BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always thought that this was a hard question to answer, when phrased in terms of accuracy.

Almost none of us speak the languages it was written in. And of the few of very learned folks among us that might, even fewer are capable of understanding the language it was written in at the time. I mean...not many native English speakers can actually read Beowulf, and comparatively...it wasn't written that that long ago in the grand scheme of things, know what I mean? Languages evolve over time.

And then it gets stranger, when I think "Is the version that millions of Portuguese believers are reading actually all that accurate, in the finer details? And really...how would I even know? Not only do I not speak the languages it was translated from, I don't speak the version it was translated to". Lather, rinse, repeat for a ton of other translations.

I guess that's why they call it "faith".

I'm being a bit shitty there , but at some level, we all have to sort of accept a certain level of domain-specific expertise that none of us have, and just sort of go with it. It's either that, or devote large portions of our lives learning ancient (and then various modern) languages. It's a big ask.
View Quote

The average person couldn't even read until the 1900's. The spoken word was much more powerful then. Take away tv, radio, internet and you have a family gathered around the fire listening to the same story's, tales and lessons over and over. Whether that story was in Latin, Greek or Aramaic someone who has heard the tale enough could start jotting it down fairly accurately. Apply it to song and then it becomes even easier to remember. Most adults in America could write down the story of rudolph the red nosed reindeer fairly accurately just from hearing the song a million times.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We have a winner!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vulgate or Douay–Rheims

We have a winner!

If your bible isn't in Aramaic you're led astray.  Even Koine Greek is the Devil's work.  Vulgate doesn't even count as a Bible around here
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Septuagent for OT and NASB for NT
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Or better yet, just use a NASB.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Not stuck on any one translation myself, but I do favor the NKJV and NASB, along with the Apostolic Bible Polyglot which is an interlinear translation of the Septuagint - useful for cross-referencing Hebrew with Greek.

Most of the time I just use BLB and flip through different versions or just look at the lexicon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s NASB 1995.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Engine Oil Bible from Bob is the oil guy.
Maren Morris - My Church (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
NIV. Pre 1984 version.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
1599 Geneva. Same one the Founding Fathers used.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's NASB 1995.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's NASB 1995.
Either is fine by themselves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
King James.

Anything else, and you may as well be reading the Koran and worshipping the Devil, or reading Harry Potter and other satanical texts.

As I was taught in elementary school.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I was raised with the King James, and so I tend to prefer that version.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Currently in  NKJV but cross referencing it with the Amplified bible. While I understand it is not the closest literally, it is very close. Part of my problem again due to age is being raised on KJV and memorizing KJV. There were not many options out there back in the 70-80's. So everything I learned was out of KJV and it is hard to undo that. If starting fresh, I would likely go with other versions.

Anyway, NKJV here for now with a side of Amplified.
View Quote

Which translation, you mean?

Nasb 95, esv, forget the year, have several of the post-blaney revision KJV's around, (and a facsimilie copy of the 1611 first release, didn't check to see if it's a he or a she); some NKJVS. Use a geneva (with the notes). Have a few 84 niv's hanging on on my shelves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
King James only.

Ecclesiastes  8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Douay-Rheims.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
King James only.

Ecclesiastes  8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?
View Quote

Which revision?

Pre or post Parris/ Blayney revision of 1769 that extensively redid it? (eta: interesting bit. When originally published, people complained at the stilted outdated english the translation used).

By the mid-18th century the wide variation in the various modernized printed texts of the Authorized Version, combined with the notorious accumulation of misprints, had reached the proportion of a scandal, and the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge both sought to produce an updated standard text. First of the two was the Cambridge edition of 1760, the culmination of 20 years' work by Francis Sawyer Parris,[101] who died in May of that year. This 1760 edition was reprinted without change in 1762[102] and in John Baskerville's fine folio edition of 1763.[103]

This was effectively superseded by the 1769 Oxford edition, edited by Benjamin Blayney,[104] though with comparatively few changes from Parris's edition; but which became the Oxford standard text, and is reproduced almost unchanged in most current printings.[1

If you want to see an original 1611 (and some other neat old translations) : https://www.bibles-online.net/
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing has the gravitas of the King James Version.  But I like NIV.  Seems to work for me and my wife.

