BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High altitude mountain flying at night in a single engine recip! What could wrong?
View Quote
I'm a doctor but not a pilot. My dad was a pilot, and aviation fascinates me. Flying around ID/MT/WY, he developed a healthy respect for how easy it is to die in mountains. Beware the box canyon.

This scenario seems on the wrong side of the risk/benefit line.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quite patient? They made her do everything but an Immelman to accommodate "commercial traffic" that was overtaking her, changing runways multiple times and more
View Quote
I see you've already been corrected so I'll refrain from piling on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn. That is horrible. RIP
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know how all of the above work.  I was under the impression that O2 was only available as an option on the Turbo models.
View Quote
Portable O2 is an option on any aircraft if you have a credit card and a Sporty's catalog.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm a doctor but not a pilot. My dad was a pilot, and aviation fascinates me. Flying around ID/MT/WY, he developed a healthy respect for how easy it is to die in mountains. Beware the box canyon.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
High altitude mountain flying at night in a single engine recip! What could wrong?

Try not to run out of speed, altitude, and ideas all the same time right?

I know, that was a bit tasteless. But people need to respect the shit that will absolutely kill them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What do pilots and air traffic controllers have in common?

When the pilot screws up, the pilot dies.
When ATC screws up, the pilot dies.

Not a knock on ATC.  

If ATC is asking you to do something you are unsure of, just tell them you are unable, then tell them what you need.  Most will try to accomodate if you speak up.  They can't read minds, and they don't know if you only fly once in blue moon or you fly 5 times a week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hey! I'm a real pilot too!

In all seriousness, I've done some VFR low level flying over the Colorado Rockies. It can be sporty with the wind shear and downdrafts. What is the service ceiling on a single engine cirrus anyway? They are unpressurized I assume.
View Quote
I think most have oxygen installed. Should be able to do high teens, low twenties. No oxygen, that's a problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
VFR into IMC? I know that's a super common one that kills inexperienced pilots. Not sure what the weather was like at the time. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Were they flying VFR?

No such thing as VFR at night in my mind. Trying to fly VFR at night surrounded by mountains is a death wish.
View Quote
Night VFR in a single is a calculated risk. I've done a few hundred hours of it, and some have many thousands of hours doing it.

Night mountainous terrain VFR is a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Night VFR in a single is a calculated risk. I've done a few hundred hours of it, and some have many thousands of hours doing it.

View Quote
Night VFR in AK sucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Night VFR in AK sucks.
View Quote
Can you imagine doing it prior to RNAV?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
VFR into IMC? I know that's a super common one that kills inexperienced pilots. Not sure what the weather was like at the time. 
View Quote
Look at my post at the bottom of page 2.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can you imagine doing it prior to RNAV?
View Quote
The pioneers of aviation up here had more balls than brains.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Update 2 in the first post reports that the pilot got his license this year.  Of course not all news reports are factual.

From the FAA pilot database:

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT  
Date of Issue: 3/1/2017
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems almost daily/weekly that these "hobbysts" crash themselves and kill themselves and their passaengers
View Quote
I worked with a mechanical engineer that built a Mooney.  He was an arrogant sob.  He full-throttle augered it into the side of a mountain killing both himself and his wife.  ATC had already turned back a 737, yet he thought he could make it.  

I am going to bet this kills a lot of "hobbyists".  I had another coworker buy a high wing Cessna fixed gear plane.  He said he didn't want events transpiring in flight to be occurring any faster than they did in that Cessna.  He eventually sold his plane about 10 years later, still breathing, not an arrogant guy.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I worked with a mechanical engineer that built a Mooney.  He was an arrogant sob.  He full-throttle augered it into the side of a mountain killing both himself and his wife.  ATC had already turned back a 737, yet he thought he could make it.  

I am going to bet this kills a lot of "hobbyists".  I had another coworker buy a high wing Cessna fixed gear plane.  He said he didn't want events transpiring in flight to be occurring any faster than they did in that Cessna.  He eventually sold his plane about 10 years later, still breathing, not an arrogant guy.  
View Quote
The temperament and personality that makes someone a giant pile of money tends to be the opposite of one that makes for a good pilot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Night VFR in AK sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night VFR in AK sucks.
Depends on where you are. On the north slope with a clear night sky it was simply awesome. You could see the village's and town's mercury vapor lights from 100 miles (or more) away. No terrain and no need for GPS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depends on where you are. On the north slope with a clear night sky it was simply awesome. You could see the village's and town's mercury vapor lights from 100 miles (or more) away. No terrain and no need for GPS.
View Quote
Bristol Bay
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bristol Bay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bristol Bay
Yeah, that would suck.

I had a base manager ask me to fly into Anaktuvuk Pass one night when the weather was shitty and snowing to beat the band. I laughed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at what plane used to have that tail number: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=3469
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Look at what plane used to have that tail number: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=3469
View Quote
Coincidence? I think not.

It's a cursed tail number.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

TC
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
What are the odds of the similarities?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I live in the mountains above Jackson Hole. Just off the top of my head I can think of about twenty planes that have gone down in the mountains around here going back to 1954. A lot of them were general aviation pilots, several doctors, who got in trouble with mountain waves or icing. Several of them killed their families.

