Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2016 9:42:05 AM EDT
Heritage not hate.  Respond with how you are related and one of your ancestor's name who served the Confederacy honorably, rank and unit designation.  I would limit to one ancestor because many of us have all 8 great-grandfathers who served.   Here is one of mine:

My grandfather's grandfather, Henry B. Majors, Sergeant, 14th Mississippi, Featherstone's Brigade.

Henry and his two brothers surrendered at Vicksburg the first time and at Greenville, S.C. the last time.  All three survived without a scratch or even getting sick as far as we know,
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Very proud of my heritage as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Co A, 2 BN, Mississippi Cavalry
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Terry's Texas Rangers, my great-great-great grandfather on all paternal side.

Going back further, I have an ancestor who was at San Jacinto, and another that was captured and sent to Mexico City in the Mier Expedition. He chose a white bean after a Mexican woman said the white beans were larger than the black.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
My ancestors were gearing up to fight the Franco-Prussian war at that time...... So we could take Alsace and Lorraine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Private Eli Woodley, 17th NC Infantry (2nd Organization) CSA.

Deo Vindice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't want to burst anyone's heritage bubble

The war was between Republicans and democrats and your ancestors were lied to by the democrats
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Jesse and Frank James

Quantell's Raiders

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#8]
These are all direct-line ancestors. There are many more siblings of these men and other cousins.

M.L. Lewis (1821-1919) – Pvt. Co. D 1st Battalion Mississippi Infantry CSA

Jeptha Hawkins Brasier (1826-1905) – Pvt. Co.’s I & K 6th Regiment Arkansas Infantry CSA

Carter Hamilton King (1845-1930) Pvt. Co.’s B (Monroe’s), E 12th Regiment & I (Wright’s Regiment) Arkansas Cavalry CSA

Joseph Brittain Dunn (1824-1896) Company A, 4th Arkansas Infantry CSA

Jesse L. Foster (1831-1905) Company B, 37th Arkansas Infantry CSA

Willis Pinkney Bass, Jr. (1826-1910) Pvt., Company I, 46th North Carolina Infantry CSA

Stephen Thomas Brock (S.T. Brock) – Co. A 2nd Georgia Infantry CSA. Enlisted 20 April 1861, Mustered out 6 May 1864 at Wilderness, Virginia

Willis David Houlditch (1824-1865) – Unknown Confederate Unit. Died at war January 1863, Battle of Arkansas Post.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The war was between Republicans and democrats and your ancestors were lied to by the democrats
View Quote

The war was about Southerners trying to repel invaders from a foreign country.  Many of my kin fought and bled, and in some cases made the ultimate sacrifice, defending their homes.  I remember their sacrifice, and I am teaching my children to do the same.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Charles Wilson.  13th SC.  Captured at Gettysburg and died as a p.o.w. at Ft. Delaware
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The war was about Southerners trying to repel invaders from a foreign country.  Many of my kin fought and bled, and in some cases made the ultimate sacrifice, defending their homes.  I remember their sacrifice, and I am teaching my children to do the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foreign country..lol

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I am currently serving in the Civil war to keep my rights as a White, straight, male in my country of birth.
#FBLM
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
PVT Phillip Souder Goodbread. Co K, 2nd regiment FLA Calvary and Co A, 3rd battalion FLA Calvary, CSA. Great great great grandpappy
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as I know all my ancestors were in Europe during that time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Great great grandfather was a Captain in Hood's Texas Brigade.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Mississippi, Alabama, & Texas
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shots fired !

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Great-Great Grandfather
Private 7th Georgia Infantry
Wounded twice and made it home or what was remaining of it. The house was 1 mile from Kennesaw Mountain.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Great great grandfather

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#21]
JOHN R LEWIS

6TH TENN CAV.

It also says G.O.G on his tombstone.  Not sure rank or what that means.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't know all the particulars, but my people on my Fathers side had a farm in Eastern Maryland, and there is no way they supported Lincoln!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Company I, 2nd Florida Infantry

W.H.H. McLeod, Sgt.

Great-great-grandfather.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#25]
George Noah Calvin Fulmer
Confederate Veteran. 15th SC Infantry, Co. I, CSA, a part of Kershaw's Brigade.

