BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2020 10:50:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. I had such high hopes for this gun. Shame they “improved” it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like they are trying to do a Glock style trigger reset.

Video would be better if filmed from the side so you could see the entire movement of trigger and hammer.

I thought Colt fixed this problem and no excuses for a $1500 revolver.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL at peeps that thought they would get old Python quality in a $1500.00 revolver. Hell even the old ones were sorta weak.

The hell of it is the fan-boys that bought the first lot with the recall won't send them back so you will have a bunch of defective guns out there long after the recall is forgotten about.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
They make a great wall hanger though.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll just keep my 686s...

I've had shots at a few Pythons near the $1200-1500 mark. I couldn't ever bring myself to pay for them then and the new one certainly doesn't justify it either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad mine are alte sheisse and not neu scheisse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol. Now everyone remembers why people put Python barrels on Smith actions. The myth is a lie and the new guns are not even faithful remakes of the old ones.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]

you really can polish a turd.

dinged up crowns and poor quality, Colt is letting customers to the quality control

reliability trumps pretty every time

find an older 686, of get a GP100

clanging 90 yard steel with my GP100

Ruger GP100 4.2" 90 yard steel
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
So their revolvers are just like their ARs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
the big guy should don an eye patch and the girl jump on his shoulder and parrot more yt info

the new python may be a turd but an easy rule of thumb when you see someone shoot a revolver with their thumb tip close to the cylinder gap and they aren't wearing eye protection that's not a seasoned revolver shooter it's just theater.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
There’s a very real “don’t meet your heroes” vibe in the gun world.

Python, MP5, UZI, AK.... often lose a bit their reputation once they actually get shot a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Python, MP5, UZI, AK.... often lose a bit their reputation once they actually get shot a bunch.
View Quote

I've never seen anyone say anything negative about an MP5.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
So in her annoying style she essentially says the gun is crap that shouldn't have left the factory and that Colt should have ("kinda sorta" done a recall but she still loves it and recommends it.  Weird review.

Are those laminated grips on that gun?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one WAY back in the day. It was very nice, but even I knew it was overpriced and overhyped.

It's a shame the new ones are coming our like this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I sold my original Python years ago—it didn’t fit my hand like a 586, which is also a better looking gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Save $1000 and get a Dan Wesson or $500 for a Smith.  Colt shot themselves in the foot by cutting the civilian AR market off years ago.  They just didn't do it with a python because it failed to fire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I like these so much I went out and...…..bought a GP-100.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It looks like they are trying to do a Glock style trigger reset.

Video would be better if filmed from the side so you could see the entire movement of trigger and hammer.

I thought Colt fixed this problem and no excuses for a $1500 revolver.
View Quote

They have fixed it, the Op and the video are late to the game.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Ill stick with my Smith's for now.

Attachment Attached File

12 yards. .357 mag from concealment

8" steel at 15 yards from concealment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s why I bought this one last week.
1977 6” Python in Royal Blue.
No turn mark, not a blemish on it.
Got it for a steal from someone who may have needed the cash.
Paid him what he was asking for it.
It may take up to 2 months before I see it due to our transfer system.
I’ll post up pics when I get it.
Humble brag.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So in her annoying style she essentially says the gun is crap that shouldn't have left the factory and that Colt should have ("kinda sorta" done a recall but she still loves it and recommends it.  Weird review.

View Quote

Yeah, she doesn't come across as someone that knows anything about firearms, and yet owns a company that teaches classes about firearms.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, no royal blue, no care.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll keep my old ones.

You don't make high end revolvers on the cheap.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by my two post samples.  Liked the Beretta 12S much better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Really armscor ammo they Couldn’t pony up for a box of federal or WWB?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The new ones are but a shadow of it's predecessor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/766/1962python-1389051.png
View Quote

And so is pretty much any product made today. I'd be willing to bet that every factory worker that knew how to build a Python retired years ago, The only thing "Python" about these things is the worn out name.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Never cared for Colts

Not only is the cylinder relais just wrong they are lock work has always been very finicky.

They are definitely a Target revolver, not a Combat revolver, they're just too ... delicate? Temperamental? I can't quite find the words.

But they did have great barrels, so much so that's back in the day people used to put Colt barrels on Smith frames.

Smith's or Ruger's for me all day everyday.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Really armscor ammo they Couldn’t pony up for a box of federal or WWB?
View Quote

Should of had a few brands just for accuracy testing.

