Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, she starts the video off by talking about how Colt began manufacturing the Pythons in the early 90's through the early 2000's.

She knows a lot!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So in her annoying style she essentially says the gun is crap that shouldn't have left the factory and that Colt should have ("kinda sorta" done a recall but she still loves it and recommends it.  Weird review.

Are those laminated grips on that gun?

Yeah, she doesn't come across as someone that knows anything about firearms, and yet owns a company that teaches classes about firearms.

Yeah, she starts the video off by talking about how Colt began manufacturing the Pythons in the early 90's through the early 2000's.

She knows a lot!

Lol yea.  I caught that.  

It was about the mid nineties that they reintroduced the detective special.  My favorite gun pusher handed me one that just came in, I swung open the cylinder to examine the chambers then closed the cylinder.  It wouldn’t latch, it just flopped open.  I handed it right back.  They had to send it back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man some of that gun handling had me squirming. Fucks sake.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They have fixed it, the Op and the video are late to the game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks like they are trying to do a Glock style trigger reset.

Video would be better if filmed from the side so you could see the entire movement of trigger and hammer.

I thought Colt fixed this problem and no excuses for a $1500 revolver.

They have fixed it, the Op and the video are late to the game.
Is Colt selling them again?  I haven't seen any at distributors for a while.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not trust anything she says after demonstrating such poor gun handling. Her stupid victory dance at the end BEFORE she unloads and shows clear is an ND waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a POS.
Always will be.

I had an original that went out of timing in less than 50rnds.

My 686 and GP100 not an issue
View Quote

And I had an early 686 that could only be charitably called a POS.. Crappy accuracy and spit lead everywhere plus the cylinder gap could fit Fulda.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LOL at peeps that thought they would get old Python quality in a $1500.00 revolver. Hell even the old ones were sorta weak.

The hell of it is the fan-boys that bought the first lot with the recall won't send them back so you will have a bunch of defective guns out there long after the recall is forgotten about.
View Quote

This.   I had an older one that came in in the Maroon colored box.
Nice looking gun but I had light primer strikes with it all the time.  They had the V shaped leaf spring so you had to get another spring unlike the S&W where you just tighten a screw to increase spring pressure
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol a revolver that has light primer strikes right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt probably just assumed 95% of these would wind up safe queen investments anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen some new ones with a really fucked up crown.

for those who don't know....a good crown is essential to accuracy

here's an example of a new one.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah there is a lot of "rose colored glasses" with many peoples view of the Python
back 20-25 years ago when they weren't anything special we'd get um traded in fairly often , a significant amount had timing issues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL at peeps that thought they would get old Python quality in a $1500.00 revolver. Hell even the old ones were sorta weak.

yeah there is a lot of "rose colored glasses" with many peoples view of the Python
back 20-25 years ago when they weren't anything special we'd get um traded in fairly often , a significant amount had timing issues

A combination of
-they actually were pretty good just not nearly as good as the myth
-you can’t get them new
-they are extraordinarily pretty firearms
-they came at a premium even in their hayday
-they’re kind of like old Corvettes. Nice, very attractive revolvers that older guys wanted 50 years ago when they were young but couldn’t afford

Put all of those things together and obviously they must have been the nicest, highest-performance, production revolvers literally ever and everything else is garbage by comparison. Even if Colt had made the news one just the same or even improved them, they still wouldn’t be as good as they once were.

As it is, what we are seeing now is proof-positive of something that some people have known or suspected for a long time; Colt ain’t up to snuff anymore. I’ve gotten shit for saying that 6920s shouldn’t be considered the baseline standard for ARs, but the new Python debacle isn’t the first time that I’ve heard people complaining about poor manufacturing quality and quality control.

If you want a new revolver then you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Smith or a Ruger, and, unless your heart is set on a Python and only a Python, you will almost certainly be happier with your purchase.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll work the kinks out. I don't know how long it'll take.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have hopes they’ll more or less figure it out in time. There’s a considerable knowledge and skill gap they need to catch up on, whether or not that’ll happen I don’t know. Until then I’ll make due with my GP100, which is a fraction of the price but runs like a raped ape.
View Quote

In the interest of being reasonable this is entirely true. New guns have problems and, while I remain skeptical, it is entirely possible that Colt just needs a little time to get the manufacturing right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like these so much I went out and...…..bought a GP-100.
View Quote

That's what I'm going to do as soon as I can find one in town.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
The new Pythons do not have the same lockwork as the original models where the hand held the ratchet until the trigger was released. Those revolvers were all hand fitted and the hand was considered a wear item. The new ones use a transfer bar and lockwork based on the Trooper.