William Washington "Billy" Fulmer
3rd SC Regiment

Cockrell's to many to list

I am from South Carolina by the end of the war unless you were a cripple, younger than 14 or older than 60 you served.

On this side of the family we owned no slaves just farmers etc. Leesville/Batesburg and Columbia.

The Ravenel side was a different story.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#26]
James Allen Brickey,  Confederate Cavalry.    His grandfather, Peter Brickey, fought in the Revolutionary War.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#28]
James David Elkins, not sure of rank or unit.  KIA at the first Battle of Dalton.

Shame he had to go get himself killed while fighting for men to own other men.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Have no idea on my Dad's side of the  family, I think we came from Ireland too late or if not probably fought for the Union.

My Mom never knew her real father or any of his family so we will never know.

My wife's side though Nathan Bedford Forrest is a grandfather of some sorts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#30]

My family is from Missouri, so we literally had the brother-against-brother thing going on.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

MUH KIN!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Dykes, George Washington, b. Feb 28, 1843, d. Jul 22, 1922, Pvt Co B 18 Alabama Regt CSA
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great-Great Grandfather
Private 7th Georgia Infantry
Wounded twice and made it home or what was remaining of it. The house was 1 mile from Kennesaw Mountain.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ii7w2s.jpg
View Quote

Did you follow in the fraternity?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Two brothers. I'd have to look up how many greats - but James would be my paternal grandfather.
Sgt Neville, Henry Harold - 62nd Virginia Mounted Inf
Pvt Neville, James "Shamus"- 3rd Pennsylvania Cav
They got together every year after the war for a big family reunion -despite being on "opposite sides". To my understanding, Henry spent a lot of time in and did a lot of asskicking down South - if memory serves me correct. James' unit was never routed in battle while he was a part.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#36]
GGG Grandfather William John Hall (1825 - 1889)

served as a 2nd Lieutenant in Company C , 8th Georgia Battalion,GIST'S BRIGADE(Army of Tennessee)LITTLEFIELD VOLUNTEERS ( Co. C,8th Battalion
GA Volunteer Infantry)

Wounded ,was shot in the hip, and captured, he was imprisoned at Camp Chase Ohio. At the end of the war , was at Richmond for prisoner exchange. Walked 800 miles home to North Georgia after the surrender.

2 of his sisters, married Confederate soldiers , brothers from South Carolina. One sister was widowed in the fighting around Atlanta .

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=76150306
Their brother Jesse B Hall (1831-1864) served in Co. F , 1st GA Cavalry, and died of wounds in Kentucky

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=81511525

GGG Grandfather William H Holsonback(1829-1884) served as a Captain in Company C , 8th Georgia Battalion,GIST'S
BRIGADE(Army of Tennessee)LITTLEFIELD VOLUNTEERS ( Co. C,8th Battalion
GA Volunteer Infantry)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=43066858
GG Grandfather  

John Merrill Curtis (1827-1902) , along with his brothers,

Thomas Newton Curtis (1830 - 1907)

Daniel Boone Curtis (1839 - 1906)

William Naaman Nathan Curtis (1832 - 1901)
all served in Co. F , 1st Ga Cavalry.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#37]
4 quick ones off the top of my head, have 22 total including indirect:

Army of Tennessee
Co H, 7th Texas Infantry x2 (1KIA,1WIA)
Co C, 6th Mississippi Infantry, x3 (OS&B 1st LT/Capt, 2KIA)

Army of Northern Virginia
Co B, 13th Mississippi Infantry x1(NCO, 3rdCPL)
Co A, 49th Virginia Infantry x2 (NCO, 2ndSGT, WIA)

Dio Vindice, SCV
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#38]
As far as I know, on my father's side, two great great grandfathers were at least a part of a unit. Don't know much more than that.

No clue on my mother's side. They probably fought for the north.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Francis Marion Sampson
E Co 18th Regiment of Georgia Volunteers.

Lost his arm above the elbow in the Seven Days Battles of the Peninsular Campaign.  

