Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's pretty shocking when your entire experience with the police is three police cruisers stopping your teenaged self on the way home from work at 9 pm, because being out that late is suspicious behavior.  Or a cop showing up and threatening you with a disturbing the peace charge because your neighbor, half a mile away called to complain that you were cutting wood on a Saturday afternoon.  Or you were threatened with a disturbing the peace charge if you didn't decide to let things slide after you called the police when someone pepper sprayed your leashed dog or hurled a beer bottle at your car as you were driving by.  Or got pulled over after stopping at a stop sign and were told you blew through it at at least 30 mph.  Or a cop shows up and demands to talk to every single person in the house after every single house on the street suddenly and mysteriously calls 911 and doesn't say anything.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instances like this happen every single day, but are not as remarkable or salacious as to counter the "If it bleeds, it leads" headlines.

It's pretty shocking when your entire experience with the police is three police cruisers stopping your teenaged self on the way home from work at 9 pm, because being out that late is suspicious behavior.  Or a cop showing up and threatening you with a disturbing the peace charge because your neighbor, half a mile away called to complain that you were cutting wood on a Saturday afternoon.  Or you were threatened with a disturbing the peace charge if you didn't decide to let things slide after you called the police when someone pepper sprayed your leashed dog or hurled a beer bottle at your car as you were driving by.  Or got pulled over after stopping at a stop sign and were told you blew through it at at least 30 mph.  Or a cop shows up and demands to talk to every single person in the house after every single house on the street suddenly and mysteriously calls 911 and doesn't say anything.

Ever hear of internal affairs???

Majority of cops terminated from my agency in last year were as a direct result of IA investigating citizen complaints.  A GOOD cop hates a BAD cop worse than any citizen ever will.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instances like this happen every single day, but are not as remarkable or salacious as to counter the "If it bleeds, it leads" headlines.

Well that sucks. I can see where that would tend to give one a gimlet eye.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

On "routine" traffic stops which make up 90+% of my stops, 5% or less.
On DWI investigations 100% of the time
On stops where I have reasonable suspicious criminal activity is going on 100% of the time

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1057, just answer this question: when you ask someone where they are going, what %of the time are you fishing and what % are you looking to help the fellow avoid a traffic issue?

On stops where I have reasonable suspicious criminal activity is going on 100% of the time

to be clear, are you saying, that in a routine stop for speeding etc, that when you ask where someone is going, only 5% of the timeyou are fishing, the other 95% of the time your motive is purely altruistic?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Majority of cops terminated from my agency in last year were as a direct result of IA investigating citizen complaints.  A GOOD cop hates a BAD cop worse than any citizen ever will.
View Quote

That's adorable.

Really.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's adorable.

Really.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's adorable.

Really.

Glad you think so.  

Makes more sense to sit on the internet and complain
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

to be clear, are you saying, that in a routine stop for speeding etc, that when you ask where someone is going, only 5% of the timeyou are fishing, the other 95% of the time your motive is purely altruistic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1057, just answer this question: when you ask someone where they are going, what %of the time are you fishing and what % are you looking to help the fellow avoid a traffic issue?

Nope.... Only 5% of the time on "routine" stops do I ASK.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My entire experience with police, besides routine traffic stops, has been being detained for being out at night, or for being armed, or both.  

I dont like being cuffed, disarmed and having some cop reach in my pants pockets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's adorable.

Really.

You know what'll really change people's minds about cops?

A funny wink from a cop after some nonsense about good cops and bad cops.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok. Thx.  Well when u do ask what % of the time are

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok. Thx.  Well when u do ask what % of the time are

Ok.  Well when u do ask on a routine stop, what % of the time are you looking to prevent the motorist from encountering a traffic issue?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's adorable.

Really.

Being as you deleted the text I included tells me you have your mind made up about police, and your choosing to sit on the computer and complain about it rather than exercising your rights as a citizen and complaining to the agency that can actually do something about problem cops in your AO
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My entire experience with police, besides routine traffic stops, has been being detained for being out at night, or for being armed, or both.  

I dont like being cuffed, disarmed and having some cop reach in my pants pockets.
View Quote

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of that myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I watched both as well. That second one really makes me nervous where this country is heading.  Wow! Shit that was close for you. Saladin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I watched both as well. That second one really makes me nervous where this country is heading.  Wow! Shit that was close for you. Saladin.

