Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
NKJV
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wut  

You clearly put your trust in the writings of somebody else or your personal feelings.
View Quote

What in the world does that even mean? If you're reading any Bible, you're putting some trust in the writings of someone else. That goes for any book. And of course I put my trust in my personal feelings. This is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever read in GD.

And I stick by my original statement- Peter corrupted what Christ taught. Old Testament has a much longer and more reliable lineage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
KJV.

Well, and occasionally the JST
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What in the world does that even mean? If you're reading any Bible, you're putting some trust in the writings of someone else. That goes for any book. And of course I put my trust in my personal feelings. This is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever read in GD.

And I stick by my original statement- Peter corrupted what Christ taught. Old Testament has a much longer and more reliable lineage.
View Quote

I have never heard anything about Peter corrupting Jesus' teachings. What is the source material for this? I know Paul had a beef with Peter, but other than that, I don't know of any other criticism of his leadership in the early church. I'm willing to look into it though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
"But I thought the only version was the King James Version"  All joking aside, The KJV is the most comforting to me as it is the only translation I read now.  To each their own.  I am pretty sure that part of the rewards card of Salvation does not hinge better or worse as we all either end with one fate or another.  Dead to God or Eternal Salvation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The Orange Catholic Bible is the best version for the modern age, and the approaching future...
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
KJV is what I grew up on and raising my children on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Currently in  NKJV but cross referencing it with the Amplified bible. While I understand it is not the closest literally, it is very close. Part of my problem again due to age is being raised on KJV and memorizing KJV. There were not many options out there back in the 70-80's. So everything I learned was out of KJV and it is hard to undo that. If starting fresh, I would likely go with other versions.

Anyway, NKJV here for now with a side of Amplified.
View Quote

Although no translation is perfect, check carefully when you pick the newer versions.
Source material, background of translators, their agenda, etc.  I know of at least two alleged homosexuals in one group of translators.  Many non Christians also. All I’m going to say.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
NIV or ESV. Good balance between readability and faithfulness to the original text.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Orange Catholic Bible is the best version for the modern age, and the approaching future...
View Quote

I see what you did there, and I can bet someone who is unfamiliar just went to google it!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I see what you did there, and I can bet someone who is unfamiliar just went to google it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear the Muskian Jihad is close at hand!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've always thought that this was a hard question to answer, when phrased in terms of accuracy.

Almost none of us speak the languages it was written in. And of the few of very learned folks among us that might, even fewer are capable of understanding the language it was written in at the time. I mean...not many native English speakers can actually read Beowulf, and comparatively...it wasn't written that that long ago in the grand scheme of things, know what I mean? Languages evolve over time.

And then it gets stranger, when I think "Is the version that millions of Portuguese believers are reading actually all that accurate, in the finer details? And really...how would I even know? Not only do I not speak the languages it was translated from, I don't speak the version it was translated to". Lather, rinse, repeat for a ton of other translations.

I guess that's why they call it "faith".

I'm being a bit shitty there , but at some level, we all have to sort of accept a certain level of domain-specific expertise that none of us have, and just sort of go with it. It's either that, or devote large portions of our lives learning ancient (and then various modern) languages. It's a big ask.
View Quote

I've obviously missed something...

Anyway, I had been praying for you for years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
NIV
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which revision?

Pre or post Parris/ Blayney revision of 1769 that extensively redid it? (eta: interesting bit. When originally published, people complained at the stilted outdated english the translation used).

By the mid-18th century the wide variation in the various modernized printed texts of the Authorized Version, combined with the notorious accumulation of misprints, had reached the proportion of a scandal, and the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge both sought to produce an updated standard text. First of the two was the Cambridge edition of 1760, the culmination of 20 years' work by Francis Sawyer Parris,[101] who died in May of that year. This 1760 edition was reprinted without change in 1762[102] and in John Baskerville's fine folio edition of 1763.[103]

This was effectively superseded by the 1769 Oxford edition, edited by Benjamin Blayney,[104] though with comparatively few changes from Parris's edition; but which became the Oxford standard text, and is reproduced almost unchanged in most current printings.[1

If you want to see an original 1611 (and some other neat old translations) : https://www.bibles-online.net/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
King James only.

Ecclesiastes  8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

Which revision?

Pre or post Parris/ Blayney revision of 1769 that extensively redid it? (eta: interesting bit. When originally published, people complained at the stilted outdated english the translation used).