After the war moved to Texas and died in Coleman, Tx in 1927 at the ripe old age of 89.

eta: I'm trying to narrow down which particular battle he was injured in.  I know arfcom has experts on just about everything so thought I would ask.

here is a copy of page 2 of his application for a Confederate Pension

He was injured on 27 June 1862, which means it was probably either Garnett's and Goulding's Farm or Gaine's Mill, but the document says (best guess) Seressday's fight around Richmond.   Anyone have a better reading from the picture or understand the reference?

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Harrell's Arkansas Cavalry.

Several Hulsey's from Hall County, GA

Some fought for both sides in Kentucky
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#41]
My 3rd Grandfather

This is the Civil War Records of Shadrach Vaught
Contributed by Doug Hester
Shadrach Vaught was born on 31 May 1841 and died in March of 1918. Shadrach was the son of John Vaught and Rebecca Murrow. His first marriage was to Mary Lee, daughter of Willis Lee. They had one child, Julia Vaught who married Robert Esdon of Georgetown, SC. He then married Amanda Bryant Bellamy, daught of Seth Bellamy and Sarah Matilda Bellamy. The following are some of the Confederate War records of Shadrach Vaught.

"Private L. Company, 7th Regiment, S.C. Infantry. He enlisted on 21 June 1861 in Conwayboro, SC under Capt. W. C. White. On roll October 31, 1862 as in hands of the enemy. On roll 13 April 1864 as absent, sick since 1 March 1864. On roll 30 June 1864 as absent, wounded since return. He was wounded also 13 Sept. 1862 at Maryland Heights."

The following are records made by Shadrack Vaught of his memory of the Confederate War.

"We, the Horry Volunteers, as we were called, met in Conway on the 24th day of June, 1861. Capt. W. C. White in command of the Company. At noon a good dinner was served with pleasure, under the big live oak trees in front of the Methodist Church, after which a thrilling address was delivered by Elder Betts, an aged preacher. We were then marched off amidst waving handkerchiefs and a roar of cannon. We were conveyed to Cool Springs by carts, wagons, and buggies and there bivowacked that night. The next day we were conveyed to Marion Court House and on the 26th were mustered in service by Colonel Miles. Left that evening for Wilmington, N.C. The next morning we left for Petersburg, VA, spent the night there. Next morning we went on to Richmond where we stopped a day or two. We left there on the 30th of June for Manasas Junktion, Virginia and bivowacked that night. July 1st we marched out through Fairfax Village, the Count seat. And in about one mile we met the 7th SC Regiment to which we had been assigned as Company L.

The 7th regiment was commanded by Colonel Bacon and belonged to Brigadier General W. L. Bonhams Brigade. The second regiment under the Colonel J.B. Kershaw, the 3rd regiment under Colonel J.D. Nance, and the 8th regiment under Colonel E.B.C. Bash. Each regiment membered about 1000 rank and file and belonged to the army of Northern Virginia. At this place we drilled and did camp duty. On the morning of the 16th of July, W.A. Dusenbury, G.A. Dusenbury, Wilson Edge, and myself, were detailed for picket duty. This was my first time on picket. Our post was about 23 miles south west of Washington, D.C., stationed at a fine well of water. We were kindly entertained by 3 ladies of the place with biscuits and butter, lite loaf and buttemilk. The next morning after sunrise, our joys ceased when we saw the long dark lines of blue coats and glittering muskets coming over the hill. The yankee army under General Scott was now on we four boys. As we left the yard, the advance guard fired a cannon at us. It only cut down a fine cedar tree in Mr. Spears yard. We arrived in cmp in time to join our company and fall back across Bull Run Creek where our army made a final stand the next day. There was some skirmishing. We all worked with a will, making a temporary breat work as best we could on Sunday, the 21st. The battle opened sure heavy fighting right, left, and in front about 3'oclock that evening. Bonhams brigade was ordered to the front and out we went doublequick, made good every order, captured a fine battery, four cannon, with large piles of knapsacks, cooking utensils and C, also a few prisoners. Thus the Federal Army was completely routed in full retreat for Washington. The Confederates had achieved a grand victory at the first battle of Manassas.