I think most people shitting on these have never shot a Colt revolver, let alone one of the new ones, and probably own a Smith or Ruger (if they own a revolver at all) because they are not a Taurus and have been more available over the last 3 decades or so. The actual "issue" with these seems to be loose side plates.

I still plan on getting a 6" when they catch up with production in another year or two and the price settles down to $1300 or so. If the trigger is anything like the new Cobras they will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, she doesn't come across as someone that knows anything about firearms, and yet owns a company that teaches classes about firearms.
View Quote

This is sort of the norm with new instructors nowadays.  However I want more females shooting so I'll give her a break.  I also plan to get a new Python to go with my old Python, and Dan Wesson, and Smith and Wesson collection.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very common women owned business are a front for husband or male family member to get to the front of the line on government contracts.  Not saying this is the case but I have seen it a lot.

Yea I wasn’t impressed with her rambling review but I did appreciate the honest statements that the gun has reliability issues.  

Wouldn’t trade my 1961 royal blue 4” for a new one.  

I too prefer smith triggers.  

Did she say they beefed up the steel 30%?  It was a heavy 357 before the change.
View Quote

There’s 30% thicker steel in the top strap near the rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I was hoping to buy one to, but heard nothing but bad reviews.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
She has some really awful habits.

View Quote

Flinching isn't one of them, unlike the guy she was shooting with. He flinches like somebody is throwing punches at him.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

you really can polish a turd.

dinged up crowns and poor quality, Colt is letting customers to the quality control

reliability trumps pretty every time

find an older 686, of get a GP100

https://i.imgur.com/sxpoT1D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9bQnRJL.jpg

clanging 90 yard steel with my GP100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umk68uyVxtA
View Quote

How many rounds did it take to get the cylinder on that GP100 that color? Sounds like fun, and I'll bet the $600 gun worked just fine.

I had a Redhawk 20 years ago, and a guy showed up with an Anaconda. He had a shitload of light strikes, with my ammo and with his.

My Redhawk at less than half the price worked so much better the Anaconda guy tried to trade me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like these so much I went out and...…..bought a GP-100.
View Quote

I bought a 686 from a local atfcommer for $550. Gets my .357 fix, it's accurate and it works.

I want a blued, 6" GP too though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That’s why I bought this one last week.
1977 6” Python in Royal Blue.
No turn mark, not a blemish on it.
Got it for a steal from someone who may have needed the cash.
Paid him what he was asking for it.
It may take up to 2 months before I see it due to our transfer system.
I’ll post up pics when I get it.
Humble brag.
https://i.postimg.cc/mDsJqrFH/72921-EAD-F2-A8-41-A3-83-F8-255-DDC107-E29.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful, but so nice of shape it would be wrong to fire it. I'd rather have one that someone else put a bit of wear on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I totally do NOT get people's love of Colt.  

At one time Colt was a premier maker of fine firearms.  I once owned a Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903.  The manufacturing care taken on that firearm was fantastic!  Awesome fit and finish, no machining marks anywhere, and a totally fantastic finish to boot.  Unfortunately that was 1922.....  There were tons of fine Colt firearms the were great examples of a well made product.  Unfortunately, those guns were all made many decades ago.

From about 1985 and onwards, Colt simply WAS NOT the Colt of decades earlier.  Continued labor issues in the Connecticut plant, piss poor management and generally just a whole lot of sloppy "don't give a shit" lousy manufacturing turned previously-fantastic Colt into "completely-overpriced-turd-relying-on-our-old-reputation" Colt.  Many here are aware of the dramatic decline in Remington.  Rem got bought out, and started turning out complete garbage.  Well, if you are familiar with the Remington story, you should be familiar with the Colt story, since Colt beat Remington to that ignominious decline by a couple decades.

Colt once made a very good firearm.  They've made crap, and over charged for it, since the mid 80's.   Slapping the rampaging colt logo on the side of the firearm doesn't make up for shoddy workmanship.  I've handled a few new Colt firearms that were so shoddily slapped together I swore the manual would read "To disassemble for cleaning, grasp the firearm firmly and shake vigorously.  Parts will fly off...."

if you are buying a newly manufactured Colt and expecting the quality fit and finish of a Colt made sometime prior to the Cuban Missle Crisis, good luck.  

