Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember the Muslim guy on star trek?
View Quote

You mean this guy, who can trace his lineage back to Muhammed's great-grandpa?

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The problem is that in this politically correct time it is difficult to find relatively unbiased accounts.  
View Quote

This has been the norm throughout human history.  And no, it's not "getting worse".
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
With apologies to Country Joe and the Fish:

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is the Holy Land;

And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Works for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should we stand by and watch while Christians are slaughtered ??

Works for me.

You just trumped the OP with that post.  lol

Stay classy.

edit:  IBTL  

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was no such character because they don't exist in the future.....isn't the future great!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was no such character because they don't exist in the future.....isn't the future great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

George & Gracie
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

George & Gracie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

George & Gracie

I was just guessing and kidding....I never watched that show.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Protestants calling for crusades is like Jews calling for pogroms.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know how to embed. John Macarthur has a good sermon about Islam.

Hint: it only gets worse.

http://youtu.be/q0Arp72o1wQ - short version

http://youtu.be/bYcgky00nH4 - full version

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
These dumb fucks (Islamic extremists) won't ever calm the hell down...they keep morphing into different organizations...they try to out do each other by being more extreme and brutal than the last group.  I know this may not be a popular solution..but if we leveled the cities where these assholes lived...it would send a clear message to all extremists and wannabees that we should never be fucked with.  But of course we will be fucked with over and over again because nobody has the balls to swallow large amounts of collateral damage.  As unpopular as the A-bomb was...it put an immediate stoppage to Japan's bullshit.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seems to me you are splitting hairs here.

You are telling me having the sword was to be numbered among the transgressors. And Jesus directly telling them to get a sword was "allowing" them to sin? You lost me on that.

Sorry you are too smart for me by half. I thank you for your time. And I will leave you with this:

Jesus taught us to love one another as our selves. He taught us to ignore insults and minor injuries for the sake of peace, and to make amends with our brothers. He was pretty specific. If he wanted us to facilitate our own murder at the hands of our enemies, he would have said so.

I hope you and yours have a happy and blessed Christmas celebration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus interceded for the transgressors, i.e., you and me and Peter and everyone else. The point of buying the sword was not commanding Peter to sin, but allowing Peter to sin, which was doing what came naturally by attempting to prevent Jesus' arrest through violence using a sword.

Same would apply to Judas Iscariot, whom Jesus allowed, and in fact commanded, to go and carry out the betrayal. It was another case of Jesus ensuring that all the prophecy concerning Him was fulfilled.

Seems to me you are splitting hairs here.

You are telling me having the sword was to be numbered among the transgressors. And Jesus directly telling them to get a sword was "allowing" them to sin? You lost me on that.

Sorry you are too smart for me by half. I thank you for your time. And I will leave you with this:

Jesus taught us to love one another as our selves. He taught us to ignore insults and minor injuries for the sake of peace, and to make amends with our brothers. He was pretty specific. If he wanted us to facilitate our own murder at the hands of our enemies, he would have said so.

I hope you and yours have a happy and blessed Christmas celebration.

Thanks very much, and a merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hear you but history has spat in the face of what Christianity is consistently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It really is pretty cut and dried, actually.

As I said in my previous post, the Bible gives the stories of plenty of non-Christians persecuted Christians, even to death, and in no case did the Christians fight back. The one exception was, of course, Peter when he cut the ear off of Malchus, but Jesus promptly told Peter to put away the sword, then restored Malcus' ear.

The apostles, when they were jailed and beaten (twice) in Jerusalem, never fought back.

Stephen, when he was put on trial by the Jews did not even offer a defense, but instead preached the gospel to the priests who tried him. When they executed him by stoning, Stephen did not fight back, but instead prayed that God would not hold his death against his killers.

King Herod Agrippa beheaded the apostle, James, and arrested the apostle, Peter, but neither fought back.

Paul and Silas were stripped, beaten, thrown in stocks, and thrown into the innermost cell in the Philippian jail, but they did not fight back. In fact, when the opportunity came for them to flee, they did not--they stayed in their cells until the jailer released them. Then, they preached the gospel to the jailer.

Paul, when he was stoned at Lystra and left for dead, did not fight back. In fact, he continued preaching in the area and eventually returned to Lystra to check back in on the church there.

