Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 86
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
So I am just getting into this due to a bunch of other shit going on in my life. Is it still around Montana or has it drifted somewhere else?

There's a RIVET JOINT in orbit around Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska border right now and one in the Northwest Montana currently.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
“And we have a late entry for the Macy Day Parade!”
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance it's manned?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know a couple guys at whiteman. I bet they could come up with something creative to put on the runway before it floated over.
View Quote

Not sure that would impress an ELINT platform much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wait, there are really people who think this is from China?

If that’s truth then we are fucked. A group of five year olds with those balsa wood planes where the propeller winds up via a rubber band could gain air superiority over the US.

Do you guys really think Jina snuck that in?

“We” know exactly what it is, where it came from, where it’s going, who launched it, and what that person wiped their ass with this morning.

We are getting played. Again.
View Quote

EXCUSE ME, SIR

Are you suggesting that our problems aren't the cause of external boogeymen like China? Are you suggesting that the Balloon Gap isn't REAL?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They must be monitoring the Arf "shoot it down" thread.  

But really, I don't see any point in not disclosing the location.  Chinese know where it is, .gov knows where it is, hiding it from the public just breeds speculation and suspicion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Suspected Chinese spy balloon spotted over United States
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also MTG just posted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems odd in a age of satellites
View Quote
It's a literal trial balloon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait until they send in the clowns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If that’s truth then we are fucked. A group of five year olds with those balsa wood planes where the propeller winds up via a rubber band could gain air superiority over the US.

“We” know exactly what it is, where it came from, where it’s going, who launched it, and what that person wiped their ass with this morning.

View Quote

I think you give us too much credit.  Yes, I think we are asleep at the wheel.  It should have been handled as soon as it was in our airspace and not allowed to be over land.  Said it before - reminds me of Russian military incompetence. Looks like we have something in common.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I am just getting into this due to a bunch of other shit going on in my life. Is it still around Montana or has it drifted somewhere else?

There's a RIVET JOINT in orbit around Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska border right now and one in the Northwest Montana currently.
View Quote
It passed over north of the St Joseph Missouri area about an hour and a half ago.  

I have some shitty pictures.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Retrofit a sidewinder hard point to a U2?

You can’t tell me this wasn’t a known scenario before yesterday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could a UAV with a tail hook snag it and fly it down?

At 70,000ft? No, there's just no flight margin up there.  All the crazy stuff we've done with C-130s over the years?  That doesn't translate to higher altitudes like this, even when considering higher flying aircraft.

Retrofit a sidewinder hard point to a U2?

You can’t tell me this wasn’t a known scenario before yesterday.
The last thing you'd do is try to outfit an aircraft with scab on stores and management.

A pickup truck based platform can do this.  It's a low-kinetics intercept, and the rocket warhead would be nothing more than a light expanding chain and recovery/drag chute system to mitigate return to ground kinetics of the missile, and possibly lessen the kinetics of the balloon mission systems.  Parachute would also serve for range control for misses.  

Just use air mobility to move the things around, if needed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that’s a relief since our #1 nuclear waste official had to leave for stealing other people’s suitcases.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a second balloon over Canada that is heading our way now.

https://twitter.com/UpwardNewsHQ/status/1621471868396904449
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They must be monitoring the Arf "shoot it down" thread.  

But really, I don't see any point in not disclosing the location.  Chinese know where it is, .gov knows where it is, hiding it from the public just breeds speculation and suspicion.
View Quote

Civilians on a plane are the ones that first discovered it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It passed over north of the St Joseph Missouri area about an hour and a half ago.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh snap there's a C-130J over there. Maybe they found some JATO rockets to get it up to altitude to snag it with one of those old school recovery systems.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You know they may just have virus for us to try.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh snap there's a C-130J over there. Maybe they found some JATO rockets to get it up to altitude to snag it with one of those old school recovery systems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tanker just ran a couple orbits over there too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If that's truth then we are fucked. A group of five year olds with those balsa wood planes where the propeller winds up via a rubber band could gain air superiority over the US.