It also has the beyond excellent concordance and fantastic study bibles.

Not sure about the other translation although I think Greg Laurie uses the NLT.  If he trusts it then I have to say I also trust it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
King James only.

View Quote

Literally not sure if serious. I mean it's beautifully written, but why not at least read a contemporary English version of almost any translation so it doesn't feel like your in a Shakespearean play?
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#20]
NASB, NKJV, ESV, and KJV.  I like all of those.  I have a real love for the KJV and can't memorize certain passages in ESV because I want to recite it in KJV from memory.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Reformation Study Bible
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So English is one of the Holy Spirit's original languages then...though so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Holy Spirit is in me. I speak english...so he kind of does with me...  

Didn't say that. But Jesus is white. All the pics show him as that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]
For the KJV purists though, NKJV is very close to kjv. Thee's and thou's replaced but still has the same structure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna take that as humor, because we have no idea what he looked like.

Eveyrthing we say represents him visually is a guess, and where it's wrong, we're literally lying on God.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]
NASB

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Red letter KJV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
NKJV with Biblehub app for cross referencing.
View Quote

Mostly this, and NASB.
I’ll Cross-reference various other translations as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
King James.

Anything else, and you may as well be reading the Koran and worshipping the Devil, or reading Harry Potter and other satanical texts.

As I was taught in elementary school.
View Quote

Sounds like we went to the same cult...I mean uh church...
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Douay-Rheims.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
1599 Geneva. Same one the Founding Fathers used.
View Quote

Same here! I just recently bought it and am now doing a yearly read through looking for the concepts of law and Government that the founders looked for (with the assistants of the original commentaries so dangerous that King James had removed).
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
King James here...but have no issues with people using a version that maybe reads easier to them.

I grew up reading KJV and NIV,  the NIV was easier as a teenage kid to read, so I can see why many would use that or something similar to better comprehend what they are reading.

Glad to know so many of us are still in the Word.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Formerly the RSV. Currently the ESV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#33]
NASB
My Jesus talks American!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess the King James not that it matters. I pray for understanding then read and have faith. Once you truly know of Gods existence nothing is the same.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I've used KJV, NASB, NKJV, NIV in the past.  Right now, I'm reading out of the ESV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Eveyrthing we say represents him visually is a guess, and where it's wrong, we're literally lying on God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a joke. But it is likely he had a mideastern look with darker skin.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#37]
NKJV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Catholic bible
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
KJV  I've got no problem with Shakespeare either. The modern versions of Shakespeare are crap. It even helps improve vocabulary skills.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Luke 17:21
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#42]

If you’re Protestant, I suppose ANY of the translations will work, thumb threw a few versions, and get the one that speaks to you..

If you’re catholic like me, pretty much the same thing, I like the St. Joseph’s edition.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I guess the King James not that it matters. I pray for understanding then read and have faith. Once you truly know of Gods existence nothing is the same.
View Quote

I get that. It's the KJV exclusively people that make me wonder. And red letter people. No one version is a perfect translation, as all translation, of any text or communication, is interpretation.
I used to love the KJV, I still do, but I used to, too. I also love ESV, NASB, HCS, and whatever else might be within reach. I try not to grab NWT, but it would do in a pinch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Septuagint and NASB
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#45]
KJV
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#46]
NIV
ESV
KJV

Biblegateway allows you to compare passages across almost all versions.

Its very beneficial and awesome when studying and reflecting on a passage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Obligatory:

English Bible Translations Family Tree
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That guy is one of my favorite youtubers. He just wrapped up a massive Christian denominations series.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I'll have to check that out
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Pre 95 NASB is my favorite read and I like KJV also
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top