Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Had evidence on Hillary Clinton?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

glass panels have come down a lot recently, but they are still missing the safety aspect and there really needs to be some kids of HUD for synthetic vision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
man that really sucks....GA aircraft will let you get all crossed up in a hurry.

I always wondered why they just couldn't write some simple logic into the flight instruments....basically like having computer CFI in your ear.

The workload for single pilot GA is a lot for someone that doesn't fly every single day

A lot of GA (majority?) are still on steam gauges.

The cost to get something like that developed, certified, installed and maintained are crazy retarded expensive.  The vast majority of GA accidents are still VFR pilots flying into IMC or something along those lines.

Cessna 172 tend to be pretty dated airplanes and yet have an accident rate less than half of average.

glass panels have come down a lot recently, but they are still missing the safety aspect and there really needs to be some kids of HUD for synthetic vision.

It is like suggesting a RDS is a great solution to replace marksmanship practice.

The safety heads up the GA community needs is a post-it in the dash that says "Don't be retarded".

You are talking 15-65K to install a digital avionics suite in an aircraft.  That money would still be better spent on pilot training and currency.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You would htink the cirrus would have boots
View Quote

Rare to see boots on something that small. But boots aren’t a magic bullet anyway. The other day a booted Kingair iced up in Nevada and killed all aboard.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
wrong thread

I rescued a SR22 crash victim once
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can't tell engineers anything.

That is why the old school airplanes didn't even let them look out of the front.  
View Quote

Maybe the engineers should let the pilots design  the planes.
We’ll need more trains and ocean liners.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Cirrus is a comparatively high performance GA plane. That's not a good thing for less proficient pilots.

Frumpy Cessnas and Diamonds are not as slick. But they are relatively harder to get into trouble with. Those parachutes are cool. And they get used a lot, successfully and unsuccessfully, on the Cirrus.

[Real ATC recording] Fatal crash of Cirrus | Aerodynamic stall on go-around | Hobby Airport, Texas

Make your tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why the old school airplanes didn't even let them look out of the front.  

Engineers should engineer, pilots should pilot.  Neither should look too closely at the ways A&Ps work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Rare to see boots on something that small. But boots aren't a magic bullet anyway. The other day a booted Kingair iced up in Nevada and killed all aboard.

View Quote
Are you referring to the Guardian PC12 that crashed in Stagecoach, NV?  If so, Its still a little early to say it was icing, I don't think icing will be a factor when the investigation is finished.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Engineers should engineer, pilots should pilot.  Neither should look too closely at the ways A&Ps work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you referring to the Guardian PC12 that crashed in Stagecoach, NV?  If so, Its still a little early to say it was icing, I don't think icing will be a factor when the investigation is finished.
View Quote

Oh, you’re right. It was a PC12.

It was 100% ice.
A close friend declined to fly into Reno the same evening because of expected icing conditions. Client was mad. Client called back next morning very grateful they weren’t among the dead. Friend flew them in Saturday. Everyone lived to see another day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was 100% ice.
A close friend declined to fly into Reno the same evening because of expected icing conditions. Client was mad. Client called back next morning very grateful they weren’t among the dead. Friend flew them in Saturday. Everyone lived to see another day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 100% ice.

That one is going to be interesting due to breaking up in air.  I wouldn't be surprised if it results in CVR/FDRs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That one is going to be interesting due to breaking up in air.  I wouldn't be surprised if it results in CVR/FDRs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 100% ice.

An air med Cessna broke up mid air near here a few years ago.  

NTSB says it was a recovery attempt that overloaded the wings and spar.  

https://www.kxnet.com/news/local-news/ntsb-final-report-pilot-error-led-to-in-flight-breakup-of-airmed-jet-in-2018/
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is like suggesting a RDS is a great solution to replace marksmanship practice.

The safety heads up the GA community needs is a post-it in the dash that says "Don't be retarded".

You are talking 15-65K to install a digital avionics suite in an aircraft.  That money would still be better spent on pilot training and currency.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
man that really sucks....GA aircraft will let you get all crossed up in a hurry.

I always wondered why they just couldn't write some simple logic into the flight instruments....basically like having computer CFI in your ear.

The workload for single pilot GA is a lot for someone that doesn't fly every single day

The cost to get something like that developed, certified, installed and maintained are crazy retarded expensive.  The vast majority of GA accidents are still VFR pilots flying into IMC or something along those lines.

Cessna 172 tend to be pretty dated airplanes and yet have an accident rate less than half of average.

Those install numbers are all over priced
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rare to see boots on something that small. But boots aren’t a magic bullet anyway. The other day a booted Kingair iced up in Nevada and killed all aboard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would htink the cirrus would have boots

Damn...how the hell you crash a King Air...it's like just a giatn 172 with turbo props
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cirrus is a comparatively high performance GA plane. That's not a good thing for less proficient pilots.