Paul, when imprisoned by the Romans (which started out as a protective measure) did not fight back. Instead, he demanded to be tried by Caesar and took the opportunity to preach the gospel to lots of people between Judea and Rome, starting with the Jewish religious leaders and continuing with King Agrippa and Governor Porcius Festus (which is an awesome name) and continuing on from there.

Nowhere do we see Christians commanded to defend territory nor are we given an example of Christians engaging in warfare to ensure their survival.

Christianity is all about putting off the worldly and putting on the spiritual, and what is war if not a worldly endeavor?

I hear you but history has spat in the face of what Christianity is consistently.

No doubt! It's almost like Jesus knew what He was talking about when He said on the one hand of people who do things like whip up crusades:

Matthew 7:21-23
Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

Many will say to Me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?"

And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."

...and on the other hand to people who actually do the will of the Father:

Luke 21:12-17
But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for My name’s sake.

It will lead to an opportunity for your testimony. So make up your minds not to prepare beforehand to defend yourselves; for I will give you utterance and wisdom which none of your opponents will be able to resist or refute.

But you will be betrayed even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death, and you will be hated by all because of My name.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My buddy Mastadon is usually pretty good at his exegesis, but he misses the mark here.

The Apostles were not the "transgressors" mentioned in the Scripture.  The Bible plainly states who they were.

Mark 15:27 And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.

28 And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.

It was the thieves on the crosses with Jesus that were the transgressors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second, and in answer to your question, Jesus quite clearly explains exactly why He told them to buy the swords.  He said to do so because prophecy concerning Him must be fulfilled. What was that prophecy?  The prophecy was that Jesus might be numbered with transgressors, or sinners. How was this to be fulfilled? How did Jesus tell His apostles to ensure that He was, in fact, numbered with sinful men? He told them to buy a sword.

So there you go. Jesus told the apostles to buy swords so, by carrying them, the apostles would be transgressors. As you know, Peter, who was one of the ones carrying the sword, would use that sword to cut off Malchus' ear, and Jesus would rebuke him as a transgressor. Thus, Peter used the sword to transgress the teaching of Jesus--he used it to exact violence on Jesus' persecutor.

My buddy Mastadon is usually pretty good at his exegesis, but he misses the mark here.

The Apostles were not the "transgressors" mentioned in the Scripture.  The Bible plainly states who they were.

Mark 15:27 And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.

28 And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.

It was the thieves on the crosses with Jesus that were the transgressors.

I absolutely agree that Jesus was numbered among transgressors as He was crucified between the thieves, but that doesn't address the question of why Jesus told the apostles to come up with some swords? The reason I gave was not one of my own conception, it was quoted from Jesus Himself. To save you the trip back up the thread, here's the passage quoted again:

Luke 22:36-38
And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘And He was numbered with transgressors’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.

They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.”

And He said to them, “It is enough.”

If the swords had nothing to do with the prophecy about transgressors, why did Jesus bring this up just before going to the garden? Jesus said two swords were enough, so enough for what? Surely the apostles didn't need swords in order for the Romans to crucify Jesus between two thieves!

Peter did in fact use the sword in the garden, and Jesus certainly did correct Peter and tell him to put away the sword.

Certainly, we can't claim that the apostles weren't transgressors. Since we're talking about Peter, we absolutely see that Peter was a transgressor in his denial of Jesus (he lied three times) and in Acts when Paul has to correct him for shying away from the Gentiles (and that even after Peter himself took the gospel to Cornelius). Oh, and didn't Jesus admonish Peter by saying, "Get behind me, Satan!" when Peter spoke his desire for Jesus not to die (Matthew 16:23)? Certainly Paul claims the title in his (amazingly comforting) words in 1 Timothy 1:15, and John wrote, "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8).

We also can't say that Jesus did not allow sin to happen, even among the apostles, and in fact that sin had to happen during the process of the fulfillment of prophecy about Him. After all, didn't He have to allow Judas to sin against Him with his betrayal? I already mentioned Peter's denial of Jesus.  As to non-believers, certainly the Romans who spat on Jesus and who carried out His torture and execution sinned, did they not?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think we are at war now...its just that only the Isamists are the only ones that know it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
answer the question: Is war with Islam imminent?

I think we are at war now...its just that only the Isamists are the only ones that know it.

Couldn't have said it better.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top