BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 86
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What great fucking logic--if we shoot it down debris falls down. That's like the army logic of: "If I issue you that, ill have nothing to inventory."
View Quote

The causality risk isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Could a governor order it shot down by an Air National Guard unit?
View Quote
If the governor can clear the airspace, yes, I suppose he could give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure we could both jam and eavesdrop on this thing.

Weapons payload?  Calm your man-tits panic.  Covid payload?    Come on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought it was a bit breezy up there? How does a balloon “loiter?”
View Quote
It certainly doesn't look like something that is built for directional control.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cordyceps dispersal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Will be interesting when the details come out on how long this has actually been going on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cordyceps dispersal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cordyceps dispersal.

And you know what that leads to!

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
How the hell did it get all that way past our border without anyone taking notice, and now that its in the center of our country it gets attention?

Wonder if there are cowboys left in Montana with nuts the size of basketballs who also happen to own a Barrett M82????
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have to wonder if that thing just got swept up in the jet stream winds and somebody lost control of it.
View Quote

Right over our missile fields
Attachment Attached File

Let it hover over DC and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
China has a legit spy sat network. What intelligence would the balloon obtain that the satellites wouldn't?  
View Quote

From a quick search the lowest spy satellites are around 200Km, 656,000 ft and the balloon is floating around 70,000 ft.  That puts any sensors 8x closer and would allow them to pick up much weaker signals.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot it down. They are making us look like a cuck husband sitting in the corner watching his wife get gang banged. This is a national embarrassment, one of many lately.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]
This balloon is real time mapping the northern United States. For what? Nuke silos? Military bases? Invasion from the north?

WHY THE FUCK HASN'T IT BEEN DESTROYED?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How the hell did it get all that way past our border without anyone taking notice, and now that its in the center of our country it gets attention?

Wonder if there are cowboys left in Montana with nuts the size of basketballs who also happen to own a Barrett M82????
View Quote

I love arfcom. Lets shoot down a balloon at 80 thousand feet with a rifle that has an effective range of 6000 feet.

Forget intercepting signals just get cletus out there. The 50 cal can rip flesh from bone just with its shockwaves
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still wouldn't reach the altitude that thing is at.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wonder what China is going to say about it, if anything at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or.......we released it to make it look like China did to get people on board for a conflict. FJB needs support.

I wonder what China is going to say about it, if anything at all.
https://traffic.americanmilitarynews.com/2023/02/china-confirms-balloon-over-us-is-chinese/?utm_source=fbchat&utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook?

They admitted it's theirs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I love arfcom. Lets shoot down a balloon at 80 thousand feet with a rifle that has an effective range of 6000 feet.

Forget intercepting signals just get cletus out there. The 50 cal can rip flesh from bone just with its shockwaves
View Quote

Hey, its the thought that counts ;-)

I'll bet Beth from Yellowstone would come up with a quick & effecient solution......
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#18]
If this thing drifts my way, I'll hook up a broadband directional antenna and an SDR. Might be able to see what it's transmitting. Are there any bored hams in the balloons current AO? Looks like you may be able to see it from the ground?

If it's riding the jet stream, it looks like it'll head SE. Lower level winds will push it NE.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Milley the traitor advising tater to not destroy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
China: Balloon over US skies is for research, wind pushed it

China said Friday that a balloon spotted over American airspace was used for weather research and was blown off course, despite U.S. suspicion it was spying. The discovery further strained already tense relations between Beijing and Washington.

The Pentagon decided not to shoot down the balloon, which was potentially flying over sensitive sites, because of concerns of hurting people on the ground.

The U.S. had no immediate response to the Chinese explanation, which came as U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken was expected to make his first trip to Beijing this weekend. The visit has not been formally announced, and it was unclear if the balloon’s discovery would affect his travel plans.

More
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This balloon is real time mapping the northern United States. For what? Nuke silos? Military bases? Invasion from the north?

WHY THE FUCK HASN'T IT BEEN DESTROYED?
View Quote

The mission of riling the peasants will be over if they shoot the balloon down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]
There should be some method of taking down the balloon with the electronics intact. Wouldn't it make sense to reverse engineer as much as possible to see what data it's collecting?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shoot it down. They are making us look like a cuck husband sitting in the corner watching his wife get gang banged. This is a national embarrassment, one of many lately.
View Quote

Deal with it quietly and release a claim that it failed due to poor design.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There should be some method of taking down the balloon with the electronics intact. Wouldn't it make sense to reverse engineer as much as possible to see what data it's collecting?
View Quote

It may have a self destruct to prevent examination.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Busting That Chinese Spy Balloon Is Harder Than You Think (Updated)

The Pentagon has been tracking a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon which flew over sensitive areas in Montana in recent days, apparently the latest of several such incursions. President Biden reportedly proposed that the intruder be shot down, but the Pentagon opposed this action, citing the risk of civilian casualties.