But some pretty experienced military folks crashed. The 1954 crash was a military transport that hit the side of Mt. Moran (12,500') in a storm. The wreckage is all down the lower Skillet Glacier where avalanches pushed it. You pass pieces of airplane when you climb that route.

During the 1988 Yellowstone fires they found a mostly intact B-17 that went down after the crew bailed out in the forties. Machine guns and everything.

During Bill Clinton's visit to Jackson Hole a military transport with his stuff crashed into Sleeping Indian Mountain when departing. They apparently ignored the flight directions for leaving. They missed clearing the ridge by about twenty feet. I've been to the site.
A number of folks have flown light planes into mountain canyons around here and couldn't clear the head of the canyon, or turn around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Source

"GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. — A Colorado family of four has been identified as the victims of a fatal small airplane crash.

Update 1:  One source has the crash happening around 1000 PM (may have been around 800 PM MDT).  Actually they lost radar contact which can be normal in the west.  If that point is near the crash site it still shows that they were flying in the mountains at night.  Source
View Quote

Thats a Denver based network....10pm to them is MDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
NTSB report of that crash

Pilot reportedly had four hours in type.

Cause of accident:  FAILED TO OBTAIN/MAINTAIN FLYING SPEED
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

'cause a doctor could never be smart enough to fly a plane safely?
View Quote
That's not what I meant and you know it.

I'm too lazy to google all the corporate/medical professionals who got their PPL and then killed themselves and their family doing stupid shit in airplanes. But the list is decades long.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doolittle had a lot of brains.  PhD from MIT.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he ever fly in Alaska? I used to live about a block from his childhood home in Nome but had never heard anything about him flying there. Guess I always assume the AAC taught him to fly. I'm bettin a simple Bing search could answer this question for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#31]
OK this might be a dumb question.

If your aircraft can do 17,500, and the highest peak along your route is about 11,000ft (Steamboat to Moab doesn't cross high ranges)... and vis is bad because night/weather/whatever... why do you not maintain 13,000ft? I'm guessing the answer is they are willing to pay for a SR22 parachute, but not an O2 system.

I'm just the guy who goes and picks up the pieces of people when they crash (and I"ve picked up a SR22 CFIT on a missed approach at night, family lived). Fun fact, the ELT doesn't work if it burns in the crash (182T that stalled avoiding terrain in IFR weather, whole family burned too)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
He didn't fly up here. I'm referring to the Wien brothers, Carl Eielson, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If your aircraft can do 17,500, and the highest peak along your route is about 11,000ft (Steamboat to Moab doesn't cross high ranges)... and vis is bad because night/weather/whatever... why do you not maintain 13,000ft? I'm guessing the answer is they are willing to pay for a SR22 parachute, but not an O2 system.

I'm just the guy who goes and picks up the pieces of people when they crash (and I"ve picked up a SR22 CFIT on a missed approach, family lived). Fun fact, the ELT doesn't work if it burns in the crash (182T that stalled avoiding terrain in IFR, whole family died)
View Quote
Because density altitude is a motherless bitch who may tell you your ceiling is a little lower than what the book says.

I don't feel comfortable in a car I've only been in for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm just the guy who goes and picks up the pieces of people when they crash (and I"ve picked up a SR22 CFIT on a missed approach, family lived). Fun fact, the ELT doesn't work if it burns in the crash (182T that stalled avoiding terrain in IFR, whole family died)
View Quote
Any night/VFR/low level flights should include a briefing and discussion on minimum safe altitudes. Especially over mountainous terrain.

Who knows, maybe he just didn't have the performance to out climb the Rockies. Or maybe he had a malfunction.

But I'm betting on inexperience, disorientation, and flying a perfect good airplane into the side of a mountain.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I was reading about this crash in the Aspen paper this morning.  Barring an engine failure I am a betting man that says CFIT.  Flying a single engine aircraft in the rocky's isn't a joke and it isn't for the inexperienced....night time isn't for anyone.  I watched a clown in a SR-22 (it seems to attract them) doing touch and gos in pitch black dark at Aspen airport one night.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
The bright side: at least they all died together. They didn't leave orphans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unknown.   First I would not fly that route at night.

If I had to in order to save Trump, then I would have been at 14,500 feet if that was adequate terrain clearance or 16,500 feet.

We know there were cloud layers.  What I do not know is cloud tops.   I don't fly in clouds.

I have seen enough to place the highest causal factors as flying into terrain or entered clouds and departed controlled flight.

The flight should never have been attempted.  

What I lack in training and experience I  make up for in superior Go-No Go judgement.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unknown.   First I would not fly that route at night.

If I had to in order to save Trump, then I would have been at 14,500 feet if that was adequate terrain clearance or 16,500 feet.

We know there were cloud layers.  What I do not know is cloud tops.   I don't fly in clouds.

I have seen enough to place the highest causal factors as flying into terrain or entered clouds and departed controlled flight.

The flight should never have been attempted.  