Frumpy Cessnas and Diamonds are not as slick. But they are relatively harder to get into trouble with. Those parachutes are cool. And they get used a lot, successfully and unsuccessfully, on the Cirrus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyC15hRKJfY

Make your tradeoffs.
View Quote

Woman pilot was in over her skills and got low and slow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, you're right. It was a PC12.

It was 100% ice.
A close friend declined to fly into Reno the same evening because of expected icing conditions. Client was mad. Client called back next morning very grateful they weren't among the dead. Friend flew them in Saturday. Everyone lived to see another day.
View Quote
We'll see.  That PC12 had ice boots, and the available flight info doesn't look like icing to me, but they'll get to the bottom of it.  Terrible loss all around regardless.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We'll see.  That PC12 had ice boots, and the available flight info doesn't look like icing to me, but they'll get to the bottom of it.  Terrible loss all around regardless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you're right. It was a PC12.

It was 100% ice.
A close friend declined to fly into Reno the same evening because of expected icing conditions. Client was mad. Client called back next morning very grateful they weren't among the dead. Friend flew them in Saturday. Everyone lived to see another day.

The wing boots and prop boots are fine.
Unfortunately Ice can and will build up everywhere else on the aircraft in severe icing situations.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have these been grounded for some reason?
View Quote
Cirrus has grounded all the aircraft they own because of a potential oops in the Continental engine.  Seems some may have had a rod retaining clip installed backwards, and they could come apart in flight.

This one looks more like he died of Suddenly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All in on my Pitts I'm looking at 22-23K for a full 2 screen Dynon system with two axis autopilot. I'm doing all the work.

My friend that owns a very popular avionics shop has told me some of the prices/costs on large panel updates. Lets just say I'm staying on the experimental side of flying...

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All in on my Pitts I'm looking at 22-23K for a full 2 screen Dynon system with two axis autopilot. I'm doing all the work.

My friend that owns a very popular avionics shop has told me some of the prices/costs on large panel updates. Lets just say I'm staying on the experimental side of flying...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a little bit of background on the av maintenance side of things and I have worked on a huge project to digitize records

The amount of paper that goes into a certified airframe is really impressive.

I feel safer already.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why experimental interests me.  I’d damn near need another digit to the left of the decimal in my paycheck to not fly experimental.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My buddy says:

"GA really needs ejection cabins and some type of parachute recovery system for the pilotless plane, to reduce collateral damage. Maybe add a siren and smoke flares that activates during the last couple hundred feet of decent, to give people on the ground some warning."
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

GA flight controls are mechanical linkage. Nothing to “write”.

Little airplanes are dangerous.

Sucks for him and his family. But, looks like pilot incapacitation. Fly a good airplane into the ice on a clear day…
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, it’s not a puzzler.
Look at the weather. 8F, humidity on the rise, Snow, fog, ice.
Look at the flight speed/altitude track.

He iced up.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

8500’ ceiling. 10 mi vis.? Maybe what was posted for the weather at the time wasn’t correct.

Are we looking at the same weather? Even in moderate icing, he wasn’t airborne long enough to pick up a load of ice. Freezing rain would do it but it doesn’t look likely that kind of day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Talk on APC was single pilot, trying to circle to land in a valley, in shitty weather. Death spiral after disorientation.

Again, little airplanes are dangerous. The types of flying little airplanes do is dangerous.

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

People don’t think FAA Certification be like it is. But it do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a pic from my hotel room in Duluth about three hours before the crash. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145837/20230224_130825_HDR_2_jpg-2727452.JPG
View Quote

Facing the wrong way though
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mostly those are pretty new, with low time engines under 200hr. One of my family members just got a new SR22 right around the same time Cirrus grounded their own fleet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have these been grounded for some reason?

Mostly those are pretty new, with low time engines under 200hr. One of my family members just got a new SR22 right around the same time Cirrus grounded their own fleet.

Maybe he was doing some "testing" post corrective fix? Although I thought this one was on the engine manufacturer as it has some sort of snap ring that's in backwards and allows the pins for some bushing to walk itself out while the engine is in operation.

*Not a pilot, Not a mechanic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Talk on APC was single pilot, trying to circle to land in a valley, in shitty weather. Death spiral after disorientation.

Again, little airplanes are dangerous. The types of flying little airplanes do is dangerous.

View Quote
The highway right there would have been an awesome place to land.  It's wide, divided, and probably almost no traffic at that time.  The negative is that out there, there nearly no light at all, and certainly no light to tell where the highway is.  The roads out in Iron Mountain would be good too, but there are few houses and no street lights.

He had a small airport coming up quick on his right, a tiny strip behind him not too far, and a good airport only a little way back, way closer than Reno.  It's too bad they weren't able to get back.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top