BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Combat shotguns are awesome.
If you’re a bird ALL shotguns are combat.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Or maybe some of us have a shit ton of experience with them and realize the massive limitations and narrow scope of them and feel other weapons are better suited for the job of home defense or room clearing.

I enjoy shotguns both tactical shotguns like the m4 and classic double barrel shotguns. But when it comes to home defense, clearing rooms, or property defense, I am not reaching for a shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm getting spun up it's because people with no idea of what shotguns bring to the table feel like they need to spout off about them.

Of course it's not a replacement for rifles in modern day infantry tactics. So maybe you should bring it down a notch, or dont because it's your ignorance on display.

Or maybe some of us have a shit ton of experience with them and realize the massive limitations and narrow scope of them and feel other weapons are better suited for the job of home defense or room clearing.

I enjoy shotguns both tactical shotguns like the m4 and classic double barrel shotguns. But when it comes to home defense, clearing rooms, or property defense, I am not reaching for a shotgun.

I have no doubt there are some who have used both shotguns and rifles in combat prefer rifles. While my experience in Fallujah with a shotgun has left me biased towards shotguns for immediate stops I shoot more rifles than shotguns and plan on using a rifle in any shtf scenario due to ammunition
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They fly under the radar of the media and gun hating politicians. If you were to use one to defend your home it won't look like your some military wannabe terrorist (according to the media)
View Quote

I’ve never actually seen any media accuse someone defending their home in a home invasion as a “wannabe terrorist”. AR-15 or not.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like shotguns.  I want to like shotguns, but I have never found one I like enough to not trade in for something that's not a shotgun.  

I've had traditional, tactical, pumps, O/U, SxS, pumps, mossbergs, remingtons, winchesters, an Ithica, and some Brazilian thing. 20 gauges and 12 gauges.  I have never had a desire for a semi-auto shotgun.

I only morally regret selling the Ithica because I kind of screwed the kid that was selling it.  I was 25 (8 years ago and worse version of myself), and he was like 22yo.  He needed $100 bucks for something (pot needles I always assumed)  and said hey I have a shotgun I will sell you for $100.  Ok deal!  It was an Ithica O/U and I sold it for $300 cash the next day.  I can promise you though, my family needed the $300 more than he needed the $100.   About a week after that he calls me in a panic "dude I need that shotgun back!  Turns out my family is really mad I sold it."  I said "well, that sucks. I sold it.  Here's where it is, go buy it back."

Haven't talked to him since.

Now I do however have one shotgun that I will never part with but will likely never shoot.  It's a bolt action Sears Roebuck 12ga my grandpa bought when he was 12 yo.  Supposedly they're not safe.  I don't think I want to learn the hard way whether that's true or not.

Currently I think the next version of a shotgun I need to try is a 20ga SBS but that takes a little bit o' doin'.  MAYBE that'll be the one that tickles my fancy.  20ga pump with a short barrel and full size stock and wood furniture.  And a barrel shroud.  And some sweet tactical sights.  And a rail because they looks cool!

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But, how are they on skunks?
View Quote

Very well thank you.
#4 standard game load for the win.
Up fairly close use a standard skeet or super speed load as well.

Same thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, but when you shoot someone they jump up in the air and fly through walls..
View Quote

Lmao
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had a guy on my team carry one in a scabbard on his back on the streets of Iraq circa 2009. He got more respect than the guys with an M4. There's some cultural fear of it.
View Quote

Just curious. Respect from who? Fellow troops? The enemy? The non-combatant citizens?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just curious. Respect from who? Fellow troops? The enemy? The non-combatant citizens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a guy on my team carry one in a scabbard on his back on the streets of Iraq circa 2009. He got more respect than the guys with an M4. There's some cultural fear of it.

I'm assuming everybody if old boy carries himself right.

You know, kind of stiff like a hard dick and all.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh guns are like golf clubs they’re all optimized for certain areas.  The level they are suboptimal for in other areas varies.  

Which is why we should all agree 50bmg with a 20” bbl pretty much is the most versatile.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shot is capable of going further than you think it will. Your idea of it not being able to leave your property is false. At a mear
27 degrees, #8 shot can travel ABOUT 230 yards. 00 buckshot ABOUT 66o yards, and a 12 g slug ABOUT 1200 yards.
View Quote

Your right as to distances go.  considering my property lay out, and the surrounding countryside no shot or slugs will leave my property.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At the end of the day, for me, I think I'd be more likely to grab my Benelli M4 than my AR to investigate a bump in the night.

Plus, from a legal standpoint, wouldn't it be easier to justify/explain one or two rounds of buckshot than 5, 8 or 10 pulls of the trigger on an AR to stop a threat?
View Quote

If the legal thing is your concern, maybe stick with a bedside handgun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Coach guns are the only ones I'm interested in.
TOMBSTONE Clip - Gunfight at The O.K. Corral (1993) Kurt Russell
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Then there is the BIden advice on shot guns.   "Shoot through the door at the bad guys."  That has been used successfully in at least once in Washington state, I think.  I also believe it has been used else where not sure where though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Alright man, you are awesome. You win.