In fact, bringing down this type of balloon may be extremely difficult, as it is likely to be highly resistant to the available weapons. It may look fragile, but the sheer size and construction of a stratospheric balloon makes it all but invulnerable.

Such balloons typically fly at 80,000 feet or more – NASA’s version cruises at 120,000 feet.. The U.S. Air Force’s F-15 Eagle and F-22 Raptor both have a stated operating altitude of around 65,000 feet. While they might be able to get close enough to fire a missile, the balloon may be too high for them to shoot.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2023/02/03/busting-that-chinese-balloon-is-harder-than-you-think/amp/
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Amazing lack of response to a foreign power spying in the US.
View Quote

It almost seems deliberate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Can’t the Montana governor order the state’s Air National Guard to shoot it down?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Is there a predicted path this thing gunna be on?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So pop it, WTF?
We're just going to watch a balloon that's watching us?
View Quote

"suspected"
"soucres"

all bullshit mealy mouth bullshit....days after that dipshit admiral talks about "war with china in 2 years..." and everyone STILL FALLS FOR IT

that being said...who gives a shit...if millions of illegals crossing the southern border ever few months isn't a problem...i don't give a fuck about this
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Pentagon has been tracking a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon which flew over sensitive areas in Montana in recent days, apparently the latest of several such incursions. President Biden reportedly proposed that the intruder be shot down, but the Pentagon opposed this action, citing the risk of civilian casualties.

In fact, bringing down this type of balloon may be extremely difficult, as it is likely to be highly resistant to the available weapons. It may look fragile, but the sheer size and construction of a stratospheric balloon makes it all but invulnerable.

Such balloons typically fly at 80,000 feet or more – NASA’s version cruises at 120,000 feet.. The U.S. Air Force’s F-15 Eagle and F-22 Raptor both have a stated operating altitude of around 65,000 feet. While they might be able to get close enough to fire a missile, the balloon may be too high for them to shoot.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2023/02/03/busting-that-chinese-balloon-is-harder-than-you-think/amp/
View Quote

Is Major Amelia "Buns" Nakamura still around?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Blinken has delayed his China trip due to the balloon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there a predicted path this thing gunna be on?
View Quote

Billings, Bismark, Winnipeg?  But, that assumes ground launch from Great Falls and a constant ascent to burst altitude, but none of that fits this particular thing with a steady buoyancy. Odds are, that if another balloon were launched under it, it would end up on a very different path, because that's just how lower/upper level winds often work.

ETA: just looking at the uppermost winds I can find, I'm going to guess the next panic will be Whiteman AFB.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://apnews.com/article/politics-antony-blinken-china-314302278a5f05bdc2df146ed5b35ec6
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mount an M2 50cal on a NASA U2 and put a few holes in it and watch it deflate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’m wetting my bed thinking about how we might be provoking a madman with his finger on the nuke switch. Most corrupt country on earth. 10% for the big guy. I don’t want to see my children die for some commie blimp, send yours. Secure our southern border against Mexican fentynal before we worry about a globohomo blimp. Better red than dead. I’d rather live on my knees than die on my feet.
View Quote

This kind of post is what keeps me coming back to GD.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#41]
The outrage from a nation that spies more than all others combined.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That shit was legendary.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

He should fly over in the balloon
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'll bet Beth from Yellowstone would come up with a quick & effecient solution......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're serious aren't you?

Your savior is a fictional character from a fictional tv show.  You believe in make-believe?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#45]
DON'T LOOK UP
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can’t the Montana governor order the state’s Air National Guard to shoot it down?
View Quote

With what?

All they fly is a C-130H that has a ceiling of around 33k ft.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
See what you can get for buying one of Hunter’s paintings?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right over my house sometime today, looks like.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You're serious aren't you?

Your savior is a fictional character from a fictional tv show.  You believe in make-believe?

View Quote

LOL,just havin some fun & a few laughs...........
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If this thing drifts my way, I'll hook up a broadband directional antenna and an SDR. Might be able to see what it's transmitting. Are there any bored hams in the balloons current AO? Looks like you may be able to see it from the ground?

If it's riding the jet stream, it looks like it'll head SE. Lower level winds will push it NE.
View Quote

If you are in ND, and this thing is at 80k feet, you should have radio line-of-sight already.  No need to wait.  The trouble is getting an exact location on it so you can point at it with said directional antenna hooked up to a specan to see what it's putting out.  Then tune a radio from there.

If I were China, I would have a patch antenna on TOP of the sensor package and talking to a satellite.  That way there would be no downward facing RF emissions from it.  So I would be surprised if a terrestrial station in the balloon's target area picks anything up.
Page / 86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top