By the mid-18th century the wide variation in the various modernized printed texts of the Authorized Version, combined with the notorious accumulation of misprints, had reached the proportion of a scandal, and the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge both sought to produce an updated standard text. First of the two was the Cambridge edition of 1760, the culmination of 20 years' work by Francis Sawyer Parris,[101] who died in May of that year. This 1760 edition was reprinted without change in 1762[102] and in John Baskerville's fine folio edition of 1763.[103]

This was effectively superseded by the 1769 Oxford edition, edited by Benjamin Blayney,[104] though with comparatively few changes from Parris's edition; but which became the Oxford standard text, and is reproduced almost unchanged in most current printings.[1

If you want to see an original 1611 (and some other neat old translations) : https://www.bibles-online.net/

That depends on what colour it is.
For example, the tyres on my car are black, but that's not the only color, some even have white walls or even other colovr letters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Septuagint OT
NKJV New Testament
Orthodox Study Bible
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KJV is what I grew up on and raising my children on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been exclusively using the KJV since around 2010. I use a couple websites to help me but at this point I've trained myself in the archaic words used. I bought a reproduction of an Noah Webster 1828 dictionary that I used to use at first but now use the online dictionary. The Bible Gateway website is an easy way to compare versions if you are stuck on one verse and it's meaning.

I found one particular Bible I like. Published by Collins in 1958 which was printed in Great Britain. I've turned into a collector of that particular version and search them out.

KJV Dictionary

Bible Gateway

So why all this?  Years ago I felt led by the Holy Spirit to use this KJV version. The very first one I had was my Dad's that he wrote in for a bit. Before he passed away, he signed a dedication to me. I've since had it rebound in leather because I wore out the cover on the original. Before that I tried the NKJV and NIV. Don't use them anymore.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
NKJV, mostly because the rest of the flock reads it or KJV. I'm fairly new to the Word, and I appreciate the language in both versions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not even Christian, but I went on a long search for "truth." I read just about all of them, including the Gnostic chapters. King James is by far the worst IMO. Frankly all of the translations are pretty shit because Peter was a pedantic idiot who didn't understand a single word Christ said, and then who became focused on control and manipulation right from the beginning. Fight me, I don't care.
View Quote

I don’t fight people with more chromosomes than me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer the NKJV to the NASB because of the underlying Greek New Testaments.  They're both good translations otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have never heard anything about Peter corrupting Jesus' teachings. What is the source material for this? I know Paul had a beef with Peter, but other than that, I don't know of any other criticism of his leadership in the early church. I'm willing to look into it though.
View Quote

Cough

Looking for credible source materials for Peter's corruption of Jesus' teachings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

All you have to do is read Peter's writings and compare them to Christ's. Peter was dogmatic and power hungry, which is why the church went down the wrong path from the beginning. He was about controlling people, not exposing them to God's love or Truth. Christ did not mention a single "rule" or law. Peter's writings were basically all rules and laws. There's a reason why the Catholic church has been a total shit show from the beginning, and it starts with the first Pope and only got worse from there.

Like you mentioned, many scholars have shown that Paul was extremely against what Peter did and said, because it was in many ways directly opposed to what Christ actually taught. Christ taught about God and how to know him, Peter wrote about conforming to what his church said to do.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don’t fight people with more chromosomes than me.
View Quote

Oooohh. Good one. Very intelligent argument from someone who obviously not only can not read with any critical thought, but also can't think for themselves.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure what version but it’s on the new side. My bible has such modern language that it’s almost rap. Someone was looking at it and said it was given the Hamilton treatment.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
KJV   ONLY

LOL
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cough

Looking for credible source materials for Peter's corruption of Jesus' teachings.
View Quote

Like I said, all you need to do is learn how to read. As the saying goes, "no bad apple falls from a good tree." The Catholic church, founded by Peter and as the first Pope, has historically been one of the most corrupt institutions in recorded human history. Just compare what Peter wrote and established as dogma to what Christ wrote (which even then was poorly translated, like the "I am the way" scripture. The real translation is something like "The I am that I am is the truth,".

Now to really get people hot, there are many scriptural reasons why Jesus could not have been the Messiah as defined by pervious prophets. You all can do your own research, but Jesus was simply an awakened prophet who had realized the Truth or God, or Self or whatever you want to call it. Again, learning to read critically and actually analyze what is being said is the key here, not just trusting what your preacher tells you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oooohh. Good one. Very intelligent argument from someone who obviously not only can not read with any critical thought, but also can't think for themselves.
View Quote

just post through it.  You’re doing great!

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Like I said, all you need to do is learn how to read. As the saying goes, "no bad apple falls from a good tree." The Catholic church, founded by Peter and as the first Pope, has historically been one of the most corrupt institutions in recorded human history. Just compare what Peter wrote and established as dogma to what Christ wrote (which even then was poorly translated, like the "I am the way" scripture. The real translation is something like "The I am that I am is the truth,".

Now to really get people hot, there are many scriptural reasons why Jesus could not have been the Messiah as defined by pervious prophets. You all can do your own research, but Jesus was simply an awakened prophet who had realized the Truth or God, or Self or whatever you want to call it. Again, learning to read critically and actually analyze what is being said is the key here, not just trusting what your preacher tells you.
View Quote

The great “I Am” statements are John’s Gospel, not Peter’s epistles.