Heading? We are there.

Quoted:

Fuuuuuuuck.

I hate road blocks.  I hate them with all of my being.

I hate the people who fund and operate them. Really, I can't think of anything worse. The door-to-door searches in Boston, maybe, but it seemed you could just keep the door locked and not respond while you sat quietly with a rifle. Roadblocks, they stop your travel and hold you hostage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either... When it has to be done, I hope a rookie is on scene
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So in the almost 30 years you've been a cop, not one smartphone uploaded content to the cloud? Not one? Not in 30 years?

Reminds me of this movie, dumb, dumber and dumb as fuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.bambuser.com

"Take my phone, I don't care. The video is already gone to the cloud along with your career, asshole."

Rarely does it work that way.

I really don't see why the fools believe that, it's never happened in my almost 30 years of LE experience.

So in the almost 30 years you've been a cop, not one smartphone uploaded content to the cloud? Not one? Not in 30 years?

He's talking about police being held accountable, rarely is anyone fired for being an asshole, blue line and all that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok.  Well when u do ask on a routine stop, what % of the time are you looking to prevent the motorist from encountering a traffic issue?
View Quote

99.99% of the time
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, last summer, my Sergeant asked a dude at least 5 times if he had anything in his pocket that would, "Cut me, poke me, stab me". Kid said, "Nope".

Sergeant was still being careful and pinch/pulling the kid's pocket out, and got a needle stick from a loaded syringe full of cocaine.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He's talking about police being held accountable, rarely is anyone fired for being an asshole, blue line and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.bambuser.com

"Take my phone, I don't care. The video is already gone to the cloud along with your career, asshole."

Rarely does it work that way.

I really don't see why the fools believe that, it's never happened in my almost 30 years of LE experience.

We had a guy fired for having CONSENSUAL sex on duty that was also arrested and charged with sexual assault and official oppression.  Woman who officer was having sex with never pressed charges.

Ya, laugh it up with your infinite GD internet wisdom  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that's what you guys did for fun. A little pocket pool now and then.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Being as you deleted the text I included tells me you have your mind made up about police, and your choosing to sit on the computer and complain about it rather than exercising your rights as a citizen and complaining to the agency that can actually do something about problem cops in your AO
View Quote

Yes.  It was a lovely edit.

Didn't really change much.  You probably should have just left it as is.

What makes you think no one is doing anything?  Last I heard, they were working on eliminating the state police barracks and laying off half the local force.  Truly horrifying to people who think a cop for every 500 people in town is an acceptable state of affairs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup, last summer, my Sergeant asked a dude at least 5 times if he had anything in his pocket that would, "Cut me, poke me, stab me". Kid said, "Nope".

Sergeant was still being careful and pinch/pulling the kid's pocket out, and got a needle stick from a loaded syringe full of cocaine.

Fuckers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckers.

Wouldn't it behoove you to frisk the pocket first to get an idea what is inside? That is what they teach us when we transport legals and overdoses. I'm not sticking my hands into shit until I have an idea what's in there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, no Hotel/Motel here, big fella'!

But, like they say in training, if the suspect or you aren't a little embarrassed, you haven't searched them correctly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fuckers.
View Quote

Was it worth it?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it behoove you to frisk the pocket first to get an idea what is inside? That is what they teach us when we transport legals and overdoses. I'm not sticking my hands into shit until I have an idea what's in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckers.

He did do an outer pat. Kid was a student, and had several disposable pens in their too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Was it worth it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckers.

Was it worth it?

And what do you mean by that???
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was it worth it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckers.

Was it worth it?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What makes you think no one is doing anything?  Last I heard, they were working on eliminating the state police barracks and laying off half the local force.  Truly horrifying to people who think a cop for every 500 people in town is an acceptable state of affairs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just confirmed my theory..
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckers.

Was it worth it?

Was risking an infection of HIV or Hepatitis or God knows what else worth whatever he was looking for while rummaging through another man's pockets?

It's a fairly simple question.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was risking an infection of HIV or Hepatitis or God knows what else worth whatever he was looking for while rummaging through another man's pockets?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckers.

Was it worth it?

Rummaging? Are you serious!?

Let me flesh the story out a little for you.

Kid had an underage girl with him (15 yrs old). He and several buddies had plied her with alcohol, and he was a IV drug user. They thought it a great idea to head up into the mountains and race around the dirt roads, subsequently rolling and injuring everyone.

