Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My great, great, great uncle was John Wilkes Booth, does that count for anything?
View Quote

If you are related to John Wilkes Booth, you are also related to his older brother Edwin, who voted to re-elect Lincoln!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My GGG Grandfather, Cicero Laney, Pvt. Co. E 20th Georgia Infantry, Bennings Brigade, Hoods Division, Longstreets Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

Interesting story on SCV page: http://scv507.weebly.com/laney-william-cicero.html

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Terry Bagwell
Great Great Grand Father
Private, 15th Mississippi Regiment, Company I - Choctaw Guard
Three other brothers served. One died in a Yankee hell hole prison in Indiana.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
E.I. Addison, 1837-1900,  Fournet's Yellow Jacket Battalion and afterwards in the 18th Louisiana Inf.

RIP

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As far as I know all my ancestors were in Europe during that time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The wife's side has had a presence in Montross Va. since 1639. All Sanfords served in the war of Northern Aggression.

9th Regiment, Virginia Infatry, Company C
15th Regiment, Virginia Calvary, Company A
47th Regiment, Virginia Infatry, Company C
55th Regiment, Virginia Infatry, Company E
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thomas Shelton, PVT, 23rd NC Infantry, Captured Day1 Gettysburg, released 1865. Fought at Seven Pines, Seven Days Battle, South Mountain, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg.

Irvin Roland Roberts, 2nd LT, 6th GA Cavalry. Only know for sure he was present at Appomattox.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Had many ancestors in the war, all that I have been able to trace that far fought in the war on the southern side. But OP said pick one.

George Dare
41st Mississippi Infantry

Participated in the night assault at Franklin when Hood threw Lee's corps into the meat grinder as they arrived late in the evening.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hugh A. Haralson a little before the war, but an interesting cat nonetheless.

His daughter married this guy

I have relatives scattered all over the losing side of that war.

The other side of my family was busy trying to get the fuck out of Ireland.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
We don't talk about that unfortunate and embarrassing acts of my ancestors.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you go about searching for this?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I found this picture in my great, great, great grandmother's family photo album. I think it might be from the civil war.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I found this picture in my great, great, great grandmother's family photo album. I think it might be from the civil war.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b489/trbrst/81d05f481befa2560d976809cb0b2b4d_zps0htbskir.jpg
View Quote

GET THAT YANKEE OUT OF HERE!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Capt. Elijah Tillman, 50th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H.  Joined 1861, wounded 1863 (mustered out due to wounds received at Chancellorsville), rejoined 11th Regiment, Georgia State Guard in August 1863.  Survived the war.

Note about the Captain's family -  13 Tillmans served. 6 died, 4 were captured, 1 surrendered at Appomattox, 2 were mustered out due to wounds.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Two distant relatives.  Both were poor ass, dirt farmers. (think Jed Clampett before hitting oil). Neither one owned any slaves.  Neither had any chance of ever owing a slave.  Yet, both signed up to defend their native eland from the damn Yankees.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Francis Marion SampsonE Co 18th Regiment of Georgia Volunteers.
Lost his arm above the elbow in the Seven Days Battles of the Peninsular Campaign.  
After the war moved to Texas and died in Coleman, Tx in 1927 at the ripe old age of 89.

eta: I'm trying to narrow down which particular battle he was injured in.  I know arfcom has experts on just about everything so thought I would ask.

here is a copy of page 2 of his application for a Confederate Pension

He was injured on 27 June 1862, which means it was probably either Garnett's and Goulding's Farm or Gaine's Mill, but the document says (best guess) Seressday's fight around Richmond.   Anyone have a better reading from the picture or understand the reference?

View Quote

That is the Seven Days fight around Richmond, VA  June 27, 1862
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't want to burst anyone's heritage bubble

The war was between Republicans and democrats and your ancestors were lied to by the democrats
View Quote

Yes.  The Republicans supported a strong federal government that ruled from DC with the Feds exerting control over all activities that were supposedly 'reserved for the states or people'.  The Democrats firmly believed in states rights with the federal government having limited powers as outlined in the Constitution.  Which way do you lean?