On Monday morning, we pursued the retreating army to Falls Church, a little village, eight miles south west of Washington. Our army then dropped back a few miles, went in quarters and went to drilling in earnest. The 7 regiment camped at Flint Hill and used water from Mr. Spears good well where some of us had had our first picket experience. We remained at Fling Hill until September, where G.W. Ward and yself were taken sick, and sent to Chimboraze Hospital at Richmond, Virginia. It was here we first met Dr. R.C. Carlisle and learned to love him. We were transferred to Manchester Hospital just across the James River. Here we had the attention of Doctor Bissel, Doctor F.L. Parker, and his brother, Doctor John Parker. We were duly returned to camp, went into winter quarters on Bull Run Creek where we spent most of the winter ending our first years campaign.

about the time we broke winter quarters, several of the regiment had yellow jaundice and ws sent to the hospital at Charlottesville, Virginia. David Raben, Joseph Hucks, and myself, were together under charge of Dr. Thompson at this place. I first met Dr. T.G. Teague here.

The University of Virginia is situated in this beautiful little town in the centre of the old Dominion. Near by is the Jefferson Mountain and the Monticello, both beautiful to look at. P.V. Cox, Capt. G.T> Litchfield and myself while here visited the residence of President Thomas Jefferson. This Albermarle County was the centre of the State they told us. When we started back to camp, a wreck ocurred about nine miles south of Hanover Courthouse. We boys undertook to walk to Hanover and took a soaking rain on the way. We stopped with a good Samaritan who with his kind family cared for us that night showed us his guinea pigs and white rabbits.

When we arrived at town, Peter Cox had a hgh fever. The doctor detailed me to help nurse our sick comrade, but he lived but a few days and died about evening. Longstreets corps was ordered to the Peninsula about 75 miles east of Richmond. Doctor Clifton sent me back to Chimborase with W.F. Singleton and W.H. Hardee to wait for the Kershaws Brigade. They passed at night and we followed the next day. We joined our company below Williamsburg where we waited reinforcements. The approach of McClellans army by water one evening about the first of May. The 7th was ordered on picket duty. We marched in slow rain until dark. We were ordered to build piles of brush that had been cut down previously and fire the brush. The regiment formed hastily, moved at quick step silently our fine lights got a heavy shelling, but burned nothing. Only two fo Company L reached camp that night, Leuit. G.T. Lichfield, H.J. Barnhill, and myself took refuge in an old Black Smith Shop. We would not have fire, rather a bad place to sleep, however, we enjoyed our stay in the old shop and all got in safely the next morning, no one hurt. We all had a laugh at our indian caper and was ready for the next. I think it was on the 3rd of May the regiment ws ordered to bring up fence rails. They were oak, cedar, and chestnut. We piled them and set fire. They made a fine light. Lee's army must now fall back to Richmond and as we took up our line of march, Kershaws Brigade was rear guard. We marched all night as we enterd Williamsburg, McClellans Advance picket guard overtook us and opened up a brisk connonade. On hasty orders, the 7th regiment bout faced, doublequick and the black horse artillery was going back full speed on the muddy street to check the advance. As we filed right and formed line of battle, one of the 8th regiment had his head shot off at out side. All the boys had got amused at Major Seibles awkward command some other amusing incident occured amidst the bursting shells and long range bullets.

We held our ground until light, for we had over 500 wagons in the city, the quartermaster said. I think he saved them all. We moved on, covering that long line of wagons and artillery. I think that General Barkdales Mississippi Brigade relieved us the next morning. There was but little fighting on that long march. Think we were on that march until the last of May, suffering extremely for rations, as the commissary wagons were necessarily kept well to the front, six or seven miles a day, being all that army could make. It halted about six miles east of Richmond and the 7th reorganized.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#42]
my family fought on both sides.  hell, brothers fought against each other.  meh
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#43]
My GG grandfather. Co. C 1st Texas Partisan Rangers Cavalry.

Later Years

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Per my mother, Gen Robert E Lee, 8th cousin, moms side.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#46]
My great, great, great uncle was John Wilkes Booth, does that count for anything?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern education system teach you that? Or did you come up with that on your own?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Had a relative that was captured at Vicksburg. Will look up his info when I get home.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Private Redacted

17th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. under the command of the venerable General Patrick Cleburne

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top