What I lack in training and experience I  make up for in superior Go-No Go judgement.
View Quote
This.

Single engine airplane at night in the Rockies. Things can go bad quickly.

Could have found himself boxed in by terrain, but unable to climb due to IMC/icing potential....

Probably never should have even taken off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would have been at 14,500 feet if that was adequate terrain clearance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I would have been at 14,500 feet if that was adequate terrain clearance
What is adequate terrain clearance?

I don't fly in clouds.
Is the primary concern turbulence or other weather effects in the clouds? Some clouds don't seem to have updrafts or precip... if so, if you are IFR, why can't you just fly by instruments? Maybe that's a dumb question from a guy who played a lot of flight sim with instruments...

I always wanted to be a pilot (like dad and granddad) but I don't really live in a place conducive to learning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Update 2 in the first post reports that the pilot got his license this year.  Of course not all news reports are factual.

View Quote
That is just the date of the most recent issuance.  It could be when he initially got it, but there no way of knowing with just a simple search.

Mine is dated 2015, but I've held a pilot certificate since 1993.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
6 months and already in a Cirrus....

I wouldn't feel confident in flying a Cirrus until I had at least 500hrs in a 172
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was reading about this crash in the Aspen paper this morning.  Barring an engine failure I am a betting man that says CFIT.  Flying a single engine aircraft in the rocky's isn't a joke and it isn't for the inexperienced....night time isn't for anyone.  I watched a clown in a SR-22 (it seems to attract them) doing touch and gos in pitch black dark at Aspen airport one night.
View Quote
I think you told that story before....that duds was nuts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is just the date of the most recent issuance.  It could be when he initially got it, but there no way of knowing with just a simple search.

Mine is dated 2015, but I've held a pilot certificate since 1993.
View Quote
You are right but the reported statement that he got his license this year...if true....is also relevant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Is the primary concern turbulence or other weather effects in the clouds? Some clouds don't seem to have updrafts or precip... if so, if you are IFR, why can't you just fly by instruments? Maybe that's a dumb question from a guy who played a lot of flight sim with instruments...

I always wanted to be a pilot (like dad and granddad) but I don't really live in a place conducive to learning.
View Quote
Lots of clearance.  There are not a lot of places to land in the event of an engine failure so the more the better.  The good thing is that exposure to reduced clearance (2000-3000/4000 feet) is minimal.

As far as clouds, I am not instrument rated.  The plane I flew was not equipped to fly in icing conditions.

Bottom line I am a fair weather pilot but have dealt with less than ideal flying conditions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Air Force regulations put your min safe alt 2k above highest terrain in mountainous areas. Not sure about civilian rules.

Unless you have an Instrument rating, and are on an IFR clearance, its against the rules to fly in clouds. Over the Rockies at night, I'm sure icing was a concern as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Rules? Shit there aren't any rules. There might be a recommendation.

Last time I flew in the Sawtooth, the group of planes that went up there acted like it was a contest to see who could scrape bellies on top of the mountains.

It was spooky watching it from behind. The plane I was in always maintained plenty of safety margin. Most of the other guys though, they didn't give a shit. At least if the engine quit and they collided on the side of the peak, they wouldn't have to worry about surviving that one. Because if they survived the crash, the cartwheel cleared back the fucking bottom would probably do them in at least.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Strangely enough, we are quite close to the Rockies and the Continental Divide and lose very few aircraft in the mountains.
Having flown VFR through the mountains several times is a very enlightening experience and a teaching tool.

Plan your trip in daylight and cancel it if weather conditions are not favourable.

Canyon flying in a 150 makes you respect looking up at mountains because you cannot fly over the top of them

RIP to the dead family.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Strangely enough, we are quite close to the Rockies and the Continental Divide and lose very few aircraft in the mountains.
Having flown VFR through the mountains several times is a very enlightening experience and a teaching tool.

Plan your trip in daylight and cancel it if weather conditions are not favourable.

Canyon flying in a 150 makes you respect looking up at mountains because you cannot fly over the top of them

RIP to the dead family.

View Quote
Day time VFR through the Rockies were some of my most memorable flying experiences. Distinct memories of looking up at mountain peaks as we flew past them. But I had a big engine, and it was good weather.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Regardless of ATC, nobody but the pilot crashed that plane.

"Unable" is a seldom used term by non professional pilots, but is often warranted.

She should have been more assertive, and at a minimum maintained control of the airplane. Don't drop the plane to fly the radios.
View Quote
Unable is a great word.

If you can't or don't want to do it. Don't,  but convey that message clearly.

If plan C is to go spin circles over some point in the airspace until it traffic dies down until you're comfortable that's fine.

I had that happen a few weeks ago. A guy wasn't comfortable getting worked in with corporate jets/ air carriers so I stuck him somewhere safe until things got quiet. Then I let him do his thing on a 11kft ft runway.

It's a lot of space for a decathlon to play.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night VFR in AK sucks.
I took off for Barrow once at minus 28 in a 206, there was a clear spot on the windscreen about 1in x 4 in. when we landed half frozen in Atkasuck 30 minutes later it was about 1/4th clear, we needed gps
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top