"We" know exactly what it is, where it came from, where it's going, who launched it, and what that person wiped their ass with this morning.

View Quote
Of course we are, the question is in how many and which ways, by whom, for what purposes, what will all of this enable as consequence, etc, etc,
The US gov is already the most clearly implicated by it being in our air space.
Either they are doing it, support it or are so incredibly incompetent, negligent..

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]
How do we know it's of Chinese origin?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
It contains covid 20
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
These bastards are flying that thing all over our sovereign skies...and our pussy leaders won't do shit...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Since we're acknowledging the existence of such a thing isn't confirmed, that is exactly the type of action such a balloon is attempting to stimulate and gather data on.
View Quote

Ground based industrial laser. Nothing new about using a repurposed industrial laser.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I cant believe we don't have close up footage from a redneck drone pilot yet
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It should have been shot down before it ever reached our shores claiming it was a hazard to navigation. Then see who claims it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How do we know it's of Chinese origin?
View Quote

87% of our problems stem from the USA sucking chinesium coc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Post em up
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Fun fact -

I had a pretty intensive class years ago for first responders to terrorist events. It was taught by some FBI terrorism dudes and the fire chief that was the incident commander at the OKC bombing. One of the scenarios discussed was the utilization of balloons launched off our coasts to drop biologicals into mainland USA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#33]
The fact the Pentagon admitted it is maneuverable is concerning. Also make the SR71 great again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Its not that hard to hit the thing honestly.

Get your own weather balloon and sling from it:

A UHF/VHF repeater
A powered or unpowered rocket style RC controllable craft (preferably with wide fins to cover a large area / poke a big hole) with a FPV camera rig
A camera on the lifting package
A release for the interceptor RC craft.

Make half a dozen of these (should be all off the shelf parts for the most part) and seed the airspace around said spy balloon. Plan your lift to reach 10k to 20k above the target. Drop the interceptor closest to the target and guide it through the envelope.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Pentagon is designing an $87B system to shoot it down. Ready by 2041.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm? I wonder if we have ever flown anything over another country?… I wonder if they were pissed off when we did it?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Any chance it's manned?

View Quote

I was just thinking the same thing. Was someone trying to defect or spy?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance it's manned?

How long did it take this thing to waft over here?  If there's a guy inside, he might have starved or died of dehydration already.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You know they may just have virus for us to try.
View Quote

In 1945, a Japanese Balloon Bomb Killed Six Americans, Five of Them Children, in Oregon
The military kept the true story of their deaths, the only civilians to die at enemy hands on the U.S. mainland, under wraps

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/1945-japanese-balloon-bomb-killed-six-americansfive-them-children-oregon-180972259/

"Other schemes proposed including infecting U.S. cattle and grain crops, or using balloon bombs as a means to disperse plague agents in North America."

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/japans-forgotten-plan-drop-plague-bombs-america-world-war-ii-174737
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Post em up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post em up
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bringing this down intact would be a treasure-trove of information, especially learning exactly what data it was capturing.  Not a trivial task but not impossible.  I'm sure some NSA and Air Force teams are researching options for this.
View Quote

We're going to find out they were listening to our rock-n-roll while conducting missile drills.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Where is it now?  

How are civilians not able to track this thing in their own?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance it's manned?

"I would like to have seen Montana."  

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Where is it now?  

How are civilians not able to track this thing in their own?
View Quote

This. Can't believe there isn't a tracker on twitter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Extremely weak leadership. We has.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Probably has U.S. made chips and stolen IP.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fun fact -

I had a pretty intensive class years ago for first responders to terrorist events. It was taught by some FBI terrorism dudes and the fire chief that was the incident commander at the OKC bombing. One of the scenarios discussed was the utilization of balloons launched off our coasts to drop biologicals into mainland USA.
View Quote
We actually discussed this possibility earlier today while it was overhead.
Page / 86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top