Fro

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The new Pythons do not have the same lockwork as the original models where the hand held the ratchet until the trigger was released. Those revolvers were all hand fitted and the hand was considered a wear item. The new ones use a transfer bar and lockwork based on the Trooper.

I think most people shitting on these have never shot a Colt revolver, let alone one of the new ones, and probably own a Smith or Ruger (if they own a revolver at all) because they are not a Taurus and have been more available over the last 3 decades or so. The actual "issue" with these seems to be loose side plates.

I still plan on getting a 6" when they catch up with production in another year or two and the price settles down to $1300 or so. If the trigger is anything like the new Cobras they will be well worth it.
View Quote

You're the first person I've seen have a nice word to say about the new Cobras. The one I looked at, looked like it was made by Century.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're the first person I've seen have a nice word to say about the new Cobras. The one I looked at, looked like it was made by Century.
View Quote

You must not have met someone who actually shot one then.

I know the bead blast finish wasn't popular at first, and they have gone to a brushed stainless finish that looks better. To get a comparable trigger to one of the run of the mill out of the box Cobras you'd have to buy a custom shop S&W.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
woman in that video has enormously large hands for her size.....

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
686 pre lock > Any Colt Python
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#29]
That video was utter garbage for a host of reasons.  First, she starts out repeating every prior video gripe about the Python.  But did she show us the crown on HER gun?  Hell no.  Did she check to see if the screws in the sideplate of HER gun were loose?  Hell no.  So she was holding a data point in her hands and just ignored it to repeat all the grousing of others.  Pathetic.

Quoted:

Should of had a few brands just for accuracy testing.

Yes, the thumb forward is an accident waiting to happen and she has a bad habit of spinning that cylinder. It was kind of odd stating that the trigger was sweet in the opening but sucked during usage along with the failures and still recommending it for purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really armscor ammo they Couldn’t pony up for a box of federal or WWB?

Should of had a few brands just for accuracy testing.

Yes, the thumb forward is an accident waiting to happen and she has a bad habit of spinning that cylinder. It was kind of odd stating that the trigger was sweet in the opening but sucked during usage along with the failures and still recommending it for purchase.

Spend $1500 on a gun and then shovel shit ammo into it.  What a damn world.  If ya can't afford enough good ammo then load your own.

I get it - she's not a revolver person.  I can forgive her painfully slow loading of the cylinder.  But when she spun the cylinder I was stunned at the ignorance.  Her grip was hideous.  Her lack of eye protection was unforgivable.

Her buddy's flinch made me cringe.  Dude, do some frackin ball-and-dummy drills.

Hickok45's video review of the Python I respect.  Hers, not so much.

When/if I ever get a Python (which will be when I can get one at MSRP) I will post my review.  Y'all can rip it to shreds, as well.  Heck, invite "Hot Brass and Bullets" to critique my video if that'll make her feel better.  But at least I take my safety seriously and can run a revolver the way it is meant to be run.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That video was utter garbage for a host of reasons.  First, she starts out repeating every prior video gripe about the Python.  But did she show us the crown on HER gun?  Hell no.  Did she check to see if the screws in the sideplate of HER gun were loose?  Hell no.  So she was holding a data point in her hands and just ignored it to repeat all the grousing of others.  Pathetic.

Spend $1500 on a gun and then shovel shit ammo into it.  What a damn world.  If ya can't afford enough good ammo then load your own.

I get it - she's not a revolver person.  I can forgive her painfully slow loading of the cylinder.  But when she spun the cylinder I was stunned at the ignorance.  Her grip was hideous.  Her lack of eye protection was unforgivable.

Her buddy's flinch made me cringe.  Dude, do some frackin ball-and-dummy drills.

Hickok45's video review of the Python I respect.  Hers, not so much.

When/if I ever get a Python (which will be when I can get one at MSRP) I will post my review.  Y'all can rip it to shreds, as well.  Heck, invite "Hot Brass and Bullets" to critique my video if that'll make her feel better.  But at least I take my safety seriously and can run a revolver the way it is meant to be run.
View Quote

Armscor is not "shit ammo".
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think it was light primer strikes.

I don't think the cylinder was advancing , which falls in line with other reported cases seen on you tube.

Unbelievable
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Colt LOL.

My first two pistols were Colts.  They were my last Colts for 20 years.  Then, I tried again this past Februrary.  I should have known better.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

She knows a lot!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So in her annoying style she essentially says the gun is crap that shouldn't have left the factory and that Colt should have ("kinda sorta" done a recall but she still loves it and recommends it.  Weird review.