Shot guns are the absolute  bestest when you are defending your home at close range against one person and when you are surrounded by a squad of Marines with rifles and light machine guns. Happy now?

Fuck man. You are reading too much into this so enjoy whatever pithy comments you want to give.
View Quote

How often are you attacked by a squad of Marines? I know the answer, it is zero times. Your entire premise is stupid as fuck. Shotguns win close range encounters against home invaders if the home owner has even a small amount of training.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I carried one for years. A Mossberg 590. Other than shooting birds and locks there is really nothing they do better than an AR. They are easy to short stroke under stress. Easy to miss with, contrary to popular belief. They have a low capacity and are slow as shit to reload. Sure they deal some damage but overall they suck. Not to mention the black and blue shoulders from firing 100 plus slugs a day in training.

But…because I am an old(not too old) and sentimental bastard I think I am going to get a 590. Anyway, it will be cool to have one that doesn’t rattle like a steam engine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_8763_jpeg-3027889.JPG

ETA: don’t get too mad, I know I am pushing buttons. But mostly I really do mean it. That doesn’t mean they aren’t awesome.
View Quote

I relate to, and approve this message.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

5.56 has higher energy density per reload by far. Your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were popular during a time of trench warfare.

Different Era.

Trenches and hallways aren't effectively any different from each other, and at any rate trenches never went away so it isn't a different era at all. But in WWI, your option was a 4 foot long bolt action rifle or a pump shotgun. There's an obvious close-quarters advantage for the shotgun there.

When we have intermediate cartridge, autoloading carbines, the shotgun is less desirable than it used to be.

There's a reason there's a 12 gauge next to me and not an intermediate cartridge.

There is a significant performance gap.

No there's not, you're just emotionally attached to it. Which is fine, it's not like it won't kill people still.

There's a significant performance gap between a 12gauge and a 556.

This idea that a 556 is equal to a 12 gauge is laughable. Are you that ignorant to think ab77 gr bullet at 2800fps will perform the same as 1 ounce at 1400fps? Seriously I've used both vs men and deer and there is no comparison.

That only makes sense if the only performance measure in existence is energy on target. It isn't.

The performance measure is what happens after you pull the trigger.

I get you haven't probably shot many people or game but the difference between a 12gauge and a 556 is pretty significant.

5.56 has higher energy density per reload by far. Your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant.

Lol wut
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Coach guns are the only ones I'm interested in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEkaGJnkAk
View Quote

Coach guns are a hoot.    I use one a couple off times a yr at the trap club and piss the rich guys off when I shoot as well as they do with their real expensive trap guns.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Savages. They often fear bayonets, shotguns and pistols more than rifles for cultural reasons
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
[Tested reliable] semi-auto shotguns > pump guns. I bought a Mossberg 930 Tactical years ago and gave my Winchester 1300 to one of my sons. My HD gun is still an MP5 though. I don't really want to experience a blast from a 12 gauge at 0 dark thirty.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right tool for the job and all that. There is no cheaper or easier way to put down more significant damage from a shoulder fired weapon. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know and work within its limitations either.

Go to :54. Semi graphic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu6XgtS02w

How many here are going to be stepping into combat tomorrow? Do you own more guns than you can carry into combat at one time? Or is it a preference or financial issue that you’re validating by saying a gun has no purpose? Buy guns. Shoot guns. Have fun and learn skills you will hopefully never need.
View Quote

damn that sure looks like it would hurt
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the Iraqi army and Iraqi police who were our friends during the day, and the local nationals.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Short stroking is a gunshop fairy tale.  I've never done it and I've never seen anyone do it under real world conditions.  If you do it, you are untrained on the weapon and would fuck up just about any OTHER weapon you were never trained on.

View Quote

I've seen it plenty in competitions.  People that aren't going to make a pump the love of their lives (like I do), should just get an autoloader.

My old M590 has been gussied up with a Magpul stock and a Streamlight foreend, and will remain one of my most beloved guns, but this thing is pretty cool (when it's running well):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Is the cookie monster of shotgun shells.

No short stroking. Hold more freedom seeds than most ars.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've seen it plenty in competitions.  People that aren't going to make a pump the love of their lives (like I do), should just get an autoloader.

My old M590 has been gussied up with a Magpul stock and a Streamlight foreend, and will remain one of my most beloved guns, but this thing is pretty cool (when it's running well):

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/707EC97E-3D63-4B69-9921-D25E26600E90_jpg-3028075.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short stroking is a gunshop fairy tale.  I've never done it and I've never seen anyone do it under real world conditions.  If you do it, you are untrained on the weapon and would fuck up just about any OTHER weapon you were never trained on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/707EC97E-3D63-4B69-9921-D25E26600E90_jpg-3028075.JPG

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I've never shot anything big with buckshot, but small animals cease to exist.

I've shot something like 20 Ohio deer with slugs.  Holy shit, they do a lot of damage.  Back in the early days, we used Foster style, full diameter, soft lead hollow point slugs.  Their trajectory sucked, but a 3/4" entry wound, and a 1 1/2" exit wound, with everything in between utterly destroyed, has to be seen to believed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tell the Germans that.
View Quote

Those ones are dead, so you can't.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They were popular during a time of trench warfare.