And your Greek is as terrible as your knowledge of gospel writers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The great “I Am” statements are John’s Gospel, not Peter’s epistles.

And your Greek is as terrible as your knowledge of gospel writers.
View Quote

Again, you seem to lack the basic intelligence to put the points together. You literally just have to compare what Peter wrote to what Christ said. It's just that easy, but if you're a moron and can't critically compare the two, then I guess that's a moot point for you.

Also, it has nothing to do with Greek or Aramaic or English for that matter. It has to do with the original transcriptions of what Christ actually said. People (like yourself) couldn't understand what Christ meant so they translated it incorrectly to conform to their limited knowledge, or just left out entire books because of the same reasons.

If you want, read the Gnostic gospels, but you won't be able to understand what Christ is saying because you lack the spiritual knowledge or knowledge of "Truth" or whatever you want to call it. You're exactly the dogmatic type that ruins Christianity and ignorant readers like yourself are the reason so many books were left out of the New Testament in the first place. Like I said, I don't consider myself a Christian, but I've done far more research than 99.9% of Christians. In fact, if you consider yourself a Christian, yet advocate violence of any kind, then you're a hypocrite and a disease to Christ's teachings. Sorry it's hard to accept for people, but that's the way it is with crystal clarity.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was not trying to insult you, I was genuinely curious about Peter as I have never heard those criticisms from any one. But now that you have gone there, I can see you're full of shit. I don't believe Peter was the first Pope, but I do believe that the Catholic Church has some faults just as every other denomination does. I am Southern Baptist by the way. College (MS College, BSEd) and Seminary (NOBTS, MDiv) trained as well, but I don't try to pull the "you're stupid and I'm smart card."
All I asked for was some references, which anybody that is seeking should be readily offered, but instead you decided to act like an ass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Our church is doing a read the entire Bible through the course of the year, and they like to use the ESV for everything.  My mother loves the ESV too and just about would swear by it, but I've found that the NIV one routinely gives me much more of an understanding of things than the ESV does.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#32]
ESV
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was not trying to insult you, I was genuinely curious about Peter as I have never heard those criticisms from any one. But now that you have gone there, I can see you're full of shit. I don't believe Peter was the first Pope, but I do believe that the Catholic Church has some faults just as every other denomination does. I am Southern Baptist by the way. College (MS College, BSEd) and Seminary (NOBTS, MDiv) trained as well, but I don't try to pull the "you're stupid and I'm smart card."
All I asked for was some references, which anybody that is seeking should be readily offered, but instead you decided to act like an ass.
View Quote

If that's the case, then I apologize in earnest. I took it that you were trying to insult me. Sincerely, my mistake, and again, I do apologize.

But really, I'm being serious, all you have to do is read Peter (who was the first Pope, that's a historic fact, he founded what became the Catholic church and declared himself the leader and chief expert of Christ, which is why he isolated himself from everyone else who Christ taught, but you can look all that up if you want), and then compare that to what Jesus taught. You have a dogmatic, rule-centric semi-tyrant trying to use Christ's teachings to control people. There are far too many scriptures to get into, but I believe if you read (or probably re-read) the differences between the two, the differences are obvious. Christ taught love and God. Peter tried to demand obedience, which has carried on through the Catholic church for 2000 some odd years. I mean, like I said, if we're talking the Bible, to paraphrase-"no good fruit falls from a bad tree."

I can't see any possible interpretation of the Catholic church as other than almost pure evil. I deeply respect the faith of people, but people also need to consider who's helping them along the way to uncover their relationship with God. Just my opinion of course. And also again, I think it is important to at least consider why multiple books and passages were left out of the NT.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#34]
King James 1611.

We are promised that his word shall be preserved to every generation. God also warns about adding to or removing from his word: the NIV, for example, completely omits a key portion of the Ethiopian eunuch story, removing the reply to the question, 'What doth hinder me?'
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If that's the case, then I apologize in earnest. I took it that you were trying to insult me. Sincerely, my mistake, and again, I do apologize.

But really, I'm being serious, all you have to do is read Peter (who was the first Pope, that's a historic fact, he founded what became the Catholic church and declared himself the leader and chief expert of Christ, which is why he isolated himself from everyone else who Christ taught, but you can look all that up if you want), and then compare that to what Jesus taught. You have a dogmatic, rule-centric semi-tyrant trying to use Christ's teachings to control people. There are far too many scriptures to get into, but I believe if you read (or probably re-read) the differences between the two, the differences are obvious. Christ taught love and God. Peter tried to demand obedience, which has carried on through the Catholic church for 2000 some odd years. I mean, like I said, if we're talking the Bible, to paraphrase-"no good fruit falls from a bad tree."