Yes, the thumb forward is an accident waiting to happen and she has a bad habit of spinning that cylinder. It was kind of odd stating that the trigger was sweet in the opening but sucked during usage along with the failures and still recommending it for purchase.

I've always preferred S&W over other manufacturers in the common class DA, something most people can afford that isn't a heap, and even they are a crap shoot today if you're a novice, don't know what to look for or know somebody to take along to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And so is pretty much any product made today. I'd be willing to bet that every factory worker that knew how to build a Python retired years ago, The only thing "Python" about these things is the worn out name.
View Quote

You are right on that fact, it's going to take the current new Workforce building these things quite a few years before they can get it down, revolvers are a more old school craft compared to an assembly line just piecing together polymer double stack handgun, especially with a Colt action, everything has to be just so.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll stick with my two original Pythons.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
The trigger isnt missing 14 parts. Colt was able to machine many parts as one piece due to advances in CNC machining.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
She's hotter than the gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#34]
What they should have done was aim to release these at half the price, as long as they worked or ironed out the bugs in due time. They'd easily beat the current Hillary hole production S&Ws and compete with Ruger. At $1500 they not only slashed their sales volume but blew up expectations for a gun that did not meet them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LOL at peeps that thought they would get old Python quality in a $1500.00 revolver. Hell even the old ones were sorta weak.

View Quote
yeah there is a lot of "rose colored glasses" with many peoples view of the Python
back 20-25 years ago when they weren't anything special we'd get um traded in fairly often , a significant amount had timing issues
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I have hopes they’ll more or less figure it out in time. There’s a considerable knowledge and skill gap they need to catch up on, whether or not that’ll happen I don’t know. Until then I’ll make due with my GP100, which is a fraction of the price but runs like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I always felt that the orginal Python trigger felt spongy. That is why I sold the two that I had owned. The new Python trigger feels like a well worn S&W trigger. I like it a lot better than the original.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a POS.
Always will be.

I had an original that went out of timing in less than 50rnds.

My 686 and GP100 not an issue
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#39]
She has some really awful habits.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, she doesn't come across as someone that knows anything about firearms, and yet owns a company that teaches classes about firearms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, she starts the video off by talking about how Colt began manufacturing the Pythons in the early 90's through the early 2000's.

She knows a lot!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#41]
... Very, very nice looking revolver
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#42]
That was painful to watch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#43]
That video shows no evidence the new Python sucks
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Guy needs to work on not disturbing the sights while he pulls the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
$1500 worth of stink
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I’ve got Uzi’s both old and new — never a disappointment.  Are they the most finely-crafted  lightest weapons in the world?   Of course not, but no one who wasn’t an idiot ever purported them as such.  They are the old reliable, tough-as-rocks “battle axes” of the sub gun world.

I had “old” Pythons that shot  and felt great, but even “back in the day” the consensus was that the lock work was a bit fussy/fragile, and if you were going to shoot a lot, get a S&W or Ruger revolver for 1/2 the price and 10x the reliability.  And that’s what I did.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow, that's pretty terrible.  An unreliable Colt revolver.

Pffffpptttt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Wood plow, then go out and buy another S&W or Ruger, then plow her again

Have tried several times over the years to like Colt revolvers and never had any luck. Acceptable accuracy, decent looks, just not THAT MUCH better in any realistic, practical way than other guns to justify their purchase for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very common women owned business are a front for husband or male family member to get to the front of the line on government contracts.  Not saying this is the case but I have seen it a lot.

Yea I wasn’t impressed with her rambling review but I did appreciate the honest statements that the gun has reliability issues.  

Wouldn’t trade my 1961 royal blue 4” for a new one.  

I too prefer smith triggers.  

Did she say they beefed up the steel 30%?  It was a heavy 357 before the change.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must not pay attention people dump on it hear all the time. Roller lock is overhyped outdated design etc etc.

These pythons were tailored made for internet backlash and derision. The moment they were announced the hate train got rolling and I’m guessing 99.99% of the trash talk have been people that have not even shot it much less even touched one. Take the “recall “ that from what I can find is total internet rumors. Some guy knows a worker at a local gun store and they supposedly got an email from colt. That’s all they got no email pictures or anything. Unless I missed a big announcement that isn’t showing up on google. If the screw being loose is all that’s causing then not to turn you’d never see a company issue a full recall. Particularly if it’s on a small portion of the whole number manufactured. You’ll never get a straight answer out of colt on how many it actually was but eating the cost of only having the defective ones sent back for repair is fairly standard sop for companies.

I got an old 4 and 6 inch python and love them. Got money down on a new 4.25 2020.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top