Different Era.
View Quote
Ukraine has entered the chat
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a 1301 comp. 9 rounds of semi auto hate.

Loaded with these:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_9494_jpeg-3027993.JPG

That do this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_9451_jpeg-3027991.JPG

Imagine buckshot attached to a slug that break off when hitting tissue.
View Quote

@rabidus who makes that round? I’d like to try it on hogs
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Never been in combat with a shotgun but I dropped a 350lbs black bear dead charging at me and my sons with 00 buck at around 20 yds. I have no worries about my M4 doing its job.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#32]
My agency got rid of all of our shotguns (14” scattergun technologies 870’s).  An M4 with 11.5” barrel was just superior.

I’m an old fart though and so I keep my Benelli M1 Super 90 because I like it.  I’m grabbing an AR for any serious self defense though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#33]
They are barbarous relics. 3 gun gave them a false new life they don't deserve.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are barbarous relics. 3 gun gave them a false new life they don't deserve.
View Quote

Everyone hates the shotgun stages in 3-gun
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The performance measure is what happens after you pull the trigger.

I get you haven't probably shot many people or game but the difference between a 12gauge and a 556 is pretty significant.
View Quote

Can confirm. Every hog I’ve ever shot with 12 gauge slugs was DRT without taking another step. Not always the case when using 556 for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How often are you attacked by a squad of Marines? I know the answer, it is zero times. Your entire premise is stupid as fuck. Shotguns win close range encounters against home invaders if the home owner has even a small amount of training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright man, you are awesome. You win.

Shot guns are the absolute  bestest when you are defending your home at close range against one person and when you are surrounded by a squad of Marines with rifles and light machine guns. Happy now?

Fuck man. You are reading too much into this so enjoy whatever pithy comments you want to give.

Read the post again.

He's trying to say that when you have a squad of Marines WITH you, things like slower reloads aren't as big of a deal when there's a bunch of your guys covering you.

The thing is, unless you're a drug dealer fighting off a rip crew, how often will you need to fire more than 7 rounds of buck or slugs in an HD situation? A CoM hit with 00 or #1 buckshot, or a Foster slug inside home defense distances, is probably the closest thing to a genuine 1-shot stopper.

The Benelli M4 in the closet has #1 Flite Control in front, and Brenneke Black Magic slugs at the end, with more slugs in the side saddle (if the buck up front wasn't enough, I'll probably want some barrier penetration).

That said, my HD choice is the Tavor. Short and maneuverable. Rearward balance allows for easy 1-handed use, while opening doors, grabbing young 'uns or whatever. Mag has 77gr TMK up top and RA556B at the bottom for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#39]
If I have to rock out in a building. It’s going to be with a Benelli M4, Yugo M92 or an MP40.

that’s why you need a shot gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I disagree mossy 500, palm Grove outside Baghdad,  doves an surprisingly couple turkeys.........
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I own 6 AR's.  My bedroom gun is a Beretta 1301 with a Mesa Tactical dampener and loaded with Federal #1 Flite control.

You're welcome to break into my house and find out how well it works.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loaded with these:

That do this:

@Action45

I make my own but you can get them here:

$25/10
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Action45

$25/10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loaded with these:

That do this:

@Action45

$25/10

Thx bro
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Page 4 too late to chime in, but…

I’m always surprised on Arfcom to read about short stroke problems.

Years of hunting desert quail at nearly a dead run to keep up with the covey, and have never had a problem with a Remington 870.

I’ve had more problems with ARs tbh.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I carried one for years. A Mossberg 590. Other than shooting birds and locks there is really nothing they do better than an AR. They are easy to short stroke under stress. Easy to miss with, contrary to popular belief. They have a low capacity and are slow as shit to reload. Sure they deal some damage but overall they suck. Not to mention the black and blue shoulders from firing 100 plus slugs a day in training.

But…because I am an old(not too old) and sentimental bastard I think I am going to get a 590. Anyway, it will be cool to have one that doesn’t rattle like a steam engine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_8763_jpeg-3027889.JPG

ETA: don’t get too mad, I know I am pushing buttons. But mostly I really do mean it. That doesn’t mean they aren’t awesome.
View Quote

They don't even shoot bucks better.

Shooting birds and delivering specialist payloads if you don't have a 40mm is all they're good for.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Inside a house a SBS shotgun is pretty damn awesome. But aside for that they are outdated weapons, give me a short AR...
View Quote

If reliable semi auto carbines didn't exist then a shotgun is a perfectly fine weapon. But they do and are better in every way. Now that they aren't even more expensive, the shotgun is redundant.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Get both. 40mm buckshot is cool too. https://azaoinc.com/shop/ols/products/40mm-buckshot-round

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Combat shotguns are awesome.
If you’re a bird ALL shotguns are combat.
View Quote

Lol

If you think of a hall as a trench, or maybe if overing a door and waiting on the assailant to rush you.

Honestly I would prefer an AR, but not gonna disown my 1301.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top