They were in the process of righting the righting the vehicle when Deputies arrived, and two had already run off into the dark, injured. Kid was high and drunk.

Incident to arrest, one is patted down, and items of contraband or potential weapons are removed and secured.

Was that still "rummaging"?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Kid had an underage girl with him (15 yrs old). He and several buddies had plied her with alcohol, and he was a IV drug user. They thought it a great idea to head up into the mountains and race around the dirt roads, subsequently rolling and injuring everyone.

They were in the process of righting the righting the vehicle when Deputies arrived, and two had already run off into the dark, injured. Kid was high and drunk.

Incident to arrest, one is patted down, and items of contraband or potential weapons are removed and secured.

View Quote

Sounds like your sergeant was pretty gullible.

How did he make sergeant?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you are trolling now. Obviously you didn't read where he pinch/pulled the pocket open, yet still was jabbed.

Please, regale us with a better solution, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

99.99% of the time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

99.99% of the time

Hang on, u,r tellin me, that unless someone seems to,b impared, when u ask,them where they r goin, it is,virtually always to help tgem avoid traffic problems.  

U virtually,never are fishing for,some incriminating or contradictory statement that u,can use to get a rs or pc to further detain and maybe search?

Nothing against u personally, I,just find that hard to beliee.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm ALL ears myself on this one as well
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sounds like you are trolling now. Obviously you didn't read where he pinch/pulled the pocket open, yet still was jabbed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying, if I were reaching into a known IV drug user's pockets, while he was currently high, post car wreck, I don't think I'd believe him if he told me there was nothing cutty, pokie, or stabby in his pockets.

I'm not a cop, though.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hang on, u,r tellin me, that unless someone seems to,b impared, when u ask,them where they r goin, it is,virtually always to help tgem avoid traffic problems.  

U virtually,never are fishing for,some incriminating or contradictory statement that u,can use to get a rs or pc to further detain and maybe search?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99.99% of the time

I remembered when I first learned how to text too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

After reading your post it's pretty clear why you have had issues with the police.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So let me get this straight.... I'm the evil police officer because a citizen exercised their rights, decided they no longer wanted to be detained by me, question by me or talk to me, and I didn't choose to further detain the guy against his will??

So am I to understand it's okay to detain someone with no PC, reasonable suspicion, nothing if it works to the citizens advantage??  Perhaps I should have set a road block on the route that gentleman decided to take.  

Y'all are a hoot... You choose to exercise your rights, your rights aren't violated and still you bitch...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stopped a guy the other day for a minor equipment violation, brake light out.  Explained to the gentleman why I stopped him and per policy I couldn't simply release him with a verbal warning, that I would have to write him a written warning.  

Well after I got finished and handed him his warning, I politely asked him where he was going.  He politely told me he didn't wish to answer any questions and asked if he was free to leave. I told him yes, and watched as he made a left turn onto a road that's about 15 miles long on an island with no side streets that was closed at the 14mile point because of a bad accident Troopers were working.  

Could have saved the guy 30 minutes as well as some gas.  All well

So, you are an ......  If you were a considerate guy, you would have volunteered that info to him, saved him hassle and save congestion at the accident scene.  But since he disrespected your authority by reasonably assuming you,were justjust going fishing or flexing your badge which is what cops are doing 99.99999% of the time when they askwhere you are going, you kept that helpful info to yourself.
Goes both ways, you don't wanna talk to me I don't wanna talk to you.  The officer was just exercising his constitutional right...

...to be an ....., yes.  If he wanted to be a thoughtful consideraye person who wants to make  the world a better place than he would have said: "bro, if u r going that way, watch out for...."   But no, instead of just volunteering the info, he asked the infamous "where are you going" question.  

You wanna talk about butthurt, you cops get awfully buthurt whrn we dont act all honoroed and fawn when you ask us where we are going.  Dont deny the purpose,of the question, virtually always, is to fish for incriminating info.  Why are you upset at people who are well informed enought to know that a copasking them for info is not in their interests.  

So let me get this straight.... I'm the evil police officer because a citizen exercised their rights, decided they no longer wanted to be detained by me, question by me or talk to me, and I didn't choose to further detain the guy against his will??