ETA... A tdbit from the "Geneology Trails" book about the 50th Regiment, Co H, (Colquitt County, GA) which had 10 of my relatives as members:
"As has already been noted, Colquitt had very few slaves, at any time, and none of her citizens looked on slavery as indispensable to their welfare personally. While the county was a part of Lowndes and Thomas, the citizens of Colquitt territory, living remote from the county sites of these original counties, had practically nothing to do with politics, local, state, or national; and, when the Secession War came on, there was no great feeling among her citizens among themselves, or, for that matter, against any outsiders. In all, some fifteen or twenty of the men enlisted or conscripted in the armies of the Confederacy, lost their lives; but not a life was lost in guerrilla or partisan fighting."
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Great Great Grandfather on my mothers side.  10th (?) TN Volunteers.  Captured, interred in Indiana, paroled, reupped, discharged because of dysentery. Found his pay records in an old Bible in an attic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Company E and later Company C of the Cherokee Mounted Volunteers "Rifles".
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My family doesn't celebrate traitors or failures.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Paternal Great Grandfather.  My sis-in-law was researching and best we can tell he was mustered in at Silver Run, Al. (Munford, Al) and was only like 15 years old.  Can't recall the details now, but the outfit he was in was at Chicamauga and he was later wounded/captured at Vicksburg. What happened to him after V-burg is kind of sketchy.  (deserted?  mustered out for wounds? no idea) We do have a copy of a Confederate pension application he applied for when he was old. I need to get with some CW researcher.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deserter, huh? I understand how upsetting that could be!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
John T. Hanshew -  51st Virginia ,, he was my great grandfather.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
My Grandfather's Grandfather( he sired my great grandmother when he was 60 on his third wife):

Hubbard Warner, 42nd NC, Co. G. Shot 4 times, was captured at Sayler's Creek within days of the surrender of the A.N.V. Retuned in July, 1865 after being starved at Point Lookout weighing 135 lbs at 6'5" tall. Lived to almost 90, still rode his horse a few miles up to the local bar in his 80's. We still have 3 fence posts at the farm that his son cut from Balck Locust trees. You could say our roots run deep. I've been told I inherited his True Blue Eyes, aka Scottish Blue.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see your location, and as someone who is 1/4 Floridan who had two ancestors fight in the War from Suwannee County, <Edit -40xb>.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Francis Marion SampsonE Co 18th Regiment of Georgia Volunteers.

Lost his arm above the elbow in the Seven Days Battles of the Peninsular Campaign.  

After the war moved to Texas and died in Coleman, Tx in 1927 at the ripe old age of 89.
http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/3fab6ecf-2552-4c02-8786-7401d45f6e33.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq&maxWidth=1663&maxHeight=881
eta: I'm trying to narrow down which particular battle he was injured in.  I know arfcom has experts on just about everything so thought I would ask.

here is a copy of page 2 of his application for a Confederate Pension

He was injured on 27 June 1862, which means it was probably either Garnett's and Goulding's Farm or Gaine's Mill, but the document says (best guess) Seressday's fight around Richmond.   Anyone have a better reading from the picture or understand the reference?

Damn that would make sense, just couldn't read it that way.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still holding on for King George then?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of the folks replying here have photos and handwritten notes actually written by the veteran and passed down from generation to generation.  The stories are also passed down repeatedly from the old people to the young people in each family.  Then to be sure you go to your state department of archives and history to verify by the pension record.  Census records also help.  You have to make an appointment ahead of time with our department of archives explaining what you want to see.

A side note:  It is documented in writing and referred to by author and historian Shelby Foote in a PBS interview that when a Union soldier asked a captured Confederate why he was fighting when he had no shoes or food, the Confederate replied, "Because you are here".  My grandmother's aunt was a new bride during the Civil War and lived long enough to explain that our family fought simply because Union troops took all their food, livestock and goods.  They called it foraging.  Very few if any slaves in our area because of the lack of row crops due to hilly terrain.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b489/trbrst/81d05f481befa2560d976809cb0b2b4d_zps0htbskir.jpg
View Quote