Are those laminated grips on that gun?

She knows a lot!

Just because some bimbo owns a company, doesn't mean that she has a clue about the "nuts and bolts" of the company. Apparently that is the case here.  Same for all the ignorant comments about Colt Pythons.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
We had a few used ones in the gun case back in the day, they were nice, but I still kick myself in the ass for not buying that sweet Diamondback we had. It was jelly.

The problem is the cost. For $1300, it should come with a target that was shot with the pistol from someone on Colt's pro shooting team. What they are sending out is more like high school kids piecing stuff together and not checking their work. This is just an evolution of a problem they've had for a while. Just like the Colt 1911's where the fucking plunger tube fell off because no one could take the time to do a proper staking job.

Gp100 is like half the price, easily enough room to put $500 worth of work in a gun like that and have a superior firearm. Or go buy a super GP100.

She didn't do a very good presentation, but she could shoot it. She really didn't shine till the end of the video, then it was oddly arousing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know the bead blast finish wasn't popular at first, and they have gone to a brushed stainless finish that looks better. To get a comparable trigger to one of the run of the mill out of the box Cobras you'd have to buy a custom shop S&W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I handled a new King Cobra today and I must say the trigger was very nice. The brushed finish does look better than the initial bead blast they used on the Cobras. The fit and finish was better than the SP101 that was next to it in the case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#36]
God damn, she is annoying to listen to.

Voice goes up at the end of every sentence.

Sure sign that she has no actual knowledge of what she is talking about and just (poorly) memorized some talking points.

That said, as an FFL, the new Pythons are white, hot, garbage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Beautiful, but so nice of shape it would be wrong to fire it. I'd rather have one that someone else put a bit of wear on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Humble brag.

Thanks,
I’ve wanted a Royal Blue Python ever since I started shooting 10 years ago.
It’s had a couple of boxes of ammo put through it early in its life apparently.
I may just put together 50 rounds of mild .38 special and run a cylinder or 2 through it.

I am going to get a GP100 as a shooter but I was looking for an older one with the actual roll mark instead of the laser etched crap I’ve seen the past few years.
Typically in Canada you could get a used GP100 in stainless for around $600.
Now you can’t find them for less than $900.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've seen some new ones with a really fucked up crown.

for those who don't know....a good crown is essential to accuracy

here's an example of a new one.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H2gyAlEBM6c/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll stick with my GP100.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Are the new Dan Wessons worth a look?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't think it was light primer strikes.

I don't think the cylinder was advancing , which falls in line with other reported cases seen on you tube.

Unbelievable
View Quote

I believe you are correct. If the cylinder had been advancing, and the revolver suffering from light hammer strikes during the misfires, the chambers would not have ultimately fired in sequence.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

To get a comparable trigger to one of the run of the mill out of the box Cobras you'd have to buy a custom shop S&W.
View Quote

Lol.

Or spend about 10 bucks on Wolff springs and about 10 minutes polishing surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like the new Cobra is a better gun than the new Python.  I've heard more negative stuff about the new Python.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I played with a few well worn older Colt revolvers.... I will NEVER hold them in the same regard as Smith&Wesson
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks,
I may just put together 50 rounds of mild .38 special and run a cylinder or 2 through it.

I am going to get a GP100 as a shooter but I was looking for an older one with the actual roll mark instead of the laser etched crap I’ve seen the past few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Humble brag.

Thanks,

If I ever get a Python it will be a royal blue...but will be more than happy with a well maintained shooter. No sense buying pristine when I plan to use it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've never seen anyone say anything negative about an MP5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s a very real “don’t meet your heroes” vibe in the gun world.

Python, MP5, UZI, AK.... often lose a bit their reputation once they actually get shot a bunch.

I've never seen anyone say anything negative about an MP5.

Get ready!

Heavy as shit compared to other long guns
No bolt hold open
Shitty platform for optics
Wonky paddle mag release

Overrated as shit.  Used one (a real one) for a decade as an issued weapon.  Give me an AR any day.

MP5 is popular because of hipsters and scarcity
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I handled a new King Cobra today and I must say the trigger was very nice. The brushed finish does look better than the initial bead blast they used on the Cobras. The fit and finish was better than the SP101 that was next to it in the case.
View Quote

it would be nice if rugers had better fit and finish but they just work and some frames can withstand stupid loads

when a smith and colt break a ruger will just keep going
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
S&W 586 FTW.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top