keep track of them

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/china-spy-balloon-us-montana-canada-rcna68953
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

African or European?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Seems odd in a age of satellites
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Could a UAV with a tail hook snag it and fly it down?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Much like you and I, there’s a reason you go to certain places for more information or you don’t have the access to information you think you have.

Or you just don’t have it at all.

And if a hot air balloon can carry a couple hundred pounds of engine, basket, and people… there’s your baseline for something like this
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Possibly.

Like they really do not know who to call or it might take a while as they have many and its not easy to keep track of them

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/china-spy-balloon-us-montana-canada-rcna68953
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly.

* s i g h *
China Is Balloon Knot
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#29]
The border is wide open.  Why do we care about a balloon?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They needed an antenna a little lower in the sky to activate all the secret microphones and tracking devices built into Baofang radios bought by arfcommers!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could a UAV with a tail hook snag it and fly it down?
View Quote

At 70,000ft? No, there's just no flight margin up there.  All the crazy stuff we've done with C-130s over the years?  That doesn't translate to higher altitudes like this, even when considering higher flying aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

its certainly not "spying" because you are right. much easier to do with a satellite.

however if there is a payload on board it makes more sense, maybe WuFlu-2. Maybe a test to see if they could get a balloon over the US.

That's the reason we havent popped it.
The news says its because there is a risk of damage to whoever it lands on below, but its friggin Billings Montana. The entire town is 15 miles long and there is literally nothing but country all around it.

We don't know if it has a payload.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the same.  A Reuters article outlines some reasons that seem to make sense.

* The advantages of balloons over satellites include the ability to scan wide swathes of territory from closer in, and to be able to spend more time over a target area, according to a 2009 report to the U.S. Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

* Unlike satellites, which require space launchers that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, balloons can be launched cheaply.

* The balloons are not directly steered, but can be roughly guided to a target area by changing altitudes to catch different wind currents, according to a 2005 study for the Air Force's Airpower Research Institute.

https://www.reuters.com/world/high-altitude-spy-balloons-old-concept-new-applications-2023-02-03/

I have to wonder if that thing just got swept up in the jet stream winds and somebody lost control of it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

its certainly not "spying" because you are right. much easier to do with a satellite.

however if there is a payload on board it makes more sense, maybe WuFlu-2. Maybe a test to see if they could get a balloon over the US.

That's the reason we havent popped it.
The news says its because there is a risk of damage to whoever it lands on below, but its friggin Billings Montana. The entire town is 15 miles long and there is literally nothing but country all around it.

We don't know if it has a payload.
View Quote

LOL I just posted the same thing at the same time in the Let's Shoot It Down thread.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interstellar dude !
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dollars to doughnuts we haven't done anything because we can't. Team harbor freight managed to hit some gap of too high for air defence, to low for satellite defence, and too slow for missile defence.

Also this may explain the frenetic eam action lately.
View Quote

Team Harbor Freight….
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#37]
That thing must be transmitting some sort of signal, I would imagine there are several assets honing in on it trying to snoop out just what it is transmitting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Could a governor order it shot down by an Air National Guard unit?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything old is new again .
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#41]
China is just confirming the accuracy of secrets it obtained from its paid off .gov spies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#42]
They're just checking out all the farmland they bought from us
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
At 60,000+, it is a difficult shootdown.
View Quote

Laser target. Burn a small hole in it, or several and let it settle to the ground slowly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's reckless to shoot it down.  This isn't a war zone.  This is insufficient reason to turn it into one.
View Quote

It’s in the positive control zone over CONUS without a transponder. It would be a good shoot under international law.
ETA / Correct.

I was wrong, It has been a long time since I cared about airspace higher than I can fly. I recall, and it has been a long long time, some high altitude flight levels under the military control. But I'm probably having a senior moment and am 100% wrong...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My .gov is also retarded.

And we elected Trudeau; I did not. Did you, singular, elect Biden?

I look to the US as a bastion of hope for the free world, but that bastion is shrinking rapidly.

Everywhere are these little hints that we have slipped farther into the darkness.
View Quote

I didnt lose my country, "we" did. Did I singularly lose my country? Dont be daft.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Go "Buns!"
View Quote

I understood that reference JPG
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"If it ain't broke..."
Makes one wonder how many we haven't noticed before.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I thought it was a bit breezy up there? How does a balloon “loiter?”
Page / 86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top