So your great great grandfather was a complete piece of shit? Wonder if it runs in the family......
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My great, great grandfather;
Amous 2A373, 1st Sgt, Company G, 50th North Carolina Infantry Regiment

His four brothers;
Cebren 2A373, Private, Company G, 50th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (KIA)
William 2A373, Private, Company G, 50th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (KIA)
Martin 2A373, Private, Company F, 58th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (KIA)
Drury 2A373, Private, Company C, 34th North Carolina Infantry Regiment

And my great, great grandfather's M1841 Mississippi rifle that I have.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Win.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Capt Allen Kelly Ga.
KIA 2nd Battle of Manassas
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My great, great, great uncle was John Wilkes Booth, does that count for anything?
View Quote

We may be related.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I found some info on mine.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm?submitted=1&battleUnitCode=CNC0050RI
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Und ze 40xb's ver in Germany also enjoying ze schnitzel und Bier
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Renos were in Vienna eating schnitzel.

Und ze 40xb's ver in Germany also enjoying ze schnitzel und Bier

And the swedes were in Sweden, eating herring.

We're still here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know if I have any family that fought in the civil war, but I haven't branched out too far.

I did however, go back to the 1600s to this lady:

My grandmother has a vase that was given to the lady in the painting for her birthday (the day she was born IIRC).

I wonder if I still have distant family in England. In the 70s, my mother received a letter from a noble person in England who is a very distant cousin or something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I am pretty sure I was a Confederate private in a previous life.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#42]
My Great-Great Grandfather on my father's side. He's buried in the Wolf Creek Church cemetery in the sprawling metropolis of Tiger, GA.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of my family fought on both sides, most were conscripts for the Union Army right off the boat, Irish immigrants. A few had come to the states a decade earlier and were in the Confederacy. I don't know if any of them ever met in battle. They were all distant cousins or great-great-great+ uncles. Somewhere I have some photos of the graves of those who served from Alabama.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Heritage not hate.  Respond with how you are related and one of your ancestor's name who served the Confederacy honorably, rank and unit designation.  I would limit to one ancestor because many of us have all 8 great-grandfathers who served.   Here is one of mine:

My grandfather's grandfather, Henry B. Majors, Sergeant, 14th Mississippi, Featherstone's Brigade.

Henry and his two brothers surrendered at Vicksburg the first time and at Greenville, S.C. the last time.  All three survived without a scratch or even getting sick as far as we know,
View Quote

None. At that time period my ancestors were riding the steppes under the Tsar.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't have the info readily available but I have seen documentation.

GG? Grand father named Andrew Jackson Moss.

From Arkansas but was part of some outfit from Georgia.

Was injured to some extent but survived.

I have seen a photograph of him but no one seems to be able to find it.

Here is a photo of him late in life that I found on the web.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I have some Ancestors with the surname of Kinsey that lived in Jones County, NC.  They were slave holders and some would have fought in the Civil War.   I know of many more ancestors that fought for the side of the Union.  Apparently the Kinsey's that I am descended from did something and were kicked out of the Quaker religion after the Civil War. They left NC and went to Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Kirkwood,.

ANDERSONVILLE.

Captured...

Pennsylvania.

Screw you Confed people....but I understand heritage.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#48]
One of my ancestors may have fought some of your ancestors.  

Frances Fidler   Company C, 27th PA

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#49]
9th Florida Regiment.  

During the war the Florida regiments were combined and reorganized at different times.  I think he was in four different named regiments but was with the same group of guys he enlisted with..

He fought at Olustee to turn back the filthy Yankee invasion of Florida.

He was later sent to defend Richmond and was in the Battle of Cold Harbor.

The two big battles he fought in were overwhelming victories for the Confederacy.

He was wounded in the leg at Cold Harbor.

He said piss on the loyalty oath after the surrender.  He never took it.  He walked from Richmond back to Central Florida with a bad leg.  That was back before I-95 was built.

He wrote 190 letters during the war and we have donated them to the Library at the University of Florida.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#50]
3rd Great Grandfather, a major in Georgia. All of his sons but my 2nd GG died trying to stop Shermans troops from raping women and children and bayonetting babies when they pillaged and burned Atlanta.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top