So am I to understand it's okay to detain someone with no PC, reasonable suspicion, nothing if it works to the citizens advantage??  Perhaps I should have set a road block on the route that gentleman decided to take.  

Y'all are a hoot... You choose to exercise your rights, your rights aren't violated and still you bitch...

You could have asked if he was headed down 'XY' Road, then when he said yes or asked why, informed him of the problem......

Maybe you could have changed his 'tude, around......
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Really?

After reading your post it's pretty clear why you have had issues with the police.
View Quote

Faulty 911 systems?  Annoying neighbors?

Please, enlighten me.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm just saying, if I were reaching into a known IV drug user's pockets, while he was currently high, post car wreck, I don't think I'd believe him if he told me there was nothing cutty, pokie, or stabby in his pockets.

I'm not a cop, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a cop, though.

So, you have nothing constructive to put forth on how to better clear one's pockets?

It was not known he was an IV drug user until after the syringe was found.

He had several disposable pens in the same pocket, the same size as the diabetic needle in the pocket.

An outer patdown was performed first.

A trained and acceptable practice of 'Pinch/pull" was utilized to ascertain what was in the pocket. No "reaching into" or "rummaging" occurred.

A needle stick occurred.

You are likely deliberately being obtuse, an idiot, or a troll.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please, enlighten me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Please, enlighten me.

I don't think that's possible, frankly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99.99% of the time

Presently I feel like your asking legitimate questions, no offense taken

Keep in mind I've been doing this job well over a decade, so experience helps me.  When I approach someone initially on a stop, the first 30-60 seconds of the "routine" stop I can usually determine by smells, plain sight, actions of driver(sweating when it's 40 degrees outside, ect) if this is routine stop or if I need to investigate further into possible criminal activity.

And correct, unless I spot a tell tell sign something's up, I don't start asking a million questions.  

I don't search many cars, but 9 out of 10 cars I do I make an arrest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So, you have nothing constructive to put forth on how to better clear one's pockets?

He had several disposable pens in the same pocket, the same size as the diabetic needle in the pocket.

A trained and acceptable practice of 'Pinch/pull" was utilized to ascertain what was in the pocket. No "reaching into" or "rummaging" occurred.

A needle stick occurred.

View Quote

Take his pants off if you're that worried about it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A needle stick occurred.

Does your Mom know you're still up?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Please, enlighten me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Please, enlighten me.

You do know 911 comes back to an actual phone # right?
70% of the domestic disputes that is the same excuses they always give.
I always love it when I do a call back and their phone rings.

As for the enlightening part, I'm not going to waste my time trying.
Seems you have it all figured out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You could have asked if he was headed down 'XY' Road, then when he said yes or asked why, informed him of the problem......

Maybe you could have changed his 'tude, around......
View Quote

Again, after traffic stop was concluded and "violator" was given a written warning. Going back to kindergarten here, at this point he was free to leave and I couldn't legally detain him any longer. Especially after if he asked if he was being detained.  Stop was over.  He didn't want to talk to me.

Under these circumstances am I to understand that it's ok to violate his rights and detain him?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A needle stick occurred.

But that would have started another great GD troll thread!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A needle stick occurred.

I can see the reaction on the roadside now:

"Sir, do you have anything on you that could cut me, poke me, stab, me?

"Nope"

"Ok, take your pants off!"

"What!?"
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A very safe community where homes start at about $800K and top out at about $35M and people from around the world pay $3,000 a night for hotel rooms.

So yes, if your under 18 and out after curfew mommy or daddy is getting a call unless its for school, work or church.  Preventing one vandalism or teenage pregnancy at a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Curfew?

Jesus Christ.  What kind of progressive shithole have you created/decided to work in?

A very safe community where homes start at about $800K and top out at about $35M and people from around the world pay $3,000 a night for hotel rooms.

So yes, if your under 18 and out after curfew mommy or daddy is getting a call unless its for school, work or church.  Preventing one vandalism or teenage pregnancy at a time.

Sounds like a rough area
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

No.  I'd better turn the lights off before she catches me.

She doesn't approve of arguing with police men on the internet.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Please, enlighten me.

When you're told, as they're leaving, that they're going door to door because the system is generating false calls...

Calling back could have saved a lot of time.

I feel bad for the guys at the end of the street who actually called, though.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passive/aggressive non answering of questions; misreading posts, and coming to your own conclusions despite what is detalied is not arguing.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top