I can't see any possible interpretation of the Catholic church as other than almost pure evil. I deeply respect the faith of people, but people also need to consider who's helping them along the way to uncover their relationship with God. Just my opinion of course. And also again, I think it is important to at least consider why multiple books and passages were left out of the NT.

View Quote

Honestly, I know of no historical texts from Peter's time that declared him as Pope. I've always assumed that that was an anachronism placed upon him. He certainly didn't claim any primacy over the Church in Scripture, nor is it mentioned. Seems like such a bold assertion would have made it somewhere in the NT writings. I am not an expert on Catholic Church history, but from what I understand the Catholic Church as we know it wasn't established until many years after Peter's own death.

As far as leaving passages in or out in contemporary translations, they are based on older, presumably more accurate, manuscripts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
ESV, large print because my eyes suck.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Currently in  NKJV but cross referencing it with the Amplified bible. While I understand it is not the closest literally, it is very close. Part of my problem again due to age is being raised on KJV and memorizing KJV. There were not many options out there back in the 70-80's. So everything I learned was out of KJV and it is hard to undo that. If starting fresh, I would likely go with other versions.

Anyway, NKJV here for now with a side of Amplified.
View Quote

This is what I do--I try not to focus on individual words but look for themes that are consistent across verses and translations.  I think Amplified gives you some insight into the Greek without digging into it directly.  I start to get nervous when it sounds like people are building theologies around "ACTUALLY if you go back to the Greek it really means..."
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kept waiting for someone to bite on this. However, with anono having joined, I fear it will fall by the wayside amongst the pooh flinging.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I kept waiting for someone to bite on this. However, with anono having joined, I fear it will fall by the wayside of the pooh flinging.

View Quote

Read the first book.  Wasn’t impressed.  Watched the first movie.  Wasn’t impressed.

The real Bible is far more entertaining, even if you’re not a believer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I go back and forth between the KJV and the NKJV.

I have a Douay-Rheims around, and even a Geneva Bible.

But usually it's KJV. I'm used to it.

Douay-Rheims is actually pretty close to the KJV mostly, just the extra books cause heartburn with some folks.

The Lord's Prayer is somewhat different between the Bibles too. The ending specifically changes.

Lately I've been using an app called eSword which allows you to switch back and forth easily if you so desire. You can download just about every version out there, most free but some are for sale.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#41]
NASB Ryrie Study Bible here

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
ESV
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#43]
ESV, generally.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Read the first book.  Wasn’t impressed.  Watched the first movie.  Wasn’t impressed.

The real Bible is far more entertaining, even if you’re not a believer.
View Quote

I do have to admit, with all faith struggles, the Bible does offer a lot of food for thought.  I enjoy unpacking passages and taking things back to the original Hebrew and Greek as best as I can.  I don’t mess with trying with Aramaic.   The sheer number of people dissecting and offering insights on passages alone is pretty staggering, and entertaining.

I cannot pretend to be even remotely schooled in this area but am close friends with theologians who’ve studied this stuff their whole lives and it really is fascinating.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]
KJV
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
KJV
View Quote
You know, the painter of your avatar did some pretty good scriptural paintings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#47]
NIV and KJV.
And sometimes ESV for additional reference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Several.  Episcopalian but like many (most?), don't adhere closely to their rules.  They have a list of  versions allowed for in service reading but don't recall if a list for personal use and  study.  Etc.  I like our canon but the authority of  the books is discussed in the Articles of Religion and elsewhere.

I think selection of an appropriate version is personal. Every one is at a different place "religiously" and academically and may deserve multiple versions in their walk.

I had  Baptist Navy chaplain say he liked the  Jerusalem Bible but don't read the footnotes.  A protestant seminary professor in a Biblical Hebrew class say the material were translating with was the assured results of higher criticism but he winked as said it.  Any day something might turn up and we'd have new assured results.

It's interesting to read the Oxford  Encyclopedia on the history and relationships of "The Authorized  Version""s" and Douay-Rheims. (Winking about the Oxford University and Press in all of this.)

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I trust KJV or even the NKJV.

The company that puts it out needs to be considered. My 1st pastor that baptized me back in 1980 always mentioned Schofield, so that's what I would buy. I began noticing (particularly in the OT) that when it was obviously referencing God or Jesus when He or Him was used, it wouldn't be capitalized. I've been looking at Bibles to find my next one. I am leaning toward Nelson as the publisher of choice.

But, I stand firm that John 3:16 must have the word "begotten ". Some bibles are leaving that out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I like ESV but I prefer Textus Receptus, so I keep my greek english TR interlinear (with KJV and YLT) by Greene handy for comparison

Trying to read through an Old Geneva bible but the spelling of that time can take a while to get in the mode for

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top